Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47
  1. #1
    REALLY?
    Reputation: jeffgothro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,123

    What is a mid-life-crisis? How do you know your having and or had one?

    I've heard the term used loosely my whole life, but have no idea what it is or means (and never asked till now)? So, I was curious, what is it, how do you know you have had one, or in the middle of one?
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

  2. #2
    workin' it Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,950
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    I've heard the term used loosely my whole life, but have no idea what it is or means (and never asked till now)? So, I was curious, what is it, how do you know you have had one, or in the middle of one?
    I have found that for a lot of men it involve having spent so much time building your career that you have foregone all the things that are fun in life and so you are unhealthy and unhappy. So you go overboard with the fun.

    I think it is something that mountain bikers wouldn't have a problem with since our down time is spent doing something really fun, if we have families a lot of time we drag them in and when our kids get older we play with them.

    No need for the sports car to compensate for the balding head, spare tire, high cholesterol and low testosterone inherent in the sedentary professional. No need for the new wife because the old one has gotten so distant from years of being there for someone that isn't. No need to find something fun to do so you can get some respect from your kids that have been ignore for most of their lives.

    Needless to say I have worked with midlife crisis having people in the past. It is a sad spectacle to observe someone that just realized that in pursuit of that career everything else got lost.
    Try this: HTFU

  3. #3
    Suckin wind like a boss
    Reputation: big terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,062
    i think its a matter of perception, witnessed by those not having the crisis, and the individual having said crisis is usually completely oblivious to said crisis taking place.

    that being said...being 45 and acting like you are 20, and can still move, maneuver, and most importantly heal like a 20-year-old... i think that might constitute one.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

  4. #4
    workin' it Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,950
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    that being said...being 45 and acting like you are 20, and can still move, maneuver, and most importantly heal like a 20-year-old... i think that might constitute one.
    sounds like a few mountain bikers I know!
    Try this: HTFU

  5. #5
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,999
    A crisis is when I can't find my beer.

  6. #6
    Suckin wind like a boss
    Reputation: big terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,062
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    sounds like a mountain bikers I know!
    indeed
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

  7. #7
    King of Middle Earth
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    18,511
    Midlife Crisis is a form a depression experienced by middle aged people. Since we are living longer, "middle aged" is a loosely used term. I'm calling it 40s through 50s.

    Commonly described as, but not limited to a moment or moments when you realize that you are no longer physically or mentally capable of doing what you were able to do in your younger years. AKA, getting older... but not necessarily "old" yet.

    I'm definately experiencing midlife crisis, myself.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

  8. #8
    REALLY?
    Reputation: jeffgothro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,123
    Thanks for the replys everyone.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bloodyknee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,044
    From what I've seen, it manifests itself in different ways depending on your personality. If you find yourself, wanting a new car, motorcycle, boat, girl on the side, etc., it's a good sign that you are going through it. Not limited to possessions, it can also be seen with a desire to go on the ultimate guys trip, jumping out of a plane (with a parachute, not without) or learning a new instrument. I think for me it was a realization that I better get moving cause life was going by at a faster pace and I needed to do a few things that I had always wanted to do one day. Well guess what, that day is today and get you ass moving.

    Me? Yeah, I go through it everyday, and look at it as a chance to tick off things on the bucket list and make a change in the world and a name for myself in the circles I found myself in. I'm trying to make a difference for my wife and kids so they can look back at my life and have some positive stuff to leave behind that they can benefit in the future. Otherwise I'd have an affair with a topless dancer and buy a convertible.

  10. #10
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,088
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    I've heard the term used loosely my whole life, but have no idea what it is or means (and never asked till now)? So, I was curious, what is it, how do you know you have had one, or in the middle of one?
    Well, don't diagnose yourself. We are the doctors. Describe your symptoms and we will let you know.



    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    No need for the sports car to compensate for the balding head....
    Why would someone need to compensate for THAT, hmmm?

  11. #11
    Flaccid Member
    Reputation: Boyonadyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,586
    Late midlife crisis is when you do all those things you missed, and some accidents, like broken collar bone, or cracked ribs, or separated shoulder, or in my case, today I found out that over the weekend I had a possible gallbladder obstruction. MRI tomorrow, possible entroscopy the following day. Got my fingers crossed that I get well soon, and back on the bike again, I really miss it. Jaundice sucks.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

  12. #12
    usually cranky
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9,927
    an overweight 51 year old man in a red miata.

  13. #13
    Hmmmmm
    Reputation: Ericmopar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,632
    When you're 48 and chatting up a 30 year old...
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

    Peace and Long Rides...

  14. #14
    REALLY?
    Reputation: jeffgothro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    Well, don't diagnose yourself. We are the doctors. Describe your symptoms and we will let you know.



    Why would someone need to compensate for THAT, hmmm?

    Judging by the symptoms, my whole life is one big crisis.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

  15. #15
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,832
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    A crisis is when I can't find my beer.
    And by mid-life, one should have this figured out.

  16. #16
    workin' it Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,950
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    A crisis is when I can't find my beer.
    That is an every day crisis. I have been having that problem since I was in my teens (Canada)

    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Midlife Crisis is a form a depression experienced by middle aged people. Since we are living longer, "middle aged" is a loosely used term. I'm calling it 40s through 50s.

    Commonly described as, but not limited to a moment or moments when you realize that you are no longer physically or mentally capable of doing what you were able to do in your younger years. AKA, getting older... but not necessarily "old" yet.

    I'm definately experiencing midlife crisis, myself.
    I think you are right about the depression part. I bet most people that have a midlife crisis would be best to spend their money on a therapist to help them come to grips with what is bothering you vs. the car or divorce or whatever. Depression is a pretty serious thing that can't be changed by buying things.

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    Judging by the symptoms, my whole life is one big crisis.
    Best solution is to ride your bike more and maybe tick off one of those healthy things on your bucket list.
    Try this: HTFU

  17. #17
    Is not amused
    Reputation: Hutch3637's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,765
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Midlife Crisis is a form a depression experienced by middle aged people. Since we are living longer, "middle aged" is a loosely used term. I'm calling it 40s through 50s.

    Commonly described as, but not limited to a moment or moments when you realize that you are no longer physically or mentally capable of doing what you were able to do in your younger years. AKA, getting older... but not necessarily "old" yet.

    I'm definately experiencing midlife crisis, myself.
    Just adding to this. For myself, younger the most of you. I myself am at a cross roads in life. Also the term midlife crisis for me at least doesn't come with an age range or buying new outlets. When I EAS'ed out of the military I went through a divorce. This caused me to lose a house, a family, a car, and not going to get into how much money lost but lets just say I might as well file for bankruptcy with all the dept I have. Come home to find a job only to be cut months later. Even with a college degree as well as serving in the military I just can't find a job. It's been a couple months now. Had to move back into my mother's house which is embarrassing on it's own. So for me I'm going through a midlife crisis in my own definition. Am I depressed? No, not at all. I keep doing what I have to do to get everything going in the right direction. Like Rockcrusher said about depression. If your going through a major change in life that is depressing for you and are buying stuff to compensate for it you are doing it wrong. Depression is not something to joke about as I've lost a handful of friends who choose to take their own life because of it. That's my reality check to whom maybe reading this and might be going through a crisis of their own.

  18. #18
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,999
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    And by mid-life, one should have this figured out.


    The senility took care of that.

  19. #19
    REALLY?
    Reputation: jeffgothro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    Just adding to this. For myself, younger the most of you. I myself am at a cross roads in life. Also the term midlife crisis for me at least doesn't come with an age range or buying new outlets. When I EAS'ed out of the military I went through a divorce. This caused me to lose a house, a family, a car, and not going to get into how much money lost but lets just say I might as well file for bankruptcy with all the dept I have. Come home to find a job only to be cut months later. Even with a college degree as well as serving in the military I just can't find a job. It's been a couple months now. Had to move back into my mother's house which is embarrassing on it's own. So for me I'm going through a midlife crisis in my own definition. Am I depressed? No, not at all. I keep doing what I have to do to get everything going in the right direction. Like Rockcrusher said about depression. If your going through a major change in life that is depressing for you and are buying stuff to compensate for it you are doing it wrong. Depression is not something to joke about as I've lost a handful of friends who choose to take their own life because of it. That's my reality check to whom maybe reading this and might be going through a crisis of their own.
    Hope things get better for you. I'm legally disabled myself, I was diagnosed 30 years ago as manic depressive, and 12 years ago with A.D.D., so I'm well aware of the pit-falls and mind-set of depression. About the only thing thats ever really helped me, or saved my life (yes, I've had serveral suicide attempts) is smoking weed. When I get high, it helps me to accept whatever it is thats bothering me - I'm able to look at the situation thats bothing me and say, "its ok, its really not a big deal", the situation no longer "gets me down" after a few good puffs. I'm also able to think more clearly, and come up with creative solutions to my problem.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

  20. #20
    Is not amused
    Reputation: Hutch3637's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,765
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    Hope things get better for you. I'm legally disabled myself, I was diagnosed 30 years ago as manic depressive, and 12 years ago with A.D.D., so I'm well aware of the pit-falls and mind-set of depression. About the only thing thats ever really helped me, or saved my life (yes, I've had serveral suicide attempts) is smoking weed. When I get high, it helps me to accept whatever it is thats bothering me - I'm able to look at the situation thats bothing me and say, "its ok, its really not a big deal", the situation no longer "gets me down" after a few good puffs. I'm also able to think more clearly, and come up with creative solutions to my problem.
    Thanks I appreciate it. Just trying to help you or whomever else needs help.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    727
    Pure and simple, a mid-life crisis is man's realization that he he will Inevitalbly die and how poorly he deals with it. Emphasis on the "poorly he deals with it". Around the same time, he realizes that younger women no longer find him unattractive. Egos get crushed, expensive countermeasures are purchased. Balding ensues. Eventually he comes to terms with it, and life goes on. Welcome to the real world.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,537
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Midlife Crisis is a form a depression experienced by middle aged people. Since we are living longer, "middle aged" is a loosely used term. I'm calling it 40s through 50s.

    Commonly described as, but not limited to a moment or moments when you realize that you are no longer physically or mentally capable of doing what you were able to do in your younger years. AKA, getting older... but not necessarily "old" yet.

    I'm definately experiencing midlife crisis, myself.
    I am, too.

    I'm 37 and it's all setting in early. We can't have children, I'm starting to get angry about my job, and the debt I once cleared is back. If it wasn't for MTB'ing, I don't know how I would deal.

    I don't want a sports car, a new wife, or anything else fancy. Just some peace of mind would be nice.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Crankout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar View Post
    When you're 48 and chatting up a 30 year old...
    In part, I would say yes.

    To add to this, if'n you are married, 48 and with children, it becomes what they call a condundrum.

    So is a MLC the following?:
    Wanting to b*ng ladies in their 20's, itching for the BMW Z4, things of this nature. Wait, those things are perfectly normal for any healthy male. When these things interfere with one's daily life, then they become problematic.

    So, aside from the sweet hook-ups with the younger set, buying a kick azz car and having fun are not problematic. Shoot, we have more cash at this age so why not spend it? You can't bring it to the great beyond so have fun while you can. Nothing wrong with that. In 20 years, your body will be failing a bit more, you may be diseased, or what have you...live it up.
    Get me the knuckles of Frisco..

  24. #24
    Suckin wind like a boss
    Reputation: big terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,062
    How any man could NOT want to bang a 20-something is beyond me. Hefner got it right.

    and the hell with a z4, i couldnt even fit in one of them. id rather have a 5-series.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: IntensevCare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    192
    Maybe its not a mid life crisis, its just you know what you want and can afford it. I will probably want a 25 year old hottie and a sports car till I die, although I will never afford either.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •