Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Sliding Compound Miter Saw Suggestions?

So I'm the owner of a fixer upper. I'm looking to pick up my first sliding miter saw. My fiance has big plans for me, showing me pictures of everything from fences, to furniture, to indoor cat shelves and crown molding. I don't want to skimp on my tools since it looks like I'm going to be busy. Minimally, it needs to cut a 4x4 at 90 degrees without flipping.

This one from Hitachi is topping my list due to value and good reviews.
    Shop Hitachi 12-in 15-Amp Dual Bevel Sliding Compound Laser Miter Saw at Lowes.com

Anyone have any suggestions for other saws that can cut my arm off?
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Any saw can cut your arm off, some just take a little longer.

mtbr member
    Can tell you that the Hitacki that I had was the worst ever and was glad when it finally quit.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Can tell you that the Hitacki that I had was the worst ever and was glad when it finally quit.
    Really? I was actually looking at a Craftsman and a Dewalt, never even thought of Hitachi. But the more I read, the better Hitachi looked. They actually offer a 5 year warranty. The big 'C' and 'D'... only 90 days.

May I ask why it sucked?
    The cake is a lie.

AZ
    banned
    I cut everything except trim with a circular saw. Trim I use a fine tooth hand saw or hack saw. Power tools simply allow you to screw stuff up at a higher rate of speed.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Sliding Compound Miter Saw Suggestions?

Go with a 14" DeWalt. With tools there is no "good enough". buy more saw than you think you need. you'll have years of trouble free use and convenience. The compound miter saw is THE most important tool for a DIY homeowner. You will use it constantly. Skimp on groceries and clothes, do not bargain shop for tools.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    I can't make a straight cut on a 2x4 with a circular saw. It looks like I hacked it blindfolded with a steak knife.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    So I'm the owner of a fixer upper. I'm looking to pick up my first sliding miter saw. My fiance has big plans for me, showing me pictures of everything from fences, to furniture, to indoor cat shelves and crown molding. I don't want to skimp on my tools since it looks like I'm going to be busy. Minimally, it needs to cut a 4x4 at 90 degrees without flipping.

This one from Hitachi is topping my list due to value and good reviews.
    Shop Hitachi 12-in 15-Amp Dual Bevel Sliding Compound Laser Miter Saw at Lowes.com

Anyone have any suggestions for other saws that can cut my arm off?
    I have a dewalt and its ok, it does it's job. But it's kind of bulky. I have used a few makitas and have really liked them and that's what I will buy when the Dewalt dies. I can't believe it has lasted this long 9-10 years and we beat the thing. I've even use it to cut a few arm full of logs for the wood stove.
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    I can't make a straight cut on a 2x4 with a circular saw. It looks like I hacked it blindfolded with a steak knife.
    You're not alone...

mtbr member
    Really? I was actually looking at a Craftsman and a Dewalt, never even thought of Hitachi. But the more I read, the better Hitachi looked. They actually offer a 5 year warranty. The big 'C' and 'D'... only 90 days.

May I ask why it sucked?
    it took no time to need new brushes, and no matter how good or tight I made it it just wouldn't hold alignment. Eventually I gave up and left it for rough cut duty. When it stopped working I brought it in to my local tool repair guy who's a stand up guy I'v known for years, and he said it wasn't worth fixing, and he recommended not buying another.
    I gave up on Crapsman power tools along time ago, and it seems now their hand tools are getting crappy too.
    Warranty means nothing when you have to wait and are without the tool you need while in the middle of doing something, and even less when you just want to throw the whole thing in the garbage. Wouldn't buy another Hitachi unless is came with a lifetime 100% money back satisfaction guarantee.
    Rigid, Portacable, Makita, or Dewalt is what comes to mind and what I'd recommend as far as common, reasonably priced, well known, and widely available brands.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Hmmm. Looks like some consensus for Dewalt and Makita.

I feel like I started one of those newb bike threads. What saw is right for me? It should cut really tiny things and monstrously huge things well. It should be light and I only have a budget of like $100.

