Afric Pepperbird

Towing 5 x 8 Uhaul trailer cross country with small car

Hey all, thanks for answering my "traveling cross country with a cat" thread!

Now I ask, would you tow a 5 x 8 Uhaul trailer with a 2012 Hyundai Elantra, 4 cylinder, automatic?

My users manual, and various posters on Hyundai forums, advise against it. But Uhaul states my car can tow this trailer with about 1000 pounds of goods inside. I am worried about my engine! (and tranny, and brakes).

The trailer would only have one article of furniture, a wooden futon frame with mattress. All the rest of the items would be boxes. Oh, and two bikes.

It would be all freeway driving, and the only mountain passes I'd hit would be very minor passes.

Has anyone done something similar with a small car? Did your car survive okay?

Thanks again.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I'd advise against it for your transmission sake.

Look into shipping boxes of stuff via train. I did that before from Denver to San Diego.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Ride More, Work Less
    Call Uhaul (or check the website) and ask if the will let you tow it. They have all cars in a database and will determine which equipment they will let you use. They are very conservative for safety.

A better option would be to rent their smallest box truck and tow your car.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    This^^^. Don't put your car at risk. But I've done these kind of moves a few times and the cost of the U-haul is often more expensive then the cost of replacing the stuff inside. I don't know what's in your boxes, but the futon is easily replaced. Unless you are already down to stuff you can't live without, you could ship your bikes, and get what you can in the car.

Hell, you could probably buy an old van that would make the trip for less than the cost of renting a U-haul truck.

live long and huck
    X10. Also check Penske, although it was 6 years ago that I moved, Penske was way cheaper than uhaul. And if the price seems a little steep, compare it to the cost of killing your car. Although to be honest, I think Hyundai is Korean for "can haul a sh!t ton of stuff."

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    X10. Also check Penske, although it was 6 years ago that I moved, Penske was way cheaper than uhaul. And if the price seems a little steep, compare it to the cost of killing your car. Although to be honest, I think Hyundai is Korean for "can haul a sh!t ton of stuff."
    I've heard about your road trip moving adventures in the U-haul.

dirt farmer, it's the only way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I've heard about your road trip moving adventures in the U-haul.

dirt farmer, it's the only way to go!
    Yeah no worries dirt farmer you can always repair or replace the tranny when you get there.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Afric Pepperbird
    I said "screw it!" My brother wanted to make a road trip, so he is coming out with his Subaru Forrester to tow an even bigger Uhaul for me! Me (and my car) are forever grateful!

I will treat him to many Oregon microbrews

Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I said "screw it!" My brother wanted to make a road trip, so he is coming out with his Subaru Forrester to tow an even bigger Uhaul for me! Me (and my car) are forever grateful!

OR
    You could rent a U Haul van and a tow your car.
    OR
    Rent a U Haul van and your brother could drive your car out.
    Then he could fly back home.

live long and huck
    Or, you could rent a small uhaul truck, put a few hookers in the back, run a little mobile nookie service until you make enough to pay somebody to haul all your stuff for you. Then, get 1 fresh hooker, take her with you in the car for in trip snacks.
    Low and slack.

Rabid Lana fan
    Or, you could say "phuk it, this is too much trouble", and not move.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

Ride More, Work Less
    Or go old school and get a covered wagon and relive the Oregon trail experience in the reverse direction. From my memories of the apple IIe, bears will give plenty of food. Be careful fording rivers. And when in doubt, pay the ferry man.

****** to the dirt
    Jul 2012
    I am with heyall you could do a circle the wagons when you see roadies on the road.

Rabid Lana fan
    And when in doubt, pay the ferry man.
    But, "don't pay the Ferryman, until he gets you to the other side".

live long and huck
    No matter how you choose, just don't forget the hookers.
    Low and slack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Or go old school and get a covered wagon and relive the Oregon trail experience in the reverse direction. From my memories of the apple IIe, bears will give plenty of food. Be careful fording rivers. And when in doubt, pay the ferry man.
    Ooo, I'm thinking Mormon handcarts. Walk the Oregon trail pulling his bikes and his growlers. If he starts now, he could probably beat next winter. At least across the Rockies anyways.

Ride More, Work Less
    By hookers, do you mean golfers that have a pronounced inside out swing? Or swingers that are simply good with ball control.

Rabid Lana fan
    Amish hookers?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Or, you could rent a small uhaul truck, put a few hookers in the back, run a little mobile nookie service until you make enough to pay somebody to haul all your stuff for you. Then, get 1 fresh hooker, take her with you in the car for in trip snacks.
    I have Fresh Hooker's second and third CD. After that, they went down. Hill.
    What's the difference between red and green?

Apparently nothing if you’re on a bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    100k warrenty on the car, just remove the trailer wiring when the trip is over.

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Amish hookers?
    yes please, I have always wondered if a beard would tickle.

OR
    You could just leave all your shit behind and buy everything new once you get there.

Bring list:
    2 pair of underwear
    1 pair of jeans
    1 Tee shirt
    1 pair if shorts
    2 pairs of socks
    1 pair of sneakers
    1 bike
    1 helmet
    1 jersey
    1 pair of riding shorts
    1 pair of gloves
    1 pair of riding sock
    1 pizza
    1 - 6 pack of beer

Edit: 1 cat

Will all that fit in your Honda? Edit: Hyundai

Rabid Lana fan
    DJ, you forgot the cat.

Ride More, Work Less
    If he had a Honda, DJ's plan would have worked. Since the OP has a Hyundai, all bets are off.

DJ, you forgot the cat.
    Oh shit!
    If he had a Honda, DJ's plan would have worked. Since the OP has a Hyundai, all bets are off.
    Oh crap!

Rabid Lana fan
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Oh shit!
    That's one of the issues that needs to be addressed, when traveling with a cat.

Ride More, Work Less
    That's one of the issues that needs to be addressed, when traveling with a cat.
    Based on thread count, it is equally as important as how to get his car and belonging there.

I would say box the cat and strap it to the roof. I'm not a cat person, though. My golden retriever road in the front see of my truck across the country.

Based on thread count, it is equally as important as how to get his car and belonging there.

I would say box the cat and strap it to the roof. I'm not a cat person, though. My golden retriever road in the front see of my truck across the country.
    I gave my dog the whole back seat with a cup of food and a cup of water in the middle console cup holders. He thanked me but also needed a few more pit stops than usual.

Ride More, Work Less

Towing 5 x 8 Uhaul trailer cross country with small car

Perhaps this is for the cat thread, one of the bigger issues is how to travel with pets and sleep overnight at motels. Many didn't allow pets. Those that did didn't appear to be as secure as one would like.

Perhaps this is for the cat thread, one of the bigger issues is how to travel with pets and sleep overnight at motels. Many didn't allow pets. Those that did didn't appear to be as secure as one would like.
    My X and I were evacuated from our house during some So. Cal. wildfires moving through the area. After a lengthy 8 hour. search throughout all of San Diego county we finally found a hotel with some vacancies. They had a no pet rule so we didn't let on that we had some. We snuck in 2 cages with 4 rabbits, a lizard in an aquarium and our dog. We got lucky our door faced the back parking lot and just 200' from the beach. Sneaking in and out with the dog was a challenge but they never caught on that we had critters.

Penis Goat!
    A coworker's friend hauled one of those across most of the country (AZ to IN) in a '94 Accord. Didn't affect it and the car's fine.

since 4/10/2009
    Stay away from Uhaul, too. I have had friends whose Uhaul trucks had MAJOR mechanical failures, which required abandonment of the vehicle along the side of the road in the middle of the night. Uhaul refused assistance, so they managed to find other truck rental companies so they could move their stuff to a new truck (in the middle of the night).

I have personally driven Penske trucks across the country (PA to TX and TX to IN) and they've been great. Trucks have been clean and rather new, and were also extremely competitively priced. Can't remember if they were cheaper or not, but I was thrilled to have nearly new trucks for both moves instead of the chance I'd wind up with an ancient junker from Uhaul.

Last time was with a 26 footer. I'd rather not rent a truck that big in the future, but we have some nicer furniture that we really like.

Also, on a previous move, Uhaul rented me whatever their biggest double axle trailer was, for me to tow behind my little 4cyl manual tranny Ford Ranger. I expressed misgivings about the capability of my truck to pull that thing from MI to PA, and the Uhaul people kept saying it was fine. Psh. There's no way their "system" is conservative. My truck physically couldn't go faster than 60mph and the stopping distance was obscene. The only thing that saved me on that front was that the trailer had a surge brake.

live long and huck
    Bestiality motels let you bring pets in. They accept cash too.
    Low and slack.

Ride More, Work Less
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Stay away from Uhaul, too. I have had friends whose Uhaul trucks had MAJOR mechanical failures, which required abandonment of the vehicle along the side of the road in the middle of the night. Uhaul refused assistance, so they managed to find other truck rental companies so they could move their stuff to a new truck (in the middle of the night).

I have personally driven Penske trucks across the country (PA to TX and TX to IN) and they've been great. Trucks have been clean and rather new, and were also extremely competitively priced. Can't remember if they were cheaper or not, but I was thrilled to have nearly new trucks for both moves instead of the chance I'd wind up with an ancient junker from Uhaul.

Last time was with a 26 footer. I'd rather not rent a truck that big in the future, but we have some nicer furniture that we really like.

Also, on a previous move, Uhaul rented me whatever their biggest double axle trailer was, for me to tow behind my little 4cyl manual tranny Ford Ranger. I expressed misgivings about the capability of my truck to pull that thing from MI to PA, and the Uhaul people kept saying it was fine. Psh. There's no way their "system" is conservative. My truck physically couldn't go faster than 60mph and the stopping distance was obscene. The only thing that saved me on that front was that the trailer had a surge brake.
    Interesting, my local uhaul is very different with trailers. Maybe it depends on the local management.

As for truck quality, yes, most of the uhaul fleet looks like it is straight out of the junk yard.

So Dirt Farmer what was your final decision on how to get your stuff from point A to point B ?

And have you made the trip yet?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

gobsmacked Moderator
    Don't get dysentery!

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    So Dirt Farmer what was your final decision on how to get your stuff from point A to point B ?

And have you made the trip yet?
    As mentioned above, my bro is coming out to do the "dirty work".

Thanks for caring!

mtbr member
    Who the heck wants a futon bed anyway?! A couple of pallets with a duvet on top.

Or a cat. Dump it. Leave it the pallet bed, sooth your conscience.

Please tell me Bestiality motels are not real? :0. I'm getting all sorts of mental pictures and few are good.