mtbr member

Who has "rooted" their android phone?

There's lots of info on how to do it, but I'm curious about how you like it. How has your phone changed? Any problems? Can you revert back if you need warranty service? etc.

I'm thinking of doing it so I can use an app that dedicates SD memory to behave like internal memory. Also interested in free hotspot ability, and getting rid of a bunch of apps that I don't use but can't be deleted.

more carbon=more awesome
    You can bet that if Tones has one he's tried to root it.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

duh
    How old is your phone? Yes rooting does void the warranty, if something is wrong with your phone you may not be able to unroot it, if your phone is more then a year old your warranty is up any ways. You will also not get any updates like the new kitkat.

What phone do you have?

and here is some info

The risks of rooting your Android phone ? BullGuard
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

mtbr member
    I have a new LG optimus F6. I read great reviews on it, with the one downside being low internal memory. I thought that would be no problem and I could make it up with a big SD card.
    But, the first time a tried to download a rented movie, I didn't have room for it, and downloading to SD was not an option!

So the memory is a serious drawback that could be fixed by rooting. I know there is a way to dedicate SD memory to act as internal memory on rooted phones.

Plus, just the general idea of having control of your phone and your apps is appealing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    I have read about some risks which is why I'm asking the question here. I'm curious if people have actually had security problems, viruses etc after rooting or is that problem overstated.

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I have read about some risks which is why I'm asking the question here. I'm curious if people have actually had security problems, viruses etc after rooting or is that problem overstated.
    that would depend on the developer that you are getting the rooted operating system from.

High Desert MTBer
    I've heard about phone sex, but this is ridiculous!
    It's all Here. Now.

Flaccid Member
    I rooted my Galaxy S2 numerous times, from Gingerbread, Ice cream, on up to versions of Jelly Bean. Get Super Mod and Clockwork Mod as well as Titanium Back up apps first before attempting to root. Tons of stuff on XDA developer if you are a smart phone geek. Otherwise, look up High on Android for more info.

Titanium Backup allows you to freeze any app you'd like, including carrier bloatware that sucks down your battery life something awful.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    that would depend on the developer that you are getting the rooted operating system from.
    But rooting doesn't necessarily mean you are changing the operating system, correct? I have no problem with the Android (4.1 I think), I just want options not currently available due to the security set up.

mtbr member
    Yes, it is pretty easy and will allow you to move many apps to the SD card. While it does void your warranty, you can also "restore and unroot" to put it back under warranty.

It's a shame Cyanogenmod doesn't currently support this phone

[Root/Unlock] LG Optimus F6 T-Mobile - xda-developers
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    After you root your phone does it still work the same? I mean does the UI change at all, or does everything stay intact until you start using your superpowers to modify things?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Yes, it is pretty easy and will allow you to move many apps to the SD card. While it does void your warranty, you can also "restore and unroot" to put it back under warranty.

It's a shame Cyanogenmod doesn't currently support this phone

[Root/Unlock] LG Optimus F6 T-Mobile - xda-developers
    Thanks for the link. The link shows how to root, and how to unlock. I thought they were synonymous. What is the difference?

Front Range, Colorado
    I tried rooting many thing's and none came out successful. I'm Leary of rooting my cell phone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who has "rooted" their android phone?-image.jpg  

--------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

duh
    Thanks for the link. The link shows how to root, and how to unlock. I thought they were synonymous. What is the difference?
    Unlocking a phone just means you can put other carriers sim cards in them, most carriers will have the phones locked to their service . Rooting changes the os

mtbr member
    Rooting changes the os
    To what? I would no longer be running Android 4.1?

mtbr member

Re: Who has "rooted" their android phone?

Rooting doesn't change the OS. Rooting just gives you access to areas of the phone you would otherwise not have access.

Rooting consists of a few steps. First you install a custom recovery ie clockworkmod or TWRP. Different phones do better with different recoveries. You then use the recovery to add a program that gives you super user permissions ie supersu. This is what makes you "rooted" meaning you have full acess to your phone.

Rooting does make your phone less secure, but if you only install apps from trusted sources you will most likely be fine. I have never had an issue

You can run rooted in the stock ROM (OS). Install custom kernels (which tweak basic settings of the phone like overclocking), or install custom ROMs (which are tweaked OSs)

I am rooted running a custom kernel. This is so I can overclock my phone, run a hotspot, and use link2sd to overcome low internal storage, and have direct access to the file system allowing me to put music where I want and get rid of boat.

It took some time to get set up but I can't imagine going back now. If you back up everything first (making a full system copy of your phone using you custom recovery) it is pretty rare to totally brick a device.
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon XP

Perpetual n00b

Re: Who has "rooted" their android phone?

To root is to unlock the OS on your phone. Meaning you can make changes to parts of the file system that were previously inaccessible for security reasons. Rooting allows you to add or remove functionality beyond what the manufacturer intended.
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

Flaccid Member
    Once you've rooted your phone, and tweaked it or adjusted it to your liking, you'll have the hardest time ever going back to an unrooted phone. The big Carriers have really messed up a good thing from Google Android and Samsung. I don't think I could ever go back, I like how fast and smooth my S4 is without a ton of battery sucking bloatware always hogging memory and battery life, that is running silently in the backround. So I bought Titanium Backup, and I "freeze" the apps/bloatware by my carrier that suck up battery life. I can always go in there and unfreeze them, I can always unroot too, to get the next update, like Kitkat, that has been screwed up for a month now by AT&T after they tried to tweak it for their branded phones.

Nowadays, I see these devices as micro computers, that just happen to have a phone feature too, as an add on option.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB