Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 456 evo

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    ... and shorten stem

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    yeah, yeah, I know! Just not in the new house new dad budget.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    How do you guys like the ride of a hardtail after riding a full suspension?
    The 456 evo looks awesome and almost all the parts from my 5" squish bike should transfer but I have not ridden a hardtail for almost 2 years

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by babooski92 View Post
    The 456 evo looks awesome and almost all the parts from my 5" squish bike should transfer but I have not ridden a hardtail for almost 2 years
    I was hardtail free for about 2 or so years, then bought a steel 29er a couple of years ago. Used it as my "other" bike, but ended up riding it exclusively after my stumpy fsr was in the shop for about a month (shock was pushed). Had always liked the feeling of the hardtail, but assumed I'd never give up squish. After putting in a month on the hardtail, though, I realized all the squish was a bit much for my trials/riding style and suddenly having to climb in the saddle and listen to creaking etc. etc. just didn't feel worth it. So I sold the 29er and have my stumpy frame under my bed and now I'm gonna be hardtail all the time in 2013. It really isn't a big deal to go from a 5" or less trail bike to a hardtail if you run fat tires and your bike has slacker geo. My evo is quite forgiving, which means no back pain like I got from my previous hardtail SS, and it decends with a lot of confidence. It's really not that big a transition unless you do big drops & all that. Do it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I recently started riding a 1998 Rockhopper again just for grins and I've really been feeling the 26" wheel, after several years of only riding 29ers. Been thinking about building a longer travel 26" hardtail to complement my rigid 29er and this frame looks ideal.

Hmmm, I got my Pompino frame delivered two days ago, can I really go out any buy another frame for yet another build? I'd better check with my financial adviser / event planner

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    you go slower, and it beats you up, but in my opinion and experience a 26" hardtail is probably the most pure fun you can have on a mountain bike. the evo is so cheap it could make a great winter hardtail standby - swap parts over when the days get dark, higher trails are snowed in, etc. to maintain challenge and fun, and you may find yourself reinvigorated once you get back you your full squish in the spring. works for me every year

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 309 View Post
    My new 2012 One One 456 Evo.

Just finished this build on Sunday. in the last couple of days I've ridden it on street, trail, pump track, dirt jumps, and a dual-slalom course. It was grat on all of them. Really digging this bike. May do a proper build/ride thread later, but here's a quick pic for now:
    Hi sir. What stem are you using & a size 50mm stem?? And how about your seatclamp and a seatpost?

Thanks in advance...

Special Purpose
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by [ LLeR ] View Post
    Hi sir. What stem are you using & a size 50mm stem?? And how about your seatclamp and a seatpost?

Thanks in advance...
    50mm Nukeproof Zero stem
    27.2 Thomson Post
    29.8 Woodman Deathgrip Clamp

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by boomforeal View Post
    you go slower, and it beats you up, but in my opinion and experience a 26" hardtail is probably the most pure fun you can have on a mountain bike. the evo is so cheap it could make a great winter hardtail standby - swap parts over when the days get dark, higher trails are snowed in, etc. to maintain challenge and fun, and you may find yourself reinvigorated once you get back you your full squish in the spring. works for me every year
    Yeah the 456 seems like a great idea for winter riding. Who knows maybe i'll love it and keep it all year. And the price definitely makes it easier.
    Unfortunately my size is back ordered so i have to wait a couple weeks to get the frame.
    i'll be sure to post some pics when it's done.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yeah the 456 seems like a great idea for winter riding. Who knows maybe i'll love it and keep it all year. And the price definitely makes it easier.
    Unfortunately my size is back ordered so i have to wait a couple weeks to get the frame.
    i'll be sure to post some pics when it's done.
    I'm pretty happy riding my 456 outside of winter.

Boomfiled, what tires are you running? My 456 has 2.2 (now 2.3) specialized Purgatory and it really takes the edge off. Obviously it's not suspension, but it is a lot better than skinnier tires for sure. 2.4's would be even better I suspect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcitizen1 View Post
    I'm pretty happy riding my 456 outside of winter.

Boomfiled, what tires are you running? My 456 has 2.2 (now 2.3) specialized Purgatory and it really takes the edge off. Obviously it's not suspension, but it is a lot better than skinnier tires for sure. 2.4's would be even better I suspect.
    I have 2.5" Minion DHFs on my 456. I couldn't imagine anything less...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    I have 2.5" Minion DHFs on my 456. I couldn't imagine anything less...
    You're not fuc%in around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcitizen1 View Post
    You're not fuc%in around.
    Nope. No time for that sh!t.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 456 evo-481203_10151342633973586_1358977401_n.jpg  

The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    the 456 ti is on-line on On One Bikes homepage

this is it, I will order one once they become available.

I am planning to ride a tour around Mont Blanc in summer, the perfect ride for almost everything - I am not the bikepark, huge drop guy.
    ad vineas

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singularidad View Post
    the 456 ti is on-line on On One Bikes homepage

this is it, I will order one once they become available.
    Oh geez, my 456 Evo is only a few months old and now this. I wonder if my wife will notice. The Ti finish isn't *that* different than the raw steel to the untrained eye.
    Loud hubs save lives. http://about.me/splat/

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    my friends think im crazy for swapping a squishy frame for a hardtail steel one,
    happy to find other fans of the 456, barely a couple hours into ownership and im kinda stoked already.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    Nope. No time for that sh!t.
    What seat clamp & bar are you using? Builds are so similar, but you ride yours on way better **** then I have access to, ha ha.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Can't seem to find what diameter the headtube is, 1-1/8" or 1.5" straight? Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mces View Post
    can't seem to find what diameter the headtube is, 1-1/8" or 1.5" straight? Thanks
    1-1/8"
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just built this up, mostly taking components off of my 6" FS bike. I rode it for the first time today and really liked it. Need to get a chainguide, and in better shape running a 1x9!

photo photo_zps3cc7693f.jpg
    Last edited by LowLow; 01-28-2013 at 10:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Any one know where I can get my hands on an 18" raw?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So i swapped all the parts from my 5" squishy bike to an On One 456 evo. I have been very comfortable on my first few rides. I was expecting a much harsher ride but i think the steel frame and bigger tires help the ride. . It is a little tricky to climb techy stuff and i definitely need to slow down and pick my lines better in rock gardens but it is a ton of fun and is much more flickable than my old bike making the smooth flowy trails a blast. I really like the low and slack geometry.
    I have noticed that my shoes bounce around on my flat pedals much more. I think it's time to upgrade my Vans skate shoes to some 5.10's or maybe even go clipless

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Didn't want to start a new thread, but I'm hopefully getting one of these frames next week and had a sizing question. I'm 6'1" with long legs and arms. I don't know actual lengths, but I do know my tailor lengths, 34" jeans and 36" sleeve. I weigh 160lb. My current bike is a Trek 3700 21.5" frame and have always felt it was to big for me. Do you think I need a 18" or 20" 456 EVO?

mtbr member
    20". I'm about the same size as you and I can't eun as short a stem as I want to with the 20".

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Cool thanks. What stem do you run and what would you like to?

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast