mtbr member
    Sep 2009

14" inbred for 10 year old

Im looking for a bike for my 10 year old daughter and instead of going to a larger 24" wheel bike we have been thinking of stepping up to a xs 26" bike. Does anyone know if the dimensions on on-ones website are accurate? They list a 660mm stand over so about 26" which should be about a 1/2" taller than the specialized myka we have been looking at.

Has anyone built one of these smaller frames up for there kids?

mtbr member
    Gracie has Toby's old bike. She is 8.

Instagram

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    What size frame is that? It looks smaller than a 14". What size are the wheels? Is that a 456? That looks like exactly what I need.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muell View Post
    What size frame is that? It looks smaller than a 14". What size are the wheels? Is that a 456? That looks like exactly what I need.
    That's an old 14in Summer Season (456) with 26in wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    sorry for all the questions.

Do you know about how tall the girl in the pic is?

Did the summer 456 have different geometry then the 456 evo 2? The website shows the standover at 744mm for the evo2 which seems high compared to the pic. Also the inbred lists 660mm standover. I thought the geometry on both of these bikes was closer than that.

mtbr member
    I'll measure Gracie tomorrow.
    The 456 on the site will list a much taller standover as it has a taller head tube, but, of course, a much longer fork.
    A 14in standard inbred is the best bet for a smaller person. Shorter headtube.

Then fit a very short suspension fork, or a 420mm rigid fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just found this on ebay On One 456 Steel Mountain Bike | eBay its a 456 but the price is right. Would the geometry be simillar to the summer season. Sorry but I havent been reading up enough to know the difference between a summer 456 and a regular one. I would probably have to strip and repaint it and swap out the fork.

mtbr member
    My wife is only 5' so I'd like to know more too. I've thought the 14" might be a good bet, but On One recommends it for 5'2" to 5'7".

I'm more worried about reach and less about standover, but would still love to know people's experiences.

mtbr member

14" inbred for 10 year old

I have been thinking about building up a 14 inch inbred for my 9 year old son. He is starting to ride with me and most of the 24" wheeled bikes are pretty low quality.

Brant- do you guys actually sell a 14 inch scandal frame or is it just listed on the geo chart? The aluminum frame would be great to keep the weight down.
    "Less yappin' more braapin" - IFHT

2015 Santa Cruz Nomad C
    ON-ONE 456C650b

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by muell View Post
    I just found this on ebay On One 456 Steel Mountain Bike | eBay its a 456 but the price is right. Would the geometry be simillar to the summer season. Sorry but I havent been reading up enough to know the difference between a summer 456 and a regular one. I would probably have to strip and repaint it and swap out the fork.
    Brant will have a more complete answer, but from what I understand the Summer Season had a much slacker HT angle than the original 456, giving it more of a gravity-bike orientation.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er