Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,350 of 1560
    mtbr member

Re: Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...

Baby wild turkeys.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Some great contributions everyone. It's that time of year [spring] the critters are out in force.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    I grew up on a large ranch with a lot of animals, and I like animals. But, monkeys kinda freak me out.
    ^^^^^^^ This I laugh at...thank's MCS for making my day.
    Front Range, Colorado.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Some great contributions everyone. It's that time of year [spring] the critters are out in force.

^^^^^^^ This I laugh at...thank's MCS for making my day.
    It might make you laugh, but I know what Shawn means. Monkeys are creepy.
    Besides, look what that chimp did to that poor ladies' face.

Fat & Single
    "You got yer paws over my eyes... we cant escape if i cant see"

Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

A waste of time it is is
    mmm, possum pie

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    mmm, possum pie
    The one hanging onto mums backside is looking a bit worried
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Awesome!
    I need to figure out how to take qquick pics while riding...came around the corner on some single track last Thursday and a young deer was smak dab in the midle of the track...corse as soon as I buzzzed around the corner Hop & Jump = Gone
    Small snakes
    Lizards
    A Turkey from time to time
    Nothing crazy yet...
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    It might make you laugh, but I know what Shawn means. Monkeys are creepy.
    Besides, look what that chimp did to that poor ladies' face.
    Yes they are and You wouldn't find me touching one. I just thought the way Shawn said it was funny. Speaking of critters I almost ran in to an Elk last night. A cow Elk crossed right in from of me at about 10:00 pm. I never even saw her until I was right on top of her. Luckily our timing was such that she was two steps faster than my 40 mph speed. Knowing they usually travel in herds my senses were heightened for any others but I didn't see any. But earlier that day I saw a red fox and well over 100 Pronghorn Antelope and a few hundred head of Bison. The bison were on a ranch though but they look wild out on the plains in Wyoming.
    Front Range, Colorado.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    i really need a go pro or something never have a camera for what i see. Bunch of deer the last few times out, painted turtles, and my first "big" snake just today. Was chugging along up hill when i see a root and think to myself "wait theres no big fat root here, at least there wasn't 2 days ago". Get about 3 foot from and realize its not a root but a long fat black snake. After sending him on his way every root and stick for the next mile or so was a snake and there are some really rooty sections on this trail system lol.
    If you have sex in a car with airbags....does that count as safe sex???

Colorado living wildlife sightings are almost a daily occurrence. Here are some of what I've seen just in this past week. Elk,deer,antelope and more that I didn't get photos of. I was bummed this morning coming across a dead Bobcat on the road.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-image.jpg  

Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-image.jpg  

Front Range, Colorado.

Fat & Single
    First time I've ever seen one of these scary mofo's, my lights lit it up on a bike path and i thought it was a small snake ! I have literally seen 100's of deadly snakes here but I've never had the hair on the back of my neck stand up !

6-7 inch long giant Centipede, same family as the South American Scolopendra... I'm still a bit creeped out

Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

I didn't do it
    ^^Aren't those suckers venomous?
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    ^^Aren't those suckers venomous?
    Bloody oath they are ! They wont kill a human but it says there is severe pain for a few days.

The bit that gets me is they can go anywhere, up walls and into houses. We have 9 of the top 10 most deadliest snakes on the planet here in Australia but they slither on the ground... this bugger has spooked me out !!!
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Bloody oath they are ! They wont kill a human but it says there is severe pain for a few days.

The bit that gets me is they can go anywhere, up walls and into houses. We have 9 of the top 10 most deadliest snakes on the planet here in Australia but they slither on the ground... this bugger has spooked me out !!!
    Yeah, that's what I thought. Creepy and scary - they could be anywhere!
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

banned
    Sep 2010

They won't kill you though. We have them in SoCal, and one morning I found one that size on the second story deck.

Dr Gadget is IN

Yep, that's right - snakes stay on the ground!

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    They wont kill a human but it says there is severe pain for a few days.
    Wasn't that a Magnum PI episode?

The bit that gets me is they can go anywhere, up walls and into houses.
    I found this guy in my shirt hanging 6 feet up on the palapa to dry. If I didn't hold it up to my face to smell it first, I would have put it on with this included! Not super dangerous though, more like a bee sting

Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-dsc_2873_008.jpg

We have 9 of the top 10 most deadliest snakes on the planet here in Australia but they slither on the ground... this bugger has spooked me out !!!
    And you Ozzies are afraid of a little ol' bear when you come over to N America?!?! At least I can see a bear coming for me.

CDK
    mtbr member
    That is a bark scorpion Arizona bark scorpion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They can actually really mess people up especially kids.
    They are all over where I live too and they get into some sketchy places like a towel in the bathroom or a shirt like what happened to you,shoes etc..

All I have really seen on the trails since moving to AZ 8 years ago are lizards, snakes,turtles and prairie dogs.
    Here is the most recent pic that I haveWildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-snake1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CDK View Post
    That is a bark scorpion Arizona bark scorpion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They can actually really mess people up especially kids.
    They are all over where I live too and they get into some sketchy places like a towel in the bathroom or a shirt like what happened to you,shoes etc..

All I have really seen on the trails since moving to AZ 8 years ago are lizards, snakes,turtles and prairie dogs.
    Here is the most recent pic that I haveClick image for larger version. 

Name:	snake1.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	894677
    California King snake and yes they do live AZ as well.
    Front Range, Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    They won't kill you though. We have them in SoCal, and one morning I found one that size on the second story deck.
    Yep Ray I have seen those big ass creepy things around San Diego as well.
    Front Range, Colorado.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia View Post
    Fatalities from scorpion envenomation in the USA are rare and are limited to small animals (including small pets), small children, the elderly, and adults with compromised immune systems.
    Yikes, and a few days earlier I got my little street puppy from Guerrero Negro and she was tied up right there!

Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-dsc_2554_001.jpg

It seems every second day when packing up my tent a scorpion would scurry away. I wonder what this one is.

CDK
    mtbr member

banned
    I haven't seen those huge centipedes but we get these around our house in Pt. Loma (house centipede).

Biggest I've seen is 2". I had one almost crawl into my glove when I was under the house doing some work.

Occasionally one gets in the house. If it's really quiet, you can hear their feet skittering on the wood floor when they run away.

mtbr member
    Man, it sure would be interesting to get into scorpion ID on my Baja bike trips. Get a little UV light.

And then there was this guy who came out form under my tent one morning. Only an inch across though:

Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-dsc_1513_000.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    Yep, that's right - snakes stay on the ground!

It's obvious those ^^^^^ snakes are trying to spell SOS and we as stupid humans just walk right on by.
    Front Range, Colorado.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Oh man, scorpions give me the willies! When my wife and I were in Costa Rica in 2012 there was one in our room in a towel on the floor. The only reason the towel was there was because we were moving to another hut that day so I threw all the dirty towels in a pile, not something you want to do if you are staying in that room any longer because they love those types of hiding places.

Story goes... I was on the pot making a mess of that bathroom rather than the next room/hut and I looked down and saw the thing with it's pinchers up in the air at me. I, ugh, cleaned up and had to dance around it a bit. I immediately went out and told my wife we should go so we can get going on a hike while they switch our rooms. Up at the front desk I told my wife she should hit the head but she said she didn't have to go.. I said "you always have to go" and she agreed and went. As soon as she left I told the guy about the scorpion and asked him to go get our bags ASAP and get rid of the scorpion.

We got back to our new room and I still hadn't told her and didn't plan on doing so until the flight home. She made me get bug spray later that day because the hut was pretty rugged and had some gaps in the doors etc. So I got bug spray that was specific for scorpions too and sprayed around the hut. The next morning there was a dead one outside in an area I sprayed, phew! Not so fast.. The last day we were there we were sitting in the bed waiting for them to come get us for the shuttle and a big one was crawling on the headboard right above where we were just lying down and my wife saw it and freaked! That's when I told her about scorpion #1. She was jokingly not happy with me.

The first night in that hut she could not sleep because of the bugs, monkeys, and general jungle sounds around us. Then she saw a gecko and got even more mad saying, "where did you bring me?" So I said the gecko is good and hunts bugs.. Her response, "THAT MEANS THERES BUGS IN HERE!" Touché wifey... Touché.

mtbr member
    Haha, that's why I always set my tent up even on hotel beds... (edit ... ESPECIALLY on hotel beds)

Once in the Peruvian Amazon I was lying on a wooden dock at dusk. Then I got up and 10 minutes later a giant tarantula was sitting there, it was just underneath me under the dock.

High Desert MTBer
    In 8 years living in S AZ. I have never seen a scorpion outside, at least not alive... maybe my eyesight is crap. Sometimes get em in the house tho, so we spray for that every so often. Don't fancy waking up next to one... The centipede is something I am not keen on, I see them here sometimes too, but only outside thank Dog! Met this little guy a couple days ago up the hill here:

Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-rattler-may-14.jpg

Almost sure he's a W D'back and not a Mojave, but I didn't want to get that close for a positive ID...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    In 8 years living in S AZ. I have never seen a scorpion outside, at least not alive... maybe my eyesight is crap. Sometimes get em in the house tho, so we spray for that every so often. Don't fancy waking up next to one... The centipede is something I am not keen on, I see them here sometimes too, but only outside thank Dog! Met this little guy a couple days ago up the hill here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rattler May 14.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	894750

Almost sure he's a W D'back and not a Mojave, but I didn't want to get that close for a positive ID...
    Need to see it's head up close to be sure but from what I see, I'd agree that it's a WDB.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Need to see it's head up close to be sure but from what I see, I'd agree that it's a WDB.
    I'll second that and raise you 4 rattles.
    Front Range, Colorado.

mtbr member
    I'll second that and raise you 4 rattles.
    I'll 3rd that and raise you 6mg of venom.

I'll 3rd that and raise you 6mg of venom.
    I'll raise you a MagPie

Heres a MagPie I managed to get a photo of the other day. Damn birds are smart enough to know when you're within firing range and fly away.

Can you see him on top of the sign giving me the "stink eye" just seconds before he flew away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-image.jpg  

Front Range, Colorado.

mtbr member
    I'll take your Magpie and raise you a Ringed-neck snake.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-115.jpg  

I'll take your Magpie and raise you a Ringed-neck snake.
    I've caught those before east of San Diego.

I'll raise you a Pronghorn Antelope.

Front Range, Colorado.

mtbr member
    Haaa! Pronghorn antelope, haaa!

I'm bumping it up with a Tarantula Hawg Wasp having it's way with it's catch!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-photo0153.jpg  

Haaa! Pronghorn antelope, haaa!

I'm bumping it up with a Tarantula Hawg Wasp having it's way with it's catch!
    As you know. I got stung by a Tarantula Hawk several years ago. The worst pain I've ever felt and come to fine out they rank #2 of worst and most painful stings to humans in the insect world.

I'll raise you an Elk having his way with a tree branch.

Front Range, Colorado.

mtbr member
    Ohhh! That's quite a contribution to share while riding!

Perhaps my hand caught Mohave Green Rattler can topple your Elk?
    And yes, it was encountered while riding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-closeup.jpg  

mtbr member
    I saw a coyote...

Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-dsc_1811_000.jpg

While that photo is impressive I think the "while riding" part of this thread was tossed 45 pages back. :
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 05-20-2014 at 09:50 PM.
    Front Range, Colorado.

NMBP
    A Tarantula Hawk Wasp that I was trying to get a good photo of, this was as good as I got.

And this guy decided that he liked the shade under my truck.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...

I found a unicorn!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

banned
    Sep 2012

Winner! Just saw this post and it gives me the willies. Mohave greens are super venomous, like over a dozen times worse than a regular diamondback if I am not mistaken? How did you even catch it? Stick to hold the neck/head down then grab it?

banned
    Sep 2010

That's might dangerous. Remember what happened to Steve Irwin.

mtbr member
    We all thought he'd get done in by a snake bite or something, but a stingray through the heart from swimming in shallow water? Never woulda guessed it. BTW last month in Mexico a girl who was on our trip got nailed by a stingray and it went right through her foot.

mtbr member
    GS, Yes, used a stick to pin down it's head then I grabbed it carefully. This took place during early Spring and the snake was very timid upon it's capture. When I pinned it down, it didn't even move. However, after holding it for some time, it became quite upset and it actually chased my for a short spell when I released it.

Old Ray, I've already outlived my animal world hero, Steve Irwin. I don't handle dangerous snakes anymore. That pic was from decades ago.

GS, Yes, used a stick to pin down it's head then I grabbed it carefully. This took place during early Spring and the snake was very timid upon it's capture. When I pinned it down, it didn't even move. However, after holding it for some time, it became quite upset and it actually chased my for a short spell when I released it.

Old Ray, I've already outlived my animal world hero, Steve Irwin. I don't handle dangerous snakes anymore. That pic was from decades ago.
    I've always been one to catch a rattler just for the fun of it. But like you Hawg those day's are over with. An older wiser DJ has emerged.

Speaking of snakes just an hour ago I was driving along a 4 lane road out in the country. With very few cars on it and I notice a car stopped in the right lane heading the opposite direction. As I passed I noticed a guy standing in the middle of the road and whipping a shirt towards a large curled up snake that was striking out at him. I whipped a u turn and made it over to him just as another guy in a small Fiat zipped over and jumped out. By the time I got my iPad out to get a photo and run up on the location. The original guy that pulled over knew me and said hi. As I said what's up Barry? He said I got bit but just a little bite. I said just a little bite you better get your butt to the hospital. I having not seen the snake up close yet. He said oh it's not a rattler but a bull snake. From a distance they look similar. About that time the guy that came up before me threw the shirt over the pissed off coiled up striking snake and grabbed it up and tossed it off the road into the deep grass. As I watched him slither away I couldn't get a photo but I'm guessing he was a good 5' and almost as thick as a beer can. Bummer I didn't get there before the other guy did because he was coiled and striking over and over as I walked up.
    Front Range, Colorado.

banned
    Sep 2010
    I've always been one to catch a rattler just for the fun of it. But like you Hawg those day's are over with. An older wiser DJ has emerged.

Speaking of snakes just an hour ago I was driving along a 4 lane road out in the country. With very few cars on it and I notice a car stopped in the right lane heading the opposite direction. As I passed I noticed a guy standing in the middle of the road and whipping a shirt towards a large curled up snake that was striking out at him. I whipped a u turn and made it over to him just as another guy in a small Fiat zipped over and jumped out. By the time I got my iPad out to get a photo and run up on the location. The original guy that pulled over knew me and said hi. As I said what's up Barry? He said I got bit but just a little bite. I said just a little bite you better get your butt to the hospital. I having not seen the snake up close yet. He said oh it's not a rattler but a bull snake. From a distance they look similar. About that time the guy that came up before me threw the shirt over the pissed off coiled up striking snake and grabbed it up and tossed it off the road into the deep grass. As I watched him slither away I couldn't get a photo but I'm guessing he was a good 5' and almost as thick as a beer can. Bummer I didn't get there before the other guy did because he was coiled and striking over and over as I walked up.
    Sounds like a lot of excitement for a Sunday! I don't catch rattlers anymore either. In fact, I generally leave them alone unless their location is gonna generate problems.

My brother lives in Caramel Mountain Ranch / north county San Diego. He's been seeing coyotes frequently in the day time and was curious what roams through his yard. So he set up a motion sensor camera in his back yard. His house in in a development with many other houses. But it backs up to a canyon and the critters use it as highway to get around. He's had many night time shots of a bobcat but a couple days ago he finally got some day time morning photos of him.

Not riding shots but I'm posting them anyway.

Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 05-28-2014 at 01:22 PM.
    Front Range, Colorado.

mtbr member
    Beautiful cat.

banned
    Sep 2012
    That's cool, DJ! I have yet to see a bobcat and want to badly. They aren't nearly as scary as mountain lions, unless they are rabid. Plus my elementary school mascot was a bobcat!