Page 29 of 59 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dead cow in foreground. Hungry coyotes in background. This was from three seasons ago I think at Curt Gowdy State Park in Wyoming
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-coyotes.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by judyklien View Post
    A big ass spider.... Just next to the blue knob on my fork
    Indeed it is there...
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by judyklien View Post
    A big ass spider.... Just next to the blue knob on my fork
    I think I see it. Is that one of its legs coming up to the front side of the blue knob?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Another amazing Australian beastie that I had never heard about. That critter is awesome, both for size and markings. I've never seen a lizard with polka dots!

Quote Originally Posted by Zaf View Post

A Perente out on the trails, he was a decent sized one as well, about a 1.2m long. Sunbathing on a nice section of singletrack, photo's were taken after he'd scampered off a bit and I gave chase to get some piccies.

mtbr noob
    Too slow to get a pic, but last fall while riding near queen wilhelmina inn near ok-ark border 4 out of our group of 5 came around a corner and startled a 5' long black jaguar in the middle of the trail. Extremely rare sight, but happening more and more frequently. I'm told they do come this far up out of Mexico occasionally. He took one 25' leap and he was GONE !
    I was out front and he scared the crap out of me...
    roxo56
    Surly Troll
    SC Butcher

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roxo56 View Post
    Too slow to get a pic, but last fall while riding near queen wilhelmina inn near ok-ark border 4 out of our group of 5 came around a corner and startled a 5' long black jaguar in the middle of the trail.
    That's absolutely awesome. I was in McAlester about a month ago but didn't see anything of the sort.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Speaking of spiders... I saw this guy last summer on a ride here in SoCal. It must have been high 90's, and this guy was hanging out on the asphalt road that came out of the desert. He was moving pretty fast when I rode by and I didn't know what it was, so I stopped - and he immediately charged me! I remember thinking WTF?, but soon realized that he was only after a bit of shade. This is easily the coolest jumping spider I have ever seen - metallic green palps, that he kept vibrating, intermittently, very fast and then still - I wonder if he was using his palps to fan his underside - the asphalt must have been 120 degees. He was about the size of the last joint of my pinkie finger and about the same width. Easily one of the coolest little animals I've ever seen!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcolletteiii View Post
    Speaking of spiders... I saw this guy last summer on a ride here in SoCal.
    That's a pretty darn good picture you took.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    That's a pretty darn good picture you took.
    Thanks! I cropped it a bit, but the only reason it's decent is that I just happened to have my dSLR with me that day. There is some creepy old cold war era ex-top secret stuff down where I was riding that day that I wanted to get a couple photos of. If I had only had my cellphone, no one probably would have been able to see what I had even taken a photo of!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    yesterday, saw a hawkish looking bird and a non-hawkish looking bird playing together. got my phone out as they perched in a Christmas tree together.

kind of cute - it was like interracial love.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-birds.jpg  

mtbr member
    Well since its the 25th went for a 25 mile ride to test out my new fenders and saw these-

and the fenders

An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence. Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Came upon a group of four burros in San Timoteo Cyn of Redlands, Ca. They group of four scattered but I felt blessed seeing those guys until I rounded the corner and came upon 30+ more. They saw me and took off running. It was like a stampede. They put some distance on me and then turned around to check me out. I snapped a pic but the distance was great and the light was fading but you can see a few of them in this photo.

official eMpTyBRain
    Those must be some of the burros that live in the San Bernardino Mtns during the warm season. I used to see some up in Big bear every Summer years ago.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I see wild donkeys on nearly every ride - I'm just below the Box Springs on the MoVal side, just teh other side of the hill from Redlands. Never seen that many in one place - I've been seeing one family group a lot though, a mom, a yearling, and a little asset. I'm still not sure exactly how friendly they are - I'm a bit intimidated by them when they're close to the trails - especially the mom with the little one. I am sure I've seen people feeding them on the side of the road, or trying to. I slow way down and kinda creep along until they move back a bit.

Front Range, Colorado
    It's hard telling in that photo but could that be a "walking stick" rather than a spider. I used to see them frequently in upstate N.Y. they look exactly like a stick until they move. Very cool but creepy, similar to a Preying Mantis.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

removing nudity
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    It's hard telling in that photo but could that be a "walking stick" rather than a spider. I used to see them frequently in upstate N.Y. they look exactly like a stick until they move. Very cool but creepy, similar to a Preying Mantis.
    Yeah we get the stick insects here as well but my guess is that spider is a net casting spider

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Those must be some of the burros that live in the San Bernardino Mtns during the warm season. I used to see some up in Big bear every Summer years ago.
    Ambassadorhawg, I know what burros you are talking about. I too used to see them up near Big Bear. There are small packs of wild burros and wild horses throughout California.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Wild burros in socal. I never knew. That's what I learned today.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    They could be from the Big Bear area.. I know a few years back that the DFG rounded up a bunch of burros in Big Bear and transported them off the mtn for adoption which occurs in San Tim Cyn off of Pilgrim Rd. They are many horse properties there to house the burros.

I do believe these burros have been roaming San Tim Cyn for many years and migrate over the hills into Moreno Valley. I have seen burros in Reche Canyon and also in Grand Terrace hills near Blue Mtn. There is an abundance of open range, food and water available to them.

official eMpTyBRain
    Ambassadorhawg, I know what burros you are talking about. I too used to see them up near Big Bear. There are small packs of wild burros and wild horses throughout California.
    I also see packs of them off Hwy 15 coming back from Vegas. In the heat of the Summer, they are bunched up under dense Joshua Tree patches. Keep and eye open if you drive out that way. There's lots of them.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcolletteiii View Post
    I see wild donkeys on nearly every ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Wild burros in socal. I never knew. That's what I learned today.
    Heck yeah . . . there is PLENTY of wild ass in SoCal. Just hit the beach path during the summer months!
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Found this guy on a solo ride last summer, right before I broke a spoke and had to walk for a while
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-snake.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Heck yeah . . . there is PLENTY of wild ass in SoCal. Just hit the beach path during the summer months!
    Sometimes you have to beat em off with a stick!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thread title
    ...post your pics...
    Well, I'm waiting.
    2011 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    Nukeproof Proton Pedals
    Ergon GP2 Grips
    Avid BB7 Brakes

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-image.jpg  

Page 29 of 59 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast