mtbr member

26" On One inbred SS bottom bracket height question...

Is it just me or is the 26" inbred frame's bottom bracket too high? I installed my 120mm fork and the bottom bracket is over 13.5" high. I thought maybe it wouldn't be an issue, but after riding it it definitely feels too high. I'm quite perplexed since the frame says it'll take up to a 120mm fork. From what I can tell this frame shouldn't have anything taller than an 80mm fork installed. That would drop the height of the BB to an acceptable level for a frame of this category. Even the Evo 2 frame has a lower BB height with it's tallest fork. I would like to know why this is since I looked at a comparable steel cross country frame and the BB height with a 100mm fork was around 11.5-12" which would still be plenty acceptable with either an 80mm or 120mm fork.
    Buy a f-ing bike maybe you wouldn't be fat

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I agree with you. My girlfriend's inbred with a rigid fork (a/c 445mm) is to high at 31,5cm! Her previous bike with the same fork was considerably lower. I bought her the 445mm a/c fork because her old frame had very low bb and it would be problem. A 425mm fork it would better for inbred but it will affect the st and ht angles. Using the geometryCalc the change in bb high will be only 7.5mm

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    As far as I know, the 26" Inbred geo is basically unchanged from when it was first designed back in the late 90's. And back then, generally speaking, BB's were higher because HT and ST angles were steeper. Also, the Inbred was designed to be run singlespeed, where a higher BB helps when running those long cranks SSers like. The 456 Evo 2, on the other hand, is less than a year old and has what you might call "modern trail geometry" - slack angles, low BB. In fact, the Evo 2 is essentially version 5.0 of the 26" Inbred, as the original 456 was a modification of the Inbred to work better with long travel forks. Then further tweaks came in the Summer Season, Evo, and now Evo 2. Moral of the story: if you are convinced of the merits of "modern trail geometry" -get the Evo 2. If you like to kick it old school XC/SS - get the Inbred.

Frankly I like the high BB on my Inbred - makes it easier to get up and over obstacles and I have never had a pedal strike. The handling feels fine to me. But my other bike is a Cross Check, so maybe I'm just used to high BBs.

Since you don't like the high BB, you could try installing a slackest headset. That should drop the BB some. Lower profile tires? Longer cranks? How about just getting an Evo 2 frame (less than $300 on the website) and moving your parts over to that?

Edit: slackset, not slackest. I got autocorrected.
    Last edited by bolandjd; 11-11-2013 at 07:58 PM.
    2004 Surly Cross Check
    2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    2011 On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies, I did have one of the original 456 evo frames. I got rid of it since it rode way to rough for a steel frame. I bought the SS inbred frame since I wanted to build up a singlespeed and liked the steel frame. I do love the newer geometry, so that's probably why I think the BB is much too high on the inbred, I like everything else about it though. I really don't want to buy another frame, I just bought this one... Ha

I would like to see the BB heights on all On One frames listed so I don't make this mistake again if I buy another frame. If I buy a new 456 evo 2 frame it'll be a wee bit more work to run it single speed.

thanks again for the replies...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown-rider View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I did have one of the original 456 evo frames. I got rid of it since it rode way to rough for a steel frame. I bought the SS inbred frame since I wanted to build up a singlespeed and liked the steel frame. I do love the newer geometry, so that's probably why I think the BB is much too high on the inbred, I like everything else about it though. I really don't want to buy another frame, I just bought this one... Ha
    LOL! Yes, well I guess that's why people shell out big bucks for custom frames to get them exactly how they want them. You should try the slackest. It won't effect the stiffness, but should bring down the BB and might even improve the frontend handling with the 120mm fork. I couldn't tell you if the Evo 2 rides nicer than the Evo 1, but I suppose they don't call them "hardcore hardtails" for nothing.

I would like to see the BB heights on all On One frames listed so I don't make this mistake again if I buy another frame. If I buy a new 456 evo 2 frame it'll be a wee bit more work to run it single speed.
    Unfortunately, that would be quite impossible since the frame is stand alone. They can't possibly know what fork or tires you'll run or how much sag you set - all of which effect BB height. Note that they don't list wheelbase for the same reason. It might be helpful if they listed that information on the complete bikes - that'd give you a ballpark estimate for the frames at least.

thanks again for the replies...
    You're welcome.

Edit: slackset, not slackest. Damn you, autocorrect!
    Last edited by bolandjd; 11-11-2013 at 07:59 PM.
    2004 Surly Cross Check
    2011 On One Inbred

mtbr member
    What is this "slackest" headset you keep talking about? Is it a style or brand of headset?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    2004 Surly Cross Check
    2011 On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    2004 Surly Cross Check
    2011 On One Inbred

mtbr member
    That headset looks interesting, but it doesn't look like it'll drop the BB a noticeable amount, plus with shipping I'd be looking at about 100 bucks. I thing I'll just ride the frame and try and deal with the BB height. I may just have my fork lowered, but apparently Manitou claims you can't drop the minute pro with spacers even though that's obviously what they did when they made the different lengths...

mtbr member
    I have a custom 1.5 degree slackset on my Inbred 29er and it lowered the BB but only by 1/4"-3/8". I can't remember exactly because I installed it a couple years ago. The 29er Inbred has the same problem: obviously designed for an 80mm suspension fork or similar rigid fork because the BB was around 13.5" with a 100mm fork.

Manitou doesn't use spacers for their different travel lengths of the Minute except on one of the very latest Expert models. Instead they use different length stanchions and spring parts for the each travel amount. However it is possible to install a custom spacer in the spring side to limit the top-out and shorten the fork to 100 or 80mm and I've seen a thread or two on mtbr about it in the past

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Shipping to the US is free, if the order is over $100. Need some tires or a handlebar?
    2004 Surly Cross Check
    2011 On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    Shipping to the US is free, if the order is over $100. Need some tires or a handlebar?
    I'm not spending 100 dollars on a headset, at least not for my inbred... thanks anyway

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It doesn't cost $100. I meant if you grab a set of tires with the headset, you'll get free shipping. But whatever; suit yourself. I'm not a salesman, so I'll leave it at that. Happy trails!
    2004 Surly Cross Check
    2011 On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    "Unfortunately, that would be quite impossible since the frame is stand alone. They can't possibly know what fork or tires you'll run or how much sag you set - all of which effect BB height. Note that they don't list wheelbase for the same reason. It might be helpful if they listed that information on the complete bikes - that'd give you a ballpark estimate for the frames at least."

Sure they can not state the BB height, but certainly they can state the BB drop which is independent from tires (with a fork 80mm for example) .

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    ^^^^
    They could list the BB drop for the frame with a particular fork, maybe one of their rigids or a popular squishy fork like an 80mm RS Reba or something. But that would still only give you a ballpark estimate for a different fork. Anyone e-mailed On One to ask for BB height of the complete bikes?
    2004 Surly Cross Check
    2011 On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    ^^^^
    They could list the BB drop for the frame with a particular fork, maybe one of their rigids or a popular squishy fork like an 80mm RS Reba or something. But that would still only give you a ballpark estimate for a different fork. Anyone e-mailed On One to ask for BB height of the complete bikes?
    Well they list the headtube and seattube angle and both of them are dependant on the fork length, it says measures with an 80mm fork fully extended. They could list the BB drop with that mysterious 80mm fork to give you an idea as to what you're looking at. The difference between all the 80mm forks is probably no more than 5mm or so. All other companies list this info I can't imagine why On One can't take the time to list it. All the angles and measurements are estimates when forks are concerned. Estimated info is better than no info...

that's my 2 cents

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well they list the headtube and seattube angle and both of them are dependant on the fork length, it says measures with an 80mm fork fully extended. They could list the BB drop with that mysterious 80mm fork to give you an idea as to what you're looking at. The difference between all the 80mm forks is probably no more than 5mm or so. All other companies list this info I can't imagine why On One can't take the time to list it. All the angles and measurements are estimates when forks are concerned. Estimated info is better than no info...

that's my 2 cents
    Hmm...good point.
    2004 Surly Cross Check
    2011 On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Inbred 2nd gen 650B?

The swap-out version according to this thread is a hair under 13 with 650b tires.

My 26"inbred ltd SS is dismantled at the moment but I'm pretty sure it was at or below 12.5" for the bb with a dual air reba 120mm and 2.25 NN.

I do have a 26" summer season with a 150mm marz and 2.4 high volume nobby nics and it's 13 1/4, but the slack head angle helps keep it lower.

I also have a 26" C456 with the 120 reba on it currently and it's under 12.5". 13.5" seems pretty high.. Curious on the A2C for the 120mm your running.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_daemon View Post
    Inbred 2nd gen 650B?

The swap-out version according to this thread is a hair under 13 with 650b tires.

My 26"inbred ltd SS is dismantled at the moment but I'm pretty sure it was at or below 12.5" for the bb with a dual air reba 120mm and 2.25 NN.

I do have a 26" summer season with a 150mm marz and 2.4 high volume nobby nics and it's 13 1/4, but the slack head angle helps keep it lower.

I also have a 26" C456 with the 120 reba on it currently and it's under 12.5". 13.5" seems pretty high.. Curious on the A2C for the 120mm your running.
    The axle to crown height of my manitou minute is 498mm, or so says pricepoint, kinda irrelevant at this point since the BB height is a hair over 13.5" regardless. Also the 456 frames are gonna have a lower BB height with the same 120mm fork since they were designed to run a taller fork and they are the "modern" slack and low geometry which the inbred is not.

Thanks for your input, I'm wondering if I'm measuring the BB height in the same place as everyone else, I measure from the ground to the center of the BB shell, I'm pretty sure that's how you do it.

All I know is the BB height feels too high right now, I'm hoping I can ride it more to get used to it, then I don't have to change anything... lol

mtbr member
    What I found from a quick internet search, is that the 120mm Reba forks were 493mm A2C height. I doubt that 5mm difference made a noticeable difference with the BB height. I do run a large volume 2.5" front tire, and a decent sized 2.24" rear tire. I imagine they will help boost the BB height by 5mm maybe. So I'd think with low volume tires and a slightly shorter A2C height Reba you'd drop the BB height 1/4", on my frame, if you were lucky...

I could be wrong in my assertions, but even the large volume tires only gain a couple millimeter in height over a lower volume tire, when measuring just the bottom half, unless you compared my 2.5" to a 1.5" road slick....

mtbr member
    After measuring the BB height on my inbred, about 27 times, I think it looks to be 13 3/8" high when I keep the bike perfectly perpendicular with the ground. So it isn't as high as I thought, maybe it's all in my head, I'm used to the lower slacker geometry of the 456 evo frame... Ha