Probably drunk right now

Your body is well used...

I've had some pain in my right thumb and left wrist for several years. I tend to have a high pain tolerance (not good) and ignore things until I have to address them. Today was the day.

As I'm describing my injury history to the PA, she comments that my body is well used.

Today's diagnosis: broken left wrist. CT scan and MRI to determine whether surgery is required or not. MRI scheduled to determine whether left the is ligament/tendon damage.

Getting old sucks. Not taking care often body when I was younger sucks worse.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

AZ
    banned
    Sorry to hear about that Ken. I have done much the same so I have much sympathy for you. Bright side, you can look forward to some level of relief though now that you have been made aware. Heal up quickly.

mtbr member
    Heal up!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Cut off one of your fingers, then your wrist won't hurt as much! Then drink water. At least this was the popular advice from my drill sergeants.

Get better soon man, and yea, getting old sucks :S

banned
    Aug 2012
    Speedy recovery to you ... Be happy that it's not a knee issue.

T.W.O.
    Crap!!

Hope it goes well and you don't need any surgery. Agree getting old sucks BIG I'm still recovering from last year injury, which supposed to heal in 4-6 months.

Hey look on the bright side, every chance you get back on the bike you'd feel like a noob again.

usually cranky
    you dealt with a broken wrist for a few years?!?!! i deal with fingers but a wrist, holy cow!

official eMpTyBRain
    Ken?!!!! You're wrist has been broken for several years???
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

usually cranky
    just realized the implications, hope you are right handed...

Front Range, Colorado
    Good lluck in the healing process Ken. I shattered the joint in my right wrist 5 years ago. It was a mtb injury. And I had no health insurance so the doc just casted it for 6 weeks. Probably should have had surgery because I lost 40% of wrist movement. And I still have pain if I bend it too far back. Good luck and opt for surgery if they recommend it.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Unfortunately, I can relate a bit, and I'm still in college. I've had two surgeries on my knee, in addition to a high pain tolerance -- that helped contribute to needing the second surgery. I also broke my clavicle about two months ago in a bike crash. For the past few days I was cleaning out a mobile home to ready it for a new tenant, which involved a lot of heavy lifting and moving. We just finished this afternoon after filling the second 40-yard dumpster, and I can feel it now. The big ache is in my knee, but the affected shoulder from the broken clavicle is sore as well. All this while I'm young and supposedly healthy! I don't really want to think about what kind of shape I'm gonna be in later on in life.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    Unfortunately, I can relate a bit, and I'm still in college. I've had two surgeries on my knee, in addition to a high pain tolerance -- that helped contribute to needing the second surgery. I also broke my clavicle about two months ago in a bike crash. For the past few days I was cleaning out a mobile home to ready it for a new tenant, which involved a lot of heavy lifting and moving. We just finished this afternoon after filling the second 40-yard dumpster, and I can feel it now. The big ache is in my knee, but the affected shoulder from the broken clavicle is sore as well. All this while I'm young and supposedly healthy! I don't really want to think about what kind of shape I'm gonna be in later on in life.
    By then you'll learn to deal with it/accept it for what it is. You'll be more wise and as long as you believe in yourself you will be able to do whatever is needed, pain aside.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    You'll be more wise
    That's a big assumption right there.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    That's a big assumption right there.
    I'm middle aged with lots of soarness and still ticking so I'm living proof. You'll do just fine, too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hang tuff, and heal fast.

pin it
    That's a bummer!. I shattered my dominant wrist mtn biking (front wheel got trapped in a rain rut during a fast descent, and I went OTB, smashed my face too) a couple years ago. I had surgery, plate and 8 pins. What worked for me was to take extra calcium, keep working on increasing range of motion, and build up strength as tolerated. I practiced yoga (still do). Heal up and don't quit
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Probably drunk right now
    They still haven't determined the corrective action yet. If the bone is attached, I'll probably have the surgery. If it's not attached, they'll just remove the bone.

An added bonus for the surgery: They'll take care of my Carpel's Tunnel while they're in there.

I typically have loved chunky technical riding. The past couple of years I've not been enjoying it as much as I used to because my hands have been getting weaker. Hopefully I'll be able to clean this up and get back to riding like I used to.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC View Post
    They still haven't determined the corrective action yet. If the bone is attached, I'll probably have the surgery. If it's not attached, they'll just remove the bone.

An added bonus for the surgery: They'll take care of my Carpel's Tunnel while they're in there.

I typically have loved chunky technical riding. The past couple of years I've not been enjoying it as much as I used to because my hands have been getting weaker. Hopefully I'll be able to clean this up and get back to riding like I used to.
    Well, there you go. Winning attitude is already half the battle. Hope you get better soon.

rubber side down
    positive vibes for a fast recovery ((((((((((vibes)))))))))))) at least you know whats up and can start moving forward.

I'm 41 and hurt everyday....Drinking helps a lot
    TAOS on pinkbike