mtbr member
    Aug 2007

456 Carbon for Clyde?

I have searched everywhere on this. I am thinking about buying a 456C as basically a beefed up XC bike for my fat ass. I will be riding 50/50 paved paths and trails, no drops, jumps, or anything crazy. I am about 5'10'' and 275(strong but way overweight). Does anyone have any input on using the 456c for this. Can the frame handle it? Thanks in advance.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by csmoot26 View Post
    I have searched everywhere on this. I am thinking about buying a 456C as basically a beefed up XC bike for my fat ass. I will be riding 50/50 paved paths and trails, no drops, jumps, or anything crazy. I am about 5'10'' and 275(strong but way overweight). Does anyone have any input on using the 456c for this. Can the frame handle it? Thanks in advance.
    The frame is plenty strong for that. Go for it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Shiggy,are you affiliated with PlanetX USA, Planet X USA Web Store
    That is the only place I can find to order in the USA.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by csmoot26 View Post
    Shiggy,are you affiliated with PlanetX USA, Planet X USA Web Store
    That is the only place I can find to order in the USA.
    Yes, we are a consumer direct company. PX USA is the source for the US.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Get On One now! :P

I've just built up my 456C 18" with a RS Lyrik 2step air lowered internally to 150mm (I'm 1.85m, 86kgs) and its so awesome I can't even describe. I got into mtb riding DH / jump bikes, this is my first bike really capable of XC and it feels solid. I haven't tried jumping it yet but I don't think it will a problem.

Your only real question should be which frame size is right for you. I'm running a 55mm stem and 720mm bars and I feel pretty stretched out (in a good xc kinda way) so maybe a 16" frame depending on your in seam measurement would be right for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I was thinking about the 18inch frame. My other bike is a 19 inch frame and it fits like a glove.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have an old trek 820 18" and in comparison the 456c has a top tube about 1.5" longer. I feel cramped on the trek but the 456C is perfect yet they are the same frame size. The design idea of the 456 seems to have been to have a long toptube with a short stem (which I love). Measure your 19" frame's top tube and compare it to the 456C's.

At my height I could have gone with a 20" but the sizing chart said I would also fit on an 18". I'd always go for the smallest frame I can fit on and then make up any differences with stem length and a lay back seatpost.

This allows you to have the most fun possible on the bike, if you get a frame thats classically the "right size" it will climb well but it will never have the fun factor of a smaller frame. On the 16" the limiting factor will be your inseam measurement if your inseam is 31" or less I'd definitely go for a 16".

This is just my take on frame sizing hopefully others will comment also.

P.S the next question you will run into after choosing your size, is what colour to get. Good luck with that one :P

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The color choice is easy. Got to go with the Gray/Black, others results may vary.
    Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Haha ye grey is super stealth looking. I went with green to match my Scott Voltage FR 2011.

Ow!
    I am 260, 6'3", and have a 20" 456c with a Marz 44 on it. Nice bike. I am still trying to "fit" it, but will see what I can do with it soon since our main biking season is just starting. I plan to use mine for 1-4' drops and rock. I have a steel 456 also, and bought the carbon to see if has a "mellower" ride. It does a bit more than the steel, but it is not substantial. The carbon is, of course, very light compared to the steel. I am using the winter to decide which I will keep, and the final decision may be based on the weight.

For your needs, it is more than adequate (overkill). If you were looking at the steel, I would suggest to check out other frames (the steel 456 is fairly heavy for your use). But, because you are considering the carbon, go for it. It works very well as a XC frame, and still will allow you to move to rougher riding later on (if you want).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bodger View Post
    The design idea of the 456 seems to have been to have a long toptube with a short stem (which I love).

At my height I could have gone with a 20" but the sizing chart said I would also fit on an 18". I'd always go for the smallest frame I can fit on and then make up any differences with stem length and a lay back seatpost.

This allows you to have the most fun possible on the bike, if you get a frame thats classically the "right size" it will climb well but it will never have the fun factor of a smaller frame. On the 16" the limiting factor will be your inseam measurement if your inseam is 31" or less I'd definitely go for a 16".

This is just my take on frame sizing hopefully others will comment also.
    I agree with the short stem!!!! I think a short stem and wide bars can almost make any bike fun to ride. Just more control and stability. That is why my thinking is almost the opposite as suggested. If you feel cramped on the smaller frame, then you'll want to run a longer stem and setback post, putting you further over the front tire and in a xc postion. So if you go with the larger frame... you can run the short stem.

With the larger frame the geo is the same (chain stays, bb height, etc...), the only thing that would be much different is the wheelbase. I haven't looked in awhile, but I can't imagine the difference is anymore than an inch?

FYI: I'm a hair over 6' on an 18" frame (32" inseam) and run a 50mm stem, I feel a bit cramped. Put my knees into the handle bars on some out of the saddle climbs first couple of rides until I got used to it. However, the bike feels extremely responsive and quick and I love to ride it.

It comes down to personal preference, my build: 456c build There are some pics towards the bottom for a fit reference-
    Last edited by weaver84; 09-30-2012 at 09:19 PM.