Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    official eMpTyBRain

New question here. What kind of car/truck should deke505 get?

Sadly, deke's Jeep was totaled in an accident. He's now in the market for something new (or used) to replace it. It must be able to tow/haul a lot.

What should he get?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Ride More, Whine Less

What kind of car/truck should deke505 get?

A silverado

Great for bikes
    What kind of car/truck should deke505 get?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1404522231.862463.jpg

And towing in deep snow

What kind of car/truck should deke505 get?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1404522324.622314.jpg

O.C.C. member
    Diesel Power!

Prime
    I agree with heyyall, it should be a Silverado.

pin it
    Jeep
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

official eMpTyBRain
    It's settled then...

Deke's getting a Chevy Silver-ay-doe.

High Desert MTBer
    A nice little Prius
    It's all Here. Now.

Front Range, Colorado
    There's a lot of good vehicles out there that meet those requirements. But few go a step further with dependability.

I have an 06' Toyota Tacoma SR5 Sport 4x4 quad cab short bed. It hails everything needed for outdoor adventure with good gas milage and,4x4 to take you anywhere. I bought it new in 06' and it now has,110,000 miles on it. The only things having mechanically done are maintenance items.

One brake job
    2 batteries
    1 replacement set of tires
    1 alignment
    Oil changes

And it still runs and drives like the day it left the showroom. When I finally do decide to trade it in I'm trading it for a new one just like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What kind of car/truck should deke505 get?-image.jpg  

What kind of car/truck should deke505 get?-image.jpg  

What kind of car/truck should deke505 get?-image.jpg  

Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:28 PM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

Ride More, Whine Less

What kind of car/truck should deke505 get?

^ seems like a good truck. A few miles on it but for the money, it might be tough to beat.

Prime
    I had the same truck, but with cloth. 11-14 mpg, but it would pull my 25 ft Jayco at 85mph with out even working hard.

official eMpTyBRain
    Are you OK with replacing motors and trannys when they fail because that is pretty high up there in KMs. And, it's RED.

Front Range, Colorado
    Deke what do you plan on hauling on a regular basis.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

O.C.C. member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Deke what do you plan on hauling on a regular basis.
    Hopefully Deke plans on haulin' ass

official eMpTyBRain
    ^Yes, pretty close to that Cornfield. He converted a trailer into a mobile whore house. Life is good in Canada.

I build my own.
    Chev Astro or Safari. Fits 5 bikes and 5 people INSIDE the vehicle. (Nobody steals your bikes when you stop at Timmie's on the way to Short Hills) Fits 8 bikes and 8 people if you put the bikes on racks outside. Comes in all-wheel drive. 4.3 litre V6 Vortec has tons of power for towing and gets very good gas mileage. It's the only minivan built on a truck frame (it's basically a S10 or Sonoma). It's the only minivan that you can stand a downhill bike up inside it. Used ones are about a dime a dozen. Parts are everywhere.

It's a minivan so no one asks you to help them move, because you don't own a truck. Cops don't bat an eye. You can sleep in it. They look very cool tricked out.

What kind of car/truck should deke505 get?-jesse5.jpg
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Ride More, Whine Less
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    I agree with heyyall, it should be a Silverado.

That's a great video. He's proudly wearing a Myrtle Beach, SC wife beater.

I build my own.
    Ford E350 holds a lot of bikes too but the gas mileage sucks. I saved a ton on rent living in it so it worked out OK.

What kind of car/truck should deke505 get?-dsc03885.jpg
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    Chev Astro or Safari. Fits 5 bikes and 5 people INSIDE the vehicle. (Nobody steals your bikes when you stop at Timmie's on the way to Short Hills) Fits 8 bikes and 8 people if you put the bikes on racks outside. Comes in all-wheel drive. 4.3 litre V6 Vortec has tons of power for towing and gets very good gas mileage. It's the only minivan built on a truck frame (it's basically a S10 or Sonoma). It's the only minivan that you can stand a downhill bike up inside it. Used ones are about a dime a dozen. Parts are everywhere.

It's a minivan so no one asks you to help them move, because you don't own a truck. Cops don't bat an eye. You can sleep in it. They look very cool tricked out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jesse5.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	905935
    I second a Safari. I drive one. Fits bikes, skis, anything I want in there, and I can sleep in the back at the same time. The driving position is so much more upright and comfortable than in small cars, but it handles and drives like it's a much smaller car.

But people will still ask you to help move, especially if it's the biggest car that anyone they know drives. But without the rear bench seats in there, you can fit a ton of stuff so that you don't have to make a second trip.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

Front Range, Colorado
    Hey I agree the Safari or,Astro vans are awesome. My brother had one and it hauled everything. As TN stated its the only mini van built on a truck chassis. Very tough utilty van. And great power from a Chevy V-6. Chevy took their 350 V-8 and chopped 2 cylinders off the block. An easy designed V-6 that already had the proven dependability factor.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Hey I agree the Safari or,Astro vans are awesome. My brother had one and it hauled everything. As TN stated its the only mini van built on a truck chassis. Very tough utilty van. And great power from a Chevy V-6. Chevy took their 350 V-8 and chopped 2 cylinders off the block. An easy designed V-6 that already had the proven dependability factor.
    I had a 92 Safari, last year of the throttle body 4.3L, drove it 282,000 miles with nothing other than routine maintenance. 21 mpg all of the time, except for once a winter when the Michigan salty roads would take out the O2 sensor. Pulled the shyt out of a 12ft pop up camper, bikes on the front bumper, bikes on the back bumper of the camper, 4 kids, 2 dogs, and all of our gear for a 4 or 5 day trip.

Sold it to my step dad for a work van, he drove it another 60,000 miles then hit a deer and totaled it. Darn thing would probably still be going.

official eMpTyBRain
    I had a 92 Safari, last year of the throttle body 4.3L, drove it 282,000 miles with nothing other than routine maintenance. 21 mpg all of the time, except for once a winter when the Michigan salty roads would take out the O2 sensor. Pulled the shyt out of a 12ft pop up camper, bikes on the front bumper, bikes on the back bumper of the camper, 4 kids, 2 dogs, and all of our gear for a 4 or 5 day trip.

Sold it to my step dad for a work van, he drove it another 60,000 miles then hit a deer and totaled it. Darn thing would probably still be going.
    Oh, back in the GM days?

Front Range, Colorado

Yep my brothers was an 89' Astro which was identical mechanically to yours. He drove the crap out of it for 10 years. Put. 220 K. on it before selling it. Don't k ow of any problems that he had with it. He and,I once road tripped in it from San Diego to Moab via a week stop at Lake Powell. Fully loaded down for camping and pulling two jet skis.

At Lake Powell we basically 4 wheel drived via 2 wheel drive for miles back in to our campsite. The jet ski trailer was high centering several times but we kept on trucking, I mean vanning.
    Great vehicle!
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Oh, back in the GM days?
    Yeah, bought it used in Aug 95, 69K miles on it, paid something like $6200.00 for it, without a doubt the most bang for the buck vehicle that I've ever owned. Went from that to a 96 S10 Blazer 4x4, then a 2002 Chevy full sized van, to a 2006 1/2 ton Ram Hemi quad cab 4x4.

Then I quit GM and moved to Phoenix. 99 Tacoma 4 cyl 5 spd, 2004 Pathfinder, MYLILTJ.

Out of the whole bunch, the only "lemon" was the 2002 Chevy van, got rid of it right before the warranty expired. For a $42K van, it was a piece of sh!t.

official eMpTyBRain
    They custom up real nice, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What kind of car/truck should deke505 get?-neer.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images          

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast