mtbr member

Victim to a seemingly straightforward concept

I bought my first house in January and moved from my home state of NJ to PA. Fast forward a few months and I get my first quarterly city water/sewer bill. I am told I can only, repeat only, pay by check. You can use an online service to pay with a credit card, but it's through a third party company that charges $5 to essentially write them a check on your behalf. Plus it takes an extra two days.

No big deal, I write a check and send it in. Mind you there is no bill stub or any extra papers, just a check in an envelope. The postmarked return envelope has a line printed under the return address area to write you account number, so I do.

A number of days go by and I receive the check back in the mail with a request! They asked me to write the account number on the check next time. It was on the ______ing envelope! Right where YOU designated the spot!. Now I'm overdue and I use the ridiculous $5 online bill pay service so my account is payed up.

Anyone else fall victim to a seemingly straightforward concept?

P.S. Bills suck.

human dehumidifier
    I often have problems paying the right account with on-line bill pay. My wife and I have separate accounts for the same card, and about once a year I end up with a credit balance on one and a late fee on the other.

Another similar one I pulled was accidentally selecting my daughter's electric account instead of mine. Her account was in my account list because I had fronted the money to get it turned on. This time she let me know before I got a late charge, but she had free electric for about 3-4 months. (Yes my electric bill is outrageous and she has a 3 room apartment so hers is the opposite).
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

I didn't do it
    Where the hell do you live? I've never heard of this. So you don't even have a bill stub? Then how do you know how much to send in?

workin' it Administrator
    I use bill pay for most things including the water bill which is similar as yours. I would search your bill pay and see if they have them listed. It is just an electronic transfer to their account and should be supported. However it won't get electronic bills or autopay the amount due. You still have to open the envelope and enter in the amount you want to pay. I forget or lose the water bill at least once a year and forget to pay a month for water. Stupid meat.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nwbikur View Post
    Where the hell do you live? I've never heard of this. So you don't even have a bill stub? Then how do you know how much to send in?
    No I do get a bill stub in the mail. But there is nothing to detach and send in with the check, which would have my account information. You basically just send in the check with your account number scribbled on the check somewhere.

But no where on the bill does it tell you to do this. Only after I had my check sent back to me was I informed. Never mind the fact that their return envelope has a spot for the account number. All someone had to do was transfer the number to my check and initial it or something. But instead they took the time to write me a letter and mail it back.

Give it a crank
    Not specifically a bill but I went through a similar hassle. I got the registration renewal reminder in the mail for my street legal dual sport dirt bike. It stated I had to take it to get emissions tested.

Nothing was unusual, I had 30 days to get it all done. Sometime before before the expiration date I got it tested, it passed with flying colors, I paid the registration renewal, got the license plate tag valid for another 2 years in the mail, and left it on my desk so I wouldn't forget to put it on the bike plate.

The weekend was coming up, and I went out for my usual weekend rides which I often started from home since I could ride my street legal dirt bike on the streets without worrying about getting a ticket. I had a great weekend of riding and on Sunday before the end of the day, I decided to go for a errand.

On the way back, I get pulled over for doing 35 in a 25 mph section of a street along the way. When the cop looks at my plate, he mentioned my registration was also expired. After asking me how many tickets he was supposed to give me, I said: "sir, my registration sticker is sitting on my desk, and I was going at the same speed as the vehicle in front of me."

I got my dipsh!t award but somehow rolled away without getting ticketed.

mtbr member
    ^ any time you get pulled over and drive away without a ticket is a win!

And don't get me started on the 30 days I had to register my car. It took more like 60+ and a couple angry phone calls.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    my registration sticker is sitting on my desk
    A similar thing happened to me. I was calling around for insurance prices at work and left my proof of insurance card on my desk. The next morning I hit a deer on the way in to work. I explained the situation, and the trooper gave me a ride to work, so I offered to go in get it and bring it right back out, but he said he had no choice but to write a ticket at the scene. I had to take myself and my insurance card to the courthouse to fix it.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    During my time of transition I was extra cautious while driving. I didn't want to explain to a cop why I had a PA drivers license with PA insurance and a NJ tagged car, which belonged to me with a NJ registration.

Obviously I would have been caught in the middle of the process and I was doing things in the right order, but it probably would have taken some straightening out before he'd let me go.