Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Rogue Exterminator
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

official eMpTyBRain
    Super cool!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

pin it
    Didn't it occur to them that the giraffe would hoof them?
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Didn't it occur to them that the giraffe would hoof them?
    Or bat them to the side with it's head?

duh
    I think the giraffe just wanted to play or mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    I think the giraffe just wanted to play or mate.
    You speak from experience, I take it?

Rogue Exterminator
    This just proves what I have always known. Giraffes are evil ferocious killers just waiting for an opportunity to attack and kill humans so they can take over the world.

Front Range, Colorado
    Let's see mountain biking in Africa, sounds like a great idea. Hey we'll be alright we have our bicycles for protection. There's no dangerous animals here only lions, tigers, leapards, cheetahs,elephants,rhinos, chrocs, hyenas, snakes, wildebeest, hippos and the occasional docile giraffe. HELLO!
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^Rock Garden

AZ
    banned
    That's why all those dangerous beasts should be confined to zoos.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Let's see mountain biking in Africa, sounds like a great idea. Hey we'll be alright we have our bicycles for protection. There's no dangerous animals here only lions, tigers, leapards, cheetahs,elephants,rhinos, chrocs, hyenas, snakes, wildebeest, hippos and the occasional docile giraffe. HELLO!

Let's see mountain biking in America, sounds like a great idea. Hey we'll be alright we have our bicycles for protection. There's no dangerous animals here only bears, wolves, cyotes, mountain lions, snakes, alligators and the occasional docile beaver. HELLO!

Them Africans must think we are nuts.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Let's see mountain biking in America, sounds like a great idea. Hey we'll be alright we have our bicycles for protection. There's no dangerous animals here only bears, wolves, cyotes, mountain lions, snakes, alligators and the occasional docile beaver. HELLO!

Them Africans must think we are nuts.
    Ha,ha that's pretty funny. Except almost every animal listed is only in certain parts of the country. Unlike Africa that all are spread throughout. If I rode in Africa a sidearm would be carried. Same goes for riding in America where Grizzly bears are present. The rest of those animals you listed are afraid of humans or are just not around mtb trails. With the exception of a mountainlion possibility. Africa is far more dangerous than America.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Front Range, Colorado
    I was riding a trail in So. Cal and was stalked by a aligator,coyote,beaver,mountain lion,grizzly bear,black bear, a So. Cal. Wolf and a rash of snakes all on one ride. I'm surprised I lived to tell the tale. The aligator and beaver chased me all the way home.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Rogue Exterminator
    Ha,ha that's pretty funny. Except almost every animal listed is only in certain parts of the country. Unlike Africa that all are spread throughout. If I rode in Africa a sidearm would be carried. Same goes for riding in America where Grizzly bears are present. The rest of those animals you listed are afraid of humans or are just not around mtb trails. With the exception of a mountainlion possibility. Africa is far more dangerous than America.
    Groenkloof Nature Reserve

Wildlife: The wildlife on the reserve includes zebra, jackal, duiker, kudu, impala, blue wildebeest, blesbuck, red hartebeest, ostrich, giraffe and sable. The rich bird life will keep bird lovers busy for hours on end.

Most the animals in the reserve are docile.

duh
    Groenkloof Nature Reserve

Wildlife: The wildlife on the reserve includes zebra, jackal, duiker, kudu, impala, blue wildebeest, blesbuck, red hartebeest, ostrich, giraffe and sable. The rich bird life will keep bird lovers busy for hours on end.

Most the animals in the reserve are docile.
    are you allowed to mtb on the reserve
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

Rogue Exterminator
    I would think so

Horse trails: Day trail: guided, minimum 4, maximum 6 horses
    Weekend trail: Maximum four hours per day
    Night drives: two-hour drive, including use of the lapa
    Mountain bike trail: 20 km route. Helmets are compulsory. No helmet, no ride
    Motorcar route: 5 km (interpretation route)
    4x4 route: 14 km (interpretation route)
    Picnic area: Exclusively for relaxing after one of the trails (bring your own firewood)

mtbr member
    There are only 2 dangerous animals in N America -- grizzly and black bears (well polar bears too, but they are way up north, not where you'd be riding). Mountain lions won't bother with anyone as large and intimidating as a mountain biker. Wolves are about the safest animal you could encounter -- your chances of being attacked are about 0.00000%. I had one watch me pack up my bike the other week.

A couple days ago I went in for a bikepacking weekend above Whistler and as I was going in some hikers came out and one had a hunting rifle for protection from bears. Like a rifle is going to make any difference to a charging grizzly! He seemed to realize this, and agreed that bear spray is probably better.

I saw a few bear tracks up there and on the way out passed a couple that was up at Chilko lake a few weeks earlier and had grizzlies all around them, walking through their camp by the river. No problems. Apparently there are three up the Callaghan Valley by Whistler.

The only time you have a problem with grizzlies is if you sneak up on a mother and cubs. Black bears, on the other hand, do sometimes stalk and eat people, which is why black bears are the only animal I might have some fear of. So bring your bear spray, and you'll be fine.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    Wolves are about the safest animal you could encounter -- your chances of being attacked are about 0.00000%.
    I wouldn't say that.
    Although wolf attacks are not common, they do happen.

official eMpTyBRain
    I was riding a trail in So. Cal and was stalked by a aligator,coyote,beaver,mountain lion,grizzly bear,black bear, a So. Cal. Wolf and a rash of snakes all on one ride. I'm surprised I lived to tell the tale. The aligator and beaver chased me all the way home.
    DJ, what kind of beaver was it?

official eMpTyBRain
    There are only 2 dangerous animals in N America -- grizzly and black bears (well polar bears too, but they are way up north, not where you'd be riding). Mountain lions won't bother with anyone as large and intimidating as a mountain biker. Wolves are about the safest animal you could encounter -- your chances of being attacked are about 0.00000%. I had one watch me pack up my bike the other week.

A couple days ago I went in for a bikepacking weekend above Whistler and as I was going in some hikers came out and one had a hunting rifle for protection from bears. Like a rifle is going to make any difference to a charging grizzly! He seemed to realize this, and agreed that bear spray is probably better.

I saw a few bear tracks up there and on the way out passed a couple that was up at Chilko lake a few weeks earlier and had grizzlies all around them, walking through their camp by the river. No problems. Apparently there are three up the Callaghan Valley by Whistler.

The only time you have a problem with grizzlies is if you sneak up on a mother and cubs. Black bears, on the other hand, do sometimes stalk and eat people, which is why black bears are the only animal I might have some fear of. So bring your bear spray, and you'll be fine.
    Black Bears in So Cal must be the exception to that rule. I've happened upon a few of them and they were running away from me at blurry speeds. I'm not afraid of them compared to Mtn. Lions. Large male Mtn Lions kill and eat full sized buck deer here so they could take down a large man if they were so inclined.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't say that.
    Although wolf attacks are not common, they do happen.
    A while ago I heard that there were about 2 reports of wolf attacks on people in history. Whether that refers to fatal attacks or not, I'm not sure. And I believe those were rabid wolves. I have never, ever heard of anyone being attacked, or at least seriously injured, by a wolf. It just doesn't happen. Actually, a few years ago there was a kayaker on BC's Inside Passage who was camping on an outer island and a near-death emaciated starving wolf attacked him. He fought it off with a swiss army knife. That's the only instance I've heard.

Now, I can't back up my claims with hard stats, but the onus is on wolf attack believers to show the data, otherwise we must assume that they are very safe animals.

AZ
    banned
    A kid in Minnesota was attacked by a wolf 2 weeks ago.

Rogue Exterminator
    About a week ago

Minnesota teen suffers head wounds in fight with attacking wolf | Fox News

Like I said, it is rare but it does happen.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    A kid in Minnesota was attacked by a wolf 2 weeks ago.
    Ha, beat me to it by a few seconds. lol

Rogue Exterminator
    Now, I can't back up my claims with hard stats, but the onus is on wolf attack believers to show the data, otherwise we must assume that they are very safe animals.
    Actually, the onus is on the one who made the initial claim which is you.

mtbr member
    Mountain lions won't bother with anyone as large and intimidating as a mountain biker.
    Fatal cougar attacks on adults.

Mark Jeffrey Reynolds, 35, male January 8, 2004 Attacked and killed while mountain biking at Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park in southern Orange County, California[9][18]

Thomas Harris, 26, male July 1976 Killed by a two year old male cougar near Gold River on British Columbia's Vancouver Island. He was dragged over 800 yards in the snow.

Barbara Barsalou Schoener, 40, female April 23, 1994 Long distance runner and Placerville resident was attacked and killed while jogging on the American River Canyon Trail in California's Auburn State Recreation Area[8][9]

Iris M. Kenna, 56, female December 10, 1994 Killed while hiking alone near Cuyamaca Peak in California's Cuyamaca Rancho State Park[9][10]

Cindy Parolin, 36, female August 19, 1996 Mother killed while defending her 6 year old son on a horse back riding trip in British Columbia[11]

Frances Frost, 30, female January 2, 2001 This Canmore, Alberta resident was killed by a cougar while skiing on Cascade Fire Road just north of Banff National Park in Alberta[17]

Robert Nawojski, 55, male June 24, 2008 Searchers found his body on this date near his mobile home in Pinos Altos, New Mexico. Investigators concluded that he had been attacked and killed by a cougar several days earlier.[19]

Woman, unknown age, female 1951 Killed in Tampico, Mexico.

This is just the fatalities on adults! There are many more non fatal attacks and attacks on children.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast