Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 417
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sgtjim57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    The gun debate will still be here when all of us are dead. My intention here was just express how grateful I am that I have an outlet that let's me release my negative energy. It's just a shame not everyone call channel away their negative energy in ways not harmful to others. All I can say is apart from keep biking, pay attention to those around you. After losing two people close to me to suicide in the last 3 years, I realize lot's of people are in dire need of help, even though they may not seem like it.
    Totally agree. Biking is what helps me through the week. Retired military and now a school teacher at a local high school. When things like this occur, it "opens our eyes just a little more and at the same time those in charge stick their heads a little deeper in the sand. I bike for stress relief, and I am a gun owner. I don't want to see laws created to start the process of not allowing us as citizens to loose our rights, from gun ownership to speech. It all starts somewhere.

    The answer for many of todays issues start at home. Teach your children right from wrong, be actively involved in their lives and enjoy life while the opportunity is there. It can end so suddenly, and sometimes for no good reason.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,905
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    Sorry to hear about the suicides of your close acquaintences. Biking is a huge stress relief for me as well...I wish I could get more riding in.
    Thanks and yes, it is a major stress reliever. You are right. Wyoming continually ranks near or at the top in suicide rates. The harsh winter climate, small population and "cowboy up" mentality make it extremely isolating for many people. It's just good to keep an eye on those around you. Both of those I mentioned who committed suicide gave no clear explanation although now after the fact, I see things I missed.

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rubicon73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    76

    Well stated!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    What happened in CT was absolutely horrible and so unfathomable that someone would be so evil as to do such a deed. The situation is sad and I pray for all the family and friends affected by this.

    Situations like these are very easy for folks to get too emotional and think from emotion instead of reason. I know an earlier poster didn't want to discuss gun control in the same statement he made a statement about it - if you didn't want the conversation, don't bring it up and then bow out saying you weren't trying to bring it up - be honest - yes you were.

    The shooter had a .223 bushmaster and two handguns - 3 in all with some reports he had more in the car. It is easily stated he was heavily armed. How many guns did the principal and her staff have? Zero. Because schools are gun-free zones, you have in effect a total gun ban and no second amendment on those properties so that should pretty much tell you all you need to know about gun control - the simple fact is that it doesn't work but rather has the opposite effect - it attracts those bent on massacring innocent people to those places.

    The shooter didn't go to city hall, the capitol building, a police station and attempt to shoot as many folks did he? Do you wonder why? It's pretty explanatory that he couldn't get the numbers because he would have been taken down by those in those facilities who are armed.

    The President named a few mass shootings that have happened in the past several years - do you want to know the common denominator? They all happened where no one is armed and all in gun free zones. These shooters are cowards so they go where they know they can rack up massive casualties without anyone being able to fight back.

    There are over 2000 gun control laws all around this nation - yet did it stop this massacre last Friday? No. Will banning guns regardless of how "bogeyman" they look be effective at preventing these types of tragedies? No. On the same day this tragedy occurred, a guy in China went and killed 8 kids with a knife and in China there is no gun rights at all.

    The media and our politicians would have us believe that it is our access to firearms that create these tragedies but then look at that logic - 1 in 3 Americans own firearms which is about 100 million gun owners...Americans should be extinct with all the firearms in this nation if that logic was correct. Most Americans who own guns don't go around shooting other folks and are just as trustworthy as the policeman who patrols your neighborhood who also has a gun.

    I don't think mentally ill folks should have guns nor criminals but the simple fact is they have guns and if someone wants a gun they are going to get one by any means necessary. I know this because I have a cousin in prison for the rest of his life because he shot a guy several years ago - he was a felon who by law is forbidden to possess guns but stole them and went to do his deed.

    So it wasn't the accessibility of guns that caused this massacre but rather the inaccessibilty of guns to those who were at the school (principal and staff) who could have if there were firearms available have defended themselves from this monster who went there because he knew there was no ability for the intended target to fight back.

    In our society, we are told to call the police for our security and forget the 2nd amendment to our Bill of Rights of our Constitution is there not just so we can go deer hunting and pop cans off of fenceposts - it is there to protect Americans rights to defend themselves from those that intend to do us harm whether it be a criminal gunman or our government if they decide to harm us physically.

    We the people have lost the responsibility that our security is mainly our responsibilty - the Supreme Court has ruled that the police do not have a legal obligation to your personal well-being (they do this but you cannot sue them if as a result of a crime you suffer loss).

    We allow our politicians to tell us we need tighter gun control - yet these same politicians are surrounded by firearms (secret service, bodyguards, etc) and will you see them tell them to disarm themselves? No. Some of our loudest gun control hounds are armed themselves and/or constantly surrounded by armed individuals charged with their personal security. Why are we regular joe Americans not as important to be able to provide for our own security? Is not my family important enough to protect from some criminal who wants to do me and them harm? Is my life not as important as Barbara Boxer's?

    In summary, I think we should do away with gun free zones altogether and either let teachers and staff have firearms (they would have to have the same background checks as a normal person would have to have) or a designated staff member who is trained have firearms and the individual who is holding that role is not advertised as having that role. Someone should be in the position to be able to defend the students and staff from these monsters who wish to prey on them.
    I feel very similarly... Its a shame guns got into this kids hands and will be interesting to find out how he got ahold of them. If hes mentally derange, he shouldnt have had access through his parents to these firearms.
    I ride faster than I should...

  4. #29
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,128
    I totally support non-criminals' rights to own guns, but I utterly detest the NRA.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,905
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    I totally support non-criminals' rights to own guns, but I utterly detest the NRA.
    +1. As a gun owner and a hunter since childhood I agree.

  6. #31
    2006 Yeti AS-X
    Reputation: Lawson Raider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon73 View Post
    I feel very similarly... Its a shame guns got into this kids hands and will be interesting to find out how he got ahold of them. If hes mentally derange, he shouldnt have had access through his parents to these firearms.
    I think the guns were registered to his mother which was one of the victims of this guy. Not sure if she gave then to him with the registration in her name or if the kid took them from the house after killing her.

    I take it that this kid had autism or some other issue - not sure how the home life was but if I were to take a gander, I would guess this kid even though he had no criminal record officially, may have been a pain in the butt at home. Hard to think that someone would just go from a good kid to a raging monster killing 20 kids and 6 adults overnight. - not saying that is not possible but usually things work up small and end up larger.

    I have a problem teen myself who I fear is heading the wrong direction so I voluntarily removed all my firearms from my house and stored them securely offsite because of my concern about him. If the mother had concerns about her son if he was exhibiting behavioral issues, she should have done the same...there are situations where firearms should be stored offsite when there are troubled individuals in the house..I can still enjoy my activities such as hunting without having to worry about my troubled teen getting my stuff and doing something stupid with them.

    That is where personal responsibility as a parent and owner comes into play - don't wait for the government to regulate your responsibility, you take it upon yourself to do it. That gives some prevention.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

  7. #32
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    I think the guns were registered to his mother which was one of the victims of this guy. Not sure if she gave then to him with the registration in her name or if the kid took them from the house after killing her.

    I take it that this kid had autism or some other issue - not sure how the home life was but if I were to take a gander, I would guess this kid even though he had no criminal record officially, may have been a pain in the butt at home. Hard to think that someone would just go from a good kid to a raging monster killing 20 kids and 6 adults overnight. - not saying that is not possible but usually things work up small and end up larger.

    I have a problem teen myself who I fear is heading the wrong direction so I voluntarily removed all my firearms from my house and stored them securely offsite because of my concern about him. If the mother had concerns about her son if he was exhibiting behavioral issues, she should have done the same...there are situations where firearms should be stored offsite when there are troubled individuals in the house..I can still enjoy my activities such as hunting without having to worry about my troubled teen getting my stuff and doing something stupid with them.

    That is where personal responsibility as a parent and owner comes into play - don't wait for the government to regulate your responsibility, you take it upon yourself to do it. That gives some prevention.
    Kudos to you mate, if every parent acted and took responsibility like you do many of these tragedies and tragedies in general would be averted, a great post, reps to you...
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  8. #33
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    What happened in CT was absolutely horrible and so unfathomable that someone would be so evil as to do such a deed. The situation is sad and I pray for all the family and friends affected by this.

    Situations like these are very easy for folks to get too emotional and think from emotion instead of reason. I know an earlier poster didn't want to discuss gun control in the same statement he made a statement about it - if you didn't want the conversation, don't bring it up and then bow out saying you weren't trying to bring it up - be honest - yes you were.

    The shooter had a .223 bushmaster and two handguns - 3 in all with some reports he had more in the car. It is easily stated he was heavily armed. How many guns did the principal and her staff have? Zero. Because schools are gun-free zones, you have in effect a total gun ban and no second amendment on those properties so that should pretty much tell you all you need to know about gun control - the simple fact is that it doesn't work but rather has the opposite effect - it attracts those bent on massacring innocent people to those places.

    The shooter didn't go to city hall, the capitol building, a police station and attempt to shoot as many folks did he? Do you wonder why? It's pretty explanatory that he couldn't get the numbers because he would have been taken down by those in those facilities who are armed.

    The President named a few mass shootings that have happened in the past several years - do you want to know the common denominator? They all happened where no one is armed and all in gun free zones. These shooters are cowards so they go where they know they can rack up massive casualties without anyone being able to fight back.

    There are over 2000 gun control laws all around this nation - yet did it stop this massacre last Friday? No. Will banning guns regardless of how "bogeyman" they look be effective at preventing these types of tragedies? No. On the same day this tragedy occurred, a guy in China went and killed 8 kids with a knife and in China there is no gun rights at all.

    The media and our politicians would have us believe that it is our access to firearms that create these tragedies but then look at that logic - 1 in 3 Americans own firearms which is about 100 million gun owners...Americans should be extinct with all the firearms in this nation if that logic was correct. Most Americans who own guns don't go around shooting other folks and are just as trustworthy as the policeman who patrols your neighborhood who also has a gun.

    I don't think mentally ill folks should have guns nor criminals but the simple fact is they have guns and if someone wants a gun they are going to get one by any means necessary. I know this because I have a cousin in prison for the rest of his life because he shot a guy several years ago - he was a felon who by law is forbidden to possess guns but stole them and went to do his deed.

    So it wasn't the accessibility of guns that caused this massacre but rather the inaccessibilty of guns to those who were at the school (principal and staff) who could have if there were firearms available have defended themselves from this monster who went there because he knew there was no ability for the intended target to fight back.

    In our society, we are told to call the police for our security and forget the 2nd amendment to our Bill of Rights of our Constitution is there not just so we can go deer hunting and pop cans off of fenceposts - it is there to protect Americans rights to defend themselves from those that intend to do us harm whether it be a criminal gunman or our government if they decide to harm us physically.

    We the people have lost the responsibility that our security is mainly our responsibilty - the Supreme Court has ruled that the police do not have a legal obligation to your personal well-being (they do this but you cannot sue them if as a result of a crime you suffer loss).

    We allow our politicians to tell us we need tighter gun control - yet these same politicians are surrounded by firearms (secret service, bodyguards, etc) and will you see them tell them to disarm themselves? No. Some of our loudest gun control hounds are armed themselves and/or constantly surrounded by armed individuals charged with their personal security. Why are we regular joe Americans not as important to be able to provide for our own security? Is not my family important enough to protect from some criminal who wants to do me and them harm? Is my life not as important as Barbara Boxer's?

    In summary, I think we should do away with gun free zones altogether and either let teachers and staff have firearms (they would have to have the same background checks as a normal person would have to have) or a designated staff member who is trained have firearms and the individual who is holding that role is not advertised as having that role. Someone should be in the position to be able to defend the students and staff from these monsters who wish to prey on them.
    The reason i mentioned it in an earlier thread and didnt continue with it was to show i think its an area that has to be addressed but also because i have bought it up in another thread to which serious debate followed and many were upset that the gun debate was detracting from the tragedy.

    For the record im not anti guns, my father was a Taxidermist and shooter and i grew up shooting and had a house full of guns..
    Im for people to take greater responsibility with the security of them, and im all for the banning of automatic and semi automatic weapons and for the banning of handguns.
    All three are banned here and we have had one mass shooting in 25 years and we have our fair share of lunatics here.

    Ive asked in another thread could somebody give me the reasons and uses of semi and automatic weapons BAR law enforcement in society and im yet to get one answer..

    Better work needs to be done with mental illness
    Tougher gun regulations are needed
    The banning of handguns and autos a semis are needed imo
    Tougher home security is needed with weapons in general
    Tougher screening is needed when buying weapons

    Just my opinion...
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: F.N.G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    What is your suggestion? Instead of bashing like the hordes of others have done on both sides of the issue, why not offer a solution. I have stated my opinion without name calling those who do not agree with me. I stated my opinion respecting everyone on here.

    I have no problem with those whose opinion differs...gun ownership is a personal decision and if you don't believe you should own them, then it is your right to not own them.
    He has none. He is just a guy who sits in front of his computer all the time spewing nonsense.

  10. #35
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post

    The shooter had a .223 bushmaster and two handguns - 3 in all with some reports he had more in the car. It is easily stated he was heavily armed. How many guns did the principal and her staff have? Zero. Because schools are gun-free zones, you have in effect a total gun ban and no second amendment on those properties so that should pretty much tell you all you need to know about gun control - the simple fact is that it doesn't work but rather has the opposite effect - it attracts those bent on massacring innocent people to those places..
    So we'll have to arm all teachers, then arm all employees in malls, then arm everyone at state fairs, then arm everyone walking on the sidewalk.

    It's ridiculous and not the answer.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  11. #36
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    So we'll have to arm all teachers, then arm all employees in malls, then arm everyone at state fairs, then arm everyone walking on the sidewalk.

    It's ridiculous and not the answer.
    Totally agree its not even close to the answer.
    First of all it takes a blink of an eye to commit many of these crimes, how in hell a school with primary school female teachers is going to stop these blokes until after the carnage has happened is beyond me, plus most of these guys will not be detered with the possibility of being shot, most kill themselves anyway.
    IMO its just not realistic to say that the problem lies not with the accessibility of guns but it lies with the fact not everybody in the country is armed lol..
    This situation was all about how accessible the firearms were, and the guy would have achived exactly the same outcome had the female teachers in this school had have been armed..
    IMO it will take decades and decades to introduce new laws and havr the results of them start to show, but every journey starts with one step.
    Last edited by Tone's; 12-16-2012 at 07:52 PM.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  12. #37
    Professional Crastinator
    Reputation: Fleas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    So we'll have to arm all teachers, then arm all employees in malls, then arm everyone at state fairs, then arm everyone walking on the sidewalk.

    It's ridiculous and not the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Totally agree its not even close to the answer.
    First of all it takes a blink of an eye to commit many of these crimes, how in hell a school with primary school female teachers is going to stop these blokes until after the carnage has happened is beyond me, plus most of these guys will not be detered with the possibility of being shot, most kill themselves anyway.
    IMO its just not realistic to say that the problem lies not with the accessibility of guns but it lies with the fact not everybody in the country is armed lol..
    This situation was all about how accessible the firearms were, and the guy would have achived exactly the same outcome had the female teachers in this school had have been armed..
    IMO it will take decades and decades to introduce new laws and havr the results of them start to show, but every journey starts with one step.
    I think it is not unreasonable that certain people who work in schools, stadiums, malls, etc. could be allowed to volunteer for special training to thwart this type of assault.

    To get a hunting license you have to pass a course.
    To get a concealed carry permit you have to pass a course.
    If there was another course (not necessarily a firearms course) - a very intensive course that addresses the psychology as well as the techniques required in a situation like that, and evaluates the suitability of the applicant - there could be people at the ready as soon as they hear the first indication of an assault.

    Put yourself in the school at the moment when shots were first heard coming through an outside door...

    What is going through your mind?
    "Gee, I hope that crazy person doesn't come this way."
    Then you pretty much lock the door and sit there until bullets start coming through it.
    That feeling is too helpless to imagine.
    Or do you start shoving kids out the window? Maybe there's someone waiting outside.
    Someone has to have an ability to defend themselves, or some mechanism within the building to isolate or incapacitate the assailant. That could be anything.

    We took a nearly 3 hr. hike with our 7 y.o. today. It was nice out, but we all got muddy anyway and she stepped in the river and the water went over her boot.
    My wife and I forgot about the tragedy for awhile, but it's still there when we got back.
    Still stewing. I need some exertion.

    -F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    I totally support non-criminals' rights to own guns, but I utterly detest the NRA.
    This kind of attitude is you're (USA's) biggest downfall. Do you realize, no, I mean do you FARKN realize there have been 90 school shootings (1996-2012) in the US? Do you realize because of your faked up rights that 231 children and teachers have lost their lives? Keep that mentality and that number of school shootings is going to rise and rise. A lot of people seem to value the right to bear arms more than their children, time to grow up, and this is coming from someone who works with a gun for a living. It's the non criminals who are the ones farking up, by not securing them. How the fark do children have access to guns?

    I just saw something disturbing on the news, guns sales in the US has gone up considerably since the shooting, lol, so now there are even more guns in circulation, in the hands of unresponsible owners.
    Last edited by SV11; 12-17-2012 at 07:19 AM.

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,905
    In my state you don't need any permit to carry a gun.

  15. #40
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,531
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    In my state you don't need any permit to carry a gun.
    Well this is just beyond comprehension, if this is the case then nobody has a right in Colorado to be upset at anybody else than the people that have the ability to make the laws and change them when another tragedy happens.
    its just beyond comprahension.
    Im not saying through having everybody have back ground checks can stop every tragedy but without rules like this its just a free for all.
    Ive also heard that in many US states you can buy guns even if you have a history of mental illness and there is no background checks at all, what sort of a society lets this occure?
    If these things are true, there not one iota of doubt the USA needs to get responsible and real about the way you do things in this area, maybe its time to listen to outsiders opinions because it seems that some of the law makers there have totally lost the plot and imo have blood on their hands and imo should be locked up themselves for enabling and not taking the responsibility to do their best to try and make their society a safer place.
    And i'll say it again, i am pro-gun, but pro-gun with a hell of alot of rules and regulation, and im pro taking away semi and automatic weapons from society BAR law enforcement that have the ability to cause mass carnage, because the only reason they were built is to do just that...
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    And i'll say it again, i am pro-gun, but pro-gun with a hell of alot of rules and regulation, and im pro taking away semi and automatic weapons from society BAR law enforcement that have the ability to cause mass carnage, because the only reason they were built is to do just that...
    I'm the same champ when it comes to pro-gun. Check out my vid.
    Barrett 98 Bravo - YouTube

    I'm pro gun only in a miltary/law enforcement capacity.
    Last edited by SV11; 12-17-2012 at 12:01 AM.

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rubicon73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Well this is just beyond comprehension, if this is the case then nobody has a right in Colorado to be upset at anybody else than the people that have the ability to make the laws and change them when another tragedy happens.
    its just beyond comprahension.
    Im not saying through having everybody have back ground checks can stop every tragedy but without rules like this its just a free for all.
    Ive also heard that in many US states you can buy guns even if you have a history of mental illness and there is no background checks at all, what sort of a society lets this occure?
    If these things are true, there not one iota of doubt the USA needs to get responsible and real about the way you do things in this area, maybe its time to listen to outsiders opinions because it seems that some of the law makers there have totally lost the plot and imo have blood on their hands and imo should be locked up themselves for enabling and not taking the responsibility to do their best to try and make their society a safer place.
    And i'll say it again, i am pro-gun, but pro-gun with a hell of alot of rules and regulation, and im pro taking away semi and automatic weapons from society BAR law enforcement that have the ability to cause mass carnage, because the only reason they were built is to do just that...
    Not sure where he got his info but that is false... Every retail purchase of a firearm must have at least an instant background check over the phone (most states are more thorough). The only exceptions are concealed carry license holders. There are millions of law abiding owners of firearms all across our country that have no issues with the law. Its a slippery slope when you start taking away liberties. Im in the military, and have carried a loaded 'assault' rifle for longer than I care to remember and its never jumped up and shot at anything without my action. Firearms, like hammers, cars, etc. are instruments of their operator. Thousands die each year in drunk driving incidents each year in our country... Do we strip liberties of automobiles from every American? Im not blind... I dont believe everyone has the maturity and capacity to own firearms, but those that enjoy the hobby should be allowed to own what they desire following proper checks.
    I ride faster than I should...

  18. #43
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    The second issue is gun laws and the availability of semi and automatic weapons and hand guns, but as this debate of gun control is very sensitive for some i'll leave it at that..
    Tone, I like you but that is Pandoras box and you should have never opened it . You certainly can't open it and then slam it shut.

    I have a lot of ideas on this subject as I am sure many people do, but there is no perfect solution.
    Last edited by kjlued; 12-17-2012 at 04:31 AM.

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    What is your suggestion? Instead of bashing like the hordes of others have done on both sides of the issue, why not offer a solution. I have stated my opinion without name calling those who do not agree with me. I stated my opinion respecting everyone on here.

    I have no problem with those whose opinion differs...gun ownership is a personal decision and if you don't believe you should own them, then it is your right to not own them.
    my suggestion would be to ban automatic weapons and hand guns. no one "needs" them. nothing wrong with hunting and owning weapons for that. arming everyone to "protect" them is hardly an answer. how do you keep simple matters and disagreements from escalating to murder when people are fully armed? that is your answer? in the heat of the moment during a simple argument, what happens when someone has a gun? why is it necessary to be armed always? who are we protecting ourselves from? the government?

  20. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    So we'll have to arm all teachers, then arm all employees in malls, then arm everyone at state fairs, then arm everyone walking on the sidewalk.

    It's ridiculous and not the answer.
    totally agree with that

  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon73 View Post
    Not sure where he got his info but that is false... Every retail purchase of a firearm must have at least an instant background check over the phone (most states are more thorough). The only exceptions are concealed carry license holders. There are millions of law abiding owners of firearms all across our country that have no issues with the law. Its a slippery slope when you start taking away liberties. Im in the military, and have carried a loaded 'assault' rifle for longer than I care to remember and its never jumped up and shot at anything without my action. Firearms, like hammers, cars, etc. are instruments of their operator. Thousands die each year in drunk driving incidents each year in our country... Do we strip liberties of automobiles from every American? Im not blind... I dont believe everyone has the maturity and capacity to own firearms, but those that enjoy the hobby should be allowed to own what they desire following proper checks.
    a gun has one purpose, to kill. a car is a means of transportation. hardly a comparison of liberties is it that you're using?

    there is nothing wrong with hunting and owning guns for doing it. who actually needs a handgun or assault rifle outside of the police or military? joe average hardly needs to be armed that way.

    but sadly, gun ownership and rights is just another form of religion. the believers won't listen to blasphemy denying their god, so ultimately, arguing about it is pointless despite the evidence (multiple school shootings) right in front of people.

  22. #47
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,509
    Since we are there, I would just like to say that in my view, absolutely no good comes out of the barrel of a gun, EVER. So we should do everything in our power to educate the people who think that we should be allowed to bear arms that this is just stupid. People say that they should be kept for hunting purposes, and I agree that this is a legitimate use, but there have been just too many instances of misuse of even these weapons, and really, hunting is more of a barbaric sport than a necessity these days. We have shown that in general we cannot be trusted. In my mind, the cons FAR outweigh the pros to this. These mass shootings are just the tip of the iceberg, and there are many more tragedies involving less people and guns. People argue that there are too many guns out there already, and it is just not practical to try and ban them, I call BS on this, MAKE A START! One tragedy avoided is a plus! As has been pointed out, after the Dunblane shooting in Scotland, stricter controls were put on handgun ownership in the UK, and there has not been a mass shooting of this kind since, and in Tasmania after the similar shooting in Port Arthur in '96, gun laws were significantly tightened, and there has been nothing similar since.
    Better access to effective mental health care is also much needed, since mental disease is reaching something like epidemic proportions, and has been stigmatised to the degree that most people are unwilling to talk about it without embarrassment. This is a disease of our age, much the same as AIDS, and we should be giving it as much attention as we can without prejudice. There are many better qualified people than I who have more facts about this, but I do not think I am too far off the mark when I say that these kids who perpetrate these acts of senseless violence would have been much less likely to commit these had they been afforded effective health care when really needed.
    The other thing that I want to bring up that I feel is hugely relevant, is the huge growth in violent video games. As a kid I played Cowboys and Indians with cap pistols, much like any other kid, but this was nothing compared to the obsessive indulgence I see in many children who spend hours and hours in front of some shoot em up game which is so very realistic! How can this NOT desensitize you to violence? Killing people becomes a game!?! This is just sick in my view. I feel I was misguided by playing my games when I was young, but I feel that we as adults should absolutely not allow our children to 'play' these things now. The video 'game' companies should not be allowed to create these twisted pieces of 'Entertainment'. We are becoming the audiences in the Hunger Games... I am even more shocked by parents who play these things. How can we encourage this? And, more to the point, how do we discourage this?

    Please excuse my rant, I know many of you disagree with my opinions, and that is OK, I only hope you can read them and try and understand what I am saying. I can only hope that our leaders will now finally do just that, and lead in a drive to do whatever necessary to eradicate this kind of senseless violence. Do we REALLY need guns in our homes, I do not think so. Do we REALLY need violent video games that twist our grasp on 'reality'? No, I do not think so either. Do we REALLY need a comprehensive overhaul of our mental health awareness, education and effective treatment? Absofu**kinglutely!
    It's all Here. Now.

  23. #48
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,531
    ^^^ Great post Rockerc, well articulated and thought out, i agree with your sentiments..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,905
    I grew up hunting. In Wyoming, which is the least-populated state in the coutnry, most kids grow up hunting deer, antelope, elk etc. I don't really hunt anymore. Not because I am against it, in fact hunting is absolutely necessary, but rather because I find more satisfaction from mountain biking. I know I don't need thirty rounds to take down bambi though. I also know an AK47 isn't really necessary. Like I said, you don't need a permit to carry a gun here (cannot carry one in bars, schools etc), in a state as rural as Wyoming the gun laws should be different than a more urban state such as New York. I just don't think I would be offended of assault weapons were banned or high-capacity magazine.

    What I hate about the media is that they think there are only two sides of this. They are usually shown as the stereo-type, the redneck who is militant about his right to carry guns, or the hippy super-liberal who wants all guns gone. The fact is most people are somewhere in the center.

    I also do not understand the obsession about guns. Some people almost worship them. I grew up to respect guns but we never had a gun obsession like so many. We were taught to be understanding about hunting to other who didn't understand it.

  25. #50
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,190
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    I grew up hunting. In Wyoming, which is the least-populated state in the coutnry, most kids grow up hunting deer, antelope, elk etc. I don't really hunt anymore. Not because I am against it, in fact hunting is absolutely necessary, but rather because I find more satisfaction from mountain biking. I know I don't need thirty rounds to take down bambi though. I also know an AK47 isn't really necessary. Like I said, you don't need a permit to carry a gun here (cannot carry one in bars, schools etc), in a state as rural as Wyoming the gun laws should be different than a more urban state such as New York. I just don't think I would be offended of assault weapons were banned or high-capacity magazine.

    What I hate about the media is that they think there are only two sides of this. They are usually shown as the stereo-type, the redneck who is militant about his right to carry guns, or the hippy super-liberal who wants all guns gone. The fact is most people are somewhere in the center.

    I also do not understand the obsession about guns. Some people almost worship them. I grew up to respect guns but we never had a gun obsession like so many. We were taught to be understanding about hunting to other who didn't understand it.
    Thought you didn't want to debate...

    To your original point, yes, it was great to get out on saturday morning and spend a few hours in the trees. Things like what happened friday make me understand why some people get off the grid.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •