Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Smart Phones

thread crapper
    Feb 2008

Smart Phones

In trying to add new threads that don't start flame wars, I'm curious what smart phones you guys are using. I have the iPhone 4, but that damn thing dies (hard reset required) about 6 times a day. I'm trying to decide if I want to stay with Apple or possibly get a Droid. I already have all the peripheral equipment for the iStuff. I'm not an Apple fanboi, but I do like the phone for it's simplicity. My bro has a Droid and loves the ability to play with the boot, ROM, and other stuff, which would be nice, since I don't want to jailbreak an iToy.

Any pros or cons to your phone?

I use a dumb phone.

Pros - no data plan necessary so it's WAY cheaper.
    - physical buttons for dialing. touchscreen dialpads are a PITA when you have to deal with automated CS/voicemail systems
    - mine has a physical slide-out keyboard, too, so typing texts is simpler
    - if it breaks I don't have to take out a loan
    - I avoid "cell phone addiction syndrome"

Cons - User interface/menus are not terribly intuitive.
    - the physical keyboard is a pain sometimes like when I have double letters, esp double vowels like "ee". I cannot just press the e key twice, or I will wind up with diacritical marks on my letters like so I have to press "e>right arrow>e" to tell it I want to type the next letter and not add an accent or something. Annoying, but not a deal breaker.
    - I need a new battery

mtbr member
    I was gonna start a thread on this matter also, I hope you don't mind if I join in.

I also am currently using the iPhone 4. It is my second iphone and quite frankly, I'm just bored with it. I can say that it has never ever failed me and works 100% of the time. So I started looking at the droids and I must say, they are pretty cool. It would be a breath of fresh air for the next 2 years untill apple can come out with a better iOS. Maybe this is exactly what you are thinking?

Having been able to use both phones previously I can say in MY honest opinion, texting is not as accurate (for me) on droid devices. It's like I'm texting on my old lg navigator from 8 years ago. Besides that I think it's a great device. So, that's where I'm at and i am due in feb. for an upgrade. Let us know what you decide.

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    I wish I could go back to a dumb phone Nate. I use mine too much for business and it allows me days out of the office to be on the bike. It's nice being able to fire off emails from a trail during a snack break. I don't really have the accuracy issue, but the autocorrect will really piss me off some days. Were turns to we're, its to it's, etc. Drives me nuts. The other thing that's nice, I have music, a camera, a phone, a GPS, and other things in it. It truly condenses what I carry.

I also use mine as my GPS for tracking rides and such and it does decently. Not as nice as my Garmin, but it gets it done. The biggest thing I use mine for is music. I stream Sirius on it constantly and average over 6gb a month in data for all I use it. You can imagine, streaming sirius, running GPS and emailing, my battery life sucks, but I don't think that's gonna matter no matter what phone I use.

My biggest issue is my apps. I don't want to have to pay for all of them again just to put them on a new phone OS. That's going to cost a lot more than just the initial investment. I know I can transfer my music over, but I can't transfer the apps.

mtbr member
    Have the 4s with Mophie battery pack. Can go for days without a recharge with this battery/case and it keeps the phone well protected, as well as redirects the sound out the front instead of the bottom which improves the quality and volume. Also love the hands free stuff you can do with Siri even with earphones. Have 3 friend who have the droid and they love it, but all 3 also have cracked screens.
    Last edited by theMeat; 01-11-2013 at 10:13 AM.
    Round and round we go

OTB Pro
    I used to have an iphone 3GS and I just got a Nokia Lumia 920 three weeks ago and am really enjoying windows phone 8. Although their are not as many apps there are still tons of them and more than I will ever need and the windows interface is pretty nice. The only complants I have about this phone is its size which is about as big as the galaxy s3. If I had to do it over it again I wouldve gotten an HTC 8x which is a smaller windows 8 phone.

mtbr member
    I have a Droid Incredible and love it. I'm one to keep phones until they die and not when my contract runs out. I did have to have a factory reset last month when my phone started to turn itself on and off. Android system is less buggy than Apple's. Besides the GPS I use a couple of barcode scanner apps when I think a store's price is bogus or looking to see which store has it the cheapest in the area.

Hubby has a dumb phone that he keeps with him. He's not into techy stuff and doesn't need all the fancy features.

banned
    Jan 2013
    I have a Motorola Droid 4 with Verizon. Love the 4G and the keyboard. I went from a Droid, to Droid 3 and now Droid 4 (with UNLIMITED 4G data!!)

-S

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I got an LG that is like a smart/dumb phone. In a limited manner it has the capabilities of smart phones, with touchscreen, internet surfing, and DL apps. But it didn't require a data plan just to purchase. And it slides open for the QWERTY keyboard, which I like. Damn thing has taken a hell of a beating too and still works great.

If I were to upgrade to a real smart phone, I do like the Samsung Galaxy. I have also liked what I've seen with a couple of the HTC phones. Personally I wouldn't pay for an iPhone ever.

thankfully I'm not in an industry that would ever require me to own/use a smartphone so I'll avoid them indefinitely. however if I did, my employer would be paying for it, and I'd still have my dumb phone for personal stuff and I'd make sure it was well known that at a certain time every night, the work phone would be getting turned off until the next morning.

I like my ipod touch, though. because I like it, I'm going to replace my laptop with a tablet when it's time to do that. my opposition to smartphones is primarily because of the expense of data plans. well, and the fact that so many people are glued to them all the time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I use a dumb phone.
    - I need a new battery
    Umm, for a self proclaimed geek you need a new phone.
    Apps are not only cool but very productive. Just the amount of $ I'v saved with free red lazer app has saved me more than the phone cost.
    Then add to that the 300+ they wanted for a new disc to update my car nav and for me it was a no brainer. Plus the, again free, waze app works way better than my car nav ever did.
    I'm never glued to my phone unless i want to be, and I even, Gasp, go places without a phone by choice. Yeah, I live on the edge sometimes lol. Remember those days?
    Hey, did you ever sell that house?
    Round and round we go

no. damn house still isn't sold.

as I said, my biggest objection to smartphones is the cost of the data plan. and knowing me, I'd fiddle with the phone all the time if I had one.

it wouldn't save me any money over anything else I already do, I don't think. not when accounting for the cost of the plan on top of it. as it is, I think $90/mo for two dumb phones is high.

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    I can definitely see your objection to the data plan. I'm with AT&T for mine and if I wasn't getting a discount with them through one of my former employers, I probably would have jumped off the smart phone wagon a long time ago. Might be something to look into in any job you guys have. I get 20% off every month because I used to work for a D1 college that had a partnership with them. Kind of a perk of the job, almost a benefit.

mtbr member
    Hmm, guess that's another reason to go apple, pretty sure apple to apple is free.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Hmm, guess that's another reason to go apple, pretty sure apple to apple is free.
    Generally this has yo do with the carrier and your plan, not the phone

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    My thoughts too. Just kinda wanna try something new. And part of it is I want one of the NES emulator so I can play all the old school video games. haha

usually cranky
    no, that is ichat messaging which you do over a wifi connection. the android platform can do it too with fb, aim, Skype, etc.

anyways i have the galaxy s3. almost a 5'' screen, 8mp rear and 1.9mp front camera. video is also very nice. if you are looking for simplicity though this is not it, basically a small computer. im usually pretty quick to master technology and a month latter im still learning about this thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    Generally this has yo do with the carrier and your plan, not the phone
    Thought it had to do with apple to apple going throu wifi. Can even talk, facetime my Apple friends over seas for free even thou I haven't international service.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    no, that is ichat messaging which you do over a wifi connection. the android platform can do it too with fb, aim, Skype, etc.

anyways i have the galaxy s3. almost a 5'' screen, 8mp rear and 1.9mp front camera. video is also very nice. if you are looking for simplicity though this is not it, basically a small computer. im usually pretty quick to master technology and a month latter im still learning about this thing.
    Oh, ok cool.
    Round and round we go

sock puppet
    iPhone5 here. Not an earth shattering upgrade from 4S but I like it. Tried droids in the past - don't like. Droid OS less buggy than Apple IOS??? Not in my experience.

Available apps, ergonomics, simplicity - more than enough advantages in my opinion - to stick with iPhone. It meets all my business needs with authority as well, and I am in IT.

And I didn't even mention cool factor.

I also have Apple TV and other Apple gear so integration is easy and very cool.

Having said that - other options are good. I am glad that droids keep pressuring Apple to do their best. Competition is great for buyers.

Good luck with your decision.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Thought it had to do with apple to apple going throu wifi. Can even talk, facetime my Apple friends over seas for free even thou I haven't international service.
    Typically nothing you do on a wifi connection will use provider data. But as far as I understand, you have to have a data plan to have any smart phone (apple or otherwise) in the US. I suppose there are some out there who only use their phone on wifi connections and not over-the-air, but ...
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Typically nothing you do on a wifi connection will use provider data. But as far as I understand, you have to have a data plan to have any smart phone (apple or otherwise) in the US. I suppose there are some out there who only use their phone on wifi connections and not over-the-air, but ...
    Correct.
    Signature

mtbr member
    I have an HTC One X on AT&T. Like it a lot. Beautiful screen, very fast and powerful, no real glitches so far (couldn't say the same for my first gen Samsung Galaxy S). Took a few days to get used to the size (4.7" screen), but it is ok now. Although I can't imagine going any bigger -- those Galaxy Notes are just too big.

Very useful tool -- I'm surprised at how much I use it, from sending emails to playing games to internet research to keeping track of my life to, well, sometimes even making phone calls!

Monthly bill sucks, to be sure, but we have unlimited voice now and got rid of our home phone, so that helps a little.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    i generally turn mobil data off on my phone and only use wifi but you must have mobil data on to recieve picture messages, i find that strange, does anyone know why that is?

humber river advocate
    work pays for mine... all data, long distance, minutes etc... oh and they gave me an i-phone
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast