mtbr member
    Aug 2004

456 Carbon Frame Prep?

Got my 456 Carbon in. Looks really sweet . Anyway, before I go about building this up, I was wondering what is advised in terms of frame prep. I have always chased/faced the BB shell, and faced the headtube in the past before building up a frame, but this is the first carbon frame I've owned and I don't know if the same process should apply here (safety??). The outside faces of the BB shell / headtube look machined, but there is definitely some clearcoat overspay on them. Not sure if scraping with a knife would be sufficient?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by dslfoolish View Post
    Got my 456 Carbon in. Looks really sweet . Anyway, before I go about building this up, I was wondering what is advised in terms of frame prep. I have always chased/faced the BB shell, and faced the headtube in the past before building up a frame, but this is the first carbon frame I've owned and I don't know if the same process should apply here (safety??). The outside faces of the BB shell / headtube look machined, but there is definitely some clearcoat overspay on them. Not sure if scraping with a knife would be sufficient?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Should not need to do any prep.

Lightly grease the head tube and pressing the cups.

Grease the BB and install
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Instruction for enjoying 456 carbon.

1. Take out box

2. Unwrap

3. Bulid

4. Ride!!!

Whoohoo!
    Follow me on Twitter @OnOneCarbon456

Hi I'am an On-One Carbon 456 mountain bike, follow me to find out what i get up to...

All That is Man
    Umm, I'll get laughed at for this, but waxing it makes it way easier to hose down later on and keeps the dust down on those long dirt road trips . . .
    John