Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Survey about coffee and having to wait in lines.

Hey,

Not sure how many mountain bikers drink coffee, but I'm working with a startup to develop an app so that you can order your coffee ahead of time to avoid waiting in line. We'd love to hear about your ideas and experience so check out our survey if you have a minute or reply here. https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/thecoffeeexperience

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Survey about coffee and having to wait in lines.

Why not just make it yourself and spend the savings on bike parts? No lines in my kitchen ...

sympathy for society
    ^ I agree.. Make it myself and no lines. You can't beat a french press for some strong and quick coffee.
    Last edited by sodak; 01-19-2014 at 03:31 PM.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

Trouser Malfunction
    How is this going to prevent any Line from forming - since it will just supplant the order line to the pay/pick up line?

Why not an app to stop drinking coffee? ...there'll be no lines that way.
    I like Sand -- I don't like Witches.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sorry Michael1, but I really need someone to come up with an app that allows me to not to be bothered by all the people asking me to take surveys. I'd wait in line for that.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

duh
    That will just create another line and slow things down while they make coffees for one line that is ordering there and one line that pre ordered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    I hate surveys. That's about it. Carry on.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    That will just create another line and slow things down while they make coffees for one line that is ordering there and one line that pre ordered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haint View Post
    How is this going to prevent any Line from forming - since it will just supplant the order line to the pay/pick up line?
    This. And you've neglected the added compound of ensuring that the coffee stays hot in the interval between pre-order and pickup. This is an example of a solution looking for a problem, that in essence is likely only a concern for a very small percentage of coffee drinkers.

Unless you or the folks in this startup have a lot of experience within the coffee and beverage industry (and not just as a barista), you should walk away from this one. Its destined to fail for reasons that I'm fairly certain probably haven't even crossed your mind, unless you've done some actual market research about the consumer in-store experience within the industry. Hopefully you're not financially vested in this startup . . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Front Range, Colorado
    It's not going to catch on. We live in a fast paced society. If you look at all Starbucks and look at the ones that have drive up windows the drive up window ones are packed outside and not many go inside. Especially on during the work week mornings. That is the time people are rushing to get their coffee and get to work. The solution would be for any coffee shop to have a drive up window. I live near 2 Starbucks that are only a mile and a half apart. One has a drive up window and the other doesn't. The one with the drive up window does twice the sales. In the morning people drive out of their way to the one with a drive up window. Due to time savings and pure laziness which our society has come accustomed to.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for all the feedback! To address some specific concerns, it usually takes much less time to pick up a coffee then pay for one. The payment would be automated within the app to the extent that it would be the most convenient way to order even if you were already in the store. People would also specify when they would be arriving so the coffee can be timed correctly. We also see this expanding to other markets such as delis.

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by michael1 View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback! To address some specific concerns, it usually takes much less time to pick up a coffee then pay for one. The payment would be automated within the app to the extent that it would be the most convenient way to order even if you were already in the store. People would also specify when they would be arriving so the coffee can be timed correctly. We also see this expanding to other markets such as delis.
    They still have to make two coffees, three if there is a drive thru. Do you think people at the counter are going to be happy seeing people just bumping the line and grabbing a coffee while they waited for a while. I could see many yelling matches ensuing. Never mind the service staff now doesn't just have to worry about the line in the store, the line at the drive thru, they now have these extra coffees that have to be made. And who is going to make sure the correct person is getting the coffee. There is still going to be a line up and there will be three, one for unpaid, one for paid and one for drive thru. It is not feasible sorry ya just going to have to settle for a line up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Plus the price of my cup of coffee will have to increase to pay the app people.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    This app doesn't change the amount of coffee that the people behind the counter have to make. So there's still going to be a backup, just at a different point in the order-pay-pickup process.

And I like coffee, so I make my own. It's a lot cheaper that way too. If I end up going to a coffeeshop, it'll be the local non-franchised one where there's no line and I'm paying for coffee that I can't make at home.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    We also see this expanding to other markets such as delis.
    Cool, another survey!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishful Tomcat View Post
    If I pre-ordered my coffee via an app wouldn't it be cold by the time I got there to pick it up?
    No, you'd select the time you expect to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Plus the price of my cup of coffee will have to increase to pay the app people.
    If the application were successful, we believe the reduced congestion will increase the shops profits and our business would share some of those gains so there would be no additional cost for you.

duh
    We also see this expanding to other markets such as delis.
    Now this might work. You could even incorporate other restaurants just not the fast food types.

such member
    Now this might work. You could even incorporate other restaurants just not the fast food types.
    Looking back to what you said earlier,deke.It's gonna piss some people off. I hate being the next in line at Chipotle,ready for them to make my burrito,when they start making up some huge order that someone has 'phoned' in

Now,if everyone had the app,then maybe it would be ok.

sympathy for society
    Don't most restaurants already do that with "curb-side" pickup? Or call ahead ordering? I just have a hard time understanding or "realizing" how fast society is becoming. Why the rush?
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Looking back to what you said earlier,deke.It's gonna piss some people off. I hate being the next in line at Chipotle,ready for them to make my burrito,when they start making up some huge order that someone has 'phoned' in

Now,if everyone had the app,then maybe it would be ok.
    Most (at least in my area) delis and restaurants that have take out that you can call ahead, so an app would just be the same thing as calling.

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak View Post
    Don't most restaurants already do that with "curb-side" pickup? Or call ahead ordering? I just have a hard time understanding or "realizing" how fast society is becoming. Why the rush?
    the app would just work like the call ahead but with the app you could see the menu.

sympathy for society
    the app would just work like the call ahead but with the app you could see the menu.
    Got ya.. Misread your post. I've been doing that a bit lately. haha..

High Desert MTBer
    In New York where I'm at right now I just walked around for an hour or so until I found one of the dozens of Starbucks with the shortest line...

What's a "APP"?
    It's all Here. Now.

b a n n e d
    https://www.orderaheadapp.com

Maybe (hopefully) you're aware of this site and their apps (a multi-million dollar venture backed by about 6 investors including Facebook), but if not, you've got a lot to learn about business development and market research.

PayPal also has similar plans in the works: Redesigned PayPal app wants you to order ahead, skip lines | Mobile - CNET News

And whaddya know . . . Starbucks too? Mobile ordering cuts through the lines at Starbucks' La Boulange | VentureBeat | Mobile | by Rocky Agrawal

I found this in about 2 minutes worth of searching, and I'm certain that there's a lot more out there. So how do you plan to set yourself apart from these existing products?

And hopefully by now, you've asked yourself "why doesn't the Starbuck's app let me still do this?"
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    Could I get anything else with the coffee? Or just the coffee.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobretti View Post
    Could I get anything else with the coffee? Or just the coffee.
    What would you like sir? A bagel, crumb cake, banana bread, lemon bread or a glazed donut.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast