Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 456 evo

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Dear Lord

2nd That Ti is Sexy - Seat tube diameter? Tire clearance? 650B? (I know that's s dirty word sorry)

I've been looking at a diet for my bike and Ti really fits the bill. The Fireline looks awesome, and now this. I'd be interested in a review between the two.

ps. I just took my Evo for a ride yesterday and it was AMAZING. Can't speak enough love about this bike. Honestly it's stupid how much fun you can have on a frame at this price point. I'll have to post up a review soon, but I've been waiting to get into some real mud first, and the wet season is just starting in UT.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hi. On-One's site states that the max fork length for the 456 Evo is 150mm but earlier posts stated that they're using a 160mm Lyrik. Is that okay to do? Anyone know what the a/c of the fork is that the geometry is based on?

I have 6" full suspension bike and I was hoping to just move everything over to the 456. It looks like this should work because I have a 1 1/8" fork, 10x135 rear, 27.2" seat post, and 73mm bb. Anything else I need to be concerned about?

Also, it looks like the US retailer doesn't have a 16" frame in stock. Should I just order it from the UK site or is there a better solution? It looks like I could save $50 or so on shipping if I could order it through the US dealer...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LowLow View Post
    I have 6" full suspension bike and I was hoping to just move everything over to the 456. It looks like this should work because I have a 1 1/8" fork, 10x135 rear, 27.2" seat post, and 73mm bb. Anything else I need to be concerned about?

Also, it looks like the US retailer doesn't have a 16" frame in stock. Should I just order it from the UK site or is there a better solution? It looks like I could save $50 or so on shipping if I could order it through the US dealer...
    I wanted a 16", but the website didn't have one. I waited a couple days checking every day and it was there last week so it was ordered. Wait a couple days and they'll have another.

What kind of fork do you have? You may be able to put a shim in it to reduce to 150mm. Make sure it's really 160; 150's are 5.9" so they're often sold as a 6" fork. Some manufactures even claim their 160's at 6.3" are 6.5".
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Hi. On-One's site states that the max fork length for the 456 Evo is 150mm but earlier posts stated that they're using a 160mm Lyrik. Is that okay to do? Anyone know what the a/c of the fork is that the geometry is based on?

Thanks!
    Don't worry about running the 160mm fork, I've run a 160mm marzocchi and it rode fine. It all depends on how slack you like your bike, it's only 1/2 degree slacker than a standard 150mm fork (of the same manufacturer). Also I ordered my frame direct from On One, and I live in the USA, and it didn't take all that long to get.
    Buy a f-ing bike maybe you wouldn't be fat

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown-rider View Post
    Don't worry about running the 160mm fork, I've run a 160mm marzocchi and it rode fine. It all depends on how slack you like your bike, it's only 1/2 degree slacker than a standard 150mm fork (of the same manufacturer). Also I ordered my frame direct from On One, and I live in the USA, and it didn't take all that long to get.
    Thanks man. I talked to On-One and they said the same thing. I guess with a 160mm fork the bike's HA would be 65.2 degrees, which seems pretty slack, but I have a Works Component headset that I can throw on there to change it to 66.2 degrees if I don't like it, or drop the fork to 150mm.

mtbr member
    Thanks man. I talked to On-One and they said the same thing. I guess with a 160mm fork the bike's HA would be 65.2 degrees, which seems pretty slack, but I have a Works Component headset that I can throw on there to change it to 66.2 degrees if I don't like it, or drop the fork to 150mm.
    I like to think of it this way, a hardtail with a headtube angle of 65 degrees (without it weighted) is not as slack as a full squish with the same headtube angle. The hardtail when it is weighted with a rider gets steeper no matter what, unless you lock the fork out, a full squish bike usually settles in at the same headtube angle since the front and rear (normally) sag about the same. Also the amount of sag you run on your 160mm fork will effect the sagged headtube angle, if you sag it more than you would a 150mm fork you can end up with the same "sagged" headtube angle. I'd say try it out before you make any changes, like the works headset, so you at least know how it rides that slack. Personally I find it to be perfect being that slack, with the 160mm fork, since it is super stable at speed DH and it still climbs like a mtn goat, YMMV... Hope that helps and wasn't too confusing!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Is there any difference at all between 456 SS and Evo?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mishgun1 View Post
    yes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mishgun1 View Post
    Yes, the most notable difference is the steeper seatube angle on the 456 EVO, which makes it climb better than the 456 summer season. I believe most of the angles, on the 456 EVO, were tweeked to make it a better all arounder while still retaining the summer season's amazing DH ripping ability. I have a 456 EVO, obviously, and it climbs very well, even with a 160mm fork up front. So basically the EVO is a new and improved summer season, with all of the upsides and none of the downsides of the summer season. I hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Yes, the most notable difference is the steeper seatube angle on the 456 EVO, which makes it climb better than the 456 summer season. I believe most of the angles, on the 456 EVO, were tweeked to make it a better all arounder while still retaining the summer season's amazing DH ripping ability. I have a 456 EVO, obviously, and it climbs very well, even with a 160mm fork up front. So basically the EVO is a new and improved summer season, with all of the upsides and none of the downsides of the summer season. I hope that helps!
    Thanks a lot! very informative

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomforeal View Post
    yes
    I like you. You could work for us with replies like that :-)

mtbr member
    Yeah, kinda.

The 456Evo is a ground up redesign. Started from scratch, and based on the riding on 26in hardtails I'd been doing. Notable on this one are the proportional chainstays to keep the front end planted even for larger riders with a lot of seat post exposed. Instead of steepening the seat angle (as I've done on previous designs on the larger sizes), I lengthened the chainstays a little. A small lengthening at the chainstay (close to the ground) makes a big difference compared to the amount you'd have to move the saddle forward (a long way from the ground) to get the same centre-of-gravity change.

Head angle is slacker between the Summer Season and the old 456, BB lower, seat angle steeper.

It rides great.

mtbr member
    I switched over to a 456Evo from a standard 456 and the Evo definitely feels better under my 6'2" carcass. It still loves to be pointed downhill, but I'm able to get a better geometry for climbing. Definitely a sweet bike. I'm running a 130 fork.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hey Brant, I'm looking to build a raw finish 456 evo. I'm kinda in between on the size chart being about 6'1.5" and a 33.5" inseam. I'm leaning towards an 18" frame. What are your thoughts on frame size, 18" vs 20", and when do you think the US store might have that size and finish? Or should I just buy from the UK site? This will be my first build so any help you or anyone for that matter can offer would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hello and sorry for my bad english. I plan to build 456evo. 2.4 conty mountain king or x-king would be the right change? Can,t search any suitable pics with 456evo and 2.35 (not maxxis' 2.35) or 2.4 tyres to see a mud clearance...

Special Purpose
    Oct 2009
    My new 2012 One One 456 Evo.

Just finished this build on Sunday. in the last couple of days I've ridden it on street, trail, pump track, dirt jumps, and a dual-slalom course. It was grat on all of them. Really digging this bike. May do a proper build/ride thread later, but here's a quick pic for now:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 309 View Post
    My new 2012 One One 456 Evo.

Just finished this build on Sunday. in the last couple of days I've ridden it on street, trail, pump track, dirt jumps, and a dual-slalom course. It was grat on all of them. Really digging this bike. May do a proper build/ride thread later, but here's a quick pic for now:

What handlebar did you go with?
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Special Purpose
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    What handlebar did you go with?

Race Face Atlas. Very happy with it. Super wide (785mm) and has some rise to it as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Got my Evo built up with Flows and a 120mm Fox RL 32 and have been loving it. It looks slick and right off the bat if felt very comfortable, as if I'd been riding it for years. Since then it's seen dirt; frozen dirt; snow; ice; and it's taken ridden them all like a champ. The frame is quite stable and feels more relaxed on decents than 08 stumpy fsr. Obviously the rear end is really stiff, but fat ass tires take the edge off, and climbing out of the saddle bob-free feels great. I worried initially that it would be too slack, but it is a very capable xc machine, that will let you get gnarly without complain. My only complaint would be the finish quality. Mechanic spent a while (extra $$$) facing etc. to get the bottom bracket and headset in, plus the isg tabs were crooked. But, I guess that's what you get for 400 bucks! Looking forward to hitting the bike park next.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hey all,

I am considering going from my 5" full suspension trail bike to the on one 456 evo. I'd like to swap all my parts over, which should work with my 130 mm fork. My question is, will my rear wheel with a standard QR hub fit? I couldn't find the sizing on the website...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fueledbycoffee View Post
    Hey all,

I am considering going from my 5" full suspension trail bike to the on one 456 evo. I'd like to swap all my parts over, which should work with my 130 mm fork. My question is, will my rear wheel with a standard QR hub fit? I couldn't find the sizing on the website...
    The 456 evo has a 135mm wide dropout.

I just finished mine using the old parts from my 6" travel bike. It's a blast to ride. Have fun!
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fueledbycoffee View Post
    Hey all,

Pretty much all my stuff came off a 2009 Stumpjumper FSR.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fer83 View Post
    waiting for Chain device and proper stem, but apart from that, the thing is finally rideable
    Hi, what kind of handle bar are you using Fire eye?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [ LLeR ] View Post
    Hi, what kind of handle bar are you using Fire eye?
    780mm wide Superstar components.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jcitizen1 View Post
    Got my Evo built up with Flows and a 120mm Fox RL 32 and have been loving it. It looks slick and right off the bat if felt very comfortable, as if I'd been riding it for years. Since then it's seen dirt; frozen dirt; snow; ice; and it's taken ridden them all like a champ. The frame is quite stable and feels more relaxed on decents than 08 stumpy fsr. Obviously the rear end is really stiff, but fat ass tires take the edge off, and climbing out of the saddle bob-free feels great. I worried initially that it would be too slack, but it is a very capable xc machine, that will let you get gnarly without complain. My only complaint would be the finish quality. Mechanic spent a while (extra $$$) facing etc. to get the bottom bracket and headset in, plus the isg tabs were crooked. But, I guess that's what you get for 400 bucks! Looking forward to hitting the bike park next.

Some pics. Kinda wanna do orange bars too, and maybe even cranks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 456 evo-457456_10152433304965593_24473686_o.jpg  

456 evo-704850_10152433304780593_350216094_o.jpg  

456 evo-736821_10152433304485593_1208704789_o.jpg  

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast