Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    see me rollin, they hatin
    i rode my bike down a railroad bridge (think a smaller version of the one in Stand by me). it was a live rail and bike tires just dont hop over those slats very fast. i dont think i'd do it again. talk about puckering.
    fap

9 lives
    Who Likes Trains?-7mo8uhh.jpg

Very pretty! doesn't look like it's been used much recently however.

There's tons of awesome railroad snowplow videos on youtubes.

F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

see me rollin, they hatin
    Who Likes Trains?-10583931_10154455047385271_2856342661229585995_n.jpg
    fap

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7MO8UhH.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	917295

Very pretty! doesn't look like it's been used much recently however.

There's tons of awesome railroad snowplow videos on youtubes.

Judy thanks for posting that us some crazy stuff.

Nicole awesome photo.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

the half breed devil
    just watch it for the sound at about 7:46 in...the N&W columbus district line ran through my hometown...the peavine connects with the columbus district just north of portsmouth...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_UCMG00JDlg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

humber river advocate
    Sault Ste. Marie Agawa Canyon Tour Train

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/b5efGUsy_eY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    NicoleB as a railway employee I feel obliged to give you an official telling off for riding over that bridge!

I've worked for KiwiRail (the government-ownen national railway in New Zealand) for a little over five years now. Started out driving passenger trains in our largest city (Auckland) then after three years transferred to my small home town as what you'd call a Conductor in the US, working freight (mostly logs and container traffic). I'm hoping to get back in the drivers seat once some of the old boys here start retiring, but for now I'm happy admiring the scenery and taking photos of our minor, remote, and often neglected lines.

Sometimes we get held up by the traffic.

Sometimes we get held up with track faults.

And sometimes those track faults cause accidents, luckily the 60 year old wagons aren't worth much so they're not often recovered.

We always get the best locomotives.

And the log yards are always well kept.

But it really is a great job, and there's nothing I'd rather do despite the long nights.

And the cold foggy mornings.

Because there's not many offices that have a view like this.

Or this.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    NicoleB as a railway employee I feel obliged to give you an official telling off for riding over that bridge!

I've worked for KiwiRail (the government-ownen national railway in New Zealand) for a little over five years now. Started out driving passenger trains in our largest city (Auckland) then after three years transferred to my small home town as what you'd call a Conductor in the US, working freight (mostly logs and container traffic). I'm hoping to get back in the drivers seat once some of the old boys here start retiring, but for now I'm happy admiring the scenery and taking photos of our minor, remote, and often neglected lines.
    You've got my dream job. I've always harbored a desire to work the rails. But I ended up in an office instead. Great stoke!
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

Maaaaan
    Well Judy thanks for the rotary plow pics.
    Actually, all the pics are cool.
    It's funny how this thread got resurrected, since I just went on a 10 day vacation that included lots of train pics (over 270) and included talking my way into the cab of Southern Pacific Rotary Plow 208 at Portola CA.
    I also crossed NV on Hwy 50 to Ely, and rode the "Ghost Train" number 93.
    Who Likes Trains?-aug-11-14-portolaelytrains-008.jpgWho Likes Trains?-aug-11-14-portolaelytrains-028.jpgWho Likes Trains?-aug-11-14-portolaelytrains-203.jpg
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    You've got my dream job. I've always harbored a desire to work the rails. But I ended up in an office instead. Great stoke!
    It's never too late for a career change! Though from what I understand the job in the US is very different to here. We have had a very good and strong union over the years, and subsequently our conditions are very good. We get five weeks paid leave each year (and six weeks after eight years service), guaranteed to be paid for 80 hours a fortnight, max 12 hour shifts, fixed rosters etc etc. And we don't do point-to-point running, which is one of the biggest turn-offs about the job in the US for me.

Still, it would be a dream for me to drive some of the 20K ton plus monsters over there!

El Gato Malo
    You've got my dream job. I've always harbored a desire to work the rails.
    With you on that Mookie, same here ever since I was a kid.

