• 02-17-2014
    ozzybmx
    Just lazing around... watching MTBers buzz by on the singletrack.

20140217_181626[1] by bcdsom, on Flickr
  • 02-17-2014
    Hawg
    ^ Great picture!!!
  • 02-17-2014
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Just lazing around... watching MTBers buzz by on the singletrack.

20140217_181626[1] bybcdsom, on Flickr

Oh man Ide have to scoop him up and keep him as a pet. ;)
  • 02-21-2014
    crashtestdummy
    So I was out riding today and I noticed this fawn that seemed to be following me around.

I started to get a little annoyed. What the hell was going on with this guy?

Finally I had hit my limit. I reached out and caught it, then I buried it in the sand up to it's neck. It picked the wrong mountain biker to mess with.

• 02-21-2014
    Hawg
    ^ You must have looked really odd carrying that decoy head around with you, then stopping to pose it, and then taking pictures with it and stuff. Wow...
  • 02-21-2014
    Mark_BC
    Was it albino? It looks awfully white.

Here is what was watching me pack up one morning last fall in the Chilcotins.

• 02-21-2014
    Mookie
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post

Very cool.
  • 02-21-2014
    sasquatch rides a SS
    Quote:

Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    So I was out riding today and I noticed this fawn that seemed to be following me around.

I'm embarrassed to admit that it took me 'til the fourth picture to realize it was a fake deer...I thought it just had the same stupid-ass look every time you caught a glimpse.
  • 02-21-2014
    crashtestdummy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    ^ You must have looked really odd carrying that decoy head around with you, then stopping to pose it, and then taking pictures with it and stuff. Wow...

No, no, it was following me. And I only saw one other person and he is an old friend.
  • 02-21-2014
    crashtestdummy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    Was it albino? It looks awfully white.

Very cool, worth the price of admission. It's coat doesn't look too unusual to me.
  • 02-21-2014
    Hawg
    Quote:

No, no, it was following me. And I only saw one other person and he is an old friend.

Was it the crashtestdummy that you saw (the old friend)?
  • 02-23-2014
    DIRTJUNKIE
    1 Attachment(s)
    :thumbsup:Very cool sighting and he's looking rather thin and hungry. ;)
  • 02-23-2014
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

Wow repack you sure are brave messing with that plastic head.
    Actually you did get me all the way up until the third picture.
    "He was just following me around with this same dumb look on his face"
    Hilarious brother! :thumbsup:
  • 02-23-2014
    Mookie
    Quote:

I started to get a little annoyed. What the hell was going on with this guy?

Finally I had hit my limit. I reached out and caught it, then I buried it in the sand up to it's neck. It picked the wrong mountain biker to mess with.

He has that certain "deer in the headlights" expression throughout, even after getting buried. Something seems just a little off here.
  • 03-10-2014
    ozzybmx
    Flinders Ranges in South Australia, the very rare and endangered Yellow-Footed Rock-Wallaby.

Awesome looking creatures !

• 03-12-2014
    foxpuppet
    Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...
    So I was on this trail on dusk with all these moths around. All these little sparrows were hammering the moths but getting very close to my head. I was concerned I was gonna get hit.... Turns out it wasn't birds!

Sent by Microbat
  • 03-18-2014
    alphazz
    I think ozzy has been going to the zoo lately. Seriously, I'd like to see some of his wildlife while on the trail. This is from my ride today.
  • 03-19-2014
    Twimby
    1 Attachment(s)
    These little guys were all over the beach on a recent night ride
  • 03-19-2014
    Mtn-Rider
    A horned lizard in a sunny spot right in the middle of the trail.
    <iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/gillcouto/12510074533/player/" width="800" height="494" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>
  • 03-19-2014
    Gordon Shumway
    3 Attachment(s)
    I must have accidentally unsubscribed from this thread.. Anyways, here is a rattler I almost ran over yesterday on an after work ride.

Attachment 878147

Attachment 878148

Finally got him to move, he never cared much I was there but it was only ~70* out and he was trying to warm himself up.

Attachment 878149
  • 03-19-2014
    rigid9
    Excellent photos here. Having just started MTB'n this winter, I haven't seen anything beyond deer on these Georgia trails.
  • 03-19-2014
    Gordon Shumway
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rigid9 View Post
    Excellent photos here. Having just started MTB'n this winter, I haven't seen anything beyond deer on these Georgia trails.

I saw some deer on Sunday too here in So Cal..

Attachment 878157
  • 03-19-2014
    Mark_BC
    Grouse and deer on Lick Creek trail, Chilcotins, BC, Aug 2013

• 03-19-2014
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foxpuppet View Post
    So I was on this trail on dusk with all these moths around. All these little sparrows were hammering the moths but getting very close to my head. I was concerned I was gonna get hit.... Turns out it wasn't birds!

Great bat photo which is quite a hard critter to get a photo of. And don't sweat it they're harmless unless you pick one up and he bites you and then rabies are possible. But other than that they won't attack you like some people think. In fact they are a huge part of the echo system. They pollinate flowers by eating bugs or nectar from one flower and then going to another flower. Which spreads pollen from one flower to the other.
  • 03-19-2014
    Brandon5132
    Re: Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...
    saw 8 deer on the trail today

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  • 04-01-2014
    In-Yo-Grill
    2 Attachment(s)
    Saw this 5' rattlesnake sunning himself on the trail today.
  • 04-01-2014
    crank1979

• 04-01-2014
    rockerc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    Saw this 5' rattlesnake sunning himself on the trail today.

Hang on! Thread ain't about the wildlife you killed and ATE off the trail!!!

I mean, I never posted the picture of the Gila Monster I barbecued the other day... tasty!
  • 04-01-2014
    Hawg
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I never posted the picture of the Gila Monster I barbecued the other day... tasty!

rockerc, are you off your rocker, mate?!!! You're telling me that you captured, and then killed, and then ate a Federally protected reptile?!!! :nono:

The Feds will be waiting for you at your front door to take you into custody if you are not there when they arrive, which should be only moments from now because I just hung up the phone with them....

That will teach you to post something like that where a reptile lover like myself could read it. :lol:
  • 04-01-2014
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

rockerc, are you off your rocker, mate?!!! You're telling me that you captured, and then killed, and then ate a Federally protected reptile?!!! :nono:

The Feds will be waiting for you at your front door to take you into custody if you are not there when they arrive, which should be only moments from now because I just hung up the phone with them....

That will teach you to post something like that where a reptile lover like myself could read it. :lol:

Rocker I'm with Hawg besides are sure? Maybe you ate a barbecued Iguana instead of a Gila Monster.

Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio - Video Dailymotion
  • 04-01-2014
    Hawg
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Rocker I'm with Hawg besides are sure? Maybe you ate a barbecued Iguana instead of a Gila Monster.

Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio - Video Dailymotion

I saw rockerc's selfie in the selfie thread. He kinda looks like a Gila Monster. ;)
  • 04-01-2014
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

I saw rockerc's selfie in the selfie thread. He kinda looks like a Gila Monster. ;)

On a good day..
  • 04-01-2014
    rockerc
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Oh Bugger! I'm outta here!!! They'll have to catch me first! They'll never take me alive!

Attachment 881851
  • 04-02-2014
    wv_bob
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    In fact they are a huge part of the echo system.

I see what you did there.

Or maybe your spell checker did it.

Either way :)
  • 04-02-2014
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    I see what you did there.

Or maybe your spell checker did it.

Either way :)

Even if I blamed it on my spell checker would you believe me.
  • 04-13-2014
    Cobra8d
    3 Attachment(s)
    Otay Lakes, Chula Vista, CA
    Ran into this guy while climbing up the upper lake.
  • 04-13-2014
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra8d View Post
    Ran into this guy while climbing up the upper lake.

Wow that's about as big as I've seen them in San Diego county. He's probably on his way into Mexico just yards away from where you are standing. ;) did you check to see if he had his green card.
  • 04-13-2014
    musikron
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 885112

A nice sized rat snake at Harbins Park yesterday.
  • 04-13-2014
    MattMay
    Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...
    Chesebro Park this past Thursday...4 footer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 04-13-2014
    rinseflow
    Here's a blindworm. Well it's not on a trail but seen while cycling from one trail to another.

Not a worm and it isn't blind either nor is it a snake but a limbless lizard. I've seen four of these in my entire life and one of those four was lying dead on a logging road probably ran over by a car.
  • 04-13-2014
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rinseflow View Post
    Here's a blindworm. Well it's not on a trail but seen while cycling from one trail to another.

Not a worm and it isn't blind either nor is it a snake but a limbless lizard. I've seen four of these in my entire life and one of those four was lying dead on a logging road probably ran over by a car.

Yep definitely a bizarre creature, one that got stuck in limbo during evolution. ;) I've seen them in books only where did you see the ones you've seen?
  • 04-13-2014
    rinseflow
    That one was on a long gravel road near horse stables. The others besides the one that had gotten ran over on a logging road turning point I saw in my childhood while picking berries and/or mushrooms with my parents. I remember my father showing me the critter and telling me it isn't a snake although it's called copper snake in finnish. Those were on/near small trails in a pine forest here in Finland a long time ago.
  • 04-13-2014
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rinseflow View Post
    That one was on a long gravel road near horse stables. The others besides the one that had gotten ran over on a logging road turning point I saw in my childhood while picking berries and/or mushrooms with my parents. I remember my father showing me the critter and telling me it isn't a snake although it's called copper snake in finnish. Those were on/near small trails in a pine forest here in Finland a long time ago.

Finland got it, thanks and very cool sightings by the way.
  • 04-13-2014
    Ladmo
    1 Attachment(s)
    Not along the trail, but some friends just had this guy after the bird feeder in their backyard.

Attachment 885242
  • 04-13-2014
    Hang 21
    ^^ Wow...killer view from that back yard!
  • 04-13-2014
    smilinsteve
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hang 21 View Post
    ^^ Wow...killer view from that back yard!

Yeah, even without the bear!
  • 04-13-2014
    Hawg
    I wonder how he got that bear to pose and wave "hi"? Or is he just ringing the dinner bell?
  • 04-27-2014
    ozzybmx
    Beechworth MTB park, Vic, Australia.

• 04-27-2014
    crashtestdummy
    Chipmunk

• 04-27-2014
    crashtestdummy
    Western Fence Lizard

Gopher Snake