Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast
    MTB B'dos
    Excellent, excelent stuff onbelaydave. Absolutely stunning images What telephoto are you using for those portraits? I'd guess somewhere around a 400mm unless you're somehow encountering some very tame animals.

Well here's my miniscule contribution. I have loads more images of animals, just not taken while riding since this is a fairly new passion for me - riding that is.

Found this guy enjoying lunch on Devils Backbone Trail just east of Lovelnad/Ft.Collins. He was a pretty large fella as you can see compared to my XL RIP9.

Also caught this guy a litle further up on Blue Sky Trail. Not the best photo, but not bad without the ability to set shutter speed etc. on a P&S camera.

Front Range, Colorado
    [QUOTE=LyNx]Excellent, excelent stuff onbelaydave. Absolutely stunning images What telephoto are you using for those portraits? I'd guess somewhere around a 400mm unless you're somehow encountering some very tame animals.

Well here's my miniscule contribution. I have loads more images of animals, just not taken while riding since this is a fairly new passion for me - riding that is.

Found this guy enjoying lunch on Devils Backbone Trail just east of Lovelnad/Ft.Collins. He was a pretty large fella as you can see compared to my XL RIP9.

Hey LyNx those are some killer shots as well. I remember those big grass hoppers swarming around the Devils Backbone. And by the way I was one of the pioneers of those trails near the Devils Backbone. We built many of them with our motorcycle dirt bikes in the seventies. I love returning home periodically to Loveland and seeing that it is a well kept trail system for people to enjoy, rather than being developed like most of the surrounding area.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Token Hillbilly
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    This brings up a very funny memory for me. I took my girlfriend who is a native Southern California girl to Colorado my old stomping grounds. We were up above Estes Park and above tree line where Marmots are very common. She saw one and got all excited as she loves wildlife. She said "look a Beaver" I responded laughing it's not a Beaver it's a Marmot. So later on we end up back at my parentís house where we were staying. And she is describing to my dad [an avid hunter] all the wildlife she had seen. We saw Deer, Big Horn Sheep, Elk and Varmints. My dad was like you saw what? She said Varmints, my dad I started cracking up and I said honey you mean you saw Marmots. And to this day she insists that they are Varmints and not Marmots.
    LOL... Where I'm from any animal found in this thread would be considered a varmint.

I need to start taking a camera out with me.
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

Loser
    Last week I was riding slowly waiting for my wife to catch up and I saw a chipmunk off the side of the trail. I figured it would scurry off into the woods when I got near it. It must not have been paying attention, I got right next to it before it took off. Of course it picked the wrong direction to run and it plowed right into my tire. It bounced off and ran back into the woods.

John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Here are a couple of mine... Nothing spectacular.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Jeff:

Found many of these building the trails at Moon Lake Park in Luzerne County PA.

Here's a link to more PA critters:

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/salamander.htm

mtbr member
    Saw this guy in Moab. Guess they're pretty common there.

Pivot Mach429

mtbr member

trail critters

Rattlesnake and tortoise

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Rutkiller, I don't want to push you over the edge, but have a look at this thread.

Apropos of exactly nothing, here is a mountain goat doing a pirouette
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    This brings up a very funny memory for me. I took my girlfriend who is a native Southern California girl to Colorado my old stomping grounds. We were up above Estes Park and above tree line where Marmots are very common. She saw one and got all excited as she loves wildlife. She said "look a Beaver" I responded laughing it's not a Beaver it's a Marmot. So later on we end up back at my parentís house where we were staying. And she is describing to my dad [an avid hunter] all the wildlife she had seen. We saw Deer, Big Horn Sheep, Elk and Varmints. My dad was like you saw what? She said Varmints, my dad I started cracking up and I said honey you mean you saw Marmots. And to this day she insists that they are Varmints and not Marmots.
    Thats got to be one of the funniest storys I've ever read mate, a real cracker!

I like to ride my bicycle
    I've seen plenty of kangaroos. Being in Australia, it's not the least bit unusual. In fact I almost rode into one the other night. My batteries were flat and I was riding in Hud's light, and didn't see the roo grazing on the edge of the track. Almost rode straight into it!

Once we saw a snow-white albino roo too. That was a rare one.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Bears are pretty tame in my neck of the woods ! TIG.
    Last edited by TIGMAN; 05-26-2011 at 09:31 PM.

annadel lives in my blood
    Quote Originally Posted by TIGMAN

looks like the bear was ready to have an meal with you or it was playing cards
    annadel is where its at

CHECK OUT MY FLICKR http://flickr.com/photos/32538636@N06/

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by doogie
    Thats got to be one of the funniest storys I've ever read mate, a real cracker!
    Thank you it is a true story and one to this day my family cracks up at. I left something else out of the story that is also just as funny. We saw quite a few Magpies on our trip; they are a black and white bird that acts alot like a Crow. Anyway she thought they were called "Mudpies" and when she said to my dad we also saw alot of Mudpies my dad just laughed under his breath and walked away. As I was explaining to her that they were called Magpies not Mudpies...? And to this day she insists that they are called Mudpies
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Grizzly

I don't think this poor guy made it through the night. I watched him for about 15 minutes and he never moved.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    I'm a little surprised that I'm the first person on the thread who's posting an image of a cat variety. (Does it disqualify me if the image was taking during hiking, instead of biking?)

This is a bobcat that I came across last year on Mount Tamalpais (on Coastal Trail). The only reason I was lucky enough to catch the shot was because the animal was completely absorbed in catching a small critter on the ground on which it was fixated (as you can see from its posture).

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TIGMAN
    Tigman, that is hilarious! What was for dinner?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

The Super Exotic Wildlife in NC

I see this guy regularly when I ride at the Greenway in Fort Mill....

squish is good

Scary Goats!

I like all the guys who are freaked out by the Mountain Goats! Check this out...

This was in the Teanaway in central WA. These guys will follow you around and wait for you to pee so they can lick it up. They like the salt in human urine and have developed quite the taste for it. The FS actually posts signs saying to relieve yourself well away from the goats or your liable to have one walk right up to you for a drink!
    Bike good, work bad.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    They also like the antifreeze from cars. Big problem in Glacier.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    I like all the guys who are freaked out by the Mountain Goats! Check this out...

This was in the Teanaway in central WA. These guys will follow you around and wait for you to pee so they can lick it up. They like the salt in human urine and have developed quite the taste for it. The FS actually posts signs saying to relieve yourself well away from the goats or your liable to have one walk right up to you for a drink!
    He he, they come up for a nip eh? Two meanings to that, neither pleasant!
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker
    Tigman, that is hilarious! What was for dinner?

LOL...........this fella is more docile than most people I know.......I dig it !

Here's another of a male blacky easily way over 400lbs in second picture ! TIG.
    Last edited by TIGMAN; 05-26-2011 at 09:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    This particular cow needed a little more roughage in its diet.

Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast