All fat, all the time.

What are the kids doing these days to their cars?

I'm not 40 yet, but I guess I'm *old enough* to not understand WTF the kids are doing to their cars now-a-days.

What is this thing (specifically the off camber wheels haha).What are the kids doing these days to their cars?-what_is_this_car.jpg

mtbr member
    Running rims for the lip and destroying their rear end in a hurry.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    That ones pretty conservative compared to what I've seen. Now because of this thread I'm driven [pun intended] to start snapping photos to post up.
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

mtbr member
    I will get some pics too. I like the ones where the rims are worth about 4x what the car is worth.

All fat, all the time.
    Yeah, last week I missed grabbing a pic of one , the wheels must have been close to 30 degrees crooked....?....

Can't imagine they handle very well lol.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I blame fidget spinners.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    These guys see dedicated road race cars with 3-5 degrees of neg. camber and think they can run that on the street. Tires wear out in a thousand miles.
    The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine. ~ John Howard

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Old news, and yeah it's a quick way to ruin tires, wheel bearings, suspension, oil pans, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    Old news, and yeah it's a quick way to ruin tires, wheel bearings, suspension, oil pans, etc.
    But it looks bad . . . Not! They pay good money to make it uglier. My 87 year old father made a comment recently to me. He laughed and said "why does a loud muffler and wheels give these kids the false feeling that their car is faster?"
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    To the OP, they call it "stance" and yes those who do this to vehicles are idiots. It looks terrible, provides Zero performance benefits and ruins the ride.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    http://www.mtbr.com/guidelinescrx.aspx

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    But it looks bad . . . Not! They pay good money to make it uglier. My 87 year old father made a comment recently to me. He laughed and said "why does a loud muffler and wheels give these kids the false feeling that their car is faster?"
    Putting some NOS, Monster, and NISMO stickers and that should be good for 15hp at least y0!!!

There is a guy at work that has a 350z badged as a Fairlady Z, which is fine except the front bumper is falling off and the whole car just looks beat up.

Meatbomb
    Roll Coal....

western NC
    Every generation has their own thing. I'm quite sure there were people that made fun of the mods done to the cars of every generation. And at some point way back, guys on horses, laughing at guys in cars. I've seen rides that were done right, that looked good, and I've seen the trash like posted above. Stance doesn't always mean ridiculous camber, or super low either, it's simply how the vehicle sits.

mtbr member
    First time they hit a set of railroad tracks, they have to do 2 mph to prevent blowing the whole thing apart.

That's impressive!
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

mtbr member
    Hey I pimped out my car with 350Z rims!! Radical man!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    Every generation has their own thing. I'm quite sure there were people that made fun of the mods done to the cars of every generation. And at some point way back, guys on horses, laughing at guys in cars. I've seen rides that were done right, that looked good, and I've seen the trash like posted above. Stance doesn't always mean ridiculous camber, or super low either, it's simply how the vehicle sits.
    Yep and yep. The stance thing is how it sits from front to back and not how the wheels are offset or off camber. I'm willing to take a stance on this.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Roll Coal....
    What are the kids doing these days to their cars?-img_20170617_191539072-1024x576.jpg

Fun at the race track. Not on the street.

You need 18.2 chainstays
    In the 70s before I could drive, the thing was to jack up the back end of the car about 4 inches, and stuff huge tires mounted on cragar SS mags. They stuck out way past the fenderwells, but it didn't matter 'cause the car was jacked-up so high. And it wasn't just musclecars that got the treatment, but Monte Carlos, Cutlasses, got it too.

When me and my friends finally got our Mopar musclecars, we were all about factory wheels and none of that jacked-up stuff.

So anyway, there is always a group that goes for style over substance, and then there is a grey area on some mods.
    2016 Banshee Prime, 6-speed

mtbr member
    A guy on the 4runner forum recently did this to his mom's Camry. At least it's functional

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    In the 70s before I could drive, the thing was to jack up the back end of the car about 4 inches, and stuff huge tires mounted on cragar SS mags. They stuck out way past the fenderwells, but it didn't matter 'cause the car was jacked-up so high. And it wasn't just musclecars that got the treatment, but Monte Carlos, Cutlasses, got it too.
    And occasionally you'd see someone who went full dragster, with skinny, skinny front wheels/tires. Can't imagine how poorly those handled!
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    A guy on the 4runner forum recently did this to his mom's Camry. At least it's functional

Happy Mother's Day!
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

occ member
    Seems like "dubs" are on their way out. Can't imagine those rubber band tires on huge af rims were good for anything...

Oh wait.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Seems like "dubs" are on their way out. Can't imagine those rubber band tires on huge af rims were good for anything...

Oh wait.

I hate those Donks. That is the worst thing ever done to cars!

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Yep and yep. The stance thing is how it sits from front to back and not how the wheels are offset or off camber. I'm willing to take a stance on this.
    Yes, the word stance can have that meaning... however the guys who do the off camber thing call that specifically "stance". There is a whole thing called "Stance Culture" that revolves around that ridiculous style.

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    http://www.mtbr.com/guidelinescrx.aspx

mtbr member
    Net Wurker and his original fidget spinner rims...

What are the kids doing these days to their cars?-dbe5ce49fada2f299721b1fe40bfe588.jpg
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

All fat, all the time.
    Sweet, glad I know what is called now.

Honestly, people driving Prius's probably think the same of my lifted Wrangler....."dumb truck, big tires, what a waste of gas"
    Yep, but it's fun and goes anywhere.

I was more curious than anything, don't live in a big city so just starting to see these around here.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    These guys see dedicated road race cars with 3-5 degrees of neg. camber and think they can run that on the street. Tires wear out in a thousand miles.
    Half the BMW X5s I see have 5 degrees of camber in the rear wheels.

"Hey bro. You know that isn't going to help your SUV after you've rolled it 3 times, right?"

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Rabid Lana fan
    Damn, I need to eat a cheeseburger or three.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

western NC
    That guy's videos are hilarious BTW.

mtbr member
    AARRRGGG!

You need 18.2 chainstays
    The other thing I see in the burbs out here in TX is lifted 4wds with 22s and low profile tires. So they have a truck jacked up sky-high, but can barely roll a curb with it, much less go off-road. It goes without saying that the wheels must have an offset such that a minimum of 3" of rubber sticks outside of the body of the vehicle.
    2016 Banshee Prime, 6-speed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    The other thing I see in the burbs out here in TX is lifted 4wds with 22s and low profile tires. So they have a truck jacked up sky-high, but can barely roll a curb with it, much less go off-road. It goes without saying that the wheels must have an offset such that a minimum of 3" of rubber sticks outside of the body of the vehicle.
    Have you seen the four door JK Jeeps rolling this style around Texas too. It's the new and improved Mall Crawler fad I guess. Plus, it seems you need lots of LED light bars for the mall too.

Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Yes, the word stance can have that meaning... however the guys who do the off camber thing call that specifically "stance". There is a whole thing called "Stance Culture" that revolves around that ridiculous style.

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2
    Well they're calling it wrong. It's a slang term for several things in the so called "tuner" car world. The true meaning of the word in the car world is how the car sits front to back. By adding different mods as off set wheels and or off camber axles doesn't make using the word stance legit in the actual words meaning. It's a generic slang term thrown around in today's tuner world.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 5 Days Ago at 11:54 AM. Reason: Typo

western NC
    ^^Nailed it. And not the first time words have been mis-appropriated for some fad throughout history.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post

Oh wait.

That's because stock wheels have gotten huge and now come in 19" or 20" from the factory. I remember when cars had 15"s as standard size and you "hooked up" your car with some sweet 17"s LOL

western NC
    ^^WHAT? Hell I remember 13" wheels as stock. LOL

^^WHAT? Hell I remember 13" wheels as stock. LOL
    Yep, 13" on foreign and domestic small cars and 14's on domestic full size boats.

Moderator Moderator
    Stop hating', y'all don't know style.

Ok, kidding. Those cars do look fugly. Some guys think that the street is a racetrack.

mtbr member

Actually I think they do that so they can drive on the street.

mtbr member
    Very functional...

Maaaaan
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    I can agree with that.
    I used to street race a long time ago.
    You can't set up a street racer like a track car, it simply doesn't work.
    Streets are too rough, with dips etc. A person needs more travel, sidewall, shocks that are sporty but not stiff etc.
    Anti Roll bars shouldn't be so stiff on a street racer either.
    Too many fall for the ad hype.

What you see all the time in that crowd, is high performance shocks set up so stiff, they pack up.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

mtbr member
    THis has to be from TX or maybe OK. I can't tell from the license plate.