Page 22 of 61 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by natzx7 View Post
    I wonder if they were hunted with dogs and its an instinctive response, or they are just " cat people"
    Too funny! The CW is that dog equals wolf in the musk ox mind, but the cat people theory is gaining ground.

mtbr member
    Don't have pics but we usually encounter squirrels, chipmunks and deer but sometimes we'll encounter beaver, porcupine, skunks, racoons, snakes and will hear coyotes.

No bears so far during rides but a cub visited the house recently looking for food.
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 09-14-2012 at 08:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    But just the sight of a dog can trigger an aggressive response.
    Llamas also seem to have an innate & very aggressive response to dogs.

beater
    I wish I had a photo (or video) from last evening: we were in the middle of one of our favorite downhills when a bull elk charged across the trail ~20 yards ahead of us.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Racing Turtle

Noxin Montana After a local turtle race a couple miles up the hill outside of town...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-p7100004.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    no pictures cause i never have a camera for some reason but last week I seen more deer then i can count some of which i got within 10 feet of before i noticed they were even there and they just stared at me also a couple fawns and a little box turtle having a trail side snack. Bunch of fish to in the river that runs through the trail system and some really weird birds that i have never seen before and where apparently bat **** crazy..
    If you have sex in a car with airbags....does that count as safe sex???

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    I have a question for you wildlife experts. At the trailhead today either a lynx or bobcat sprinted past me and I'd like to figure out what it was. It went by fast so I tried to make a mental image of it. It crossed the trail directly in front of me and went into the brush.

It was a little larger than a typical house cat and had a spotted coat. It did have a long-ish tail that came to a point (that's why I'm thinking it wasn't a bobcat). It was svelt, not burly like a bobcat I've seen in the past. And, it had a log white patch on the bottom of the tail and the white patch was outlined with black (the rest of the tail was spotted same as the coat).

My google searches aren't getting any hits for the white patch on the bottom of the tail. Any ideas?

EDIT: Just read that a bobcat is a form of Lynx. Guess that settles it. I had a bobcat cross about 10 feet in front of me today.
    Sure it wasn't a Savannah Cat?
    We have one running around my neighborhood...

Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    I was huffin it up a hill, head down and heard something go splashing out of the pond on my left, it was this bad boy who was just as happy as I was there were no real danger.

Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-moose.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat94 View Post
    Many Kangaroos in Australia! dont have any pics unfortunatnley
    Then it never happened.

mtbr member

I saw something today and have no idea what it was.

I wasn't on my bike. I was driving north on Tapo Cyn. Rd in Simi Valley, CA. I was about a mile from the ranch I grew up on. I have spend a ton of time in the mountains in this area on bikes, motorcycles, jeeps, on foot and even horses. I've seen everything in these mountains, but I saw something today that I have never seen before, and it kinda freaked me out. I was driving up the road and something crossed the road in front of me. I got a good look at it for probably two seconds, before it went into the brush and down into the creek. It was taller then a coyote or a bob cat. It was more like the size of a big mountain lion. It was a light brown color, but what's really weird is, this thing had no hair on it, or if it did have hair, it was extremely short. It was really thin and I could see every contour of its boby. It had long thin legs. The best that I can explain on how it moved, would be a cross between a bog and a cat. It definitely had a cat like head that was very lean, with a short nose. It didn't have big ears like a coyote, but I can't say what it's ears looked like. Same with the tail, I can't tell you what the tail looked like, but it definitely wasn't a long tail like a mountain lion or even like a coyote. It didn't at all move like a bob cat or a coyote or a mountain lion. It looked like a tall, thin grey hound dog, with a cat head and no tail. I got plenty of sleep last night and I don't do drugs. This has me very confused.
    Last edited by Mountain Cycle Shawn; 09-17-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    I wasn't on my bike. I was driving north on Tapo Cyn. Rd in Simi Valley, CA. I was about a mile from the ranch I grew up on. I have spend a ton of time in the mountains in this area on bikes, motorcycles, jeeps, on foot and even horses. I've seen everything in these mountains, but I saw something today that I have never seen before, and it kinda freaked me out. I was driving up the road and something crossed the road in front of me. I got a good look at it for probably two seconds, before it went into the brush and down into the creek. It was taller then a coyote or a bob cat. It was more like the size of a big mountain lion. It was a light brown color, but what's really weird is, this thing had no hair on it, or if it did have hair, it was extremely short. It was really thin and I could see every contour of its boby. It had long thin legs. The best that I can explain on how it moved, would be a cross between a bog and a cat. It definitely had a cat like head that was very lean, with a short nose. It didn't have big ears like a coyote, but I can't say what it's ears looked like. Same with the tail, I can't tell you what the tail looked like, but it definitely wasn't a long tail like a mountain lion or even like a coyote. It didn't at all move like a bob cat or a coyote or a mountain lion. It looked like a tall, thin grey hound dog, with a cat head and no tail. I got plenty of sleep last night and I don't do drugs. This has has me very confused.
    Something like this?

mtbr member

Chupachabra???

Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Something like this?
    could have been a lanky mutt boxer grayhound mix or some such mess; does that sound ugly enough for you? Rohdisian ridgeback with ringworm? Who knows, call unsolved mysteries, they'll chase any rumer.

mtbr member
    ^ the only resemblance there is the legs, with no visible hair. It had a lean cat head, no long nose. Im not saying it didn't have ears or a tail, but if it did, they were a lot smaller. I'm so confused by it, I keep asking my self if I saw anything at all. Because it just doesn't match with anything I have ever seen. By the way, what is that ^ a picture of? What I saw was so weird, I get goose bumps when I think about it.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    By the way, what is that ^ a picture of?
    That's supposed to be a chupacabra.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Something from another world?

mtbr member
    Where are its victims who's blood it sucked dry?

lidless ascender
    It would be a bit of a stretch calling these two ladies wildlife, but they sure looked like they were enjoying themselves

Marko
    I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Pictography

meh... whatever
    when i lived in thailand i rode in the national parks around chiang mai, which are basically raw, unmolested jungles/forests full of interesting wildlife like large bands of monkeys (which will assault in mass), HUGE bugs/insects (some of which will kill you), cobras, tigers, elephants, and so forth.

once while deep in the interior and far off the beaten path i encountered a huge bull elephant that charged when i startled him. ditched my bike and got behind a large tree keeping it between him and me, where i stayed until he left. let me tell ya, that dude left a very wide path in his wake!
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    I have a question for you wildlife experts. At the trailhead today either a lynx or bobcat sprinted past me and I'd like to figure out what it was. It went by fast so I tried to make a mental image of it. It crossed the trail directly in front of me and went into the brush.

It was a little larger than a typical house cat and had a spotted coat. It did have a long-ish tail that came to a point (that's why I'm thinking it wasn't a bobcat). It was svelt, not burly like a bobcat I've seen in the past. And, it had a log white patch on the bottom of the tail and the white patch was outlined with black (the rest of the tail was spotted same as the coat).

My google searches aren't getting any hits for the white patch on the bottom of the tail. Any ideas?

EDIT: Just read that a bobcat is a form of Lynx. Guess that settles it. I had a bobcat cross about 10 feet in front of me today.
    We have a cat like that on my little slice of mountain. Ours is a Serval, which is an African cat that is sometimes imported as a pet but then let go because they are hard to handle.

Serval - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

bust a move
    Back in June while on vacation in the Tetons, upon check-in we were told there were 6 bears in the park and one had been seen in the campground the day we arrived.

This was on the inside of the porch portion of our tent cabin. I tried to tell the wife it wasn't for sure a bear paw mark. Wife =
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-sam_1385-640x480-.jpg  

Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Nothing exotic where I live. Just garter snakes, box turtles, and deer.

Loser
    Last week, riding solo in the late afternoon - the trails were mostly empty (didn't see anyone up until this point). I came around a blind corner and startled a 100lb black bear. He ran about 10 feet off trail and up the first tree he came to (about 15 feet away from me). I thought "cool" and pulled out my phone to take a picture:

My phone has that stupid shutter sound turned on and when the bear heard that sound he slipped down the tree and stared at me - I was close enough to see his eyes. At that point I was off my bike and after seeing how fast that bear could move to get up the tree, I was not comfortable with the distance between us and the stare down he was giving me. The words "concerned" do not properly convey my mental state at that moment.

I said aloud "I was a lot more comfortable when you were up in that tree". The bear turned his head and hauled down through the woods away from me. It turns out he was terrified of me, glad he picked that option rather than running towards me.

Good times!
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    Last week, riding solo in the late afternoon - the trails were mostly empty (didn't see anyone up until this point). I came around a blind corner and startled a 100lb black bear. He ran about 10 feet off trail and up the first tree he came to (about 15 feet away from me). I thought "cool" and pulled out my phone to take a picture:

My phone has that stupid shutter sound turned on and when the bear heard that sound he slipped down the tree and stared at me - I was close enough to see his eyes. At that point I was off my bike and after seeing how fast that bear could move to get up the tree, I was not comfortable with the distance between us and the stare down he was giving me. The words "concerned" do not properly convey my mental state at that moment.

I said aloud "I was a lot more comfortable when you were up in that tree". The bear turned his head and hauled down through the woods away from me. It turns out he was terrified of me, glad he picked that option rather than running towards me.

Good times!
    Yeah Bear kinda freak me out. While in Dupont I seen a more than enough foot prints to keep me on edge. While I didn't see a bear, I knew they were around.
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Big Deal

Gnarly
    Newt

Caterpiller
    Pale Tussock Moth (Halysidota tessellaris) [Banded Tussock Moth]

F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Give it a crank
    This rattler owned the trail.