And what size blade? 8.5", 10" or 12"? I've heard 12" will cut anything and that 8.5" is practically dead. I'm thinking right in between with 10" is the way to go.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    ...... I'm thinking right in between with 10" is the way to go.
    That's what she said (sorry, couldn't resist)

mtbr member
    My Dad has the 12" DeWalt and I've used it a few times...it's a beast, and well made.

duh
    depending on how much room you have, this one GCM12SD 12" Dual-Bevel Glide Miter Saw | Bosch is good. It doesn't have the traditional sliders so you can put it up against a wall to save space.

Other than that The Hitachi isn't bad. just make sure the saw that you get has a good heel cut ( the heel is back part of the blade casing). Some saws like that Hitachi can't cut 6" molding standing up because the heel Back of the blade housing is solid. The dewalt, the new Bosch, and millwaukee can cut 6" mouldings standing upright against the fence. This is due to the heel of the housing that is close to the fence is trimmed higher than the centre of the blade allowing a larger cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

mtbr member
    Yup--I use them for a living and have found the Makita and DeWalt the best.
    Bosch makes a nice unit, but it is a bit heavy. At least the last one I looked at.

Ohh Gnarly!!
    I've got a DeWalt 12" compound that has held up rather well.A trim carpenter I often work with has a Makita sliding compound (not sure if it's a 10" or 12"),which I have used 1 or 2 times.He is a great carpenter, and I know he only buys the best tools.I think DeWalt and Makita are better than Hitachi.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've run just about every major saw out there and like the Makitas the best. Just hands down the nicest to use, move, clean, change the blase ect. Spend you money once on the best saw you can afford then keep it clean. Every time I'm done for the day I clean my saws with a shop vac it only takes a few minutes but in the long run it will extend the life of the saw and keep it working smoothly.
    Keep access to public lands open.
    http://30daysofbikingerie.blogspot.com/

High Desert MTBer
    If it's a toss-up between the Dewalt or Makita, I gotta say that rim tape holds much better on the Dewalt... Just sayin'...
    It's all Here. Now.

duh
    Another note you want to look at is are you getting a mobile stand or building a bench for it?

U sayin' Bolt ?
    The Milwaukee has a digital miter angle readout if you wanna be that slick

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    Another note you want to look at is are you getting a mobile stand or building a bench for it?
    Definitely some kind of folding mobile bench. Laugh all you want, but we have an asthmatic cat and the fiancé wouldn't let me make dust in our basement. So I'll have to set this up outside whenever I go to use it.

Now I'm trying to decide if the extra cutting width is worth it, or if a 12" non-sliding model is enough.

DW715 vs. DW717
    The cake is a lie.

duh
    Definitely some kind of folding mobile bench. Laugh all you want, but we have an asthmatic cat and the fiancé wouldn't let me make dust in our basement. So I'll have to set this up outside whenever I go to use it.
    Then I would recommend something with good size wheels and is a gravity raised table like

DWX726 Rolling Miter Saw Stand | DEWALT Tools

or
    T4B Gravity-Rise Wheeled Miter Saw Stand | Bosch

both are good

I am using the dewalt one and find it 100% better than my old Hitachi one.

Also don't worry about extra like digital read out or lasers, they will always have to adjusted to be accurate.

I would go with the sliding just because it has more uses and being able to make a scoring cut first makes a cleaner cut.

mtbr member
    dont get anything with some fandang laser guided thingamabob...that's for Dick the butcher home owner. , dont be a Dick.

Learn to measure twice and cut once...

If you cut it 3 times and it's still too short... get yourself a board stretcher and try again.
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

Ohh Gnarly!!
    The DW715 is what I have had for going on something like 10 years or so.I have built everything from decks to furniture with it and have never had any problems.You can get by without the slider if you have other tools,or are planing on getting some.I think having a table saw is as important as a chop saw.I do alot of cuts using a crosscut sled on the table,or just use a circular saw sometimes.I've always wanted a stand,but have gotten by just fine without.

*edit* I pretty sure mine is the DW705,I think it's just an older version of the DW715.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast