Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tool, the band

Sweat is just fat crying.

Tool, the band

There's a pretty cool thread going on the NorKal board about favorite live shows, and it blew me away how many people mentioned Tool; how great they were/are live. Now, I'm a fan, but I've never seen them live, unfortunately. As incredible as they are, I've gotten a little tired of their recorded output and have longed for another band to come along that sounds similar to spark my interest in the genre. Been looking for a while, and have come across a couple of wanna-bes, but no dice. Today, I am listening to a band called Anciients (Heart Of Oak) that is very Tool-like, and I am digging the sh!t out of them. If you like Tool, check them out, they are very similar, without being a clone. They are very much their own band.

Bla bla bla. The purpose of this post (besides maybe turning you on to another awesome band besides Tool), is to ask, have you heard any other bands that sound similar to Tool? Spill the beans!

If someone could post a link to the NorKal thread, that would be most awesome. I believe it's called
    OT: the best live band

Yours in music,

fp
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 5 Days Ago at 05:39 PM. Reason: Seen, not seem
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Front Range, Colorado
    Well Finch I can only listen to Tool for half a song before I get burnt out. Every song sounds the same as you can say about many bands. But for some reason they just irritate me pretty quick into listening to them.

DJ
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Well Finch I can only listen to Tool for half a song before I get burnt out. Every song sounds the same as you can say about many bands. But for some reason they just irritate me pretty quick into listening to them.

DJ
    Bummer. More for me.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    I watched them 3 different times, years ago. The most memorable was at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia, small venue that was packed to the gill with all kinds of people. Maynard was all blue with glowing orange dots that started on his forehead and went all the way down his spine.....definitely a stink fist moment! 

Edit: the date was 11/23/1996.
    You had whiskey this whole time!

mtbr member
    I saw them at a big festival a few years back, and I'm still kicking myself for not making the effort to go see them when they were here not so long ago (f*****g mid-week concerts!).

As for other bands who sound like then, haven't heard anything even remotely close...

I eat cats
    I loved Tool when they first came out, I rememember the hidden tracks on the CD/album with 'Sober' on it.

I saw them at Lallapolooza in '97 and the lead singer (Maynard?) had fake boobs and was dressed like a chick. My buddy and I took a couple chicks out to the then Blockbuster Pavilion inland in So Cal and we made the mistake of buying a couple joints off some wigged out dude in the parking lot after pounding beers and peppermint Schnapps. We smoked one and went in and all immediately started tripping so we did the smart thing and smoked the other one. They had to have been dipped in something because this wasn't our first time smoking by any means and **** got weird.

It was hot on the way there and while there then on the way back, after sundown, we were all freezing in my buddy's wrangler with no top or doors going down the freeway for an hour+ to get home. I kept the chick I brought warm in the tiny back seat though. Thx for bringing back memories, it was a good time.

Don't look down here...

Awesome story, my man!

Keep 'em coming!

mtbr member
    I've never seen them live. I've been waiting for them to team up with Linkin Park for the Park Tool Tour.

Seriously though, I'd really love to catch Godsmack again as it's been ages since I've seen them.
    Greg

2014 Haro FLC 29 Comp
    2009 Red Line MX-24
    1980 Red Line Pro-Line old-school cool

The White Jeff W
    I cant think of any bands that have that Tool flavor but other bands in that general genre (heavy progressive rock) that I like are Opeth (check out Blackwater Park), Dream Theater (Train of Thought) & some Porcupine Tree (Fear of a Blank Planet & In Absentia )
    No moss...

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    I loved Tool when they first came out, I rememember the hidden tracks on the CD/album with 'Sober' on it.

I saw them at Lallapolooza in '97 and the lead singer (Maynard?) had fake boobs and was dressed like a chick. My buddy and I took a couple chicks out to the then Blockbuster Pavilion inland in So Cal and we made the mistake of buying a couple joints off some wigged out dude in the parking lot after pounding beers and peppermint Schnapps. We smoked one and went in and all immediately started tripping so we did the smart thing and smoked the other one. They had to have been dipped in something because this wasn't our first time smoking by any means and **** got weird.

It was hot on the way there and while there then on the way back, after sundown, we were all freezing in my buddy's wrangler with no top or doors going down the freeway for an hour+ to get home. I kept the chick I brought warm in the tiny back seat though. Thx for bringing back memories, it was a good time.
    I've had mixed results buying product at shows. Sometimes its a bust. But other times, well, far out man! But that was long ago. I don't know what you can get at shows these days.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Gordon, that was the "hooker with a penis" outfit. He had this outfit on at Lolla at the Starlake in Pittsburgh and his shirt said free Frances Bean.
    You had whiskey this whole time!

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by 80Pro-Line View Post
    I've never seen them live. I've been waiting for them to team up with Linkin Park for the Park Tool Tour.

Seriously though, I'd really love to catch Godsmack again as it's been ages since I've seen them.
    Now Godsmack I love.
    Back in 2006' my X girlfriend and I flew to Green Bay for her brothers wedding. On our way back we had a layover in Chicago. We had some time to waste so we hit up the airport bar. After we got a table she went to the rest room. When she came back she says "there's a group of guys up at the bar and one was staring big time at me". I'm like yeah you're a beautiful woman you should be used to that. She says "well he looks really familiar and a I think I know him" "but don't worry he's too short anyway" joking. I'm like whatever we are 2000 miles away from California I doubt you know him. So we're sitting and drinking for awhile and she keeps saying he's staring at her and she feels like she knows him. All of a sudden she freaks out and says "no way that's Sully the lead singer from Godsmack and that's the band" "what? No way" she knew because we as a couple always listened to them. I look over still not convinced I said I'm going to check this dude out. As she's grabbing me and saying "no". Well I wiggled out of her grasp and went up to the bar, I went right up next to them and ordered a drink. They smelled of body odor and they were all dressed up in leather. I got a good look at him and confirmed it was him and it was obvious they had just played because they stunk. I'm pretty brave and just turned to him and said "your Sully huh? "He said "yes but let's not let everybody in the bar know". As we both laughed as I turned and said "nice to meet you" and walked back to our table. "Yep that's Godsmack over there" as she's freaking and asking me what I said to him. She thought I confronted him for checking her out. Ha,ha "no I just asked if he was a Sully and he said yes". She was so embarrassed we left the bar. Pretty cool experience though. And yes he's very short.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Prime
    I've posted this before, but very worthy of a repost.

I eat cats
    ^ So rad! I remember that one, the drummer is awesome.

Don't look down here...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Seen Tool back in the day..been a while, the last show I saw was either San Diego or Santa Barbara bowl. I can remember LA they played some of the first Southpark episodes @ intermission (before they were on TV)...anyway I know their drummer has another band, not exactly the same sound though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    I liked them around the Undertow/Aenima days, but wasn't that excited by them (probably in part because a couple of friends were crazy about them and would continually thrash the albums!). I think they are one band who (unlike so many others) have continually gotten better with each album. Their newer stuff just sounds so much deeper, more complex, more mature than their early stuff, IMO.

Bring on the Down Hill!!
    I have been a Tool fan for years. I finally got to see them live 2 yrs ago for the first time. What an amazing show. I loved every minute BUT I can see how it isn't for everyone. You are blown away by presence and talent and not by antics or on stage craziness. I tried had to think of another band that is similar but really can't help you. Their biggest influence is King Crimson but most of their music is very dated and not recorded to be "heavy" sounding so most people under 40 won't really appreciate it but check it out and see if you hear the influence.

mtbr member
    Maynard is god!

CEO Product Failure
    I share the OP's sentiments on Tool. Great, great band to listen to. Closest I've heard lately is the band "Hurt". Check out Hurt Vol1 & 2 on iTunes or wherever for a sample.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    I'm OGT. 92. First EP.

If you like Tool, pick up this album
    http://www.amazon.com/In-Absentia-Po.../dp/B00006IU73

Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    I'm OGT. 92. First EP.

If you like Tool, pick up this album
    Amazon.com: Porcupine Tree: In Absentia: Music
    Got almost all of Porky Twee's discs, along with a few Steven Wilson solo discs, Gavin Harrison solo discs, No-Man, etc.

Yeah, they had a good run there for a while. Saw them live with Opeth opening. Not an Opeth fan. :/

mtbr member
    A Perfect Circle

> /dev/null 2&>1

Tool, the band

Nice! I've got the Steve Wilson solos too. I'm listening to Grace For Drowning now. I'll check out Gavin Harrison. Did you ever check out backfield?

mtbr member
    We saw Tool in Canada at the Molson Amphitheater for their 10,000 Days Tour. I've been hooked since.

Furthermore, Danny Carey's drumming raises the bar significantly for all who drum. I spent a good deal of that show trying to get a closer view of him and his kit. The polyrhythms that he concocts are simply amazing to listen to, let alone play.

Bands that sound like Tool? You can always refer to Perfect Circle and Puscifer though both are basically spin-offs of Tool. Prog rock bands will have a similar vibe as Tool, or better yet, go check out some King Crimson who carry a large influence on them.
    Life will pound away where the light don't shine, son...

mtbr member
    A combo of Danny Carey explaining band dynamics and some of his playing (Hooker with a P*nis)...

Life will pound away where the light don't shine, son...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast