Page 7 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 57 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Deer, bobcat, turkey vultures, rabbits, bunnies, coyote, snakes, frogs, turantulas, herring, ducks, geese, peacock, boar, lizards, hawks, falcons, etc.

I stopped taking pictures of it all because I see these critters every ride.

The weirdest one was a coyote, in the middle of the day, crossing a HEAVY traffic paved trail to get to the creek. People were walking their dogs, children were on bikes and scooters, there were joggers and weekend warriors - and this wild dog just trots right through it all. Very strange when they are so elusive when I see them on the MTB trails.

I also had a coyote run alongside me while I was riding. Coolest thing in the world, like I had a trail dog for a few seconds.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    That birdie doesn't seem friendly at all!
    The Emus that stalk tourist campsites and picnic spots can be very aggressive. They will not take to being scared-off easily, when they are after food. They have learnt to be sneaky around unsuspecting tourists.

I've seen an Emu take a large T-bone steak off a sizzling skillet. Swallow the steak whole and have the scalding hot steak stuck half way down its throat and then run off into the bush. Then when the picnickers turned to look at the fleeing thief, in shock horror, two other Emus took the remaining two other steaks off the skillet and run away. Emus can be as dumb as a box of rocks ... but they always outwit the tourists.

I took that shot when I was defending my food, on the day that I witnessed the great food theft.

The Currawongs set the real ambiance, in my neck-of-the-bush with their amazing calls and their great sense of fun. A curious Pied Currawong.

Warren.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 06-07-2011 at 08:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Here's a few:

(click to see big!)

mtbr member
    Pic from a MTB adventure years ago - a kangaroo stopping in for a visit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-1988-mtb-tour-kangaroo-visit.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i was worried about upgrading my bike...now im gonna have to worry about upgrading my camera instead. Great Pictures thanks for taking the time to post.

Old Man
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    Biggest snake I've stumbled across in a while...
    Pretty pattern on that snake.
    "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." - Mark Twain
    Site

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Deer, bobcat, turkey vultures, rabbits, bunnies, coyote, snakes, frogs, turantulas, herring, ducks, geese, peacock, boar, lizards, hawks, falcons, etc.

The weirdest one was a coyote, in the middle of the day, crossing a HEAVY traffic paved trail to get to the creek. People were walking their dogs, children were on bikes and scooters, there were joggers and weekend warriors - and this wild dog just trots right through it all. Very strange when they are so elusive when I see them on the MTB trails.

I also had a coyote run alongside me while I was riding. Coolest thing in the world, like I had a trail dog for a few seconds.
    Wait! A F**king HERRING ??!! Did you just throw that in to see if we were paying attention?!? Or was this on one of those aqua-biking trips?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    Biggest snake I've stumbled across in a while...
    Rat snake or related?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Wait! A F**king HERRING ??!! Did you just throw that in to see if we were paying attention?!? Or was this on one of those aqua-biking trips?
    Maybe he was planning on chopping down the biggest tree in the forest.

stalker
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySmoke View Post
    Maybe he was planning on chopping down the biggest tree in the forest.
    Hahahhaha....Monty Python FTW
    Bark less, wag more

Give it a crank
    A couple desert creatures.

mtbr member
    Greatest thread ever. Thank you guys/gals!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I wish I was able to get a pic of the raccoon that scared the crap out of me today. That thing was bigger than my dog! (The dog is ~65 lbs)

Great thread!

mtbr member

spotted on a road ride

Rocky mountain sheep near Canmore AB
    Does this count or does it have to be mountain biking?
    Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-img_0498.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice, was the Kangaroo looking for food under your tarp?

mtbr member

spotted on a road ride

Rocky mountain sheep near Canmore AB
    Does this count or does it have to be mountain biking?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0498.jpg 
Views:	1862 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	618731

Newb
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    Rat snake or related?
    It's a gopher snake, there is a lot of debate whether they are related to rat snakes.
    SPY

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    nice

mtbr member
    May 2011
    We were riding in downtown Tuesday night and my buddy and I spotted a deer about 20 feet from us. Just looked at us as we got closer but never got spooked. Once we got to about 10 feet away he slowly started walking the opposite direction. It was pretty neat to see thats for sure.
    '14 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    '14 Trek Skye (Wife)
    '12 Specialized Crux Skittles
    '13 Specialized Allez Compact

mtbr member

This fella didn't make it....

.....we came across him on a short road section.....he had been hit by a car/truck ....broke his back leg .....and flipped him up and looks to have broken his neck.....sad....he was going to be a big buck...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-unnamed.jpg  

There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Old Fart, Crank Warrior
    Wildlife on the trail . . .

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    A couple desert creatures.

Great shot of the "Road Runner" a very cool bird. I see them once in awhile here in SoCal. I am always amazed at the resemblance of the cartoon charactor. They can sure run like it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post

Maybe there was more then one and they were stalking you. It happened to this poor girl in 2009 in Cape Breton Nova Scotia.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...tack-died.html

mtbr member
    I have been stalked many times by coyotes. I also ride and train horses and I always take my dog with me. They like to go after dogs. Sometime just one coyote, but I have seen as many as three at a time. I also take a gun with me, it usually takes care of the problem.
    Last edited by Mountain Cycle Shawn; 06-26-2011 at 10:33 PM.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I had never even heard of such a thing until I saw that on the news 2 years ago. I did not think Coyotes would attack humans. We have tons of Cougars and black bears up here on Van Island but evevn then you don't hear of many attacks. There have been 2 Black bear attacks in the last 3 years and they are the only two ever recorded on the Island.

Page 7 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 57 ... LastLast