Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tattoo Logic?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Tattoo Logic?

First let me start by saying I have wanted a tattoo for long time. No idea of what, just something artistic that looks awesome. I'm starting this thread because I wanted to know what everyone's thought process was for initially getting a tattoo.

My GF has a moderate sized tattoo clearly visible on her arm and proudly displays it for everyone to see. She's always getting questions and compliments about it! I guess I'm sort of jealous of this and want a tattoo to stand out from other people and I guess seek attention and fall into the 'I have a tattoo' persona. This is also kind of the reason I don't want a tattoo. I don't want to get a tattoo just to stand out and seek attention from other people. I want to get it for me and I want it to have some kind of a meaning. I guess I would feel like a poser if I had a tattoo? Is the only motivation getting a tattoo in a clearly visible place to show it off to other people and attract attention? As you can see I am quite confused!

What was your thought process tattoo owners?!

re member
    I would go see your LTS, and inquire about entry level tatoos. It might not be wise to dump a metric ton of money on a high-end tatoo, only to find out later that tatoos aren't really your thing.

What ever you do, stay away from the big-box store tatoos, those things will get you hurt!
    Rocktoberfest 2014 edit here
    Rocktoberfest 2014 clips here

passed out in your garden
    I was in your position ~20yrs ago, so l got my family crest tattooed on my shoulder (back), best of both worlds, l like it because its my name, and people only see it if l want them to (ie; take my shirt off), but l never remember it there anymore, and my scars are more interesting anyway (several crashes)
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

Meatbomb
    Think about your career path when deciding where to place the ink. I have a buddy that got a tattoo on his neck that he now wishes he had not since he has entered the corporate world.

Trailhead Poseur
    Logic tattoos? Definitely an XOR gate schematic.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

AZ
    banned

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Tattoo Logic?

I'm in the corporate world already so I wouldn't get anything that displayed publicly without being able to cover it up.

I guess I'm kind of turned of of the whole process of trying to find something I really love and would like to display FOREVER. I can talk myself out of buying a pair of pants so I don't know if I ever could make a decision on a tattoo!

I also have many scars too! Much more interesting stories in my opinion!

I guess I just wanted to know people's thought processes on wanting to pursue a tattoo. Whether for attention seeking, deep meaning, artistic reasons, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    i got one....i like it.

if you 're not sure you should not get one...

you do not sound very sure if you're comparing pants shopping to getting a tattoo

my .02
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

I didn't do it
    Agree with Chum, if you gotta ask then no.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    More college entering 18 year olds have tattoos than those who don't. Tatts are pretty much the mainstream these days. Cool factor decreasing rapidly.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    More college entering 18 year olds have tattoos than those who don't. Tatts are pretty much the mainstream these days. Cool factor decreasing rapidly.
    No tats is becoming rebellious these days.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nwbikur View Post
    No tats is becoming rebellious these days.
    Oh really:

http://tv.yahoo.com/video/dint-meteo...195639270.html

I didn't do it
    Lol, she and her tattoo don't seem too rebellious at all.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Tattoo Logic?

Hahaha yes I get what you're saying! Looks like I might have to rely on my scars! But not ruling it out sometime in the future!

official eMpTyBRain
    You want one bad enough to ask others for some input. You're smart enough to know where not to put it. Sounds to me like you should get one.

I've been throwing the idea around myself for a few years. I know exactly what I would get and where I would have it placed.

When I ask others their opinion of the idea, more often than not they say don't do it. But it's not about them, it's about me in this case so they haven't deterred me. It's just at the bottom of my "things to do" list.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Seriously, if I were to get one, it would be totally about the tattoo artist. There's a boat-load of junky shops doing tramp stamps and butterflies. I would find the best artist I could, and pay whatever I had to pay, to get real art. That way if I decided later that getting a tattoo was a bad idea at least I would have a great artist's work.

Meatbomb
    Welcome to Jamaica Mon Have a Nice Day

mtbr member
    Seriously, if I were to get one, it would be totally about the tattoo artist. There's a boat-load of junky shops doing tramp stamps and butterflies. I would find the best artist I could, and pay whatever I had to pay, to get real art. That way if I decided later that getting a tattoo was a bad idea at least I would have a great artist's work.
    This is truly the way to go. I do not have a tattoo, wife does and she would like for me to follow suit. I just am not sure what I would get or where. Something in tribute, something that represents me and my history, or just something I would want to look at every time I go to the mirror and flex? The tattoo should represent the not so obvious me and I would only get it done by a tattoo artist that I have researched and talked to extensively. I had a roommate that got a great tattoo, all single needle work, of a shaman and wolf with a dreamcatcher in the background. He felt the wolf was his spirit animal or something and he had a fascination with native americans. The detail was very impressive, you could see the threading in the string that made the dreamcatchers web. The eyes were the only color, a cold blue. I'm not really sure if it really represented him, but it was one of the best tattoos I've seen. I think he must have discussed the tattoo for months before the work actually started and it wasn't cheap but he had a smile on his face for months after so it must've been the right decision for him.
    No fuss with the MUSS

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    OP, it sounds like you should get some scars tattooed across your body.

Or maybe some teardrops on your cheek. Instant sympathy points from the ladies!
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

Ohh Gnarly!!
    Go for it,man! What could go wrong!?

I build my own.
    I'm getting my scar tattooed back on. I asked the surgeon to leave me a nasty looking scar but he wouldn't do it. Worried about his reputation. My radiation oncologist said he would have gladly made a nasty looking scar.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

AZ
    banned
    What could go wrong?

Name:  misspelled_tattoos_1_large.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  29.5 KB

sock skeleton
    Oct 2005
    I've always wanted to get a 3 masted Cutty Sark tattooed on my chest.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Tattoo Logic?

Yes I agree about going to the right artist. I don't want a stamp tattoo and just say it represents something. I want genuine artwork that is unique to me.

I'm kind of getting tired of looking around now at different designs!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast