mtbr member
    Mar 2012

26 versus 29 advice

Looking for some pearls of wisdom. Figured I'd hit up my On-One brethren first ...

Got back into biking late last year. Ditched the "off the rack" bike I purchased and started my first bike build earlier this year. Went with 29er Inbred swapout single speed (I think I put up a pic in another thread). Started out fully rigid, but after a few weeks worth of rides on the mountain, my arms begged me for a suspension fork. I've been happy with the bike and, with the Manitou Tower Pro, it's been smooth sailing. However ...

I'm starting to feel like I'm better suited for a 26" with a 1x9 setup. I don't mean to rehash the age old 26 versus 29er debate, but carving up the trails and having the most fun seems to be hampered by my singlespeed 29er choice.

I'm trying to decide if I should suck it up and go with a 26 inbred or 456 with a bit longer travel fork and a 1x9 setup or simply change out my rear hub and swapouts and go with a 1x9 on my current 29er rig. Any On-One owners out there make the switch from 26 to 29 or 29 to 26? How's that panned out for you? Also, anyone make the switch from singlespeed to geared or vice versa?

I'm not going to be strapping on the pads and going on bomb runs, but I'm starting to feel (especially at my relative advanced age) that my rides would be longer and more enjoyable with the switch to geared. With as much blood, sweat and tears that went into my build, it's a really tough decision to go with the 26, but, in the long run, I wonder if I'd have more fun on the mountain.

mtbr member
    Take one step at a time.
    My Inbred 29" did just fine with 1x9.
    I like my Inbred 29 over my old Inbred 26".

My advise would be to order the geared dropouts and try 1x9 on your 29".
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ye go 1x9, 29 first. If you still not happy get an 456evo or a 456C if you want to go 26". Good call going for a suspension fork.

As far as 26 vs 29 go. I personally prefer 26" for its technical ability on the downs but if you do longer rides then 29 makes more sense. 29" 1x9 is going to let you ride all day.

I've been trying a friends santacruz chameleon SS 18-32 with a 130mm fork. For single track its great fun once you accept that you are going to spin out and you just have to cruise down and keep speed. long term I wouldn't want to only have a SS bike you need some gears in your life.

If money allows I would have an SS 29 and a geared 26.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulsan View Post
    Looking for some pearls of wisdom. Figured I'd hit up my On-One brethren first ...

Got back into biking late last year. Ditched the "off the rack" bike I purchased and started my first bike build earlier this year. Went with 29er Inbred swapout single speed (I think I put up a pic in another thread). Started out fully rigid, but after a few weeks worth of rides on the mountain, my arms begged me for a suspension fork. I've been happy with the bike and, with the Manitou Tower Pro, it's been smooth sailing. However ...

I'm starting to feel like I'm better suited for a 26" with a 1x9 setup. I don't mean to rehash the age old 26 versus 29er debate, but carving up the trails and having the most fun seems to be hampered by my singlespeed 29er choice.

I'm trying to decide if I should suck it up and go with a 26 inbred or 456 with a bit longer travel fork and a 1x9 setup or simply change out my rear hub and swapouts and go with a 1x9 on my current 29er rig. Any On-One owners out there make the switch from 26 to 29 or 29 to 26? How's that panned out for you? Also, anyone make the switch from singlespeed to geared or vice versa?

I'm not going to be strapping on the pads and going on bomb runs, but I'm starting to feel (especially at my relative advanced age) that my rides would be longer and more enjoyable with the switch to geared. With as much blood, sweat and tears that went into my build, it's a really tough decision to go with the 26, but, in the long run, I wonder if I'd have more fun on the mountain.
    I would also try 1x9 on the 29er first. Get a whole new rear wheel rather than rebuilding with your old rim.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Go with the 29, you'll be glad you did.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the responses. I've got a new rear wheel ordered and have most of the other parts on order. Got some great deals, so converting won't be too much of a hit. Excited to try it out.