mtbr member

2013 Scandal SS build

Complete with a few pics... What a fun bike to ride.. Very nimble and quick (almost like riding a 26er)

Quick specs:
    One One Scandal 29
    Stans Crest Wheels/Hubs
    31T Homebrew Cog / 22T Surly rear
    Fox Float RL 29
    One One stem/post
    SLX Crank
    Elixir CR brakes

Bike was built for pretty rocky terrain, quick ups and downs, tight turns, and varying conditions (wet, dry, hot, snow, etc)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Scandal SS build-pic1.jpg  

2013 Scandal SS build-pic2.jpg  

2013 Scandal SS build-pic3.jpg  

2013 Scandal SS build-pic4.jpg  

2013 Scandal SS build-pic5.jpg  

“People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    What's the weight on this bad boy?

mtbr member
    I will try and check it tomorrow; I'm guessing 23?
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have one of these in the post.

How have you handled the rear drop out?

It looks like you have QR skewers, do you have horizontal swapouts?

Cheers

mtbr member
    I have vertical swapouts. I am using a standard QR skewer with some cheapo Redline tugs. I am actually waiting on the On One tug to be in stock.

I had to really crank the heck out of the skewer, but it hasn't slipped in the last 3 rides and they have been over very technical terrain

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Very nice build!

Which headset you use, Smoothie Mixer? Your fork has a tapered steerer? Do you use normal QR with 5mm axle?

Actually, it is not clear for me which type of headset is used by Scandal 29er V2 frames. Is it a semi-integrated?

Sorry for my numberous questions I'm just curious because I'm thinking something similar.

Edit: just found, Smoothie Mixer is internal headset.
    ___
    2012 On-One Inbred 29er (custom ht w/2x10, trail, fun & race bike)
    2013 On-One Lurcher Carbon SS (in progress)

mtbr member
    Smoothie Mixer yes. The Fox Fork is tapered so I had to also but the adapter for the headset. (it only comes with the straight tube fork adapter for some odd reason)

The headset is internal but it still uses a bottom cup. I'm not really sure it's totally internal, but most people I know that build these things go with the smoothie mixer.

mtbr member
    Unofficial weight is: 23.4lbs

I basically put myself on a scale, then holding the bike, subtracted the difference.

I don't have a bike scale. I could easily drop a pound of this bike by going with lighter stem/bar/post but it wasn't really built with that intention.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    Smoothie Mixer yes. The Fox Fork is tapered so I had to also but the adapter for the headset. (it only comes with the straight tube fork adapter for some odd reason)

The headset is internal but it still uses a bottom cup. I'm not really sure it's totally internal, but most people I know that build these things go with the smoothie mixer.
    Thanks for the info. Based on you reply I tried to find the parameters and I have found the specs for the Smoothie Mixer, it is an ZS 44/28.6 | EC 44/40 (SHIS standard). So the upper part is integrated and the down part is a 44mm external (lot of alternatives we have actually).

Did you get your Scandal frame with horizontal dropouts or did you buy horizontal dropouts separately? On-One's site seems not clear for me whether they post the frame with vertical or horizontal dropouts. (Subtitle mentions vertical, photos show vertical but Frame Spec table mentions horizontal dropouts.)
    ___
    2012 On-One Inbred 29er (custom ht w/2x10, trail, fun & race bike)
    2013 On-One Lurcher Carbon SS (in progress)

mtbr member
    Came with vertical drops, and I bought horizontals:

On-One Singlespeed Swapouts (Pair)