Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    official eMpTyBRain

Tell us about your avatar

Tell us about your avatar. What does it mean to you?

My current avatar is self-explanatory (since I once suffered from an epic fail). I saw it hanging on the wall of the garage at another member's house and I figured it would be a funny one to use.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

re member
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

EMBA Member
    Early morning ride at one of my favorite places, sunrise behind my back, hills illuminated but valley in shade, fog on the ground...photo op!

Trail Prospector
    For one who loves nothing more than finding, and exploring new trails.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    It's mah biek.

mtbr member
    Mmmmmm Beer!!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    It was my first ride out I stopped to take a break and there was this beautiful beam of sun coming thru the trees so I put my bike by if for a picture. If you stop sometimes you can really see the beauty around you.
    A back flip! Hulk Hogan eat your heartout!!

mtbr member
    Ivan Vasilevich
    De oppresso liber

mtbr member
    My current avatar is character from a Japanese anime series that I like called Ergo Proxy. You actually watch it on YouTube which is where I viewed it from.
    Ergo Proxy (TV Series 2006? ) - IMDb

pin it
    My original avatar on MTBR (2008) was Rocky (my tough, smart, curious and fun little JRT)

Tell us about your avatar-pa134740.jpg

I hit a rough patch in my life in 2010. Despite the serious health issues and 2 1/2 years of aggressive treatments I kept riding and tried to carry on as normally as I could. In the fall of 2011 Chris "singlesprocket" took this pic and I posted it in a thread on the Eastern Canada Forum to show my attempt to grow a moustache for Movember. I replaced my Rocky avatar because it represented me better. Rocky died last year at age 18 but his spirit lives on

photo PA290317.jpg

Seems like my expression hasn't changed much

photo P1012417_zpsa0a857f1.jpg

September 2014
    Tell us about your avatar-10626798_563380073791005_4408244275161612205_n.jpg

I'm going to try to grow another moustache (although I've never been very hairy) .. but I may cheat and draw one on with a sharpie instead
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Mr Pig started as a nickname only used by my wife. Back in the early days I used to noise her up, as you do, and she would yell 'You're a pig!'. To which I would reply 'Excuse me, that's Mr Pig to you', which calmed her down no end ;0) It just stuck.

So the nickname is about twenty-five years old. None of my friends are aware of it, it is still only used by my wife, often abbreviated to Pig. In fact she rarely uses my actual name, I am spoken to as Pig most of the time!

So when I started posting on internet forums I used it, seemed to fit. I've never posted on a forum under any other name and refuse to do so. If the user-name is taken I won't join the forum.

The sunglasses are a new addition, added on here to differentiate me from another poster with the same avatar. Been meaning to add them for a while though as they are appropriate as well. I have a pair of RayBan Wayfairer sunglasses exactly like those which I've had for thirty years and wear a lot as my eyes are quite sensitive to bright light. I'd like to buy another pair, they are getting loose, but the lager size are harder to find and there are so many fakes and odd variations around these days, I just want black ones.

I used to wear them cycling until someone pointed out that crashing wearing glass in front of your eyes might not be too clever...

Hermit
    Mine is a pic of me surfing on Slippery Rock Creek, PA.

The guy who took the picture, another kayaker, was a really good dude. He died a couple of years after the pic was taken, of a heart attack on the trail beside that creek.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    This is from the Retro Grouch Moto Club, now dwindling away.

The RGMC has many principles that align with my own attitude towards bicycling, and life in general.

Some parts of the pledge I remember:

No Titanium. Period.
    Suspension on one wheel only.
    Nothing in the water bottle except for water.
    Must listen to Neil Young, once a year minimum.
    Facial hair of some type.

In order to receive a glow-in-the-dark skull to be attached to our bicycles, we had to pledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Buffet, founder of R.G.M.C.
    Mountain bikers are from Mars - Roadies are from Uranus

by Len Bruffett copyright 2003

Not all cyclist are cut from the same spandex. Until now it was unknown exactly what cerebral differences existed between mountain bikers and roadies. Neuroscientist Dr. Richard Kopf from Stanford has unlocked the mystery. Through advances in medical digital imaging (high powered MRIs with hyperspectral sensors) and new physiographic profiling techniques, he has accurately mapped "mental function" to distinct regions of the the cyclist brain. The two primary subjects for his report come from two families of cyclist: mountain bikers and roadies. Cyclocross and touring riders are a convoluted mixture that to this day baffle modern science.

As the two images graphically depict, the primary differences are obvious. Mountain bikers posses a full complement of gray matter ( about three pounds), while roadies usually only have a half a pound. At first glance this open cavity, normally occupied by the cerebrum, appears as a useless void. But the power of the human body to adapt and overcome physical challenges has once again surprised neuroscientist. Dr. Kopf has found that this open space is utilized as a water cistern, much like the hump on a camels back, it stores and supplies water to the body for cellular hydration.

The absence of a Cerebrum does tend to limit the intelligence found in roadies, but the Corpus Callosum (the nerve endings that normally transfer information between the two cerebral hemispheres) has adapted and transformed it's function. It now serves as the location of their intellect.

The Cerebellum, which controls movement of the body through space (muscle tone related to posture, balance and equilibrium), is somewhat atrophied in roadies. Lets face it, when compared to the mental requirements of mountain biking, (picking a clean line on single track through rocks and roots), following a white line painted on asphalt is a mind numbing cakewalk!

Because only a portion of the roadies Cerebellum is used for reflex and equilibrium, other (not necessarily normal) behavior traits have manifest. For instance, roadies have an enlarged segment of the Cerebellum that exhibits a lack of control over the fear of dirt, mud and sand (Tera Phobia).

The mountain biker brain is not without its disorders. A distinct region of their Cerebrum causes a deep feeling of anxiety if not sufficiently stimulated. This region is defined as the "Purple Ano". If the mountain biker doesn't see, smell or touch enough purple anodized aluminum hardware on his bike he displays irrational behavior and is likely to suffer bouts of extended depression.

A second region associated with disorder is the Hypothalamus (upper brain stem). This region is responsible for regulating the appetite and body weight. If for some reason the mountain biker has absorbed too much titanium in his body (either through contaminated water supply or fondling titanium hardware at the bike shop), a "twisted" signal occurs between food consumption and titanium craving. The overt symptom is an obscene need for titanium bolts, nuts and components. the mountain biker will suffer delusions, believing that the more titanium he owns, the lighter he will be and the faster he can ride.

Neuroscience is never absolute. Dr. Kopf observed that the titanium induced disorder occasionally crossed over to roadies and that "Tera Phobia" also appears in some individuals that claim to be mountain bikers. We've all seen those "dirt free" posers hanging around the bagel and coffee houses on Saturday mornings! As science and technology continue to unlock the enigma of the cyclist brain, mankind reaps the benefit. No, this knowledge won't generate world peace. But understanding more about the cyclist brain will help promote a higher tolerance toward those cyclist who display less than normal behavior.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tell us about your avatar-rgmc.jpg  

rod skinner
    Oct 2005
    I operated a tiny sewage treatment plant in a little north coast town many years ago. My dear friend gave me the nick name "norton", based on the character Ed Norton from the T.V. show, the Honeymooners.

mtbr member
    Random, yet entertaining to me.
    Get me the knuckles of Frisco..

Meatbomb
    I keep Avatars and Signatures turned off so i don't even remember what mine is.

see me rollin, they hatin
    I'm romantic.
    fap

Retro on Steroids
    It's the Rolls-Royce logo. Repack Rider
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I keep Avatars and Signatures turned off so i don't even remember what mine is.
    It's a picture of you, masturbating a German Shepard.

ali'i hua
    one of my favorite beers and whatnot.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    It's a picture of you, masturbating a German Shepard.
    Oh good.. I was afraid it was something embarrassing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Oh good.. I was afraid it was something embarrassing.
    Na, you're good.

Although how you got it to do that with its mouth at the same time I have no idea!

mtbr member
    Mine is from the video game Portal.

From Urban Dictionary:

"The cake is a lie"

Roughly translates to "your promised reward is merely a fictitious motivator". Popularized by the game "Portal" (found on Half-Life 2's "Orange Box" game release for PC, X-Box 360, and PS3). During the game, an electronic voice encourages you to solve intricate puzzles using cake as a motivating perk. When you have "broken out" of the game's initial testing phase (from threat of death), you find scrawls on walls of the innards of the testing center warning you that "the cake is a lie".
    The cake is a lie.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    My original avatar on MTBR (2008) was Rocky (my tough, smart, curious and fun little JRT)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA134740.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	924666

I hit a rough patch in my life in 2010. Despite the
    serious health issues and 2 1/2 years of aggressive
    treatments I kept riding and tried to carry on as
    normally as I could. In the fall of 2011 Chris
    "singlesprocket" took this pic and I posted it in a
    thread on the Eastern Canada Forum to show my
    attempt to grow a moustache for Movember. I
    replaced my Rocky avatar because it represented
    me better. Rocky died last year at age 18 but his
    spirit lives on

photo <br />
PA290317.jpg

Seems like my expression hasn't changed much

target="_blank"> photo P1012417_zpsa0a857f1.jpg

September 2014
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10626798_563380073791005_4408244275161612205_n.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	924668

I'm going to try to grow another moustache (although I've never been very hairy) .. but I may cheat and draw one on with a sharpie instead
    Judy / Cycleicious you are an inspiration. Never stop smiling.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 1 Day Ago at 12:19 PM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^Rock Garden

I'm your density
    Mine is a random walk.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast