• 11-15-2012
    June Bug
    Great thing about winter is the snakes are in hibernation. Kept wishing there was a "picture of a snake" warning for posts on this thread! Not a big buzztail fan.
  • 11-15-2012
    smilinsteve
    1 Attachment(s)
    I got some nice feedback on my pictures (thanks) including some appreciation from marmot lovers out there, so here's another good marmot shot:
  • 11-15-2012
    smilinsteve
    1 Attachment(s)
    Horny toad:
  • 11-15-2012
    smilinsteve
    1 Attachment(s)
    Another Marmot:
  • 11-15-2012
    smilinsteve
    1 Attachment(s)
    More Mountain Goats:
  • 11-15-2012
    Grinderz
    Frilled kneck lizzard.

    He was too fast to get a decent shot. The 3 that I grabbed on my phone were too blurry.

    Crazy little buggers run around on their back legs!
  • 11-15-2012
    2ridealot
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I got some nice feedback on my pictures (thanks) including some appreciation from marmot lovers out there, so here's another good marmot shot:

    Nice shots! I got to see my first one in Yellowstone this June. Interesting creatures
  • 11-15-2012
    John Kuhl
    Is there such a thing as a two leg
    horny toad, I may fit in.
  • 11-25-2012
    natzx7
    2 Attachment(s)
    Balm Boyette trail system on Saturday, saw 2 deer, an armadillo, a yellow snake with brown stripes, a gopher tortoise and a weird caterpillar.
  • 11-25-2012
    Hawg
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Horny toad:

    Where was this little fellow seen? Do you know what species???
  • 11-25-2012
    June Bug
    Horned toads are wonderful little critters; we loved to catch them as kids. Their population is in decline now in Texas, so it is a treat to see one.
    Lots of info on Texas horned lizards here. The Texas variety looks a bit different than the one in the picture on this thread.
  • 11-25-2012
    Hawg
    1 Attachment(s)
    Same here, used to catch and keep lots of them as a kid. Habitat destruction/development has limited their numbers here and they are now Federally protected. We have the Coast Horned Lizard here, the species is Phrynosoma Coronatum. Been squirted with eye blood from them many times. lots of fun. Still see them every year in secret areas and on rides in my local foothills/mountains. Love them!!!
  • 11-25-2012
    shekky
    1 Attachment(s)
    telling each other jokes in the marin headlands...
  • 11-25-2012
    moofish
    Two stumpies on the trail otherwise known as shingleback lizards Fox Creek fun 4 - YouTube
  • 11-25-2012
    smilinsteve
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Where was this little fellow seen? Do you know what species???

    Jazz Trail, Red fleet state park,Vernal, Utah. I have no idea about species.

    I used to see quite a few when I lived in Tucson as well. I think they looked pretty similar to this Utah dude, even though the environment is much different in Tucson.
  • 11-25-2012
    Hawg
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Jazz Trail, Red fleet state park,Vernal, Utah. I have no idea about species.

    I used to see quite a few when I lived in Tucson as well. I think they looked pretty similar to this Utah dude, even though the environment is much different in Tucson.

    I believe yours is a Round Tailed Horned Lizard. Really neat!!!
  • 11-25-2012
    T SULLI
    Caught a glimpse of a few more deer the other day. Same place as last time. I will definitely get some pics for you guys next time since I know where they live now haha.
  • 11-27-2012
    grizzlyplumber
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Here's the albino deer that I mentioned earlier.

    http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...80885746_n.jpg

    Not really an albino. FWIW its called a piebald. (Just in case anyone cares.)
  • 11-28-2012
    Micka
    1 Attachment(s)
    Goanna. Decent size, probably about 1.5m nose to tail. Usually they like to hide from you on the far side of whatever tree they scramble up, this guy was kind enough to stay in view. Saw four or five smaller ones the same day too.
    Attachment 740488
  • 11-28-2012
    Map204
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Micka View Post
    Goanna. Decent size, probably about 1.5m nose to tail. Usually they like to hide from you on the far side of whatever tree they scramble up, this guy was kind enough to stay in view. Saw four or five smaller ones the same day too.
    Attachment 740488

    Looks hug-able... Seriously, that would scare the crap out of me if they're up a tree like that as I'm flying by on my bike. It's really cool though!
  • 11-28-2012
    June Bug
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Map204 View Post
    Looks hug-able... Seriously, that would scare the crap out of me if they're up a tree like that as I'm flying by on my bike. It's really cool though!

    eeeeeek! Just looked these guys up on the Google. They are carnivorous lizards that have sharp claws and teeth! They feed on carrion if there isn't anything fresh available.
    Not feeling warm and fuzzy about these guys.
  • 11-28-2012
    skullcap
    Lizardsquirrels. Cool.

    Flesh eating lizardsquirrels. Even cooler.
  • 11-28-2012
    grizzlyplumber
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Micka View Post
    Goanna. Decent size, probably about 1.5m nose to tail. Usually they like to hide from you on the far side of whatever tree they scramble up, this guy was kind enough to stay in view. Saw four or five smaller ones the same day too.
    Attachment 740488

    You can live on it, but it tastes like sh**.
  • 11-28-2012
    Lawson Raider
    Mule deer I ran into riding up at Dead Horse state park near Moab, UT. Didn't expect to see one up there. LOL.

    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...96566090_o.jpg
  • 11-28-2012
    moofish
    Goannas are ok maaate just dont be too close when they are on the ground they run up what is the tallest thing nearby, if that is you they dont mind.