Page 16 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SparxFlyer View Post
    Hey Jmiah,

The Ellicottville Bike Shop has WNYMBA maps for sale and I highly recommend one... It provides all the trail info and parking / camping spots on the "IMBA Epic" trail system there.

For a preview and computer-based map go to WNYMBA and check out their maps page. You'll still want to buy a map ($10), as it's a large map on water - resistant paper and it supports the WNYMBA financially.

For 2 rides I parked up on top at the trail heads and for a third I parked at the west end of Holimont ski hill and rode up to the top on the XC ski trails (it has signs for MTB Trails, too.) Did about 50 km worth of riding over 2 days. On 2 of my rides (Sat. evening and Sunday afternoon) I didn't see a single person on the trails so make sure you can self support!

Also, for the longer trails to the southwest of the system, ride in a counter-clockwise direction! This is important for maximum enjoyment of the trails! Direction is less important for the trails to the NE, and I road those clockwise and had a good time.
    Thanks for the info! I'll definitely stop at the bike shop before heading out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    This guy on hard surface trail near our campsite in Custer. I seen to mule deer but wasn't quick enought.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    found this guy in the woods at a local trail. the beach is a good 5 miles away, across many roads and whatnot.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Saw this mini, up to date version of a triceratops aka horned toad while riding the trails in Southern California.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I wish I had my camera out a lot more. I ride a lot at night (working nights really messes with your schedule. But in the past week I've literally almost ran into a Great Horned Owl who was chowing down on a rabbit and last night at work I had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting a rattlesnake crossing a dirt road. Being the idiot that I am I got out and got behind him and shook his rattle. Let me find some pics.

This was in Estes Park which looks completely different now that it's on fire.

The story on the elk went like this. I was in Estes at a little lake, harassing this duck who for some reason refused to take my Cheezit. When all of a sudden I thought someone had bumped into me. I turn around to the alpha female standing there. After a few minutes of testing my limits I decided to see if Elk were like horses when scratched between the ears.

This little guy was crossing the road at the golf course in Hilton Head

Will travel to ride!
    Sep 2011
    I saw these two eight point bucks in the same herd of deer yesterday! I was so glad I had my camera with me on my ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-002-resized.jpg  

Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-006-resized.jpg  

mtbr member
    I saw some odd looking birds yesterday on my favorite trail. They were tall, probably about my waist's height or more. It reminded me of that bird in the movie "Up". Did some research and I think they were a pair of Sand Hill Cranes. It says they are uncommon in our area. Cool!

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
    I saw some odd looking birds yesterday on my favorite trail. They were tall, probably about my waist's height or more. It reminded me of that bird in the movie "Up". Did some research and I think they were a pair of Sand Hill Cranes. It says they are uncommon in our area. Cool!
    Looks like sandhills to me, there's a ton of them by me in WI, did they make the creepy jurassic park noises for you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    Looks like sandhills to me, there's a ton of them by me in WI, did they make the creepy jurassic park noises for you?
    Oh I thought I heard something odd too!

Actually, I'm new in America and all the common wildlife I see around is uncommon to me! Seeing rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, and what not scampering around freely is very much amusing to me! But my county's website says that these pair of Sandhills I saw are uncommon in our area. So, it was a treat to me!

I remembered one time when I newly arrived, I saw a snake in the common lawn area. I called the property management company about it. They said, "Sir, you live by a forest preserve. Those are common in your area..." It made me feel dumb! Haha!
    Last edited by littlebadboy; 06-26-2012 at 07:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Saw this guy blocking my flowing single track, and a bunch of Calf's behind him I turned around.. His horns looked a lot bigger in person sorry for the bad picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-458569_3120649269614_1976833077_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by halfnhalf View Post
    Saw this mini, up to date version of a triceratops aka horned toad while riding the trails in Southern California.

Thanks for the pic. I have a great affection for horny toads (or as the guide books says--the horned lizard, a spikey--bodied reptile). For some reason they always remind me of childhood, when it was so fun to see one.

Their population in Texas has been in decline for quite some time, mainly due to the generally bad juju of the imported fire ant invasion and they are now a protected species.

What I didn't know 'til just now (thanks, wikipedia) is that the Texas variety can aim & shoot blood from the corners of its eyes and mouth ! Yes, I'm telling you! I'm not making this up. The reptile version of "Stand Your Ground". How cool (and generally bad a**) is that?

mtbr member
    Saw this turtle in Sudbury, Ontario.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-turtlesmall.jpg  

'10 Hardrock Sport Disc

Gnarly
    I've seen deer on the trail many times, but what makes this deer spotting unusual is that the pic was taken along a trail system in downtown Toronto (Don Valley)

F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

bust a move
    I sensed some "attitude"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-sam_0983.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Wildlife you have seen n trail

Almost ran into this as I was biking the singletrack in Valley Forge Park, Pa.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-valley-forge-biking-003.jpg  

mtbr member
    Found this guy at Papago in Phoenix

Michigan Wolverine
    Today I rode by a little fawn, a fairly young/small buck, and a couple having a good time in the middle of the trail. The sad thing is I was more surprised when I saw the deer.
    Amassing Miles - My Little Cycling Blog

mtbr member
    Moved this fairly-new-to-the world gopher tortoise off the trail at Balm Boyette, FL on a recent ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-tortoise-baby.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cw50must View Post
    Found this guy at Papago in Phoenix

I am relatively new in the country. I have a question on occasions that you meet a snake along the way... do you stay away? How far? Do they chase you?

mtbr member
    I am relatively new in the country. I have a question on occasions that you meet a snake along the way... do you stay away? How far? Do they chase you?
    This is a non rattler so I wasn't worried about getting too close, he slithered off the trail and into some bushes rather quickly, so I just happened to catch him at the right time as he crossed. I've run into Rattlesnakes only a few times and I personally keep my distance from them. I've never had a snake chase me.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I've ran over a number of rattlers. That decision making part when seeing them is rather instantaneous and based entirely on the circumstances. If I have time to stop, I will. But after reading about a dude on these forums who grabbed his brakes and locked both his front wheel as well as his rear wheel, sending him flying, just to go get bitten by the snake-I tend to keep rolling. The ones I have ran over have all been on blind corners. Otherwise, stay calm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    I've ran over a number of rattlers. That decision making part when seeing them is rather instantaneous and based entirely on the circumstances. If I have time to stop, I will. But after reading about a dude on these forums who grabbed his brakes and locked both his front wheel as well as his rear wheel, sending him flying, just to go get bitten by the snake-I tend to keep rolling. The ones I have ran over have all been on blind corners. Otherwise, stay calm.
    Aren't they quick enough to bite back at your leg after running them over? I'm just asking to know what I should do if it happens to me.

bust a move

What is it?

Can someone identify this critter for me? It was in Loma,CO.

I saw many prairie dogs while riding but this was different and bolted when I moved closer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-sam_0883.jpg  

High Desert MTBer
    Aren't they quick enough to bite back at your leg after running them over? I'm just asking to know what I should do if it happens to me.
    Only if you're riding really, really slow. Or if you stop on top of 'em... as long as you stay out of reach you are OK. They can strike up to half the length of their body. Best not to try and measure them tho, just guesstimate and add a few feet. I have had one come towards me after I rolled him, he was extremely pissed and rattling up a storm, so I got well out of his way.
    Mostly they will try to get away from you, just try not to sit on them, step on them, kiss them, (you'd be surprised), or generally f**k with them. Also, do not dress up in rodent outfits and poke around the rocks making squeaking sounds. (Again, you would be surprised).
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Surprised they let me take this shot!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-p1010395.jpg  

Page 16 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast