Results 1 to 32 of 32

Thread: Winter?

  1. #1
    Killer b.
    Reputation: The Understater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,498

    Winter?

    Not here.
    Had the summer's first day at the beach on the weekend.

    Winter?-image.jpg
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,152
    We don't get Winter in So Cal. You really ought to consider relocating here.

  3. #3
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10,429
    Here in Ontario, winter is just like summer, only fresher.

    <a href="http://s520.photobucket.com/user/veggiecyclist/media/P1012481_zps30f86e48.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w330/veggiecyclist/P1012481_zps30f86e48.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo P1012481_zps30f86e48.jpg"/></a>

    <a href="http://s520.photobucket.com/user/veggiecyclist/media/P1012385_zpsfe8cc661.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w330/veggiecyclist/P1012385_zpsfe8cc661.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo P1012385_zpsfe8cc661.jpg"/></a>
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  4. #4
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    26,628
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Here in Ontario, winter is just like summer, only fresher.

    <a href="http://s520.photobucket.com/user/veggiecyclist/media/P1012481_zps30f86e48.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://
    i520.photobucket.com/albums/w330/veggiecyclist/
    P1012481_zps30f86e48.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo
    P1012481_zps30f86e48.jpg"/></a>
    <a href="http://s520.photobucket.com/user/veggiecyclist/media/
    P1012385_zpsfe8cc661.jpg.html"
    target="_blank"><img src="http://
    i520.photobucket.com/albums/w330/veggiecyclist/
    P1012385_zpsfe8cc661.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo
    P1012385_zpsfe8cc661.jpg"/></a>
    You two rock, hey wait this is bike content in the O.C.
    You know where you have to post this right.
    Progress: Just because we have always done it that way is no reason to keep doing it that way.

  5. #5
    Terrain Sculptor
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,685
    Yup. In with the unicorns and rainbows so Tone's will never see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

  6. #6
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10,429
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    You two rock, hey wait this is bike content in the O.C.
    You know where you have to post this right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    Yup. In with the unicorns and rainbows so Tone's will never see it.
    lol linked to the official thread including vol. 1 & 2

    Hawg's Bike Thread, Vol. 3
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  7. #7
    Ride More, Work Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,775
    There is winter and then there is winter-winter. I think this latter category describes the cities on this list.

    America's 25 Coldest Cities - The Daily Beast

    Of course, we made this list at number 11

  8. #8
    dru
    dru is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,443
    Heyall, where you're at is just like living in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, or Alberta. Too cold for me, that's for sure. As for moi, winter here, bring it on. As long as it's cold enough our muddy trails freeze into nice hardpack! And once we do get snow, I ride anyways. Fall and spring suck if it's wet.

    Drew
    occasional cyclist

  9. #9
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10,429
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    Heyall, where you're at is just like living in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, or Alberta. Too cold for me, that's for sure. As for moi, winter here, bring it on. As long as it's cold enough our muddy trails freeze into nice hardpack! And once we do get snow, I ride anyways. Fall and spring suck if it's wet.

    Drew
    That's right Dru the colder the temp, the harder packed the trail... harder is better
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  10. #10
    Ride More, Work Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,775
    Harder is better until your tire is thrown on a frozen rut or you test your brakes on a sheet of ice. Falling in the cold hurts so much more than fall in the warmth.

  11. #11
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    The Earth is so much harder when its frozen.

  12. #12
    Terrain Sculptor
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,685
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Harder is better until your tire is thrown on a frozen rut or you test your brakes on a sheet of ice. Falling in the cold hurts so much more than fall in the warmth.
    I'll bet both dru & cyclelicious have a set of studded tires.

    I have all 4 seasons all year round here. It's all about the elevation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

  13. #13
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    26,628
    Hey guys they do make snowmobile's you know. As a kid in upstate N.Y. we rode snowmobiles. When we got bored with that we put sheet metal screws [as studs] in the knobs of our motorcycle tires. We didn't have the luxury of circus like balloon tires on our bicycles. Fat bikes back then consisted of our Schwinn cruiser bikes playing double duty, a year round bike.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 10-29-2013 at 12:08 PM.
    Progress: Just because we have always done it that way is no reason to keep doing it that way.

  14. #14
    Ride More, Work Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    I'll bet both dru & cyclelicious have a set of studded tires.

    I have all 4 seasons all year round here. It's all about the elevation.
    Studded tires are on my shopping list for this winter.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    The Earth is so much harder when its frozen.
    Nah, the body is just softer

  16. #16
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,619
    Winter last about 6 weeks in jan/feb here in Az.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Winter last about 6 weeks in jan/feb here in Az.
    Winter lasts about 6 months in MN.

  18. #18
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    26,628
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    lol linked to the official thread including vol. 1 & 2

    Hawg's Bike Thread, Vol. 3

    Good girl, and I must say you be looking styling in that photo. SS on the other hand well his form needs some work. And It looks like he purposely rode off the end of that perfectly good platform. What the hell's wrong with him.
    Progress: Just because we have always done it that way is no reason to keep doing it that way.

  19. #19
    dru
    dru is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja
    I'll bet both dru & cyclelicious have a set of studded tires.
    I may have some studded rubber things, and I suspect that Cyclelicious does too, since she can be quite cheeky when she wants to be
    ......harder is better
    Drew
    occasional cyclist

  20. #20
    Ride More, Work Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,775
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Winter lasts about 6 months in MN.
    Ah, an optimist

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PerfectZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,185
    first significant storm at my "local" ski hill


    just gotta have the right gear...which arrived on Monday!
    buzzes like a fridge

  22. #22
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    26,628
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    first significant storm at my "local" ski hill


    just gotta have the right gear...which arrived on
    Monday!


    Perfect Zero with the double mystery post.
    Question one: Where is this local ski hill?
    Question two: You bought the skis on the net?
    Progress: Just because we have always done it that way is no reason to keep doing it that way.

  23. #23
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,315
    ahhh yes

    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PerfectZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Question one: Where is this local ski hill?
    Mammoth mountain. Not really "local" for anyone not living in Mammoth, but close enough for me!

    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Question two: You bought the skis on the net?
    Yessir!
    buzzes like a fridge

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    468
    Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr you people can have that frigid shlt.

  26. #26
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10,429
    Given the choice I prefer warm over cold. We can't change the weather so we find unique and fun ways to play. It's pretty awesome to be out on a frozen river. Dressing for the cold and having the right gear makes all the difference
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  27. #27
    dru
    dru is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,443
    More fun than riding in the mud!



    Winter?-img_3018.jpg
    occasional cyclist

  28. #28
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10,429
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    More fun than riding in the mud!



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3018.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	843218
    ^
    I like cold winter days like that

    unlike this

    v

    Name:  tumblr_mvj2vvTs6t1r0wqrdo1_500.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  26.8 KB
    Last edited by cyclelicious; 10-31-2013 at 07:42 PM.
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: theMeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,445
    I freekin love winter. Skiing, snowmobiling, and a warm fire on a cold night are all things I look forward to.
    Round and round we go

  30. #30
    Ride More, Work Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,775
    While I like to complain about the crappy weather here, I actually enjoy winter too. Walking late at night with fresh snow on the ground is something everyone should get to experience.

    I do grow a bit weary after 5 or 6 months of cold though.

Similar Threads

  1. A Winter/Spring/Winter Ride
    By egggman in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-09-2012, 09:10 AM
  2. winter means WINTER BUILD!
    By saturnine in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 01-01-2012, 03:39 PM
  3. Winter kit for mtb
    By wheeliejunkie in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-19-2011, 08:56 AM
  4. Ugh is winter over yet?
    By The Voyeur in forum Ibis
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-17-2011, 05:37 AM
  5. Winter...
    By MarkHL in forum Washington
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-20-2011, 06:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •