Thread: Toast Anyone!!

Front Range, Colorado

Toast Anyone!!

Looks like this guy is toast. This has been posted in several frums for about three weeks. But it now looks like they have found a Craigslist add advertising the bike. Check out the crooks photo and see if you recognize him. Go to the end of the thread to see the Craigslist add.

Go here for full story.

Stolen titanium Salsa Mukluk

Heres his wanted poster and a photo of the bike. And heres the Craigslist add.2013 Salsa fat bike titanium large
    Bike Thief.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Toast Anyone!!-bike.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

check your six
    That is good news!! Cheers!
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

~Disc~Golf~
    $5000?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    $5000?

They aint cheap.

mtbr member
    He forgot to say .. " must sell 'quickly' , I need to get to Colorado to visit my sick Grandmother "

I'm your density
    How stupid do you have to be...
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    — Ty Webb

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    He forgot to say .. " must sell 'quickly' , I need to get to Colorado to visit my sick Grandmother "
    Ha,ha the first thing I thought when I read his add, hey it's missing "must sell fast".
    Obviously we're not dealing with a rocket scientist here. How many mistakes has he made so far. Smile here's my mug shot. Here's my Craigslist list add including identical bags.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    They aint cheap.
    They also aren't $5k

fashion ho
    Good to hear the bike was recovered. I hope the thief will get run over by a Greyhound bu... I mean, get in authority's custody ASAP.

Front Range, Colorado
    They also aren't $5k
    So a titanium frame with all high end part's isn't 5K. I would have thought more.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    So a titanium frame with all high end part's isn't 5K. I would have thought more.
    High-end parts... I don't see it - $1,400 over the base?

Front Range, Colorado
    High-end parts... I don't see it - $1,400 over the base?
    I can't tell the parts group on my little cell phone screen. But here's one built up to $4200. So either that one has a better group or the price was inflated for insurance reasons.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Front Range, Colorado

Update"

So here's an update. The guy tried selling the bike to several shops in the bay area. One finally took the bait. They paid him $200 in cash and ta $2000 check. The bank called the shop ownner saying there was a guy trying to cash the check without an I.D.

The shop owner put a stop payment on the check. So the scumbag is still on the lose and he only got $200. And apparently from what has been dug up on him he's a pretty shady character. Go here for full update on the whole story. Very interesting what has transpired. plattyjo » A Tale of Two Bike Thieves
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    . They paid him $200 in cash and ta $2000 check.
    What kinda f'd up bike shop would buy a stolen bike??? .... this wasnt planned on their part to help catch the guy. Because they didnt do anything until the bank called..
    If the guy had ID... he'd be scot free and the cycle continues for him to do what he's been doing.
    That Bike shop needs a slap or two. they are unscrupulous.

Front Range, Colorado
    What kinda f'd up bike shop would buy a stolen bike??? .... this wasnt planned on their part to help catch the guy. Because they didnt do anything until the bank called..
    If the guy had ID... he'd be scot free and the cycle continues for him to do what he's been doing.
    That Bike shop needs a slap or two. they are unscrupulous.
    The bike shop didn't know it was stolen. The bank called and that's when they realized something was fishy. So they put a stop payment on the check.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Bikes are a "Hot" commodity. And they know that.
    They just went by his werd that he was the original owner without documentation??.. he didnt even have ID for cryin out loud !
    That Bike shop is F'd up.

Front Range, Colorado

For those too lazy to open the link, here ya go.

Fishbucket after reading that again I agree with you. Why would the bike shop sell a bike to someone without an I.D.
    I bolded the bike exchange with the shop.
    ***The Professional Con Artist*** By Jenny Oh HatfieldOn October 9, 2013
    I often check the most recent tweets sent from @SFPDBikeTheft, the Twitter account managed by Ofc. Matt Friedman. He’s usually sharing the latest news about stolen bikes, and one of his retweets originally posted by Huckleberry Bicycles caught my attention.

This tweet set off the chain of events from the past two days.
    When I clicked on the link, it took me to a post on mtbr.com that was asking for help locating a Mr. Sean Osborne: “Do you know this douchebag? He stole a 2013 titanium Salsa Mukluk from the Gear Exchange in Glenwood Springs, CO. He had been hanging around Glenwood Springs the last few days hanging around the Gear Exchange and watching us play bike polo. He said his name was Sean. He’s about 6’7″ tall and wears glasses and usually a black under armor baseball hat. He has two eyes tattooed on the back of his neck and a Ducati Tattoo on his leg. We think he’s from Denver, so we wanted to post his picture on the front range forum. Very rarely does someone have a picture of the person that stole from them so we’re trying to take advantage and reach as many cyclists as we can.”

If you see him, please call the police ASAP.
    So I shared the information on my social media accounts, and soon afterwards comments from bike shop employees from all over the Bay Area flooded in. He had tried selling the Salsa over the weekend and apparently had made the rounds at over 6 bike shops (but had no takers.) I then tried calling Gear Exchange in Colorado to warn them that Sean was in San Francisco. As they were closed (and their answering machine didn’t accept messages), I managed to locate the original poster of the listing on mtbr.com on Facebook (I assumed he was a part of their staff, but he’s actually a good friend of the employees), and he put me in touch with Randy — one of Gear Exchange’s owners.

We spoke at length on the phone, and I learned more than I wanted to know about this troubled individual. His primary MO is to con people out of their money (or steal their stuff) under the guise of friendship; if he’s not doing that, he’s usually trying to get laid. (I’m not going to include any links here to his unsavory exploits online, but he’s left quite a trail of bad behavior that’s easy to dig up. One friend emailed me research he conducted over several hours and believe me, you don’t want this guy coming anywhere near your female friends and relatives.)

Randy was already aware that Sean was in the Bay Area and had been working with local authorities to try and track him down. They’d had no success thus far, as Sean kept posting and removing his ads on Craigslist. The police weren’t able to move quickly enough to apprehend him (or devote enough resources to the case.) I told Randy I’d try to put him in touch with Ofc. Friedman and other officers to see if they could expedite matters.

Trying to con the con artist.
    In the meantime, I decided to email Sean myself to see if I could establish contact. Based on my conversation with Randy, I sent two anonymous emails as women. One mentioned a boyfriend and was pretty straightforward, “Hey, is this bike available, I’d like to buy this for my boyfriend.” No response. The second email omitted “the boyfriend” and was purposefully written with more casual syntax. I called myself “Carla” with the email username “carlaagame”. I received a response immediately and he said the bike was still available. When I sent him a reply via email, he went silent. So I set up a fake Google voice account and began texting him. He immediately responded again, so we began texting and I assumed my fake “Carla” personality. We set a date to meet the following evening at 6PM in front of Amoeba Records, and SFPD would run an undercover sting operation.

2nd round of messages: mission aborted.
    The next morning, I received a call from Randy saying the bike had been found. A shop down in the South Bay had bought it from Sean for $2200: $200 in cash and the rest of the balance with a check. “When [the shop owner] got a call from his bank that a guy without an ID was trying to cash the check, he got suspicious and stopped payment. He then had one of his shop employees search the Internet for a stolen bike like the one they had and our post [on mtbr.com] showed up — which is how he got our number…He notified local authorities and instructed his employees to tell Sean he can come back in tomorrow and get cash since there was a bank error…if he shows back up at the shop today.”

After conferring with Ofc. Friedman, I decided to text Sean one more time as if nothing had transpired and confirm our meeting. Surprisingly, Sean agreed to meet up but emphasized to “bring cash and no checks.” Ofc. Friedman rounded up a tactical squad to perform the undercover operation, and I biked over to Park Station to meet with his team. I lent the female officer posing as “Carla” my phone so she could continue texting him and relayed all of the smarmy info about Sean I had acquired over the past 24 hours. After they headed out, I nervously listened in to their radio communications as they got into position at Amoeba (they had graciously left me with one so I could monitor the situation as it unfolded in real time). They mostly chatted with each other using indecipherable codes, but 10 minutes after the designated meeting time, I could tell they weren’t going to arrest him. Sean had decided to flake at the last minute and despite the best efforts of “Carla” to convince him otherwise, he was a no-show. Maybe he was thinking of robbing “me” earlier and got cold feet, or got suspicious, or he decided to just cut his losses and run. For whatever reason, he changed his mind and may be headed out of town. (I’m guessing Los Angeles, Portland or Seattle would be next on his list.)

Sean has already served time at San Quentin for prior crimes and has a national warrant out for his arrest. So if you see him, call the police right away. And spread the word to your local bicycle shops (as well as motorcycle shops, that’s the other community he rolls in) to be on the lookout for him. Hopefully one of these days his misdeeds will catch up to him and he’ll be sent back to prison.
    By Jenny Oh HatfieldOn October 9, 2013
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    He then had one of his shop employees search the Internet for a stolen bike

He should have done that first !. when he was having the guy write an affidavit as being the owner, while they were Photo Copying his ID... Oh that's right.. He didnt have ID..

Bad bad business.... I will search for the Shop's name and be sure to never step foot in there.

[/end

Front Range, Colorado
    He should have done that first !. when he was having the guy write an affidavit as being the owner, while they were Photo Copying his ID... Oh that's right.. He didnt have ID..

Bad bad business.... I will search for the Shop's name and be sure to never step foot in there.

[/end
    Yup! he does the deal then after the bank calls about the guy not having an I.D. then after the fact "He then had one of his shop employees search the Internet for a stolen bike" Not too smart of a business owner.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Man they dug up some bad crap on him. Hope they catch him soon before he scams anyone else.