Rabid Lana fan
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB View Post
    i rode my bike down a railroad bridge (think a smaller version of the one in Stand by me). it was a live rail and bike tires just dont hop over those slats very fast. i dont think i'd do it again. talk about puckering.
    on noes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who Likes Trains?-nikkytrain.jpg  

Last edited by net wurker; 08-22-2014 at 10:20 AM.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

ali'i hua
    just a bit. dad and uncle are complete train geeks, so i am by default. my uncle has the live steamer and we go up to Atascadero, ca to run every once in a while on the bitter creek western.

also, we've ridden most of the live steam west of the Mississippi, and have even rented one of the private cars on the back of the Durango & Silverton.

our offroading/jeep in the Rockies has all been train related, chasing the odd, old rail beds out of Silverton towards the mines.

I did a ton of HO modeling as a kid, and still have it all....somewhere.

Uncle's "uncle sam" in the steaming bays:
    Who Likes Trains?-img_0970.jpg

a bunch of C-16's
    Who Likes Trains?-img_1055.jpg

Uncle at the helm with my cousin, her kid, my wife and my kid.
    Who Likes Trains?-img_1102.jpg

I didn't do it
    It's never too late for a career change! Though from what I understand the job in the US is very different to here. We have had a very good and strong union over the years, and subsequently our conditions are very good. We get five weeks paid leave each year (and six weeks after eight years service), guaranteed to be paid for 80 hours a fortnight, max 12 hour shifts, fixed rosters etc etc. And we don't do point-to-point running, which is one of the biggest turn-offs about the job in the US for me.

Still, it would be a dream for me to drive some of the 20K ton plus monsters over there!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishful Tomcat View Post
    With you on that Mookie, same here ever since I was a kid.
    Funny thing is a few years ago I was looking into what it would take to get a railroad job. I was just goofing off, just looking out of curiosity. It seemed like it would have taken a bit longer than I would have liked to actually start drivin'. But to be honest, if I could have figured this out when I was maybe a few years out of high school, I could see it happening. I would have no problems working my way up the ranks. The problem was, in high school I had things on my mind other than career choices.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

T.W.O.
    Love trains, hate rails. Love the ship and scare sh!tless of the big Oceans.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB View Post
    I used to love riding the RR access roads. Here in San Diego, I could ride through Sorrento Gorge and connect Los Penasquitos preserve and Del Mar Mesa with the trails that were up on Miramar air base, Rose Canyon and San Clemente canyon.

Now, the Miramar trails are gone....replaced by the newest national cemetery, Del Mar Mesa has been shut down, and ever since 9/11 the RR has contracted with the SD county Sheriff Dept. to patrol their right-of-ways.
    Those were the Good Old Days.

the half breed devil
    ehhh...just realized that i posted that norfolk southern peavine vid already. but i can watch that over and over again.

here's another one of my favorites...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/P7_a41lR8pA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Funny thing is a few years ago I was looking into what it would take to get a railroad job. I was just goofing off, just looking out of curiosity. It seemed like it would have taken a bit longer than I would have liked to actually start drivin'. But to be honest, if I could have figured this out when I was maybe a few years out of high school, I could see it happening. I would have no problems working my way up the ranks. The problem was, in high school I had things on my mind other than career choices.
    Yeah from what I believe, seniority is everything over there, who gets to work at the best depots, work the best jobs, or work at all if the economy tapers off. As I understand they can put you on 'furlough' and you don't get paid, you just have to wait until they need you again...

Over here our trains are single manned (driver only), and you can get straight into a drivers job off the street, though usually only at the bigger (less desirable) depots.

I didn't do it
    Yeah from what I believe, seniority is everything over there, who gets to work at the best depots, work the best jobs, or work at all if the economy tapers off. As I understand they can put you on 'furlough' and you don't get paid, you just have to wait until they need you again...

Over here our trains are single manned (driver only), and you can get straight into a drivers job off the street, though usually only at the bigger (less desirable) depots.
    Yeah, from what I gathered it's straight seniority here. Dang, I like your system!!
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

~ B A D A S S ~
    I used to like trains but now I'm starting to hate them. Last trip I had to sit behind an indian couple (from india) and their noisy mf-ing, could never ever be quiet kid, that they had absolutely no control over whatsoever. I just wanted to stand up and smack him in the face, and tell him now you stfu for the duration. Or the parents, or both. Yeah that was a real test. Most other passengers actually left the cart because they had enough. It was on that level. Oh yeah to make the kid be quiet for like 10 minutes the parents gave him some kind of game, and it was even louder, so for at least 4h it was the mf-ing kid AND his way too loud mf-ing game console.

So now I fuking hate trains, and almost everything that goes inside them. There, I said it.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Bubbles loves trains!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JUHCvHsCMI

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3JUHCvHsCMI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

the half breed devil
    now if you are a REAL train geek here in the states...i'm listening to the donner pass stream more than i listen to music lately: RailroadRadio.net

Maaaaan
    I've been redoing the East side of Donner Pass for our train simulator.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar View Post
    I've been redoing the East side of Donner Pass for our train simulator.
    well now. you ought to record clips from dispatcher seventy four and the train crews off of that stream.

you can hear two detectors from the east side--221.7 and 229. 229 doesn't come in very often. lots of chatter from the sparks yard as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Oh my! F.R.N.s----- I have almost ran over at least a dozen of you nerds hanging out on bridges trying to get pictures of coal trains! You guys really need to get back on your bikes before you become road kill! Just kidding i have almost 40 years for the old U.P. and im about to retire and i can honestly say I love my job! F.R.N.s by the way our what we in the rr industry call f***ing railroad nuts!

El Gato Malo
    Wow!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Yja2VmZOfdA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The White Jeff W
    Cool! ^^^

I applied for a conductors job with Norfolk Southern back in the fall and actually got invited to one of their recruiting sessions but wasn't able to be there that day. I live close to the big train yard in Conway PA.
    No moss...

Maaaaan
    That CN train has been popular this morning. Someone posted the link to that on another forum I go to as well.

Jon
    Feb 2014
    My family has a external braced Rock Island caboose. Trains kinda run in the family.

****** to the dirt
    I think someone just made a baby in this video.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    I think someone just made a baby in this video.

I'm just glad he didn't run out onto the tracks and try to hump one of those locomotives. Somebody hold that guy back!
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

I didn't do it
    Wow!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Yja2VmZOfdA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    I've seen a few of these videos of trains plowing through snow and I love every second. That's cool stuff.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member
    Here's a safety video about old people, level crossings, high viz jackets and trains

the half breed devil
    I'm just glad he didn't run out onto the tracks and try to hump one of those locomotives. Somebody hold that guy back!
    i always thought that the BL-2 was one of the ugliest locomotives ever built.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    It probably at least has a nice personality though.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

Hell Track
    My neighbor is a train enthusiast. He just rode the amtrack from SF to Denver then flew back the next day. I think it's a cool hobby. a beautiful way to travel.

Maaaaan
    Yeah me too.
    I wonder if that BL-2 used to belong to the Bangor and Aroostook?

Later that day... It turns out the Saratoga and North Creek BL-2 #52 did belong to the B and A. The Bangor and Aroostook bought it new from EMD.

Maaaaan
    Here I am driving a S.P. GE C44-9W on Donner Pass at Stanford's Curve in my simulator.

Who Likes Trains?-renametest.jpg

El Gato Malo
    Here I am driving a S.P. GE C44-9W on Donner Pass at Stanford's Curve in my simulator.

Name:	RenameTest.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	962248
    You have a train simulator at home or is this at work, either way cool!

the half breed devil
    one of my better shots taken at franklin canyon:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who Likes Trains?-3286376010_6fb32996c2_o.jpg  

Maaaaan
    You have a train simulator at home or is this at work, either way cool!

At home. I'm actually redoing the scenery in this spot. It was all rock faces when in fact it's pine forest and embankments.

Maaaaan
    one of my better shots taken at franklin canyon:
    Holy Cow! That looks so much like the east end of Niles canyon in Ca.

the half breed devil
    Holy Cow! That looks so much like the east end of Niles canyon in Ca.
    i've only been over to niles canyon once. we just got a glimpse of the tail end of an autorack. have you been to franklin canon before?

Franklin Canyon

Maaaaan
    i've only been over to niles canyon once. we just got a glimpse of the tail end of an autorack. have you been to franklin canon before?

Franklin Canyon
    No haven't been there.
    I followed the link and yeah, it looks remarkably like the East Bay area in general, not just Niles.
    I think I'd feel right at home around Franklin Canyon.

the half breed devil
    No haven't been there.
    I followed the link and yeah, it looks remarkably like the East Bay area in general, not just Niles.
    I think I'd feel right at home around Franklin Canyon.
    make sure you bring a scanner or get a scanner app for your phone. that shot i got of the geeps was the ONLY shot i got in three or four hours.

Maaaaan
    This is very cool. Norfolk Southern rebuilt this SD40.

NS unveils Southern heritage SD40 | Trains Magazine

the half breed devil
    This is very cool. Norfolk Southern rebuilt this SD40.

NS unveils Southern heritage SD40 | Trains Magazine

the N&W was always one of my favorite roads. the trains were fast, they were black (mostly coal) and the horns were always the best! they were all about the long hood forward thing, too.

mtbr member
    Ugh, we had to run back to town (~2 hours) long-hood leading a couple of months ago due to a broken buffer while shunting at a log yard. Might be interesting to see, but it sure ain't comfortable!

the half breed devil
    here's a place i've never been:

Magically Delicious
    Who Likes Trains?-img_4279.jpg

Who Likes Trains?-img_4324.jpg

Who Likes Trains?-img_4487.jpg

Who Likes Trains?-img_4523-001.jpg
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Maaaaan
    Nice Vid of William's Loop.

Nice high speed train pics. What train and where?

Magically Delicious
    Nice high speed train pics. What train and where?
    Those are departing Milan , Italy to Brig, Switzerland

Who Likes Trains?-img_4488.jpg

Who Likes Trains?-img_4515.jpg

Magically Delicious
    Who Likes Trains?-img_4098.jpg

Who Likes Trains?-img_4120.jpg

Who Likes Trains?-img_4136.jpg

Who Likes Trains?-img_4275.jpg

Maaaaan
    This was pretty cool.

Maaaaan
    Ugh, we had to run back to town (~2 hours) long-hood leading a couple of months ago due to a broken buffer while shunting at a log yard. Might be interesting to see, but it sure ain't comfortable!
    Those Southern and Norfolk and Western units had dual controls in the cab, one stand for each direction, but I'd still feel half blind with all that metal blocking my view.

mtbr member
    Certainly some cool footage in that clip! I think as drones get a bit more popular and people start getting creative with them we could see some excellent shots of both bikes and trains.

Dual controls sound interesting, apparently we did have one experimental loco set up with it many years ago, but it still doesn't stop the fumes or the uncomfortable riding over rough track.

Maaaaan
    A pic I got today near Kingman. Shiny new locos!

Who Likes Trains?-shinyones-1280x960-.jpg

Someone else took a pic of the same train 60 miles farther west this afternoon.

RailPictures.Net Photo: BNSF 7995 BNSF Railway GE ES44C4 at Topock, Arizona by Matthew Griffin

Maaaaan
    My first train video today, so excuse the fidgeting at the beginning.

Magically Delicious

A flavor of Europe

Who Likes Trains?-img_4691.jpg

Who Likes Trains?-img_4692.jpg

Who Likes Trains?-img_4693.jpg

Who Likes Trains?-img_4785.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

the half breed devil
    check out the GYRA-LITE...i didn't know that any class 1's were still using them.

they used to be a fixture on SP trains.

the half breed devil
    MTBR won't let me post two vids to a post, so here's an SP train in 1985 with a gyra-lite. what year did ditch lights become the law/norm?

Maaaaan
    Here's an article on ditch lights.
    I think a Gyra Light is a lot better indication that a train is coming rather than something else....

Ditch Lights

the half breed devil
    Here's an article on ditch lights.
    I think a Gyra Light is a lot better indication that a train is coming rather than something else....

Ditch Lights
    where i grew up, the chessie and norfolk & western didn't use gyras unless my memory fails.

however, i have fond memories of being a passenger in vehicles driven along the 80 between SF and sacramento...and over the donner pass seeing the gyras of SP on trains using the roseville sub. they're especially cool to see on really dark nights.

I HATE trains.
    I live close to one that wakes me up every night. Did I mention I HATE trains.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I HATE trains.
    I live close to one that wakes me up every night. Did I mention I HATE trains.

Yep thats what wakes me up every night. So please tell me what the big thrill is about trains. They're loud ugly, stinky obnoxious beasts that have ZERO appeal to me. Even aa a kid they did nothing for me.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

the half breed devil
    Yep thats what wakes me up every night. So please tell me what the big thrill is about trains. There loud ugly, stinky obnoxious beasts that have ZERO appeal to me. Even aa a kid they did nothing for me.
    in YOUR opinion. my opinion differs from yours on this subject.

is that OK?

in YOUR opinion. my opinion differs from yours on this subject.

is that OK?
    Of course Shek sorry man. I guess I'm just soured on them because I've lived near so many freight trains. I can see the appeal of a passenger train going through the Alps,, sure! Or the fascinating history of trains and the newer technology going into todays trains.

Sorry I'll stick my head in another thread and see who else I can piss off.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

the half breed devil
    Of course Shek sorry man. I guess I'm just soured on them because I've lived near so many freight trains. I could see the appeal of a passenger train going through the Apls, sure! Or the fascinating history of trains and the newer technology going into todays trains.

Sorry I'll stick my head in another thread and see who else I can piss off.
    love and respect, DJ.

love and respect, DJ.
    Back at ya brother. Sorry I've been irritable lately because of being cooped up with my injuries.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Maaaaan
    DJ doesn't like this... He's evil...

Lol
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Binned
    Nov 2008
    I like trains and I also like turtles.

the half breed devil
    Lol
    riding the train cross country while staying boozed up the whole way was one of the most fun experiences i've ever had.

give it a try when you've got some time to spare.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    riding the train cross country while staying boozed up the whole way was one of the most fun experiences i've ever had.

I have to agree that riding a train is fun. I used to take Amtrak from So Cal to Cen Cal every Summer in my youth.

Shek yes I think riding a passenger train across the country would be a good time.

Its the living next to a freight train that drives me bonkers. Like right now I was just falling asleep and here comes the long train horn at 11:30 pm.
    Now I'm wide awake. Arg!
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I like trains and I also like turtles.
    And cats...

Magically Delicious

Doing the wild thing on a night train is something different. Did an overnighter from Bern, Switzerland to Copenhagen, Denmark and from Copenhagen to Amsterdam. Full sleeper compartment with beds. Pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Doing the wild thing on a night train is something different. Did an overnighter from Bern, Switzerland to Copenhagen, Denmark and from Copenhagen to Amsterdam. Full sleeper compartment with beds. Pretty cool.
    A solo mission or a partner?
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Magically Delicious
    A solo mission or a partner?
    Good one DJ. With OPPOSITE sex partner...not Rosie.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Good one DJ. With OPPOSITE sex partner...not Rosie.
    Well that was a relief, not that there is anything wrong with it.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Maaaaan
    Still no delete.
    Last edited by Ericmopar; 03-29-2015 at 01:32 AM. Reason: delete

the half breed devil
    i'll bet these guys don't like trains:

i'll bet these guys don't like trains:

Some great planning there.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

A waste of time it is is
    DJ, they were much earlier than expected. The moto riders help up the main peleton and the guys delayed were able to rejoin. Does anyone know if those that rode through the gates got DQ'd?

Maaaaan
    Some old engines here. Two are Warbonnets, one BNSF and the other still in Santa Fe livery. There's even a yellow bonnet back there.
    I just took this on April 29-15, at Daggett Ca.

Who Likes Trains?-img_0555-1280x720-.jpg

the half breed devil
    Some old engines here. Two are Warbonnets, one BNSF and the other still in Santa Fe livery. There's even a yellow bonnet back there.
    I just took this on April 29-15, at Daggett Ca.

Name:	IMG_0555 (1280x720).jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	985017
    two places i need to get to: the cajon pass and the feather river route.

i've already made three or maybe even five trips to the tehachapi loop area.

mtbr member
    Sheesh, they're "old engines"?! I'd love some like that, this is what our old stuff looks like, thankfully not many left in this sort of state...

Who Likes Trains?-dbr1.jpg

Who Likes Trains?-dbr2.jpg

And here's a pic I snapped a couple of weeks ago, heading south with a full load of logs and wood chips in one of our newly rebuild GE U26C's,

Who Likes Trains?-125.jpg

Maaaaan
    What a "trip" I was just reading an article in a Trains magazine back issue about Kiwi Rail.
    You guys have apparently been really screwed by private owners, and the Government had to take back ownership.
    I take it from the articles, that Kiwi was really run into the ground by profit mongers.

mtbr member
    That's basically it in a nutshell.

The right-wing government of the 90's sold us to a private consortium (of which our current right-wing Prime Minister was a shareholder....) who asset-stripped and mis-managed the company to the point of bankruptcy. I wasn't employed there at the time (still in high school!) but apparently it was so bad the guys couldn't even get new work boots as the company hadn't paid their account with the suppliers was so far in debt. They sold everything they could, and plenty they couldn't. Good wagons were scrapped, one particular class of locomotive were sold to another US-based crowd then leased back, etc etc. Then we were bought by an Australian firm who were really only in it for the trucking side of the business. They sold the track/infrastructure back to the then-left-wing government for $1 (because it was basically a huge liability after being neglected for so many years) which at least gave Toll a chance at making money with it, but instead they shifted a lot of the smaller volume freight onto the trucks, and eventually sold the rail operations side of the business back to the left-wing-government of the day in 2008 (for a hugely over-inflated price too). Now seven years later, we've been under the right-wing government for about 7 years, and just as we're starting to get somewhere (catching up on two decades of deferred maintenance, buying new locos and rolling stock, competing for new business) the purse-strings have been tightened and we're back in slash-and-burn mode to try make ends meet so the government and management can pretend that the company is successful and profitable....

Not sure if that's how the Trains article put it, but close enough! I work on the NAL (North Auckland Line), I wouldn't be surprised if they mentioned that as being likely to be shut down, or likely to become the next big thing when it's extended to Marsden Point port, or both.

The White Jeff W
    Who Likes Trains?-bridge.jpg

[/IMG]
    No moss...

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05...58ae70dc54.jpg

" width="549">
    location?

The White Jeff W
    The bridge crosses the Ohio River at Beaver, PA. The trains are at the south end of the big train yard at Conway, PA. I walked up on the overpass to get a shot of the two on the right sitting side by side but the one on the far right set off before I could get the shot. Then the one on the left came under me.

Here's a picture with the bridge in the background. Its pretty spectacular in person.

Who Likes Trains?-inbred-bridge-1024x768-.jpg
    No moss...

the half breed devil
    since this is a "who likes trains" thread, i'm taking the liberty of posting a few more of my favorite shots from previous railfanning trips. i don't get to the trains often as there is only one freight train a day in san francisco and the newly revived northwest pacific railroad is beyond the reach of how far i want to pedal.

the first shot is a UP mixed freight with a LOT of power headed west out of tunnel 36 at yuba gap on the donner pass.

second photo is the UP south city switcher headed into the dirty dirt yard in san francisco--san francisco's last daily freight train. this train also serves a tallow company and i believe a frozen food facility in san francisco's bayview neighborhood.

next, two grain trains meet at colfax station during a rare snowy day in the upper sierra foothills.

sign on a loram railgrinder train stopped at gold run, ca.

finally, a UP autorack train heads west at one of my favorite train watching spots on casa loma road, about three miles southeast of alta, ca.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who Likes Trains?-5626933428_05f906bbc9_o.jpg  

Who Likes Trains?-dscf2020.jpg  

Who Likes Trains?-dscf2155.jpg  

Who Likes Trains?-dscf2324_2.jpg  

Who Likes Trains?-img_8585.jpg  

Last edited by shekky; 05-04-2015 at 08:52 PM.

The White Jeff W
    Nice!
    No moss...

Jon
    Feb 2014
    I live near Chicago and always love to watch the draw bridges operate. Many of them have been replaced but the one off of 55 by Cicero ave. and north avenue were always my favorites. I have been collecting N scale since the mid 70s and finally the technology has caught up to create some impressive steam engines. I used to work in the IC Glen Yard as a teen then I worked for a railcar repair shop welding and rebuilding tank, hopper and box cars. I wish I would had been able to stay with it but my health would not allow it. Right now the family is restoring a Rock Island external braced wood caboose. We have owned it since 1980 but the years have taken it's toll so I am milling new car siding from maple to rebuild it. I grew up going to railway museums with my dad and brother and it is some of the greatest times I can remember. Someday I would like to ride the Daylight Express and the Alaskan railway.

mtbr member
    Great pics, love those big old steel bridges! I was blown away by the sheer size and scale of [freight] railroads in the US, big locos, big trains, big everything. I'd be trying to get a job there in a heartbeat, if the working conditions weren't so poor compared to here!

Maaaaan
    Looks like Jeff experienced major "Meetgasm".
    Nice pics Shekky. I get homesick looking at California railroading especially around the Sierras and Bay Area.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2