Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Y'all learn me on small boats

Canoe
    Inflatable kayak
    Basically one of these but don't know which. Looking for ideas.
    Looking to car camp along tame rivers and maybe small lakes.
    Wanna be able to take some fishing gear and a 12 pack of beer along with a 2nd person so looking for something tandem.
    I need a good kick in the right direction. Oh and I would really like to keep it around $300 but may be swayed to do $500. It will just take a while. Is this an ok budget for something used? Will these types suit my needs? A total newb to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

official eMpTyBRain
    Why not a rigid kayak? You can probably find a used one for cheap.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    You should really test some in the waters you plan on traveling. A canoe can offer more room for gear and to move around but a kayak is much better for rougher stuff. Maybe a row boat?
    Don't know how much $ but the "Ultimate" kayak is pretty awesome. It's sort of a canoe/kayak cross with beach chairs attached.
    Check it out here Native Watercraft Website
    "Tortured by mental illness" ~monogod

Big Mac

A sit on top kayak is your best bet. Many come rigged for fishing and I'd bet they're all over CL.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Is there a decent device that supports 2 people as can also be steered alone? I will be with someone 90% of the time but also have interests to paddle alone just in case my balls drop. Nervous but I was when I first started Mtb too. I figure it won't e ideal but is possible.

There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Is there a decent device that supports 2 people as can also be steered alone? I will be with someone 90% of the time but also have interests to paddle alone just in case my balls drop. Nervous but I was when I first started Mtb too. I figure it won't e ideal but is possible.

Some sit on Kayaks have a rudder to help steering.

Ocean Kayak | For the pursuit of fun activities on the water

Hermit
    If you're going to keep around $300 then your best bet might be a 16' canoe. Plenty of room for two, can be paddled by one, not too steep a learning curve.

That said, there are some great fishing kayaks out there these days. My bud is looking at the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 - nice 12' long sit-on-top (SOT) kayak. They also have a 2 person SOT, the Pamlico, but it's a pretty big boat.

I'd keep away from inflatables unless you're willing to spend a bit more money. They cheaper ones are kinda disposable.

Good luck.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    May 2006

Do some googling canoes and kayaks can all be managed by one person.....

How to Steer and Paddle a Canoe : How to Paddle Efficiently in Canoeing - YouTube

When alone in a canoe if the wind blows up the front of the canoe is difficult to point into the wind because it rides up high no weight up front....that can make it hard to get back to where you came from if it is up wind....

You still need to pay attention....

Kayaks are a little better cause you have a wider paddling arc and that makes it easier to steer the boat.

mighty sailin' man
    Inflatables are real comfortable and easy to store or haul. Besides that they're pretty useless.

I think the sit on tops would be the best for you and the suggestion to try a few first is solid advice
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Do some googling canoes and kayaks can all be managed by one person.....

How to Steer and Paddle a Canoe : How to Paddle Efficiently in Canoeing - YouTube

When alone in a canoe if the wind blows up the front of the canoe is difficult to point into the wind because it rides up high no weight up front....that can make it hard to get back to where you came from if it is up wind....

You still need to pay attention....

Kayaks are a little better cause you have a wider paddling arc and that makes it easier to steer the boat.
    Keep in mind that the boat shown in this video is a solo ww boat. A tandem flat water boat, while manageable, is a whole different can of worms.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I vote for the sit-on-top kayaks. We have 5 including 2 Tarpons but I've never tried the tandem. We started in canoes but find the kayaks more comfortable if you are going to be in them a lot of hours. The bigger ones have enough storage for all the stuff you mentioned.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I think Ocean Kayaks has a two-person sit 0n top that's about 12' long...that might work fopr you. I have had a single person Scrambler from them for many years...it paddles well, surfs pretty good, and it's also easy to fish from.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

duh
    I would recommend a sit on top or hard Kayak for fishing if you are not dragging a lot of gear with you. The inflatable might make you sink after you puncture it with a lure of hook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    Inflatables are real comfortable and easy to store or haul. Besides that they're pretty useless.

I think the sit on tops would be the best for you and the suggestion to try a few first is solid advice
    There are some legit inflatable kayaks out there. For example, SOTAR makes one that is made out of real boat material, self-bales, paddles well, and you can do just about anything in it you can do in a hardshell but roll it. People use them for running rivers lots in the northwest, especially smaller rivers like the Rogue or the Klamath. Kinda expensive, but they are tough little boats.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Big Mac

Inflatables in flat water = no fun. Ever paddled an inflatable raft across a lake? Great for ww but not so much the flats. Plus you have to, well, inflate them. And keep them that way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Lot of great stuff here. Thanks to all. Sit on top seems to be the crowd favorite. No inflatable. I always thought the hard shells were more 'spensive.

main use is for flat water fishing tandem but still able to steer alone. Is that possible in my budget of 3-500$?
    I think I may sell my sweet desktop that hasn't been used in a year haha.

And most tandem sit on tops can also be steered alone?

Also can a hard SOT be used for class ii-iii WW?

Hermit
    Lot of great stuff here. Thanks to all. Sit on top seems to be the crowd favorite. No inflatable. I always thought the hard shells were more 'spensive.

main use is for flat water fishing tandem but still able to steer alone. Is that possible in my budget of 3-500$?
    I think I may sell my sweet desktop that hasn't been used in a year haha.

And most tandem sit on tops can also be steered alone?

Also can a hard SOT be used for class ii-iii WW?

There are a lot of people checking out fishing kayaks these days - it's a booming market segment (while whitewater continues to shrink). So there are a good number of people selling new-ish boats that weren't exactly what they wanted. Check local fishing & paddling clubs. Also check local paddling/sports shops - sometimes you can get amazing deals on last years stuff.

All of the two person kayaks that I've ever paddled were navigable with only one person as well. It's a little more difficult than with two people, but it's do-able.

There are some SOT's that can be used for WW (Perception Torrent comes to mind), but by the time you get up to class III whitewater you'll likely want a real WW boat - things can get sketchy quickly in a big boat. Shorter rec boats (decked, not SOT) can run class II WW fairly well sometimes, but you've got to realize the limitations of the craft and be prepared. With that said, if you find yourself starting to get interested in paddling rapids, you can get used whitewater boats for pretty cheap. Keep in mind that canoes can also be paddled in whitewater, but you have to invest in the air bag system to keep them from filling up with water, which can be kinda expensive.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mighty sailin' man
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    There are some legit inflatable kayaks out there. For example, SOTAR makes one that is made out of real boat material, self-bales, paddles well, and you can do just about anything in it you can do in a hardshell but roll it. People use them for running rivers lots in the northwest, especially smaller rivers like the Rogue or the Klamath. Kinda expensive, but they are tough little boats.
    agreed
    plus out of the OPs price range and out of his intended purpose. There's good situations for inflatables. OPs does not sound like one
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Yea thinking about it more. I like fishing and mountain biking. I've done ww a few times and it just wasn't my cup of tea. Tranquility is what I crave on a river/lake. And I guess soloing flat water on a tandem isn't that bad.

I build my own.
    A tandem kayak used is going to run about $1500 and up for anything worth having. It will also be 24' long. Even a sit on (not so good for bad weather) will be in the high hundreds. A good used 16' canoe will be $300 to $500, will take 3 people, or 2 people and gear for a week, is easy to learn to use, will haul your bike, can be fitted with a spray shirt, can be sailed, or motored, will pass as a tent in extreme situations. It's also easy to sell if you decide it's not for you.

I know a fellow who has a hitch and wheels for his canoe so he can use it as a bike trailer. He rides up the mountain, throws his bike & the wheels in the canoe and paddles back down again. With his rig, theoretically, you could go anywhere.

I have 3 kayaks (tandem, single and river) and a canoe. If I could only keep one, there's no question, it would be the canoe.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

sympathy for society
    I'd recommend going with at Sit on Top (SOT) kayak for what you are needing. I have been kayak fishing for some time now. I started in a $300 sit in side (SINK) boat from ***** Sporting Goods. I modified it with rod holders, depth finder, new seating system, ect.. and used it for years without problems. I have since moved to a Jackson Cuda 12 sit on top and I couldn't be happier. I couldn't believe what I had been missing by not having a sit on top. I have two day camped out of the sit on top with tons of gear and fishing equipment with ease. You have much more room and versatility with a sit on top.

In you budget your going to be hard pressed to find a quality sit on top kayak for one person. A tandem is kind of out of the question at your price range though. For the money Wilderness systems Sit on Top kayaks are the best bang for the buck right now. The Wilderness systems Ride series sounds like it would suit your needs, outside the second person. It's a solo SOT kayak that is ready to fish, cruise, or paddle a scenic river, right out of the box. There are endless options for customization also.

If you are 90% going to be with another person then I would totally suggest a canoe. As others have said, they can be found within your price range and easily carry two people and gear. Whatever you do, do not skimp on the paddle or PFD (life jacket) you will need to buy also.

Another thing, you could potentially take your bike with you in a canoe... just sayin..
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Not to disregard all the amazingly helpful info

But...
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak View Post

Another thing, you could potentially take your bike with you in a canoe... just sayin..
    I don't get away enough and wouldn't know how to begin an adventure like that, but this sounds amazing.

sympathy for society
    I love spending time on the water and have paddled some amazing rivers and lakes. One thing I have never done, but always wanted too, was bring my bike with me. I have seen some people carrying some crazy stuff in a canoe. They are very stable and efficient water crafts. There is a reason they have been around for centuries and are still used.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

official eMpTyBRain
    I used to have access to a private pond that was loaded with bass. It was the most ridiculous freshwater fishing I've ever seen. Anyway, they had a canoe that I would paddle around in. It was amazing how fast I could get that thing moving. Light weight and no drag in the water.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

There's a bunch of canoes for $200ish on y local Craigslist. Few SoT yaks but they're the small ones that have no room for cargo.

What size canoe would be good for 2 people and the occasional solo row?

I also see some of them have no seats but 1 bar in the front and 2 in the back. What are those for and how do I install a seat?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast