Ow!

456 Carbon to replace 456 Steel?

I purchased a steel 456 last spring so that I wouldn't be launching off stuff with my expensive custom XC steel HT (strong frame, but not built for that. Oh, and made by Strong). The 456 has satisfied my needs, plus it is just an overall fun bike to ride. The only thing is that, as I would expect, it is rougher on my rocky trails than my XC HT (I use either on some of the same trails).

So, would the carbon provide a noticeably "smoother" ride than the steel? I do not expect a smooth ride of course, but maybe a little less rough? I have searched this and other forums, and it seems like it may, but nothing is all that definitive. Seems a lot of the comparision is weight, which is not what I am keying on.

Oh, and the reason I am considering the carbon is that they are on sale.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by clydecrash View Post
    I purchased a steel 456 last spring so that I wouldn't be launching off stuff with my expensive custom XC steel HT (strong frame, but not built for that. Oh, and made by Strong). The 456 has satisfied my needs, plus it is just an overall fun bike to ride. The only thing is that, as I would expect, it is rougher on my rocky trails than my XC HT (I use either on some of the same trails).

So, would the carbon provide a noticeably "smoother" ride than the steel? I do not expect a smooth ride of course, but maybe a little less rough? I have searched this and other forums, and it seems like it may, but nothing is all that definitive. Seems a lot of the comparision is weight, which is not what I am keying on.

Oh, and the reason I am considering the carbon is that they are on sale.
    I would call it less harsh. Not really smoother. Hard to compare it to the ride of a steel frame. With a longer travel fork I am riding the 456 Carbon faster and more aggressively than my steel XC hardtails.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Ow!
    Thanks Shiggy. I guess I mostly just wanted to justify purchasing another frame.

Received the 456c today. Pretty and light. I am going to build it lighter than the steel, so that may help with a smoother ride (or a rougher ride).

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by clydecrash View Post
    Thanks Shiggy. I guess I mostly just wanted to justify purchasing another frame.

Received the 456c today. Pretty and light. I am going to build it lighter than the steel, so that may help with a smoother ride (or a rougher ride).
    Higher volume tires at lower pressure = smoother ride!

LOTS of room for big tires in the Carbon
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common