Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

What was your biggest cash and carry?

About 3 years ago I wanted to purchase $5,000 worth of U.S. Treasury I-bonds in paper form. At the time I belonged to a small credit union that didn't participate in the Treasury's bond program. That meant I had to purchase the bonds from another financial institution as a non-member ... which meant cash only. To make matters more difficult, my credit union did not dispense cash from the branch teller's tills.

To solve the problem, I had to get my credit union to temporarily increase my MAC daily withdraw limit to $5,000 for a window of 4 hours. The limit of $500 cash in one transaction was still enforced by the MAC machine, so I had perform the entire transaction 10 times to get all of the money out. I brought a brown paper lunch bag to stuff the money into because as everyone knows MAC machines only dispense in $20 bills. I'll save you the math ... that's 250 $20 bills. It's a wad of bills about 3" (7cm) thick without compressing.

I stood there for about 15 minutes ... though it felt like an hour ... constantly looking over my shoulder and getting more nervous with each fist full of cash going into the bag. It did make me feel like a gangster for a while ... especially with the signature brown paper bag. I walked into the bank carrying the same brown paper bag ... and thankfully nobody panicked.

So what was your biggest cash and carry amount? Checks, credit, money order, or other funny money doesn't count - it's gotta be hard cash and/or coin only.

check your six
    I sold a Bronco 2 in Guam when I was getting ready to change duty stations. I had done a lot of work to it and asked $9K. I was offered $8K CASH and I didn't even hesitate. The guy brought his dad over to my house with a massive wad of $50. I counted them, shook hands and off they went. I immediately went inside and had to toss the stack in the air. I'd most likely not get that change again. So, I made it rain in my living room and picked it all up with a big smile.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    There's something diabolically fun about holding a bid ol' wad of cash, isn't there?

High Desert MTBer
    Got paid for a show in Belorussia once and part of the fee was in Roubles. 17 million to be exact. That is a BIG wad of cash. Useless outside the country, at the time only worth about 14 grand in our money, so we tried to spend it all before leaving. That is very difficult. I bought champagne for everyone at the club we went to after the show, then bought food for all that wanted it in the club, still had about 8 million left. And it was a busy club! Went to the local market with the rest the next morning and bought a buttload of caviar which we stashed in the gear to get it out of the country... You'd be amazed how quickly you can get fed up with caviar...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Biggest cash purchase was a sweet '73 Corvette about 10 years ago for 28k. The guy had a little trouble with the tax man and would take only money.

mtbr member

I am a Diesel engine mechanic. I used to do a lot of cash side work. Whenever I got paid, I would give my wife a wad of cash and tell to use it for groceries.

Fast forward a couple years. My wife's car was taking a dump and we decided to trade it in. She searched the webs and found the car she wanted, for the money she wanted to pay. It was her project, I had nothing to do with it.
    We went down to the dealership and played the normal games. When it came to the financing officer, my wife pulled this enormous wad of cash out of her purse. My eyes absolutely bugged out. I was like WTF?
    She had saved every penny I gave her from doing side work. She paid the entire cost of her new car, a little over $25K in cash.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

official eMpTyBRain
    ^ Gnarly!!! ^

Since I never pay for anything with cash, I guess I have nothing interesting to offer here unless I can post a "debit card and carry" reply.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member

Re: What was your biggest cash and carry?

5 Grand on my Trek Remedy. That was cool.
    There were some much larger "cash transactions" in my younger years. Let's say during the "Tony Montana" era and leave it at that.

Ride More, Whine Less

I sold my house and was given a $40,000 check at closing. I promptly took it to my bank. When the teller asked what I wanted to do with it, I said I would take it in $10s and $20s. She nearly passed out. After a moment of sincere silence, I said just deposit it. I really wanted to see what the money looked like in bills.

Front Range, Colorado
    I paid cash for two vehicles all within a week of eachother. The first purchase was a new 2006' special order Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4 quad cab. They cut me a better deal due to cash. But it was also a maxed out loaded ride. In the end I handed over $34 K. in cash.

My next purchase was for my girl friend a week later. We were looking at Lexus 330 sport utility's at the dealership. Not finding what
    we wanted for the price, we were leaving when,a
    couple pulled up in front of the dealership. It was at 9:00 pm and the dealership had just closed. As we were walking past my GF commented on the
    beautiful dark grey gun metal Lexus 330 they were
    driving. We informed them the dealership just
    closed. We also commented that was the exact vehicle that we were looking at. They come back with well we are trading in or selling it. It was only 6 months old with 5000 miles on it. Basically brand new. We asked what they wanted for it. They came back with a # and we negotiated them down to $42K. After looking for that vehicle for a couple weeks we knew what it was worth. Buying slightly used we saved 5K. So we made the deal and made,a plan to meet the next day at our bank. I handed over a cashiers check for $42K.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 06-30-2013 at 08:31 PM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Wow, lots of cash flying around in here.

I wonder if anybody here has ever carried a suitcase/briefcase full of cash like in the movies? Just carrying my bag of $5k cash had me really nervous/cautious. It's not like anybody else knows what you're carrying, but that didn't seem to ease my mind at all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny View Post
    About 3 years ago I wanted to purchase $5,000 worth of U.S. Treasury I-bonds in paper form. At the time I belonged to a small credit union that didn't participate in the Treasury's bond program. That meant I had to purchase the bonds from another financial institution as a non-member ... which meant cash only.
    For me it was pretty similar, except it was silver and gold bars instead of US Treasury bonds. $10,000 in $100 bills, stuffed in an envelope in my briefcase. Walked into the other bank and exchanged those bills for shiny metal bars and walked out of there with a noticeably heavier briefcase.

ragley blue pig x

I walked out the bank with 2, 000, 000 of my employers money that was meant to finalise a deal.... I moved to russia

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mine was $7,900, cash for the truck I bought a few years back. I found it in the local classifieds, and the fellow wanted cash. I felt a little uneasy with that much cash on me until I picked up the truck.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by manbat View Post
    I walked out the bank with 2, 000, 000 of my employers money that was meant to finalise a deal.... I moved to russia

Busted. I can't believe you fell for my MI6 sting operation! Be a good lad and please turn yourself in to the nearest British embassy at your earliest convenience. Thank you and have a good day.

mtbr member
    1ok cash transactions require filling out forms for the IRS. So 9k deposits or withdrawals to the bank, or for a car down payment, or to buy some gold coins, etc, is advised, although snoopy bank employees will look for patterns of multiple cash transactions under the 10k threshhold.

I read that somewhere.

ragley blue pig x

Ill be in brazil by the time you find me

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I briefly worked at a big car dealership doing random errands and one of my jobs was making bank deposits.

On one occasion I deposited over $350k in cash and checks. Mostly checks, but still...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I made one transaction with 150k in cash.
    The funny part is that I walked into a gas station where this cute girl worked pulled out a stack, put it back into my pocket, pulled out another stack, said hmm... put that back, then pulled out another and said damn can you break a hundred? I was buying a pack of gum lol. We went out a week later

I also took payment of over $7k in coins. The bank wasnt happy.
    Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

High Desert MTBer
    Another time I got paid for a concert in US dollars in Northern Finland. 350 K in mostly used bills. We then moved on to Sweden and I got paid another approx 200K in Swedish Kroner, so the wad I had was pretty big. It was the weekend, and we were moving on each day so it was a few days before I could deposit it. The insurance company made me take it with me everywhere I went, and keep at least one security guy with me at all times... I was very glad to get to a bank...
    It's all Here. Now.

Trail Prospector
    Far less than many have discussed, yet to me quite exciting was
    going through US customs returning from S.A. with $8k USD stuffed in my pockets..

And yeah cash is king.
    Years ago was told to always keep $1k on hand in case of emergency.
    With today's prevalent power outages, and computer instability, it was very good advice.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by manbat View Post
    Ill be in brazil by the time you find me

Then why did I see you in South Africa
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    When in the Marine Corps, I was given the task of going to Tokyo, to bring cash back to Camp Fuji, to cash checks for all units at Fuji.

One officer, one driver and myself, were inside this totally white room, that had 3.9 million $, sitting on a white table. It was stacked and sealed inside clear wrapping.

Japanese banker, counted out 1.9 million, put it in our stainless steel box type briefcase. We all signed for it, and I carried it to our Hummer. Locked and loaded, we returned to Fuji, and stood guard over the money, until it was dispensed to all servicemen cashing paychecks.

Signed for the remainder cash, and returned it to Tokyo. Returned about $235,000.

ragley blue pig x

Its all smoke and mirrors mucker, a technique I perfected along with delegation when I worked in the public sector

mtbr member
    $15k to buy a vehicle from an individual. All cash in my pocket. 18 yrs old at the time.

I had to go pick my younger brothers up from the mall en route to buying the car (both the mall and the buyer were not in the best part of town), decided it would be better to keep it on my person, rather than leaving in the car (of course, this was pre-cell phone, so I couldn't just call them to come out). Had to hit the restroom, and as I was in there, 2 thug-looking types came in. I distinctly remember thinking, if they knew I had $15k cash in my pocket, if I would be a dead or severely beaten man right now. Hustled out, got my brothers, and we were out of there, and I felt like people were eyeing me the whole time.

It was just kind of funny how it temporarily caused me to see things differently -- I'm not usually very paranoid about things, and wouldn't have thought twice about a couple gangsta's in the bathroom. But under the conditions, I couldn't get out of there fast enough.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast