Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bro
    Where I do my thinking

Well, that was a fast season....

.... All thirty minutes of it....

Crashed yesterday in my first race (a 3/4/5 crit on campus) of the season and broke lots of stuff. Racing down a hill at 30 MPH, and there's a wide 90* corner at the bottom of the hill. The corner is wide enough to make it without braking. So I was riding solo (somewhere off the back/mid-field) with 7 laps to go when I hit the turn, just as I had been doing for the entire race.

Except at the apex of the turn, my tires lost traction and I went down hard. Shredded my jersey, shorts, and gloves. Destroyed my helmet and glasses. Took the cover plates and a fair amount of material off my Dura Ace 7700 shifters. Bent my brand-new (to me) Cane Creek tubular front wheel. I also lost a crapton of skin from both sets of knuckles, took the tip off a finger, lost skin from both elbows/forearms and shoulders, and road rash on my right knee and thigh. Also broke my right clavicle, so that's immobilized in a sling now. It's funny because I'm right-handed and I'll still be in a sling when final exams come up in a month. I'll have to get help from the Office of Student Disabilities for that.

Oh well. Considering the circumstances, I was very lucky. The kit can be replaced (with the old one in a frame), the bike can be repaired, and I'll be fixed up soon enough. Looks like I'll be spending quite a bit more time with you goons now.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

Front Range, Colorado
    Holy crap you tore everything up. Good vibes your way on the healing process and getting the bike back up and running. At the beginning of the season, OUCH!
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

duh
    you know there are better ways to get out of exams right?

Hope you have a speedy recovery and don't miss to much of the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Yeah, first race of the season. Oh well, it happens to everyone. I'll be back on the bike hopefully in two months or so, so I've still got plenty of time to ride over the summer and race mountain bikes in the fall.

I'd been planning to do three other race weekends this season. The first about a month ago, but I got sick right before the weekend. The second would've been the week after that, but the host team wasn't accepting team pay so I decided not to go. And the last race weekend is next weekend for conference championships, but the doctor won't let me do that.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Good to hear you'll get some summer riding in. When I first saw your post, I thought you were out for the whole summer. That would truly suck. Happy recovery.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

official eMpTyBRain
    Wow, sorry to hear. Heal up fast. Us goons are here for you 24/7.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

AZ
    banned
    Owwwwie! Heal quickly.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Dang man! Like someone else said we're here for you. At least you will be fine in a couple months and it's just a bike. The broken bits can be replaced.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Gnarly
    As I was reading, I was cringing at your description of the crash and your injuries that went from bad to worse. If I were a teacher I would give you an A for effort...

Sending my healing to you Bro!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Thanks for the good thoughts, everyone. I was looking at the file from my Garmin. Before, during, and after the crash. I ended up about 30 feet from where I first went down. 30-0 in seven seconds, using my body as the brake pad.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

and this is why crits are great for spectators. I remember watching an early season crit at Ohio State back in undergrad, and it was snowing. the roads were just wet, but still almost ice. the carnage was awesome. at least nobody was too seriously hurt. heal up, man.

Ride More, Whine Less

We need a reenactment video, photo at least.

Sorry to hear about the crash. Sounds like you are going to be in a mess of pain. Hopefully you will get a cute coed as you disability assistant to take the edge off.

Raymond Donald Franklin
    Sending healing vibes in your direction.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    We need a reenactment video, photo at least.

Sorry to hear about the crash. Sounds like you are going to be in a mess of pain. Hopefully you will get a cute coed as you disability assistant to take the edge off.
    I'll try my best.... Leaning into a right-hand turn at 30 MPH, leaning a bit further to make the turn. Suddenly I'm landing on my shoulder, feel my helmet scraping along the ground. I must have flipped over at that point because there's road rash on my left side too and my left shifter is chewed up. At some point, I realize that my feet are on the ground, make effort to stay that way. I stay on my feet, run off the course, and yell out, "FUUUUCK!" My teammate who's the marshal at that corner runs over and gets my bike off the course as well. I look down, realize that I'm covered in blood and that I can't move my arm, so I go to sit down. People come running over, etc etc, all making sure I'm alright. Another teammate offers to drive me to the hospital, so I do that, and yeah.

At least I think that's how it all played out.

Sadly, nobody was there with any cameras at that time.

mtbr member
    Heal quick! The rest of your cycling year will be awesome now that you got that crash out of the way!

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishful Tomcat View Post
    Heal quick! The rest of your cycling year will be awesome now that you got that crash out of the way!
    I can certainly hope it'll be that way!

I've been sitting around all day doing nothing, with my arm in the sling inside of my shirt because I couldn't get it through the sleeve. And I just took the sling off for a bit and it feels great to sit here and let my skin get some air.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Bleh! Heal up Erik! Sounds gnarly....and full of scars!
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

mtbr member
    Hope you have a speedy recovery!
    A meal is not complete without a bowl of rice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I hate to hear stories like this. I hope you heal fast and get back in motion soon.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Day two post-crash and I'm feeling great. Thanks, everyone.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Got my X-rays from the ER. The break is next to the ruler that I set up on the photo. Saw the doctor yesterday and everything is going great! I can take my arm out of the sling and rest it on my lap without pain, and I can actively move my arm a bit without pain too. I can't lift my arm, but I wouldn't expect that a week and a half out. The road rash is pretty much all scabbed over/healed too, so that makes showers much less of an ordeal than previously. All in all, recovery is going much better than I'd first expected.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    That's great news Bro.!!!!

Gnarly
    So glad you are on the mend!

Did you need surgery to plate and pin?
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

official eMpTyBRain
    Most excellent!!!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Ride More, Whine Less

You look to be all skin and bones. Hopefully the time off will put some meat on those bones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast