Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good, green, Oregon.

Your favorite car, period. (A variation on DJ's birth year car thread)

Well, on the heels of DIRTJUNKIE’S cool thread on our favorite cars from the year of our birth, I thought I would further that with…..

Your favorite car, ever. Period.

If you could own one of your dream cars as your “toy” that you didn’t have to rely on for transportation, didn’t have to buy it, didn’t have to insure it or pay for any fuel, what car would it be?

I’ll get it started…….

Porsche 959:

One of the most amazing cars ever produced. So fast, so good, and so rare. I learned about this car in high school after reading an article in Motor Trend on it in about 1988. I ended up making an advertisement for a marketing class I was taking for the 959 with the tag line “Warning: This car is to be driven the way it was meant to be driven……FAST!” Of course I aced the assignment, but from then on, I have always dreamed of just driving one of these amazing pieces of engineering and pure driving passion.

I have to add a 2nd (and probably more realistic for me):

My best buddy owns one, and I actually sold a few back in my car sales days. I know, pretty boring to most of you, but this is really one of the most underrated cars produced. A supercharged 4.6L V8 that sounds so beautiful with that supercharger whine. For a car that you can buy right now for around $20,000 for a really nice one, that 395 HP goes a long way! I drove my buddy’s Cobra a few months ago, and was absolutely blown away. Something about a supercharged motor that a naturally aspirated car or even a turbo just can’t match. Instant GO!

So, what is your dream car? Post it up! Let’s see what everyone will drive after the zombie apocalypse occurs, assuming you are still alive!
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - 2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (Ordered)

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Too many to list..How's this for starters a million dollar car in today's money.
    Alright a 71' HEMI CUDA' 4 - speed black on black on black convertible with elastomic color coded bumpers and color coded grill, shaker and leather. Rear spoiler and front chin spoilers and color coded mirrors with a Rim Blow steering wheel and wood grained Rally gauge cluster and console.. My all time favorite having once owned a 71' CUDA' 340 auto. The blue car is identical in color and hood design to the one I had. Take note of where the rear exhaust comes out of the rear valance.

Oh and the gills in the front fenders and the Barracuda teeth [cheese grader] grill with dual headlights are 1971' CUDA only. Along with the rear two peice taillights. The lower performance cars with smaller V8's were called Barracudas from 70' to 74'. But the high performance cars with larger V8's they called CUDA's. 70' and 71' being the best years with all motor options.
    Those two years had these motor options.
    Barracuda
    Straight 6 cylinder
    318 V8
    383 V8

CUDA motor options
    340 six pack only on 1970' AAR CUDA' six pack means 3 two barrel carbs.
    440 four barrel
    440 Six Pack
    And the big daddy
    426 HEMI' dual quad, meaning 2 four barrel carbs.

In photo picture the front bumper black like the car. And grill would be black. Those are options from that year. They were called elastromic covered color coaded bumpers. And make it a convertible. Other than that it's dead on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your favorite car, period. (A variation on DJ's birth year car thread)-1971-cuda-rear.jpg  

Your favorite car, period. (A variation on DJ's birth year car thread)-jen_with_cuda_7-13-08_011.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 10-01-2013 at 12:15 PM.
    Progress: Just because we have always done it that way is no reason to keep doing it that way.

mtbr member
    2006 Aston Martin V12 Vanguish
    Your favorite car, period. (A variation on DJ's birth year car thread)-2006_aston_martin_v12_vanquish_s_2dr_coupe-pic-16820.jpeg
    I'm afraid of heights so a 26'r fits me to a T.

I'm just messing with you
    Get real, get Mopar. 68 Hemi dart or barracuda, know the right people you can pick one up at the factory door

People actually restore them to look like that
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    My favorite American muscle has long been a 67 SS. The 69 was nice but lacked a certain something.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator

1996 McLaren F1 LM

The first supercar to break the magic 240mph barrier. If I ever win the lottery - I'll be on a mad hunt for this rare(only 98 exist), $2million car:

Your favorite car, period. (A variation on DJ's birth year car thread)-52010mclaren-f1-orange-gtr.jpg
    "The ONLY person who needs to race.....is the entrant"

Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    who didn't have a model of this beast

get outta it's way!

Attachment 835840
    That there young man is a 67' Hurst Olds 455. Hurst shifters ooked up with Oldsmobile and made limited production special optioned drag cars you could buy from your local Olds dealer. How cool is that.
    Progress: Just because we have always done it that way is no reason to keep doing it that way.

AZ
    banned
    Bigger hammer theory. And not one of those effeminate Factory Five cars either.

Your favorite car, period. (A variation on DJ's birth year car thread)-1966-ac-427-cobra.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    This is all I would want. It's realistic, it would haul groceries, my girls, my bike, and it would be fun to burn through the canyons in...

2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium | The 2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium | Ford.com

mtbr member

banned
    Jan 2013
    Money and gas no object? Gimmie an obnoxious truck tyvm.

Rabid Lana fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    I know, pretty boring to most of you.....
    Not me. This is the Wifey's ride....and yeah, that supercharger, when wound up, will scare people as you fly by. They just don't know what's happening, or what they're hearing, and they probably think a Jet is low-flying by!

BTW, my dream car would be a 69 Dodge Charger with a 426.

rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    There is something about the Cobra 'Stangs of that age/model that is just b!tchen. BTW, the new, naturally aspirated 5.0 'Stangs have 424HP!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Net, how much is 87/89/91 gas currently going for down in the South?

Rabid Lana fan
    Roughly 3.15 / 3.30 /3.50 or so lately

Rabid Lana fan
    And most fuel around here is 93 for the higher octane

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    And most fuel around here is 93 for the higher octane
    WOW! That's almost a full dollar per gallon less than it is here in expensive ol' Californy!

Rabid Lana fan
    Well, we got cheap gas, and you guys got medical mary jane.

Hmm, maybe I'll get a Prius and move to Kali!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    That's almost a full dollar per gallon less!
    We were in Mesa AZ. a week ago... it was exactly a $1 less per gal. then down the street from the house.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Well, we got cheap gas, and you guys got medical mary jane.

Hmm, maybe I'll get a Prius and move to Kali!
    No Medijane in 'Bama?!

Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    that picture would be the Hurst Hairy Olds. Notice the smoke from the front wheel spin

They made 2

"Hurst installed not one but two 425 in³ (7 L) Oldsmobile engines and Toronado transaxles both front and rear; a pair of drag parachutes were mounted in the stock taillight positions and four-wheel disc brakes were fitted as well. Two engines meant two of virtually everything in the cockpit related to the operation of the car, including two cable-operated shifters, two tachometers, two sets of oil pressure and temperature gauges and even two accelerator pedals. Additional power was provided via a Cragar Equipment-modified 6-71 GMC supercharger atop each engine, each burning a blend of nitromethane and alcohol. Weight was reduced through the use of aluminum body components and Plexiglas windows. The result was

a 2400-horsepower, four-wheel-drive exhibition
    drag racer which smoked its front and rear tires
    down the length of the race track with times in the
    eleven-second range."

a pic of the rear

Attachment 835863

Hey I was right it's a 67' Hurst Olds just slighty more modified.
    I can't believe I didn't notice the front wheel burn out. That's one INSANE machine!

Rabid Lana fan
    No Medijane in 'Bama?!
    Bama will probably be the last state in the nation to legalize it.

occ member
    Another Toyota

It's going up for auction soon: Car | Auctions

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Bama will probably be the last state in the nation to legalize it.
    No offense but I didn't even think there was any law in Da Sowth.

Rabid Lana fan
    The Dirty Souf? There's laws, just no-one follows them much. I follow a few of them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The Dirty Souf? There's laws, just no-one follows them much. I follow a few of them.
    Yeah, like coming to a full and complete stop at stop signs...

Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    Get real, get Mopar. 68 Hemi dart or barracuda, know the right people you can pick one up at the factory door

People actually restore them to look like that

Hey Bob I not only drool over E bodys but I love the B bodys as well. Love the 68-70 Road Runners, Chargers, Coronets and Super Bee's the early Darts were cool as well. Speaking of which just last week I spotted a 69' Dart GTS / Sport 340 4- Barrel. So cool completely original with mopar sassy green and Bumble Bee rear wrap around black s stripe. It had the hood that most Road Runners have with the two side ridges with motor insignia that said 340- Four Barrel in red. It had a console mounted auto shifter and buckets. Like I said completely original and restored. I saw a young kid park it at a store and walk in. I went over and checked it out. And took several photos. In my cell phone if I ever figure out how to download them I'll do it for ya. I didn't have time to wait around to talk to him. But I wouldn't mind owning it.

Always in the wrong gear

Actually looking into one of these!

My dream car has always been a Subaru WRX STI. I'm actually forgoing a new bike this year in hopes of getting away from my Nissan Frontier w/ 181,000 miles on it. Here is a depiction close to my dream, but add a bike rack on there somewhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your favorite car, period. (A variation on DJ's birth year car thread)-philip-mills-petter-solberg-82370528.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    ^ Great bang for the buck value!

Always in the wrong gear
    ^ Great bang for the buck value!
    I'm sure, not to mention the added MPG over my V6. That means longer trips to find new places to ride and more seats so I can take friends.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Porsche 911 GT3R

I Ride Bikes
    My 06 Tundra.
    9" lift
    King coilovers
    Tuff Country drop bracket
    Total Chaos UCA
    TRD Dual Exhaust
    Ridgid Industries LED lights front and rear
    35" Nitto Trail Grapplers
    20"x10" Fuel Hostage wheels
    Icon Vehicle Dynamics rear shocks
    lots of other goodies inside and out.

just sold this back in May. I'm still regretting that decision.

Your favorite car, period. (A variation on DJ's birth year car thread)-45147_1386708677266_7240013_n.jpg
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!
    INSTAGRAM -> hawaii808MTB
    FACEBOOK -> Big Island Mountain Biking

humber river advocate
    rally fiat 4x4

Name:  NewFiat500_4x4_2.jpg
Views: 2833
Size:  30.2 KB

or even the factory version... those things are a hoot to blast around in...

Your favorite car, period. (A variation on DJ's birth year car thread)-fiat500usa-500-r3t-rally.jpg
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    69' Dart GTS / Sport 340 4- Barrel
    IMO the most underrated muscle car ever. Owners don't mind though, they're happy to just blow your doors off stop light to stop light.

I had a stock appearing Duster with a built 340 in it that sounded like a pro stock car idling. Narrow street tires, shifting automatically, and coming off the line at idle, it ran a 7.90 1/8th. No nitrous. Drove it to the track, and back. Had built it for my wife, but she couldn't drive it much due to the manual steering and small steering wheel she insisted on.

I realize the old muscle cars aren't cutting the mustard these days compared to the factory hot rods, but there's something about blasting around in a car that has ZERO technology, not even a CD player. That, and the difference in annual personal property taxes here keep me from buying new. Cars are taxed here at current blue book value, but cars over 25 years old are taxed at $500 valuation. If it wasn't for that I'd have a bad-assed new Challenger or Charger.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    IMO the most underrated muscle car ever. Owners don't mind though, they're happy to just blow your doors off stop light to stop light.

I had a stock appearing Duster with a built 340 in it that sounded like a pro stock car idling. Narrow street tires, shifting automatically, and coming off the line at idle, it ran a 7.90 1/8th. No nitrous. Drove it to the track, and back. Had built it for my wife, but she couldn't drive it much due to the manual steering and small steering wheel she insisted on.

I realize the old muscle cars aren't cutting the mustard these days compared to the factory hot rods, but there's something about blasting around in a car that has ZERO technology, not even a CD player. That, and the difference in annual personal property taxes here keep me from buying new. Cars are taxed here at current blue book value, but cars over 25 years old are taxed at $500 valuation. If it wasn't for that I'd have a bad-assed new Challenger or Charger.
    Yep my 71' 340 CUDA' ran liked a raped ape. Nothing made these day's can compare with the old muscle cars in my heart.

Net, how much is 87/89/91 gas currently going for down in the South?
    Yeah Hawg I've been paying a buck less in Colorado compared to California 3.59 for 85 octane. California lowest octane is 87 that's mid grade here.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Your favorite car, period. (A variation on DJ's birth year car thread)

VW bus with pop top cooker and awning.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    VW bus with pop top cooker and awning.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
    Well then you sir need to check out the Hippie thread. Hippies

EMBA Member
    Over the years, these are in cars I wanted most.

First, I was a big fan of this version. My brother in law had one and I still remember the thrill of riding in it with the top down. 1963 Corvette.

Your favorite car, period. (A variation on DJ's birth year car thread)-1963-corvette.jpg

A few years later, this was the hottest thing on the road, IMO. I liked this one better than the Z28. 1969 Camaro SS396

Your favorite car, period. (A variation on DJ's birth year car thread)-1969_chevrolet_camaro_ss_396_14.jpg

When the SC came out in 1978, I thought that was the end all be all of car awesomeness. 1978 Porsche 911SC

Your favorite car, period. (A variation on DJ's birth year car thread)-1978-porsche-911sc.jpg

Then there was a long dry spell where I continued to focus on the older cars until Mercedes updated the SL to this. I owned one of these. Owning it wasn't nearly as good as wanting it was. I sold it after 18 months. Mercedes Benz SL500

Your favorite car, period. (A variation on DJ's birth year car thread)-1994-mb-sl500.jpg

When BMW came out with the updated M5, I went to the car show and just sat in it until they told me it was time to get out. I told myself then that one day I HAD to have one. I owned one just like this from 2007 - early this year. I have to say, this is the finest car I've ever driven or ridden in. Ultra luxury and comfort when driven sedately, and an absolute beast when you drop the hammer. Mine was a 2001 BMW M5

Your favorite car, period. (A variation on DJ's birth year car thread)-1999-bmw-m5.jpg

I bought one like this new in 2004. Still driving it and don't plan on anything new for quite a while. 2004 F150 FX4

Your favorite car, period. (A variation on DJ's birth year car thread)-2004-f150-fx4.jpg

This list is by no means complete, but it hits the highlights.

mtbr member
    I'll take a McLaren F1 coverted to paddle shift please

1994 Fully Rigid Diamond Back Axis TT
    2009 Trek Fuel Ex 7

EMBA Member
    Forgot this one. When these came out, they were highly desirable. I had one and drove it into the ground at around 200,000 miles. I sold it for $3k I think and who knows how much longer it held together. It was a great handling car with good power and super reliable. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe.

Your favorite car, period. (A variation on DJ's birth year car thread)-1989-acura-legend-coupe.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

No discussion, this is the ultimate driving machine! I want one so bad!

Good, green, Oregon.
    Another Cobra that I just drolled over as 19 year old kid......

1993 Ford Mustang Cobra - Fox Body
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - 2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (Ordered)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Bigger hammer theory. And not one of those effeminate Factory Five cars either.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1966-AC-427-Cobra.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	835864
    This was always my favorite car growing up.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I get a hard on for the '70 Chevelle SS. Preferably the LS6 454. If only they weren't $100k (or $85k-ish in this economy).
    Your favorite car, period. (A variation on DJ's birth year car thread)-70_chevelle_ss396.jpg
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    I get a hard on for the '70 Chevelle SS. Preferably the LS6 454. If only they weren't $100k (or $85k-ish in this economy).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70_Chevelle_SS396.jpg 
Views:	1204 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	836533
    Yep one of my favorites as well. One of the few cars that I raced with my 69' GTO that beat me. I raced a lot of cars and several LS-5 Chevelle's and beat all of them. But one night I hooked up with a silver and black striped LS-6. We ran 2 passes and both times we were even half way down the quarter but he pulled me by a length by the end. I was running my stock 10 bolt rear end with 3.90 ears. I later put a 12 bolt with lower quarter mile gears of 4.56's. I always wondered if after doing that if I could beat him but never had the
    opportunity again.

By you posting this LS-6 you brought back a flood of good memories. Thanks!

This got me to thinking back of how many cars I raced with that GTO. Probably 50 to 60 actual out in the country races. And out of all those cars there were 5 cars that beat me.
    1] 70' LS-6 Chevelle
    2] 68' Shelby GT 500 Mustang 428 Dual Quad motor
    3] 70' Chevelle with a complete race small
    block. Pulled out of a dragster.
    4]70 Ford Maverick that was also a full
    race car. Stripped completely down and
    full race motor.
    5] A 67'' SS 350 Camaro with a full race
    small block gear drive. That was the
    fastest one that I ever raced. And the
    GT 500 Shelby.
    Those were the 5 that beat me. I raced
    all mopars except a HEMI I never had an opportunity to race a HEMI car.

These are the "notable" one's I beat

A 69 GTX,440 Six Pack
    A 69' Road Runner 440 Six Pack.
    Two 440 Road Runners
    Three 68-70 383 Road Runners
    A 70' Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack.
    70' Dart 340 with a big ass blower
    sticking out of the hood.
    A 67' Shelby Mustang GT 350
    A couple 68' GTO' Ram Air III's
    Three 70' GTO 455's one a Judge
    Two 67' GTO's 389 tri powers
    A 73' Formula Firebird SD 455
    A 70' Duster 340
    A 70' Nova SS 396
    66' Chevelle SS 396
    Three 70' Chevelle SS 454 LS-5's
    A 67' Mercury Cougar 390
    Three 67 - 69' SS 396 camaros.
    Several small block SS 350 Camaros
    A Chevy coupe with a 427 tri power I barely beat him.

Here are some photo's of the 69' GTO Ram Air IV I had.
    The photo from the rear, the rear left wheel was in a hole in my driveway. So the car looks more jacked up than it was. An old 35mm camera back in the day I didn't realise it until the photos were developed. But that photo does show the 12 bolt rear end.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your favorite car, period. (A variation on DJ's birth year car thread)-img003.jpg  

Your favorite car, period. (A variation on DJ's birth year car thread)-img002.jpg  

Your favorite car, period. (A variation on DJ's birth year car thread)-img001.jpg  

Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 10-04-2013 at 10:56 AM.

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    My brother and I were restoring a 72 Chevy pickup with a 402 V8. It's all original and he still has the window sticker from when our grandpa picked it up off the lot. I say were restoring, because I moved away, but he's still working on it. He repainted it from an ugly yellow to a pearl white color. It was stripped to a bare frame and he and I spent many, many hours with wire brushes, sand paper, and other stuff getting it prepped for work. Our dad spent umpteen hours redoing the carb and setting the timing just right. It's a neat truck. I don't think it's seen outside the garage in about 4 years now, but eventually, it'll be ready to roll back out.

Last time I saw it back in August, the interior was still out and he was working on a new custom dash for it. The doors have been off for about 2 years now and are hanging up in the rafters with the hood and tailgate. I think the hope is that he has it ready to roll by spring time. He was talking about driving it up to CO to hang out with me once he does. Last time I drove it was to haul junk off my grandparents property. I'm curious to see how it rides now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I love cars. So I could muddle for days about this. Here are my top 3.

Yes there are faster, newer cars but I've loved this car ever since it came out when I was a teenager. 1997 911 Turbo S. In my humble opinion, a 911 in its most purest form.

If I won the lottery and didn't give a damn about $2 million then I would say a Pagani Zonda R. Its not street legal, its obscenely fast and meticulously hand built. Italian craftsmanship at its best.

And for daily driving/hauling bikes/driving to ski you gotta have a Lamborghini power V10 Audi RS6 wagon.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your favorite car, period. (A variation on DJ's birth year car thread)-jerry-seinfeld-s-1997-porsche-911-turbo-s_01.jpg  

2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2015 Trek Farley 26fat
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Wow there's some nice cars in here. My favorite car is the one that gets me from here to there and back to here again.

mtbr member
    I'm enjoying my 2013 F-150 these days.
    Trucks are perfectly suited to my work and recreation.
    It has just enough cool and useful extras.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast