Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 114
  1. #1
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,181

    So does it exist?

    Looking for a place:

    a) offers affordable semi-suburban within close proximity (i.e., <10 miles) from major urban; talking buying not renting

    b) temperate climate (i.e., no snow, no desert)

    c) year round riding that can be easily accessed (i.e., ride to the trails from the front door)

    Go, OC . . . go.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,502
    define affordable

  3. #3
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,181
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    define affordable
    I consider $1000/sqft expensive (which is about how much my current area is). I'd ideally like to cut that by half or more. $250 - 300 per sqft. more realistic I think.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  4. #4
    Bro
    Bro is offline
    Content from my avatar
    Reputation: Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,356
    Reno/that area of Nevada fulfills 1/3 of those requirements.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,666
    A couple of thoughts -

    Reno, Nevada. Not the greatest riding, but its there. Awesome access to Lake Tahoe and Downieville riding. A little snow, but not a huge amount.

    Folsom/El Dorado Hills, Ca. No snow. Maybe 15-20 days a year over 100*F. Multiple trails all around the area that can be accessed right from your house. Easy access to Lake Tahoe, Downieville, and coastal riding. Year round riding is no problem. Access to Sacramento from Hwy 50 is approx 20 miles. Great mass transit access through RT Light Rail.
    Also look into Orangevale. Not so much riding access, but homes might be a little cheaper.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PerfectZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,205
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I consider $1000/sqft expensive (which is about how much my current area is). I'd ideally like to cut that by half or more. $250 - 300 per sqft. more realistic I think.
    Averaging around $425/sq ft in my neighborhood. Just sayin!
    buzzes like a fridge

  7. #7
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,703

    So does it exist?

    Santa Cruz.

    What do I win?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,666
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Santa Cruz.

    What do I win?
    Nothing. Its not under 10 miles from an urban center.
    You fail
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  9. #9
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,181
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Santa Cruz.

    What do I win?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Nothing. Its not under 10 miles from an urban center.
    You fail
    True . . . BUT, I would move to SC in a heartbeat of there were good work options for me and my wife. It's an AMAZING, laid back kind of place that has everything I'm looking for . . . just not a job (yet).
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  10. #10
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,703
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    True . . . BUT, I would move to SC in a heartbeat of there were good work options for me and my wife. It's an AMAZING, laid back kind of place that has everything I'm looking for . . . just not a job (yet).
    That wasn't one of the requirements. My friends commute to Mt. View. An hour! But they are way happy and have flexible hours at a tech company. And I see all their kayaking and mtbing pictures. Hmph.

    Brewtality: Scotts Valley, Boulder Creek FTW.

    Okay....there's Ventura...and... western North Carolina...and parts of Utah...and um...Georgia?

  11. #11
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    Tijuana
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  12. #12
    No known cure
    Reputation: Vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,140
    Yeah but all the singletrack is short and stops at a tall fence.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

  13. #13
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    jump ramp!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  14. #14
    Killer b.
    Reputation: The Understater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,503
    Rotorua NZ.

    Edit: never mind... probably falls short on the urban. Maybe Wellington NZ.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

  15. #15
    A waste of time it is is
    Reputation: emu26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,283
    Quote Originally Posted by The Understater View Post
    Rotorua NZ.

    Edit: never mind... probably falls short on the urban. Maybe Wellington NZ.
    Just googled a rotorua real estate agent to post up and saw this. for the land of the long white cloud. rotorua all the way and the best part is you'll then only be just across the ditch from the lucky country but there isn't any wildlife trying to kill you.

    How does it fall short of the urban, any place with The Pig n Whistle is right up there, oh and the luge, dont forget the luge.

    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dvFkEJC3Pm8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/icpnbQvjWwI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

  16. #16
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,026
    With the attributes you mentioned, climate is the most difficult to fulfill. Typically, good riding is in areas that have a changeable climate by their very nature: Mountains. That is after all the name of our chosen sport! I think the options mentioned in CA are probably the best, but then the job thing comes up... that will make it tricky.
    It's all Here. Now.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skullcap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    923
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    ...and um...Georgia?

    Not too sure about the ride-out-the-door requirement, but it does have everything else listed.


    007, how do you feel about humidity?
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

  18. #18
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    How do you define "major urban"? Prescott AZ. (pronounced Prezkitt) checks most of the boxes and is in proximity to some of the most spectacular rides in the country.

  19. #19
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,861
    La Crescenta, CA.

    Minimal commute to da Big City, beautiful/safe area, fresh air, suburban feel, great school district, great riding in all directions, temperate climate. Surfing, skiing, shopping, Island hopping, fishing, hotties, all here or not far away. This is the center of paradise/center of the universe.

  20. #20
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,181
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    With the attributes you mentioned, climate is the most difficult to fulfill. Typically, good riding is in areas that have a changeable climate by their very nature: Mountains. That is after all the name of our chosen sport! I think the options mentioned in CA are probably the best, but then the job thing comes up... that will make it tricky.
    Yup . . . fully realize that part. We basically want to avoid snow and a prolonged winter.

    Quote Originally Posted by skullcap View Post
    Not too sure about the ride-out-the-door requirement, but it does have everything else listed.


    007, how do you feel about humidity?
    I can handle humidity . . . I'm from Detroit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    How do you define "major urban"? Prescott AZ. (pronounced Prezkitt) checks most of the boxes and is in proximity to some of the most spectacular rides in the country.
    Prescott would be too small, but Scottsdale/Phoenix area would be a strong candidate as long as I thought I could adjust to the heat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    La Crescenta, CA.

    Minimal commute to da Big City, beautiful/safe area, fresh air, suburban feel, great school district, great riding in all directions, temperate climate. Surfing, skiing, shopping, Island hopping, fishing, hotties, all here or not far away. This is the center of paradise/center of the universe.
    LOL . . . I knew that was coming That and The 'Dena if we stay in the area . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  21. #21
    ENDO!!!
    Reputation: The Yetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    688
    Colorado Springs. We do get snow but you can still pretty much ride year round, especially if you don't mind a short drive to P-blo
    Just circles turning circles....

  22. #22
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,788
    Prescott Az.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skullcap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    923
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post

    I can handle humidity . . . I'm from Detroit.



    Bwahahahahahahah! That's what I said before I came here--I'm also originally from Michigan.



    No.


    I'm talking 100% humidity (no lie) and 95 degrees F. I'm talking about walking out of your house at 6:30 in the morning and it feels like you just walked into the steam room at the gym. Every one of my neighbors says the same thing walking out to their cars to go to work (myself included)-- "Feels like a sauna out here." It's about to start and it will continue until some time in September.

    The rest of the year it's great weather and I love it, but you had better HTFU in the summer or you're not going to make it. That being said, I typically ride through the summers but I learned pretty quick to carry ice water and keep a cooler with a cooling kit in it in the car. When your sweat won't evaporate you can overheat fast no matter how well hydrated you are.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bethany1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    712
    For sure, not Nebraska. Check that one off the list. We got snow up into May this year. No mountains and civilization is spotty as well. Good luck on your search though.

  25. #25
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,181
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post
    For sure, not Nebraska. Check that one off the list. We got snow up into May this year. No mountains and civilization is spotty as well. Good luck on your search though.
    Yeah, I know to pretty much avoid the entire midsection of the country . . . . and most of the Northeast . . . and ALL of Florida.

    Basically, I'm looking for WEST of the Rockies (Denver is close enough). An opportunity has presented itself that may take me to Las Vegas . . . those summers could be pretty brutal though.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    Boise.

  27. #27
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,181
    I know the biking in Idaho is supposed to be great, but too much snow and I hear its windy from Early January through late december.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I know the biking in Idaho is supposed to be great, but too much snow and I hear its windy from Early January through late december.
    Boise doesn't get snow, at least not much. Winter is very short. However, August and much of September are very hot. Wind, yes.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    17
    Suburbs in the counties outside of Richmond, VA

  30. #30
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,861
    La Crescenta is not s HOT as Pasadena in the Summer time and the air is definitely cleaner up here. Don't let PZ read this, LOL!

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmmUT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,298
    Besides what's been said:

    Santa fe and Albuquerque. Light snow, but easy to escape to ride year round and it doesn't stick around anyway. It's high desert so nothing too bad on temps.

    The northwest: Portland and Seattle are very temperate, since it's in the temperate rainforest. But yeah, rain. And moldy basements.

  32. #32
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Looking for a place:

    a) offers affordable semi-suburban within close proximity (i.e., <10 miles) from major urban; talking buying not renting

    b) temperate climate (i.e., no snow, no desert)

    c) year round riding that can be easily accessed (i.e., ride to the trails from the front door)

    Go, OC . . . go.
    Guadalajara, Jalisco.

    Perfect weather, year round cycling, 6,000 feet elevation, beautiful women (the current Ms. Universe is from GDL).

    NEXT!

  33. #33
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,995
    Technically, Denver is EAST of the Rockies!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

    And then we eat them."

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PerfectZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    La Crescenta is not s HOT as Pasadena in the Summer time and the air is definitely cleaner up here. Don't let PZ read this, LOL!
    Hey! our air is just fine! I only had to use a respirator twice last summer.
    buzzes like a fridge

  35. #35
    Big Boy
    Reputation: texasnavy05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    956
    You could come to Austin. It gets pretty hot in the summer, but nothing you can't ride in. Lots of trails within 30 minutes of Austin, and even more within an hour. Housing is affordable by your standard. And, the people are weird!
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post
    Guadalajara, Jalisco.

    Perfect weather, year round cycling, 6,000 feet elevation, beautiful women (the current Ms. Universe is from GDL).

    NEXT!
    You forgot all the excersize you get dodging the drug cartels.

    And the dirty water that will give you the sh!ts.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  37. #37
    rubber side down
    Reputation: TAOS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    510
    Branson MO
    Knoxville TN

    I was going to mention Ft. Collins CO but it does get snow and can be windy as hell....great "little big town" tho

  38. #38
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    You forgot all the excersize you get dodging the drug cartels.

    And the dirty water that will give you the sh!ts.
    You are confusing GDL with the border towns.

    A common mistake from uneducated Americans who still believe they are better than everyone else in the world.

    It's ok, we really can't expect anything more.

    Have a pic (not me btw):




  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,666

    So does it exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post

    Have a pic (not me btw):



    That's not you?
    Really?
    A little disappointed here.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  40. #40
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    That's not you?
    Really?
    A little disappointed here.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, me too.

    oth, if that was me, I'd never leave the house, if you know what I'm saying...

  41. #41
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    12,228
    Define "major urban".
    I'm about 10 km from the center of a town of 200,000+ inhabitants. Depending on which way I want to go, the first short piece of singletrack is 30 seconds to 90 seconds from my door. and those lead to paths that lead to more trails etc. No mountains: up and down small hills. People walking their dogs mainly keep the snow well packed on the trails in winter. No floods, hurricanes, or earthquakes.

    "it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

  42. #42
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,618
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    That wasn't one of the requirements. My friends commute to Mt. View. An hour! But they are way happy and have flexible hours at a tech company. And I see all their kayaking and mtbing pictures. Hmph.

    Brewtality: Scotts Valley, Boulder Creek FTW.
    I commute into N San Jose = 45 minutes.

    World class ST within 3 minutes of my front door (by bike). Walking distance into town. Super safe and clean lil' city. Year round riding. Here's the view from my kitchen:
    So does it exist?-521430_10151226480316225_1472832970_n.jpg

    local view:
    So does it exist?-425584_10150610297256225_623553885_n.jpg
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  43. #43
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,181
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    I commute into N San Jose = 45 minutes.

    World class ST within 3 minutes of my front door (by bike). Walking distance into town. Super safe and clean lil' city. Year round riding. Here's the view from my kitchen:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	521430_10151226480316225_1472832970_n.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	805900

    local view:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	425584_10150610297256225_623553885_n.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	805901
    But does that mean that i have to pretend we'z friends and ride wif you?

    I keeed . . . . trust me, that whole are is near the top of my list. A potential job opportunity just came to light yesterday in Palo Alto. Obviously not the same neck of the woods, but damn near close. Its almost as expensive as where I currently am, but there you're dollar goes a little further.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  44. #44
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,703
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    but Scottsdale/Phoenix area would be a strong candidate as long as I thought I could adjust to the heat..
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    temperate climate (i.e., no snow, no desert).
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Las Vegas . . . those summers could be pretty brutal though.
    eh hem.

    Palo Alto is fine. You can live within the redwoods in La Honda or Pescadero or something.

    Chum, is that a retrotec? I think I keep asking you that.... :P

  45. #45
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,861
    Palo Alto is Egg-spen-ziv

  46. #46
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,181
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    eh hem.

    Palo Alto is fine. You can live within the redwoods in La Honda or Pescadero or something.
    I know, I know! The desert doesn't really appeal to me . . . but the problem is that there's a pretty downright amazing job opportunity there (in Vegas) that would be a very strong career move.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  47. #47
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,181
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Palo Alto is Egg-spen-ziv
    No more than where I'm at now.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  48. #48
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,861
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    No more than where I'm at now.
    I thought the idea was to live somewhere a bit less expensive? Well, Vegas is surely that.

    If you do move to Vegas, I can see it now, you'll be on a first name basis at all the major casinos. A major high roller. Comp'ed everywhere you go. Snakeskin pointy tipped boots, bleached prickly hair, satin shirt half way buttoned up, struttin' & strollin' every step of the way, ....

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    347
    Knoxville or Chattanooga? Not major urban, but urban. Maybe Little Rock.

  50. #50
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post
    You are confusing GDL with the border towns.

    A common mistake from uneducated Americans who still believe they are better than everyone else in the world.

    It's ok, we really can't expect anything more.

    Have a pic (not me btw):




    Stuff it.

  51. #51
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,861
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Boise.
    Id-a-ho once, but she's gone now...

  52. #52
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post
    ...uneducated Americans who still believe they are better than everyone else in the world...
    that's a flame-bait, so I dinged ya for it!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PerfectZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    A major high roller. Comp'ed everywhere you go. Snakeskin pointy tipped boots, bleached prickly hair, satin shirt half way buttoned up, struttin' & strollin' every step of the way, ....
    I thought this is what it's like when he goes there now.
    buzzes like a fridge

  54. #54
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,181
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    I thought this is what it's like when he goes there now.
    Nah . . . I'm too old for the satin shirt. I'm rollin' in my crushed velvet track suit now . . . I have an entire rainbow of colors to choose from depending on the season.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  55. #55
    A waste of time it is is
    Reputation: emu26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,283
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Nah . . . I'm too old for the satin shirt. I'm rollin' in my crushed velvet track suit now . . . I have an entire rainbow of colors to choose from depending on the season.
    One for every day of the week

    So does it exist?-underwear2.jpg

  56. #56
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Stuff it.
    Thanks for proving my point!

    Liked the rep, too. Are you one of those Pochos who refuse to speak Spanish?

  57. #57
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    that's a flame-bait, so I dinged ya for it!
    Not that it matters, but do you consider it flame bait because it insults you, or because it's true?

    Truly curious.

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vice grips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,254
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Looking for a place:

    a) offers affordable semi-suburban within close proximity (i.e., <10 miles) from major urban; talking buying not renting

    b) temperate climate (i.e., no snow, no desert)

    c) year round riding that can be easily accessed (i.e., ride to the trails from the front door)

    Go, OC . . . go.
    I didn't look at this hole thread, not sure Sierra Vista AZ is a big enough for you, it's got some big mts, snows only in the high mts but not all the time, and not overly hot in summer because the valley is over 5,000 in alt.

    What about Tucson AZ
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

  59. #59
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,618
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post

    Chum, is that a retrotec? I think I keep asking you that.... :P
    Hunter, Swamper....Super Custom
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  60. #60
    banned
    Reputation: roadie scum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    773
    Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post
    You are confusing GDL with the border towns.

    A common mistake from uneducated Americans who still believe they are better than everyone else in the world.

    It's ok, we really can't expect anything more.

    Have a pic (not me btw):





    Yeah the millions of Americans climbing the fence to get into Mexico is proof of what a great place that sh!thole is.

  61. #61
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post
    Thanks for proving my point!

    Liked the rep, too. Are you one of those Pochos who refuse to speak Spanish?


    Your welcome, plenty more coming I'm sure. Why would I speak Spanish, I don't live in Spain? Do you refuse to speak Northern Cheyenne?

  62. #62
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post
    Not that it matters, but do you consider it flame bait because it insults you, or because it's true?

    Truly curious.
    you're truly curious?

    Well you insulted based on a stereotype/bias that you must have.

    How about you explain yourself - I'm not the one calling 300+ Million people ignorant and elitist.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  63. #63
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    Asheville NC

    There is very little snow and for the most part year round riding if you don't mind riding in 30 degree weather. Affordable depends on exactly where you live in the area. Riding is the best on the East Coast and some of the best in the country.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

  64. #64
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,861
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Riding is the best on the East Coast and some of the best in the country.
    Wait just a darn minute? Am I taking this wrong or are you saying that riding is better in the East than it is in the West?

  65. #65
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Wait just a darn minute? Am I taking this wrong or are you saying that riding is better in the East than it is in the West?
    I could see how you could make that misunderstanding if it just said "Riding is the best on the East Coast" but seeing as the sentence was completed with "....and some of the best in the country.", I do not.

    I wouldn't say it is the best in the country but I wouldn't say west coast riding is better either. They are just different.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

  66. #66
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,861
    ^ Thanks for clarifying, different for sure.

  67. #67
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    ^^^ kjlued=politician!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  68. #68
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    ^^^ kjlued=politician!
    Couldn't fvck up this country any worse than our current politicians are.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Your welcome, plenty more coming I'm sure. Why would I speak Spanish, I don't live in Spain? Do you refuse to speak Northern Cheyenne?
    Don't get too worked up by Laozi. He's not even a Mexican.

  70. #70
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Couldn't fvck up this country any worse than our current politicians are.
    you're right!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  71. #71
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Your welcome, plenty more coming I'm sure. Why would I speak Spanish, I don't live in Spain? Do you refuse to speak Northern Cheyenne?
    Again, thanks for proving my point.

    The thing aboot Americans is the culture, or lack of. Why would you want to speak Spanish? Maybe because you represent a very small minority in the world who refuses to learn another language. It's about respect, knowledge, and compassion. Plus, learning a language is much like learning a logic. It broadens ones perspective.

    I'm sorry, I don't understand your reference to the Northern Cheyenne. Explain?

  72. #72
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    you're truly curious?

    Well you insulted based on a stereotype/bias that you must have.

    How about you explain yourself - I'm not the one calling 300+ Million people ignorant and elitist.
    What is it I should explain?

    Shall I back up the claim with some graphical data to show education levels, school rankings, wealth distribution, quality of life, prison populations, welfare recipients, etc? Would that help?

    I did not mean it as an insult, it is a reflection of a reality of how Americans are perceived throughout the world. Of course, that doesn't matter if you don't care. Therefore back to the uneducated American comment.

    See how that works?

  73. #73
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post

    I'm sorry, I don't understand your reference to the Northern Cheyenne.




    Of course you don't.

  74. #74
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,181
    Hey, can y'all take your discussion elsewhere? It's detracting from mah thread . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  75. #75
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    ^^ I'm done - sorry man
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  76. #76
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    68
    ^^
    ^^

    Yeah, me too.

    Maybe Chattanooga. Been through there a few times and always got a good vibe.

    Maybe not so much of a metro scene, but not bad. Nice river and good riding.

  77. #77
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,026
    Someone mentioned Tucson in amongst the (anti) elitist stuff... well, that's where I live, and it is great for riding, awesome trails, economy is picking up again here, lots of tech/medical jobs if that's what you're in, no winter, no humidity, beautiful sunsets, but the summer heat can get brutal if you're not used to it. May and June and into July before the monsoons is challenging! Personally, I love it, but I'm a Brit who's just happy to be out of the grey, muddy damp of Britland. (Could never live up in the Pac NW). If it gets too hot, you just head up Mt Lemmon like we all did this morning!

    So does it exist?-img_0123.jpg
    It's all Here. Now.

  78. #78
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post

    I did not mean it as an insult, it is a reflection of a reality of how Americans are perceived throughout the world. Of course, that doesn't matter if you don't care. Therefore back to the uneducated American comment.
    ORLY?

    You are from Mexico and you are going to comment on how another country is perceived by the world?

    Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

    I have nothing against you or your country but you should worry more about how people perceive you than worry about how people perceive others.

    Furthermore, I don't see Americans sneaking over the border to Mexico.....kind of makes you wonder.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

  79. #79
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Someone mentioned Tucson in amongst the (anti) elitist stuff... well, that's where I live, and it is great for riding, awesome trails, economy is picking up again here, lots of tech/medical jobs if that's what you're in, no winter, no humidity, beautiful sunsets, but the summer heat can get brutal if you're not used to it. May and June and into July before the monsoons is challenging! Personally, I love it, but I'm a Brit who's just happy to be out of the grey, muddy damp of Britland.]
    here's a comparison in song (the latter a remake of the ubiquitous OG EDM track - neither knew thew were being recorded) - By The ORB

    Arizona
    <iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FHixChYgGRI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

    England (Watford)
    <iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/__QqQq9XBsQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  80. #80
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,861
    rockerc, no humidity in Tucson? You don't get a Monsoon season there in the Summer?

  81. #81
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ORLY?

    You are from Mexico and you are going to comment on how another country is perceived by the world?

    Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

    I have nothing against you or your country but you should worry more about how people perceive you than worry about how people perceive others.

    Furthermore, I don't see Americans sneaking over the border to Mexico.....kind of makes you wonder.
    Psst, I'm not from Mexico.

    Saludos!

  82. #82
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    rockerc, no humidity in Tucson? You don't get a Monsoon season there in the Summer?
    Oh yes indeed Hawg, and that moisture is like manna from heaven! The humidity is just sucked up and away lickety-split tho... It makes the trails super-sticky too, when it doesn't wash them away. When we 'improve' trails here, water management is all-important, a heavy monsoon will take whole jeep roads away from hillsides sometimes.
    It's all Here. Now.

  83. #83
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post
    Psst, I'm not from Mexico.

    Saludos!
    My bad, your profile says you are.
    Obviously just a want a be Mexican.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

  84. #84
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    My bad, your profile says you are.
    Obviously just a want a be Mexican.
    You are a prime example of what I am talking about.

    Now, out of respect for 007, please do not continue to snipe in this thread.

    Ciao

  85. #85
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post
    You are a prime example of what I am talking about.

    Now, out of respect for 007, please do not continue to snipe in this thread.

    Ciao
    My bad for taking you for your word on your location.

    And don't tell me not to "snipe" a thread out of respect for somebody right after you throw up a passive aggressive insult. You are the one being disrespectful troll. I am being upfront an honest. Your acting like a self righteous know it all moron.

    Now take you own advice and stop "sniping" this thread.

    Hasta la vista
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,666

    So does it exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post
    The thing aboot Americans is the culture, or lack of. Why would you want to speak Spanish? Maybe because you represent a very small minority in the world who refuses to learn another language. It's about respect, knowledge, and compassion. Plus, learning a language is much like learning a logic. It broadens ones perspective.
    We don't need to learn other languages. America is the symbol for greatness, liberty, freedom and strength around the world. Countries come to us for help in their times of need. People all around the world want to live here. They want to be great like we are.
    You, on the other hand, live in Mexico, a barely second world country, known for its corruption, drug trafficking, and poverty. No country on Earth wants to be Mexico. Mexico is not looked up to or respected on the global stage. When trouble erupts around the world, other courtiers don't go looking for Mexico to help them out.
    Mexican citizens are fleeing your country in droves. That should say a lot right there.
    When Mexico (or Spain) becomes the great global super power that everybody else wants to be, sure we'll learn Spanish. Until then, don't be jealous about America's greatness.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PerfectZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,205
    haha this thread.
    buzzes like a fridge

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    113
    cote d'azur...

  89. #89
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    We don't need to learn other languages. America is the symbol for greatness, liberty, freedom and strength around the world. Countries come to us for help in their times of need. People all around the world want to live here. They want to be great like we are.
    You, on the other hand, live in Mexico, a barely second world country, known for its corruption, drug trafficking, and poverty. No country on Earth wants to be Mexico. Mexico is not looked up to or respected on the global stage. When trouble erupts around the world, other courtiers don't go looking for Mexico to help them out.
    Mexican citizens are fleeing your country in droves. That should say a lot right there.
    When Mexico (or Spain) becomes the great global super power that everybody else wants to be, sure we'll learn Spanish. Until then, don't be jealous about America's greatness.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brewtality, you seem to be forgetting that with greatness comes humility, compassion and understanding. I am a Brit, but I love America and its diverse geography and broad range of opinions. The kind of superiority you speak of is ugly and not something to be proud of. Mexico is a beautiful country, with many problems at the moment, much the same as America. If the US did not provide such a ready market for the drug cartels, the problems that engenders would mostly disappear.
    It's all Here. Now.

  90. #90
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,026
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    here's a comparison in song (the latter a remake of the ubiquitous OG EDM track - neither knew thew were being recorded) - By The ORB

    Arizona
    <iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FHixChYgGRI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

    England (Watford)
    <iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/__QqQq9XBsQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Heheh! I actually lived close to Watford in the 60s for a while... not a very nice place at all. Strange that one of Moscow's Seven Sisters seems to have been airlifted to Watford tho. In the second video it appears right after Watford East tube station... I knew it well!
    It's all Here. Now.

  91. #91
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Brewtality, you seem to be forgetting that with greatness comes humility, compassion and understanding. I am a Brit, but I love America and its diverse geography and broad range of opinions. The kind of superiority you speak of is ugly and not something to be proud of. Mexico is a beautiful country, with many problems at the moment, much the same as America. If the US did not provide such a ready market for the drug cartels, the problems that engenders would mostly disappear.
    Don't show compassion, it's a sign of weaknsess!

    Most Muricans can't get past the border town impression of Mexico. It's really sad. Mexico has some beautiful cities, landscapes, culture and people.

    It's economy is growing around 6% to 8% a year.

    It has a large and growing middle class.

    It has some great education systems and universities.

    Not saying it's better or worse than any other country, that's whats so hard for some to understand. It is different, and as such, worthy of understanding and learning.

    Hey, op, how about Greeneville or Raleigh?

  92. #92
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    We don't need to learn other languages. America is the symbol for greatness, liberty, freedom and strength around the world. Countries come to us for help in their times of need. People all around the world want to live here. They want to be great like we are.
    You, on the other hand, live in Mexico, a barely second world country, known for its corruption, drug trafficking, and poverty. No country on Earth wants to be Mexico. Mexico is not looked up to or respected on the global stage. When trouble erupts around the world, other courtiers don't go looking for Mexico to help them out.
    Mexican citizens are fleeing your country in droves. That should say a lot right there.
    When Mexico (or Spain) becomes the great global super power that everybody else wants to be, sure we'll learn Spanish. Until then, don't be jealous about America's greatness.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So, following your logic, you must be studying Chinese.

  93. #93
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post
    What is it I should explain?

    Shall I back up the claim with some graphical data to show education levels, school rankings, wealth distribution, quality of life, prison populations, welfare recipients, etc? Would that help?

    I did not mean it as an insult, it is a reflection of a reality of how Americans are perceived throughout the world. Of course, that doesn't matter if you don't care. Therefore back to the uneducated American comment.

    See how that works?

    Hey - do you ride/own an 29'er inbred?
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  94. #94
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    ... I am a Brit, but I love America....
    Now, If only we could get Brits to speak English correctly, we be off to a good start
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  95. #95
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,026
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    Now, If only we could get Brits to speak English correctly, we be off to a good start
    You mean like this?

    Monty Python RAF Banter - YouTube
    It's all Here. Now.

  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,666

    So does it exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post
    So, following your logic, you must be studying Chinese.
    Why? Other than a budding economy (and that's a bubble ready to pop), what does China do for the world? People do not flock to China, hoping to be citizens. Just the opposite. People flee the oppression that is China.
    China does not step up and take a leadership role anywhere in the free world. They pollute the Earth, kill their own citizens, suppress human rights, commit corporate espionage on a national level and threaten the security of the East Asian world. Nobody wants to be China.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  97. #97
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    Hey - do you ride/own an 29'er inbred?
    I've ridden one. Nice budget steel frame. I'm currently looking for a ti frame to make a ss. Got any leads?

  98. #98
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Why? Other than a budding economy (and that's a bubble ready to pop), what does China do for the world? People do not flock to China, hoping to be citizens. Just the opposite. People flee the oppression that is China.
    China does not step up and take a leadership role anywhere in the free world. They pollute the Earth, kill their own citizens, suppress human rights, commit corporate espionage on a national level and threaten the security of the East Asian world. Nobody wants to be China.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do some reading on China's influence in Africa, South America, Asia, and the Arab world, then get back to me.

  99. #99
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post
    I've ridden one. Nice budget steel frame. I'm currently looking for a ti frame to make a ss. Got any leads?
    nope...just connecting dots.
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  100. #100
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,703
    Anyway....

    I actually like Vegas. Close to some beautiful scenery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Does it exist?
    By GRR gravity riders in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2012, 12:52 AM
  2. 142 mm / 12 mm SS hub, does it exist?
    By pushinpixels in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-28-2012, 09:51 AM
  3. Does this Fox fork exist?
    By smmokan in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-29-2012, 01:33 AM
  4. does this exist?
    By patrick2cents in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-30-2011, 06:22 PM
  5. It does exist!
    By GrayBeard Pirate in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-25-2011, 05:27 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •