Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: 456 evo

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tango11 View Post
    BikeDave,
    The length of the stem is 90mm and the bar is around 610mm, I stand 5.6" Its the Giant Yukon SX, thanks again. I wanted to send you the link but the forum won't let me yet....sorry. Big thanks for the help.
    I would really recommend running a shorter stem on this frame (like a 70 or even a 50). The 14" has an effective TT of about 22.5"
    16" has an effective TT of about 23.3"

You may want to PM Brant, but both frames will work for you. Personally I'd go with the 14" frame, and get a 70mm Stem. This will keep you on a smaller (more playful) frame size while keeping your cockpit the same length. If you want to go more aggressive later, you can stick with the 14" frame, and swap in a 50mm stem, with a wider bar.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    BikeDave,

Thanks for the reply again, yeah I was thinking of the same thing as well of getting the 14" frame because of the top tube length, I'll just probably put the post up a bit on a fire trail so I could pedal better but anyways is 100mm would be alright or the fork? because I have a suntour epicon lying around.

I hope "Brant" can read this and will give me his side of opinion, cheers and thank you.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I currently have 130mm fork and would like to use it on EVO... Can I still be fast enough with 130mm fork or another 2 cm to 150mm means significant change(in angles...)?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    The 130mm will work fine, I used a 130mm fork on my 456 evo and it handled very well. Not too fast and not too slow. You can run any fork from 100mm to 160mm on this frame depending on how you want the handling to feel. The shorter the fork the quicker (XC) the handling and the longer fork will make it slower handling (more downhill oriented). I have my 160mm fork back on it now and like the way it feels.
    Buy a f-ing bike maybe you wouldn't be fat

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for reply . I prefer to be low on front, so 130mm should do it. I'm still not sure about the frame size. I'm 183cm that is 6'1" i believe?, but i have long legs. Should i go for 18" or 20".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    456 EVO Titanium???

Sure looks like it.
    If you ask me, it looks like the latest incarnation of the 456Ti.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BedarijaEna View Post
    Thanks for reply . I prefer to be low on front, so 130mm should do it. I'm still not sure about the frame size. I'm 183cm that is 6'1" i believe?, but i have long legs. Should i go for 18" or 20".
    It all depends on how well your current bike fits. If you like length of your current bike then take the toptube length of your old bike and add it to the stem length that'll give you a measurement to compare to the toptube (effective) length of the 18" and 20" frames added to the short 40mm or 50mm stem that these bikes are designed for.

hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Are these frames available in the U.S. at the moment? The website doesn't let me choose a size. I'm not looking to purchase one just yet, but the idea is in my head, so...

mtbr member
    If they aren't available thru the US distributor you can always order it directly from On One. That's what I did and it didn't take long for it to ship to me here in Pennsylvania.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    How much did you pay in fees/taxes/duties/VAT?

mtbr member
    If you are in the US you won't pay the VAT or any other fees other than shipping. If you go on On One's website you can add the 456 evo frame to your cart and it'll show you the price with shipping to the US, just make sure to change the settings to USA and dollars instead of the UK and pounds.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown-rider View Post
    If you are in the US you won't pay the VAT or any other fees other than shipping. If you go on On One's website you can add the 456 evo frame to your cart and it'll show you the price with shipping to the US, just make sure to change the settings to USA and dollars instead of the UK and pounds.
    Not if On-One UK ships it via UPS or FedEX, I can't remember which one they used for my 456 SS frame, but I ended up getting an invoice from one of them to pay $70 in duty fees. I wasn't happy as the previous Ragley frame from CRC I didn't pay a cent extra.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    any fully built weights? Anymore pictures of complete EVO's?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92SE-R View Post
    any fully built weights? Anymore pictures of complete EVO's?
    My 456 evo has weighed anywhere between 28-35lbs depending on what parts I've had on it. At the present moment it weighs in at 32lbs with the dh crank and the heavy ass marzocchi 55 fork. The revelation fork I had on it before dropped 3lbs off and the old XC crank about a pound. It still climbs very well even with the 160mm fork and weighing in at such a high weight for a hardtail. I will get pictures up later when I have access to a real computer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I just finished mine last night. Still need to install the chainguide which arrived today. Full bike weighed in at 12.34kg (27.2lbs) considering I'm running a heavy wheelset (MTX 31 rims) and a RS Lyrik its pretty light.

I'm hoping to get it down nearer 11.5kgs (25.35lbs) with a lighter stem, wheelset and brakes.

I cant post pics cause I dont have enough posts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bodger View Post
    I just finished mine last night. Still need to install the chainguide which arrived today. Full bike weighed in at 12.34kg (27.2lbs) considering I'm running a heavy wheelset (MTX 31 rims) and a RS Lyrik its pretty light.

I'm hoping to get it down nearer 11.5kgs (25.35lbs) with a lighter stem, wheelset and brakes.

I cant post pics cause I dont have enough posts
    A lyrik isn't exactly heavy for a 160mm fork, try 6.5lb fork like my marzocchi, now that's heavy! Ha. What other parts are you running to get your bike so light?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hi. I'm getting a 456 evo this week. I will be running my fork at 140mm. The problem I'm having is deciding what size to get. I've read up on it and I'm kind of in the middle of 14 and 16. I'm 5"6 and had myself bike fitted last week (had knee pains). The guys said I should get a bike with 15-16 inch seat tube and my top tube should be around 21 inches. He also said my seat height to the center of my bottom bracket should be 700 mm(It actually feels really high or maybe I'm just not used to it). These were just guidelines of course. The thing is the bike shops here in the Philippines don't really let you test drive the bikes. I'm gonna be using it for aggressive trail and all mountain and fun downhill. I figured you all would be the best source of knowledge to help me out. I'm leaning toward the size 14. Apologies for the long post. I just don't want to get the wrong size frame for my size and riding style. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Can someone tell what the weight of a 16" frame is ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Weight ?

I don't have an exact number, but I'd expect between 5 to 5.5 pounds. Its not really an XC race frame, and it is made out of steel. If you're really worried about weight spend a few hundred extra and go for the carbon model, or better yet save your money for some lighter wheels.

Mine is an 18" frame and built up with pedals it's coming in around 28.5 pounds. I think I might move to some different tires, and drop another pound or two, but if you're shooting for much lower weight than that you're going to be spending some coin. - That said, this thing is a blast to ride!

D.

mtbr member
    No XC use intended, just what I call super XC , or light AM. Looking to replace my Heckler frame for the winter, that thing eats pivot bearings.

mtbr member
    finally finished! it takes forever to rebuild the thing properly but hey! its a sweet bike, loving it so much
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 456 evo-dscn0475-small.jpg  

456 evo-dscn0483-small.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    considering buying one of these, hoping for some help interpreting the geo numbers. i'm 6'2" with an unhealthy aversion to bikes that look like gates: i'm considering buying an 18" frame and running a nice long seatpost... but the 600mm ett kind of scares me. except i notice that, at least according to this drawing, on-one doesn't measure ett like most companies:

seems they measure the effective top tube length from the head tube to a line running vertically from the top of the seat tube. afaik, most companies measure the effective top tube length from the head tube to a line running along the same angle as the frame's seat tube. so, the top tube on the 18" evo should feel longer than the 23.7" spec number suggests. or maybe this is just a crappy drawing? could someone with an 18" frame measure the ett the normal way and let me know what it comes out to - or brant, could you set the record straight? thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Top Tube ?

Just measured mine with a tape. By eyeballing it, and not using a level, it looks like the numbers listed by On-One show the "Correct" Effective TT length. I have an 18" frame and measured out from the center of the top tube to the center of my post at about level and it looks on par with the 23.7" figure.

FWIW I'm 5'11" and am running a 70mm stem, and I use this bike for quite a bit of climbing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomforeal View Post
    considering buying one of these, hoping for some help interpreting the geo numbers. i'm 6'2" with an unhealthy aversion to bikes that look like gates: i'm considering buying an 18" frame and running a nice long seatpost... but the 600mm ett kind of scares me. except i notice that, at least according to this drawing, on-one doesn't measure ett like most companies:

seems they measure the effective top tube length from the head tube to a line running vertically from the top of the seat tube. afaik, most companies measure the effective top tube length from the head tube to a line running along the same angle as the frame's seat tube. so, the top tube on the 18" evo should feel longer than the 23.7" spec number suggests. or maybe this is just a crappy drawing? could someone with an 18" frame measure the ett the normal way and let me know what it comes out to - or brant, could you set the record straight? thanks!
    That diagram is bollocks.

Sorry.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    That diagram is bollocks.

Sorry.
    that's okay brant

but since you are in a giving mood, can you shed any light on this?

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast