Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132 LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,500 of 1560
    SPECIALizED
    Dec 2010

Re: Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...

Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    I would have thought the bears running away would be a good thing.
    Oh it was. They were a safe distance away. First bears I have ever seen in person. Would have liked to have gotten a picture.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by UPSed View Post
    So Cal. Frazier Park area.
    Very cool area.
    Front Range, Colorado.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    did you at least get one of Goldilocks
    If you have sex in a car with airbags....does that count as safe sex???

SPECIALizED
    Dec 2010

Quote Originally Posted by cerpindicular View Post
    did you at least get one of Goldilocks
    Goldilocks petting the turtle.
    Last edited by UPSed; 09-24-2014 at 07:53 PM.

banned
    Sep 2012
    sssnake. It's a baby Southern Pacific rattler

Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-image.jpg

Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Goldilocks petting the turtle.
    Where in the world was this picture taken? That does not look like tortoise terrain at all.

SPECIALizED
    Dec 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Where in the world was this picture taken? That does not look like tortoise terrain at all.
    West of the Grapevine near Lebec.

mtbr member
    West of the Grapevine near Lebec.
    Wow, seeing a Desert Tortoise in So Cal is a very lucky find. I've only seen one alive (Joshua Tree National Park) and a few dead ones around the desert regions of the SW.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    just a black snake today...was deer but she didn't hang around while digging out the phone

Wow, seeing a Desert Tortoise in So Cal is a very lucky find. I've only seen one alive (Joshua Tree National Park) and a few dead ones around the desert regions of the SW.
    Yes that is a rare sight and also a strange place to see one. In all my years of venturing in the So. Cal. deserts I've never seen one. They are protected and I think on the endangered list. Several years ago my X girlfriends sister called her from San Bernardino and said she caught a tortoise wandering around her neighborhood. I immediately thought of the California Desert Tortoise and told her it was illegal to keep. She didn't care and kept it anyway. A couple months went buy and we went up to visit her. Upon seeing her pet tortuous I determined it wasn't a California Desert Tortoise but an African Tortoise. Apparently a pet store or someone's pet set free.

He looked like this photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-image.jpg  

Front Range, Colorado.

SPECIALizED
    Dec 2010

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Yes that is a rare sight and also a strange place to see one. In all my years of venturing in the So. Cal. deserts I've never seen one. They are protected and I think on the endangered list. Several years ago my X girlfriends sister called her from San Bernardino and said she caught a tortoise wandering around her neighborhood. I immediately thought of the California Desert Tortoise and told her it was illegal to keep. She didn't care and kept it anyway. A couple months went buy and we went up to visit her. Upon seeing her pet tortuous I determined it wasn't a California Desert Tortoise but an African Tortoise. Apparently a pet store or someone's pet set free.

He looked like this photo.
    That was my thinking. It almost seemed domesticated. Someone's pet left behind.

That was my thinking. It almost seemed domesticated. Someone's pet left behind.
    No I think your sighting was a legitimate wild California Desert Tortoise. It's just a rare sight and a rare area for them to turn up. But they do get displaced with all the building going on in California. You may want to inform the California Fish and Game of the sighting. That species is so rare and endangered they like to keep track of all sightings.
    Front Range, Colorado.

SPECIALizED
    Dec 2010

Wow! I guess it was just excited to see other signs of life. It literally walked up to each of us as almost to tell us he was lost. I'll let the local resident know so he can pass on the info.

banned
    Sep 2010
    No I think your sighting was a legitimate wild California Desert Tortoise. It's just a rare sight and a rare area for them to turn up. But they do get displaced with all the building going on in California. You may want to inform the California Fish and Game of the sighting. That species is so rare and endangered they like to keep track of all sightings.
    I found 2 desert tortoises but both were in AZ.

Once I found a tortoise in LPQ Preserve, but it turned out to be an illegal alien tortoise. I met the Ranger back at the scene and we attempted to find it so she could keep it in the Ranch House visitors' center as a kids' attraction, but the bugger had either become coyote food or was just hiding out.

mtbr member
    In the Rincon Mountains on the east side of Tucson:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-tortoise-1.jpg  

Wow! I guess it was just excited to see other signs of life. It literally walked up to each of us as almost to tell us he was lost. I'll let the local resident know so he can pass on the info.
    That's the right thing to do to keep the species in check.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    I found 2 desert tortoises but both were in AZ.

Once I found a tortoise in LPQ Preserve, but it turned out to be an illegal alien tortoise. I met the Ranger back at the scene and we attempted to find it so she could keep it in the Ranch House visitors' center as a kids' attraction, but the bugger had either become coyote food or was just hiding out.
    Too funny! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    In the Rincon Mountains on the east side of Tucson:
    smilinsteve cool sighting.
    Front Range, Colorado.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Decent sized black snake while doing a greenway ride with my wife

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Does used to be wildlife count?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    About a year ago I saw a tortoise at Lake Miramar, but don't know
    what kind it was. Was still fun to see it.

mtbr member
    Here are some things we saw the other week from our Sea of Cortez trip. I flew in to LA where my friend Mark lives. Then we drove down to San Diego, went east to Calexico, and south down the SoC and then crossed over to highway 1 by Coco's corner and then down to Guerrero Negro on the Pacific side. Then back the way we came. The Cortez side is so much nicer to drive now than the Pacific side, way too much traffic around Ensenada and San Quentin. Not technically wildlife "on trail" but we had ye olde Mukluk fatbike with us.

First stop was Punta Final where we spent a few days in a secluded cove. Mark spearfished and I snorkelled. There were constant yellowtail and mullet and jack boils all over the place. These are mullet. We drove up to an overlook afterwards to take this shot. I didn't at first bring my telephoto lens out because I didn't think I'd need it and then a turtle swam by! I would have had a shot of it!

A coyote came by the second night and Mark's dog Quincy chased it away. There's always a coyote nearby. I left some fish carcasses for him to eat.

The buzzards liked it too.

Pretty grouper I caught, we let it go.

I would have gotten some underwater shots but I accidentally had the open back on the housing and fried my new Gopro 3+ black! I managed to dry it out, flush with fresh water so it now takes video again but acts funny and has no audio.

Mark loves killing groupers though. I caught the jack out in my packraft. Amazing spot, so much fish life. I have to work on my breath holding to stay down for a few minutes. I went around a rock and stumbled on a monster grouper, must have been 100 pounds. Luckily Mark didn't see it and I told him not to shoot it if he did. Later up on that cliff we saw it swimming around the rocks.

Cooking up the jack. Yum.

A hummingbird.... moth!

I just got a blacklight flashlight. Within 2 seconds of turning it on I found a scorpion. It was small and a few seconds later I found this one. They are everywhere. I will never camp in Mexico outside a tent.

Here is the monster in daylight with his goofy eyes.

Then we drove across to the Pacific side to hit Laguna Manuela and the shark head dumps to get shark teeth. These were great whites.

A seal skull in the beach.

A coyote skull washed down from the recent hurricane. I took this one home.

These big caterpillars were common, with all the recent rains spurring some new plant growth.

I was so sad to see this mangy little pup at a truck stop at Jesus Maria. I wish I could have taken her home, she was so scared. Too big though. I should have gotten mange meds and given them to strays as they beg for food. Poor little girl.

Here is my puppy Reina that I got last trip from Guerrero Negro, she was small enough to carry on the plane. She was in terrible shape, for sure would have died. Before and after.

Then back to the Cortez side on the way back up, staying at Papa Fernandez's beach, super windy but I survived. Another coyote looking for scraps but Quincy would have none of it. It looks like the coyote is stalking him but Quincy had just charged it.

banned
    Sep 2012
    ^ Awesome pics and report, Mark! Those coyotes are cool looking. I see some around my house here in So Cal that are big and plump from all the cats and small dogs they eat around here.

Mark very cool write up and photos. My brother lives in San Diego and has been going down to the a Sea of Cortez once a year for 15 years. A group goes down for a week of windsurfing and he also has numerous similar photos as yours.
    Front Range, Colorado.

banned
    Sep 2010
    I thought that taking your dog on a Mex vacation was a big problemo, Mark. No?

So Mark I'm confused with your story line. You met up with a guy named Mark apparently there were two Marks on this trip.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 11-10-2014 at 06:39 PM.
    Front Range, Colorado.

banned
    Sep 2010
    So Mark I'm confused with your story line. You met up with a guy named Mark apparently there were two Marks in thus trip.
    It was a trip literally Marked for adventure!

mtbr member
    So Mark I'm confused with your story line. You met up with a guy named Mark apparently there were two Marks in thus trip.
    I think it's clear that they left their Mark there.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    It was a trip literally Marked for adventure!

I think it's clear that they left their Mark there.
    I'm just hoping he finds his way back to the U.S. unscathed.
    Front Range, Colorado.

mtbr member
    Yeah we are both Mark. And never had a problem bringing a dog down, not sure if you're supposed to or not. Yeah there are even lots of coyotes up here in Canada, saw like 3 yesterday in Stanley Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    Yeah we are both Mark. And never had a problem bringing a dog down, not sure if you're supposed to or not. Yeah there are even lots of coyotes up here in Canada, saw like 3 yesterday in Stanley Park.
    Mark thanks for clearing up the whole double Mark scenario. For a minute there I thought I was losing my mind.

Once again great write up and photo spread.
    Front Range, Colorado.

mtbr member
    Mark thanks for clearing up the whole double Mark scenario. For a minute there I thought I was losing my mind.

Once again great write up and photo spread.
    Really? You had a hard time with Mark having his friend Mark along for the trip? Seemed possible to me.

What I am trippin' on is how in the farg they got from Canada all the way to Baja?!

Let's hope Mark, or his friend Mark, chimes back in to fill in the blanks. Mark my word, this is something we all need to know in order to avoid having the suspense leave a permanent Mark.

occ member
    Right on the Mark, Hawg!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris Badenov View Post
    Mountain bikers often have single track minds, get it?

mtbr member
    Mark my word.

mtbr member
    Ah Mark B.C. is from Canada and flies down to LA every year or so to go on a trip to Mexico with Mark L who lives in Long Beach. And Morgan from Ventura and Markos from Laguna sometimes come.

mtbr member
    Ah Mark B.C. is from Canada and flies down to LA every year or so to go on a trip to Mexico with Mark L who lives in Long Beach. And Morgan from Ventura and Markos from Laguna sometimes come.
    Got it!

banned
    Sep 2012
    Mark, Mark and Markos.. Morgan must feel like the odd man out, although you are all part of the 'M' club.

mtbr member
    Oh and Mark L's wife is Mary

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    Mark, Mark and Markos.. Morgan must feel like the odd man out, although you are all part of the 'M' club.
    All three of them share 3 like letters in their names!

mtbr member
    Oh and Mark L's wife is Mary
    Please don't tell us that they have kids whose names start with "M".

banned
    Sep 2010
    You also have those 'coywolves' up there, don't you? None of them in SoCal or Baja.

banned
    Jun 2007
    Last night Myrtle the Turtle damn near met Racing Ralph.

With the deep brightly-colored leaves, and low-angled light I saw him/her at the last second,
    as legs/head retracted into shell. (older pic)

Really? You had a hard time with Mark having his friend Mark along for the trip? Seemed possible to me..
    Oh I never doubted the possibility. I just didn't understand why Mark in his original post was talking about himself in the 3rd party.
    Front Range, Colorado.

mtbr member
    Oh I never doubted the possibility. I just didn't understand why Mark in his original post was talking about himself in the 3rd party.
    Well, he wasn't doing that. Only Hawg, with his multiple personality disorder does that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Last night Myrtle the Turtle damn near met Racing Ralph.

With the deep brightly-colored leaves, and low-angled light I saw him/her at the last second,
    as legs/head retracted into shell. (older pic)
    Looks like an Eastern Box, like mine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

saw this guy Sunday

Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-20141108_081208.jpg

I didn't do it
    Well, he wasn't doing that. Only Hawg, with his multiple personality disorder does that.
    Mookie understands what you are saying.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member

Yellow Rat Snake

It warmed up to about 80 after a few days in the 60s here in NE Florida. This guy came out and parked himself in the sun. He must have been a little cool because he allowed me to get within 12" to take this photo and never moved.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-yellowratsnake.jpg  

mtbr member
    ^ It looks pretty trim. Needs a "yellow rat" for lunch.

Fat & Single
    Dolphins at the wharf..

Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

^ It looks pretty trim. Needs a "yellow rat" for lunch.
    It's also very crooked. Maybe a wire clothes hanger would straighten him up.
    Front Range, Colorado.

Magically Delicious
    Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-rams.jpg
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X