Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    better than I deserve
    Exactly who`s interest does this new forum benefit?
    Take 29er components and make it 26 bikes.
    Last edited by roblee; 03-17-2012 at 12:22 PM.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by roblee View Post
    Exactly who`s interest does this new forum benefit?

Not you?

Front Range, Colorado
    Two weeks ago
    Hey everyone we're going to be adding an off topic discussion forum.
    We would like some suggestions on a name for it. So put your thoughts out on what it should be named. We are posting this in general and passion.
    Jump ahead:
    So numerous people put out their ideas, with some losing sleep over it. Two weeks go by. Hey everyone welcome to our new "Off Topic Forum". So with all of us pondering and picking our brains on a name for this new forum the end result is what was originally brought up.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

wannabee
    At least some of the alphabet has been figured out.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gregg View Post
    Thanks for all the input and name suggestions.

Here it is. Please do post OT thread in Passion or General any more.

Threads with political or religious themes are not allowed. But pretty much anything else (within our forum guidelines) is fair game.

-gregg & francis

(thanks to rockcrusher and CHUM for being sheriff 'round these parts!)
    Thanks, but is there a clarification of these rules? How can one discuss the economy without bringing in politics...foreign policy, wars, travel, etc without the same?

Can we discuss the various election issues without religion being a factor...what about women's issues?

There are so many topics outside of religion and politics that involve religion and politics...is there some specific clarification?...and what about Canadian and Eurozone politics?...a hot issue for many of us.

banned
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01 View Post
    Thanks, but is there a clarification of these rules? How can one discuss the economy without bringing in politics...foreign policy, wars, travel, etc without the same?

Can we discuss the various election issues without religion being a factor...what about women's issues?

There are so many topics outside of religion and politics that involve religion and politics...is there some specific clarification?...and what about Canadian and Eurozone politics?...a hot issue for many of us.
    This is exactly what I was getting at in my Posting Guidelines thread. What is and what is not considered politics or religion here. If MTBR wants to reopen a space for discussing issues and ideas, it should not exclude certain topics. It will will be impossible to define when a discussion or a post crosses the line in terms of allowable subject matter. What MTBR.com should do is simply ensure that discussions do not get unpleasant or disrespectful.

I know that MTBR is concerned that this forum might degenerate into another controversy the way the old f=88 forum did. I can appreciate their concern. MTBR.com would do well to remember that it was a small number of people who created that situation and everyone on MTBR.com paid the price for it. A lively, entertaining and informative discussion forum was closed down as a result. I think it's fair to say that the previous experience of losing that forum will remind new and returning participants of the high price they will pay for not respecting the rules. Since the rules governing behavior are already in place, why not just enforce them for all subjects? Let the moderators focus on member discipline, instead of asking them to decide what is and is not political or religious subject matter.

Roadbikereview.com has managed a very successful forum for 'off camber' topics for many years, so there is no reason why MTBR.com cannot do the same. Are mountain bikers less intelligent or less mature than road bikers?

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nebelwerfer42 View Post
    This is exactly what I was getting at in my Posting Guidelines thread. What is and what is not considered politics or religion here. If MTBR wants to reopen a space for discussing issues and ideas, it should not exclude certain topics. It will will be impossible to define when a discussion or a post crosses the line in terms of allowable subject matter. What MTBR.com should do is simply ensure that discussions do not get unpleasant or disrespectful.

I know that MTBR is concerned that this forum might degenerate into another controversy the way the old f=88 forum did. I can appreciate their concern. MTBR.com would do well to remember that it was a small number of people who created that situation and everyone on MTBR.com paid the price for it. A lively, entertaining and informative discussion forum was closed down as a result. I think it's fair to say that the previous experience of losing that forum will remind new and returning participants of the high price they will pay for not respecting the rules. Since the rules governing behavior are already in place, why not just enforce them for all subjects? Let the moderators focus on member discipline, instead of asking them to decide what is and is not political or religious subject matter.

Roadbikereview.com has managed a very successful forum for 'off camber' topics for many years, so there is no reason why MTBR.com cannot do the same. Are mountain bikers less intelligent or less mature than road bikers?
    An excellent observation...a quick review of the threads in this forum indicates that there is really nothing to discuss, given the rules. Seems to be just a few juvenile posts which will quickly kill any participation here.

I'll lurk around for a bit to see where this goes but can't see much activity that would be of interest moving forward.

banned
    Mar 2012
    There has already been one significant post that probably violated the guidelines. The thread about favorite generals contains a detailed post outlining controversial American military planning during the Kennedy administration. Many of the statements in that post are overtly political. Was the post political or merely historical?

I personally found it very informative, and would not wish to see it deleted.

JM01 is right. Most of the posts so far in Off Camber are disappointing. The forum will not survive if it cannot attract mature and responsible members who wish to discuss more serious matters.

injured reserve list
    Now it's time for "Off Camber" to be up on the "forums bar" instead of "Lights"

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
    Now it's time for "Off Camber" to be up on the "forums bar" instead of "Lights"
    Totally agree. We're much brighter than lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    You? Brighter than lights? Maybe if it's a one watt bulb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    You? Brighter than lights? Maybe if it's a one watt bulb.
    Nope, candle. We don't have electricity here in Canada. But we do have Internet though
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

injured reserve list
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    WAY brighter than "Lights" for sure and it's a just a simple pain in the @ss to get here in OC.

Where's the mods, are you listening? You should since you put us over here.

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    Nah.I said "his".
    OK. Here's anothr hint. The first part of his name is the opposite of the word, "low".
    He was probably banned for posting bike stuff in the OC.
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by nebelwerfer42 View Post

JM01 is right. Most of the posts so far in Off Camber are disappointing. The forum will not survive if it cannot attract mature and responsible members who wish to discuss more serious matters.
    i believe that discussion of poop, parking lot posers, and non-thoughts is entirely relevant to the forum, and if you pay attention you'll notice a superfluity of mature, responsible members conversing elegantly about these topics.

clearly the subject matter and level of discussion exceeds your ability to participate. Not to worry, there is a forum you can participate in and feel right at home.

AZ
    banned
    reported

FKA Malibu412
    ^^^ Necromancer of dead threads....

Oh wait, wrong thread.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

AZ
    banned
    reported

Is not amused
    Hello again Admin/Mods could you do us a favor and lock this thread as well. It seems to be another entrance to spamming OC. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2