Page 15 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast
    Give it a crank
    It wasn't on the trail but I saw this Harris Hawk when I got back from this morning's ride.

see me rollin, they hatin
    i only have a story, not a pic. i was riding on a very public busy trail this weekend, and i see this round ball of fur rolling around up ahead. i got closer and realized it was a raccoon, in the middle of the day, on a public trail. It looked like it was wrestling a possum. Suddenly it stopped and stared up at me for a few second, then dragged the possum off the trail. Turned out it wasnt a possum, it was one of its own babies. apparently it got away from its mother and she was trying to frantically yank it back to safety.

then further down was a huge snapping turtle in the middle of laying its eggs, just inches off the paved path. Stupid turtle! those babies are gonna hatch and get run over by all the traffic
    fap

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Here are three that I saw this morning after my walk at Smithville Lake (1 week left to go until I can ride...LOL).

Brown bird in a tree.

Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-smv_bird1.jpg

Couple of cardinals next to a pond.

Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-smv_bird2.jpg

Saw a garter snake right after leaving the trailhead...almost ran over the poor guy but saw him in time to avoid him.

Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-smv_gartersnake.jpg
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member

Just Before we....

...headed out from my house....6 riders standing in the driveway.....and our Lynxx EE ran by with a rabbitt in his mouth....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-040_800x450.jpg  

There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Wow you guys see a lot of wildlife. The parks I ride in are basically inside the city limits, we don't have much there. But so far I've run across the following:

-Squirrels
    -Chipmunks
    -One or two deer
    -A bat (that actually scared the crap out of me, he flew right in front of my face lol)
    -A rabbit or two
    '12 Trek X-Caliber // '11 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I dont have any pics to prove it so now i will have to carry my camera with me at all times .Seen a coyote, Snapping Turtle, Deer, And i destroyed a turkey on a trail .Not on purpose lol He came from outta nowhere . Thats pretty much it ..

Let's Ride!
    Saw this fox this morning..............and pulled a friggen tic off my leg too........I always spend the rest of the day freaking out when I find a tic ......

74 & 29 pilot
    ROOOOAD BLOCK Came to a skidding stop for this guy today.

MTBP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-img_0924.jpg  

MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

Give it a crank
    Nice looking rattler! I almost ran over this snake, don't know what it is.

MTB Mamba
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Came across this young Gila Monster yesterday in the Tortolita Mountains NW of Tucson. I see a few up there, this guy is relatively small, maybe 6 or 8".

Super jealous! I love reptiles and a Gila Monster is #1 on my list of wildlife I want to come across in the wild.

Plus size jersey model
    Just to one up Rockerc because he's a Brit here is my pic of a baby Gila Monster from Sweetwater trail in Tucson. Also QuenteK25 move to Tucson if you want some sweet GM action. I average three a year. Also about 5 species of rattlesnake a year on the trails.

74 & 29 pilot
    I've seen three of them in the last 2-3 months here in the Phoenix area; 2 in PMP and 1 at Pima/Dyna trails. Pics posted of two of them on previous pages, and the third I just watched move fast of the trail while hissing the whole way.

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

T E A M L U N A

Mini Bull

All hail Mini Bull.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-mini-bull.jpg  

En la tierra de los ciegos, un hombre tuerto es rey.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Inquisitive little guy...

...I had the camera real close, he just looked at it never hid his head!

Pine Creek rail trail in Pennsylvania.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-pine-creek-6-16-12-038_900x900.jpg  

my church is the woods

Mama Bear

Big mama bear, little cubs scampered way up to the treetop. Only a few feet off the trail, needless to say we made a detour way out around her.
    Mahlon-Dickerson, north Jersey.

The 5th knuckle

Commute in today

Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-com-5.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Bold Vole...

I spent this past weekend riding the awesome "IMBA Epic" trails around Ellicottville, NY. A flat that wouldn't seal up lead to me using this stump as a make shift bike stand.

About 10 minutes in there's this bit of scurrying that attracts my attention and this little vole comes darting through the leaf litter back to the stump. At first I stayed still and just watched as it came up and explored around the disturbed areas where I'd been standing, occasionally producing these little squeaks which, allowing some artistic license (anthropomorphism), sounded like it was a bit annoyed with the alterations to its front yard.

Realizing it wasn't at all concerned about me I pulled out the camera and took a few shots.

It became obvious that the stump was its dwelling, and it had a number of tunnels in and around the stump, which for an insectivore has to be like having a smorgasbord for your home.

It was fascinating to watch but eventually it scurried off. I fixed my flat and before I left grabbed some leaf litter and spread it around the areas I'd disturbed.

All in all, a fun bit of distraction and a way to celebrate the "little things" that keep mother nature in balance.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy - lovin' the full squish 29'r!

mtbr member
    Heading up that way next week. Any suggestions on places to ride and maybe GPS coordinates to he parking area and/or trailhead?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    A few critters the last few rides. Saw momma bear and 3 cubs but couldn't get phone out of pack fast enough!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-photo-2-.jpg  

Wildlife you have seen on trail...post your pics...-photo.jpg  

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxrider458 View Post
    A few critters the last few rides. Saw momma bear and 3 cubs but couldn't get phone out of pack fast enough!!
    That owl chick is creepy looking.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by bigworm520 View Post
    Just to one up Rockerc because he's a Brit here is my pic of a baby Gila Monster from Sweetwater trail in Tucson. Also QuenteK25 move to Tucson if you want some sweet GM action. I average three a year. Also about 5 species of rattlesnake a year on the trails.
    Heheh! That's a Gila Monsterette!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Ellicottville NY Hints

Quote Originally Posted by jmiah View Post
    Heading up that way next week. Any suggestions on places to ride and maybe GPS coordinates to he parking area and/or trailhead?
    Hey Jmiah,

The Ellicottville Bike Shop has WNYMBA maps for sale and I highly recommend one... It provides all the trail info and parking / camping spots on the "IMBA Epic" trail system there.

For a preview and computer-based map go to WNYMBA and check out their maps page. You'll still want to buy a map ($10), as it's a large map on water - resistant paper and it supports the WNYMBA financially.

For 2 rides I parked up on top at the trail heads and for a third I parked at the west end of Holimont ski hill and rode up to the top on the XC ski trails (it has signs for MTB Trails, too.) Did about 50 km worth of riding over 2 days. On 2 of my rides (Sat. evening and Sunday afternoon) I didn't see a single person on the trails so make sure you can self support!

Also, for the longer trails to the southwest of the system, ride in a counter-clockwise direction! This is important for maximum enjoyment of the trails! Direction is less important for the trails to the NE, and I road those clockwise and had a good time.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy - lovin' the full squish 29'r!

mtbr member
    May 2011

Look closely and you'll see a fish following the turtle around.

Green parrot on a rock taking a drink from the creek.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    That owl chick is creepy looking.
    I don't think The baby horned owl made it. I rode by where it was last weekend, and it looked like a wing was laying on a bridge crossing where I originally saw it.

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    this bobcat trotting along the road leading to haypress camp in the marin headlands just did not care about me or my bike until it heard the camera shutter...it was back in exactly the same place five minutes later...
    Awesome. I came across a bobcat a couple of weeks ago but it was at dusk and I didn't get a photo. I'm really surprised it wasn't spooked by you.

Page 15 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast