Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    No Stranger to danger....

Your WORST JOB ever ?

When i was 18 i had started an advanced Diploma in horticulture, i got a great job as my apprenticeship on a top golf course but on apprentice wages it was tough, so i decided to take a 2nd job on thursday nights and saturdays working as a 'checkout chick' in a local supermarket, it was a shithouse job lol, packing shelves and working the checkout, man that sucked.
    I did meet a sweet yummy mummy there that i saw for a while so that was an ok fringe benefit, but other than that it was a demoralising job, but i did it with pride and when my pay went up as a hort i finally dropped the supermarket gig.

Since then i spent 15 years in horticulture and landed the top horticulture gig on the course, i eventually left being a hort and now have my dream job of teaching people to throwing lures on the harbour, so it was all worth it in the long run.

But id like to hear about your worst job, you might even be in it now, dont be shy, put them up here..

cheers Trendsetters.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Worked once as a computer teacher for 3 - 6 year old kids when i was 16.
    Kind of hard at the time.

Later as i sales man on a car store.

Right now back on the IT field on Airforce

mtbr member
    Fumigating greenhouses.... during the summer...wearing Tyvek and a full respirator.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Re: Your WORST JOB ever ?

I installed water meters in sanitary sewers and collected water samples from pproduction plants around Buffalo, NY for about a year.....saw and smelled some nasty stuff

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 using Tapatalk2

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider
    Worked a half day selling overpriced "Coupons" door to door in upscale neighborhoods to restaurants no one ever heard of. Then when I found out we had to retrace our routes for anybody that wasnt home the first time, I bailed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    grind the Viper fiber car paint shops without any protective measures.. it's really horrible..

mtbr member
    working on tri-bikes when i was at a shop. disgusting. triathletes are disgusting but that's just me. i'd rather saw dead cow carcasses with a butter knife in july in texas.
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

I'm your density
    I worked at Toys R Us part time when I started college. The worst part was getting janitor duty on Sundays. Busloads of shoppers would come up from Tijuana (this was back when the peso was worth waaayyyyy more). This was my first exposure to people unfamiliar with the practice of flushing toilet paper. Since we didn't provide bins for disposal, the patrons would just plop the used TP in the corner next to the toilet. Occasionally people would use the wiped product to scrawl graffiti on the walls.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    ^^^ you're the winner so far

duh
    working in a chicken coop collecting chickens in 100 degree weather, the smell was just horrid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    I worked at Toys R Us part time when I started college. The worst part was getting janitor duty on Sundays. Busloads of shoppers would come up from Tijuana (this was back when the peso was worth waaayyyyy more). This was my first exposure to people unfamiliar with the practice of flushing toilet paper. Since we didn't provide bins for disposal, the patrons would just plop the used TP in the corner next to the toilet. Occasionally people would use the wiped product to scrawl graffiti on the walls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail6 View Post
    ^^^ you're the winner so far
    Yep Thread killer

No Stranger to danger....
    How about a mate of mine that worked in an inner city sex shop, he used to have to clean the movie/sex booths out during the nightshift with heavy disinfectants.
    During his cleaning he would have naked guys off their faces on meth n drugs batting off and exposing themselves to him, he would have to clean up ****, ***, needles lol, the stories ive heard would bring tears to your eyes.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    my sister owns a portable toilet co & i would work for her to clean event units like a fair or a soccer field..talk about a s&itty job..
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    working on tri-bikes when i was at a shop. disgusting. triathletes are disgusting but that's just me. i'd rather saw dead cow carcasses with a butter knife in july in texas.
    I read a book by a triathlete and learned it was common practice for them to pee all over themselves and their bikes during longer events. So you got sweat, energy drinks, urine, and all kinds of funky crap all over the bike. Yeah. No thanks. Ain't touching that until I hose it off at a coin-op car wash.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    I worked at Toys R Us part time when I started college. The worst part was getting janitor duty on Sundays. Busloads of shoppers would come up from Tijuana (this was back when the peso was worth waaayyyyy more). This was my first exposure to people unfamiliar with the practice of flushing
    toilet paper. Since we didn't provide bins for
    disposal, the patrons would just plop the used TP
    in the corner next to the toilet. Occasionally
    people would use the wiped product to scrawl
    graffiti on the walls.
    Let me guess this was south San Diego / National City or Chula Vista.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    How about a mate of mine that worked in an inner city sex shop, he used to have to clean the movie/sex booths out during the nightshift with heavy disinfectants.
    During his cleaning he would have naked guys off their faces on meth n drugs batting off and exposing themselves to him, he would have to clean up ****, ***, needles lol, the stories ive heard would bring tears to your eyes.
    Sounds like exactly what I've been looking for! can you drop by there and see if they are hiring? I've been thinking about relocating to the Down Under side of the Earth.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

