Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Life Is Short

Worst Story I've read this week

What does God do to heroin, coke, meth, drunks, etc. addicts that lie, steal and cheat? Does he forgive them
    because its an addiction? I have to ask my priest, rabbi and local pastor. One thng for sure
    and that this girl digusts me. Two months ago my cousin died from complications due to prostate
    cancer, yet he never asked anyone for a penny.

Woman fakes cancer, uses donated funds for heroin

A Long Island woman allegedly bought heroin with the money she raised pretending to have cancer.

Published: April 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    By KATE STANTON, UPI.com

Prosecutors in Suffolk County, N.Y. say Brittany Ozarowski, 21, solicited tens of thousands of dollars in donations for cancer treatment to support her heroin habit, CBS New York reported Wednesday.

Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota indicted Ozarowski on fraud charges after what he called a "despicable scam."

“There was no cancer, no chemotherapy, no radiation and no medical bills. There was just heroin,” Spota said.

Ozarowski reportedly kept up the charade for more than a year, asking people to donate money to treat what she said were cases of bone, brain, ovarian and stomach cancer. She posted photos of herself in a wheelchair to a Facebook page and website, raised money in supermarkets and local stores.

According to PIX 11, thousands of Long Islanders gave Ozarowski money.

“She told me (she had) special treatments, that’s why she wasn’t losing her hair,” local resident Elizabeth Patricola said.

"I was cancer free until they had found a tumor on my left hip in February 2012." Ozarowski wrote on her website. "That is when I found out that I have bone cancer. The cancer has spread to my spine as well as my brain."

"No donation is too big nor too small, anything at all would help greatly. If there is anyway you can help to donate anything or help with fundraising it would be greatly appreciated very much by both my family and I. Thank you very much for taking your time to read my story."

CBS New York said Ozarowski even scammed her grandmother, who sold her home to pay for fake cancer treatments.

Read more: Woman fakes cancer for heroin: Brittany Ozarowski used donated funds for heroin - UPI.com
    Ride More, Eat More

Front Range, Colorado
    Unfortunately society gets worse every year. Every day another appalling thing is in the news. Respect for a fellow mankind is diminishing with each passing year.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

pin it
    She scammed people for over a year with her plea. She must have duped a lot of people who thought they were trying to help including her own family/ I hope she gets the help she needs.

There was a young woman in Ontario who faked cancer and collected money ... her motive was related to attention seeking

Woman faked cancer to raise money | Toronto Star

It is despicable behaviour to have to lie to that extent.

I'm fighting cancer as well and my message is that people need to be careful when donating to causes. I donate to my own hospital and I am specific about the department my money is to be directed
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Knob scrubber

Re: Worst Story I've read this week

I think the story that came out today over here (Gold Coast, Australia) is worse. A 22 year old woman has been giving her 4 year old daughter chemotherapy drugs that she purchased over the internet. She had set up various Facebook pages to both journal her daughters illness (the drugs have made her gravely ill) and to raise money.

Thousands of people have been supporting this woman and her daughter, until she was arrested today after doctors finally figured out what was making her sick. It is unclear at this stage whether she wanted the attention or the money, our possibly both. Either way, this is a disturbing story and we can only hope that the little girl recovers.

Makes you wonder what the hell is going on. I'd link to the story, but can't from my phone.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Real men do it in the dirt

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm not much of a religious person, but I've had a couple of philosophical discussions with both priests and philosophers (seriously! this discussion even made its way into a philosophy class at my local college. <3 coffee shops).

In most religions, suicide is a, "mortal sin". This means that you will not pass go, you will not get into heaven. Well, what defines suicide?

"Suicide -
    - Noun: The action of killing oneself intentionally: "he committed suicide at the age of forty".
    - Verb: Intentionally kill oneself.
    - Synonyms:
    noun. self-destruction - self-murder
    verb. take one's own life - make away with oneself

So we know that suicide is knowingly killing yourself. How does one do this? By doing something that has a high probabilty of taking ones life. Ok.. where is this going?

We know that smoking leads to cancer, and cancer kills. So.. when you die from smoking, that should qualify as suicide, right? You did an act (smoking) that leads to your death (from cancer). In this aspect, if you are a smoker, and you die from it, you go to Hades.

How far down the rabbit hole can we go? For example, we know that there is also the possibility of death from just the act of walking. According to New and Used Car Listings, Car Reviews and Research Guides - AOL Autos

"Pedestrians accounted for 13 percent of the overall 32,885 traffic fatalities in 2010, an uptick of one percent from the prior year. On average, a pedestrian is killed every two hours in the U.S., according to the report.

Florida was the state with the highest rate of pedestrian deaths, with 2.58 occurring per 100,000 residents. It was followed by Delaware (2.45), Arizona (2.28), South Carolina (1.94) and Hawaii (1.91)." - Pete Bigelow, Associate Editor, AOL Autos, 07/07/2012

So, not only is dying from smoking considered suicide, but also the act of walking to church can be considered suicide. Since their is a chance that we could die from anything we do in this world, we accept that risk, and if we die from that activity, it is technically suicide.

So does that mean that we are all going to hell, no matter what? We are all slowly killing ourselves, thus, we are all committing suicide!

And here i thought it was that b1tch eating an apple that made us all sinners going to hell no matter how well we live. Go figure.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Fatcat, in response to your question, my belief is that this lady will be judged by God. She will be held accountable for her sins, lying, cheating, and stealing.
    The woman obviously has issues. But having issues won't keep you out of jail or the loony bin when you break the law.
    2012 Rockhopper 29er.

High Desert MTBer
    So sad. A reflection of us all...
    For Random Guy, the act of breathing could be construed as suicidal, for it takes us another step closer to death. This kind of pointless moral speculation just goes to demonstrate how meaningless this kind of moral speculation is!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    This kind of pointless moral speculation just goes to demonstrate how meaningless this kind of moral speculation is!
    The perfect definition of philosophy!

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider
    There have been a few news stories in the past 5 years or so of people claiming to be sick with cancer or other major illness to garner money or attention.
    My wife is a cancer survivor, and I have other family members with cancer. It makes me ill to read about people who stoop to low crap like this.

official eMpTyBRain
    FC, you have a Priest, a Rabbi, and a local Pastor? How many religions do you belong to?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    FC, you have a Priest, a Rabbi, and a local Pastor? How many religions do you belong to?
    A Chameleon of sorts.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Worst Story I've read this week

I like looking at the broader framework structured by our society that, for whatever reason, continuously sees this type of behavior. There seems to be some truth about hell being repetition, because these sort of deviant acts are nothing new in the scheme of human behavior. Yet we continue to strain the under class. Her actions are messed up, but take a look at everything else. I like to think the deviant acts of a society are reflective of the whole state of the society, not just some individual who is somehow 'lacking' what the test of 'us' have.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Both of the stories mentioned here are terrible. Chemo drugs to a child and getting your grandmother to sell her home to feed your heroin addiction is insane! I didn't know people could stoop so low. We live in a messed up society. I'm gonna stop now so I don't step onto the soap box.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

I dd what you see there.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomGuyOnABike View Post
    We know that smoking leads to cancer, and cancer kills. So.. when you die from smoking, that should qualify as suicide, right? You did an act (smoking) that leads to your death (from cancer). In this aspect, if you are a smoker, and you die from it, you go to Hades.
    This needs to be put in the dictionary to define a (religious) Fatalist philosophy.
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

human dehumidifier
    I saw a case on Judge Judy looking for money back from a cancer scam. Woman had a lump, borrowed money for a test, then it snowballed to where she was rolling around in a wheelchair when people were looking. The total amount was over the $5000 limit JJ can deal with.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

Trail Prospector
    Ouch..... addictions are so damn powerful.

Have lived with some alcoholic housemates, relatives, and one chronic gambler.
    Until I had a neice get hooked on heroin, NEVER have I witnessed such low-life behavior.
    Stealing of prescription meds, led to swiping cash, maxxing out c/cards, and capped by check forging (mine).
    She went through two bouts of rehab, was diagnosed as bi-polar, and given yet more meds.

Happy to report that she seems to have gotten her shiite in a stack, yet must work long & hard to restore trust.
    Sadly, these ^^ people have burned all bridges, and are destined to be social pariah's.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Maybe they were all just walking into a bar.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

I <3 dirt

Worst Story I've read this week

WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

ozz
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Maybe they were all just walking into a bar.
    If there's a Monk and a 9" pianist involved, I think I've heard this story.

banned
    Jan 2013
    I think the worst part of this story is that one single chemotherapy pills costs over $5000US.

usually cranky
    ha, this was my first thought as well.

mtbr member
    No God
    Yer eyes see what your hands do. Your heart "records" these actions. On your judgement day it's your heart and yours alone that will judge you and your actions in your life.
    So bess to keep your moral compass straight and your hands clean of hate!
    :-)

Now let's get back to MTB riding and breathing in some dust!!
    We all live we all die I'm just want to RIDE MY BIKE!!!
    YYYYEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

I didn't do it
    Unfortunately thieves and scam artists prey on people's sympathies or on people at their weakest moments all the time. Look at any disaster and scams follow closely behind. 9/11 and Katrina are both good examples of this. Around here a burglary ring would monitor the obituaries and then break into people's houses and burglarize them while they were at the funeral. People suck sometimes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    ha, this was my first thought as well.
    The more the merrier. I say cover your bases. (:
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast