mtbr member
    Nov 2011

2 new Inbreds - and Monstercross

Picked up what was probably intended as a touring bike with a bent frame cheap - 7 speed bar end shifters, cantilevers, triple crank, steel frame so the derailleur is the right size.
    I have a swap out Inbred 29er that I built up in the spring, it's my main mtb bike. The swap out Inbreds are supposed to be cantilever compatible so decided to make the swap out frame a drop bar, cross, do it all bike.

Ordered in a vertical drop out Inbred on the 10% sale and moved all the mtb parts over to the new frame. Boy is that easy moving to an identical frame, probably didn't take much more than an hour. Just had to redo the derailleur cables for the new style frame. Was very disappointed to see the new frame only had a single water bottle mount.

Built the swap out frame with the donor bike parts. Was pretty screwed up when I found out that the frame isn't cantilever compatible but V-brake compatible. No way to get a decent cable run and cable hanger for the rear cantilever. It would be no problem for a V-brake, the cable would run right into the noodle.

Ended up putting road disks on it but if I had known I wouldn't have ordered the cantilever fork. Since the picture was taken, I've gone disk on the front too - added quite a bit to the cost. Now I can swap in the wide tires from my other bike and try drop bars on the rough stuff. The crank on the donor bike was an odd BCD Shimano with no rings available so I put a cheap Deore triple on. Bought the rear wheel and borrowed the front from my cross bike.
    The stem spacers are a little ridiculous but that's what I needed to get the bar height up where I wanted it. I had forgotten what a pain in the butt handle bar tape is - everytime you want to try repositioning the bars or levers you need to re-tape.

The bike is great for riding the local rail trails, got my best ever time on one of the Strava segments on my first ride with it. Tried a rougher trail and was surprised how well it climbed but was way chicken hitting roots and at speed with those skinny tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2 new Inbreds - and Monstercross-dsc_7626.jpg  

2 new Inbreds - and Monstercross-dsc_7638.jpg  

2 new Inbreds - and Monstercross-dsc_7631.jpg  

2 new Inbreds - and Monstercross-dsc_7636.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sweet dual Inbred Stable!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Having a great time on the the new build but for anyone thinking about something similar, I think I should have bought one size smaller frame to shorten the reach to the drop bar.

wish I was out riding
    Nov 2012
    built something very similar and I am loving it!

mtbr member
    Nice !

Have you considered something like this ?

Amazon.com: BRAKE V TEKTRO 926AL MINI SHORT ARM BLACK: Sports & Outdoors
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.