I build my own.
    Shelf stocker at a supermarket
    Chicken murderer. After Deke chased them down and put them in crates, I'd take them out & slit their throats.
    Drawing hay.
    Maple syruping.
    Horse logging in winter.
    Building superintendent in a 200 suite high-rise in Toronto
    Bicycle courier in Toronto
    Taxi driver in Toronto
    Honey wagon driver for a portable toilet rental company
    Janitor at a private school
    Deckhand on a salmon troller.
    Placer mining for gold.
    Siding installer.

... it's hard to pick the worst one.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    yeah, just REALLY disgusting when you can drain a seattube full of piss or give yourself whiplash if you got too close to the saddle while putting it up on the stand cuz of the general odor. the hosing off never really worked cuz **** was gooped-up sticky. most of the time all the components were completely seized up from corrosive sweat and you'd have to hacksaw bars, stems, forks, and cranks off. porta-potty on disc wheels are all they are really.
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

EMBA Member
    Two possibilities.

I worked two months for the Perry Brothers Traveling Circus in Australia maybe 30 years ago. I was the first Yank they ever hired. Hard work, low pay, and to top it off, I got to shovel out the semi-trailer they used to transport the two elephants. It was winter in the Melbourne area so dang cold and wet a lot of the time too.

The other possibility is D.M.O. at the Hungry Hunter Restaurant in Mission Valley, San Diego. That'd be Dish Machine Operator. We cut a hole in the bottom of a large trash bag for our head, a couple in the side for arms, and then went to battle all night with wave after wave of dirty dishes. Oh, and then after all that, the cooks would start bringing over all the pots and pans for cleaning. It was a nightmare.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Your WORST JOB ever ?

I cleaned carpets all night long as my first job when I was like 14 or 15. It wasn't as bad as other people's jobs above, however.

I'm your density
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Let me guess this was south San Diego / National City or Chula Vista.
    La Mesa.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Worked in a call center doing collections part time for a while when I was in college.

Gnarly
    I love my chosen career/profession but in order to get there I worked at parttime jobs while studying, and to pay off student loans and just make ends meet.

The worst job was working at a very busy 24 hour donut shop... night shift was the worst shift. Serving drunk, rude, rowdy, smelly customers, and while still keeping a smile. I was always respectful and polite and that test of my mental endurance... I believe prepared me for a career in health care in a specialized field.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mighty sailin' man
    ground crew for crop duster years ago

LONG days. Drive to the site in the dark. Mix and load chems. Fuel the plane and cater to the pilot for each run from sun up to sun down then drive home in the dark. When it was all over you have time for maybe 4 hours of sleep depending on the drive time. Trouble was you only worked about 15 minutes each hour of the day. The rest of the time you were bored as hell fighting to stay awake.

Some of the guys helped the pilot locate the fields in question by standing in them with a big orange umbrella. Mowing the runway wasn't any more exciting. Full length, turn, repeat

it sucked for sure but I can not imagine working in the stench of chickens
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

FKA Malibu412
    I was going to say my summer job of washing windows a few years back but can't touch the T-r-U bathroom and sex shop gigs. EWWW!! I'll never complain about my crummy jobs again.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast