Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Huckin' trails

Signing up for the army tomorrow, any advices ?

Hey, I decided I want to be an ammunition tech or worst case gunsmith in the army (Canadian Forces). Always more exciting than electrician or elevator mech.

Only one thing is me and the army aren't always on the same page. I love guns and blowing up stuff, but I hate wars and killing, even just acts of violence. I really, really enjoy shooting, but I won't shoot anything except paper targets at the range. I don't hunt nor I own any firearms, and I surely won't carry. I don't want to be on the battlefield, and I won't shoot at anybody.

I know signing up for the army is first before all signing up to be a soldier, and I'm okay with this part as I will most likely never have to put this training to real use, and I'm good to deal with it. I know being an amo tech also involves to deliver the goodies on the field, but usually it's not the front line/combat zone, more the artillery guys.

It's very well paid ($50 000 after training and $100 000 after a few years) and I'm confident that I have what it takes to get the job done and also enjoy the work. Downside is you're not going back home every day after work, so you have to get used to living in a military environment, but so far I've been adapting fairly easy to these kinds of life styles.

I also have a big tendency to get in troubles with girls, so I hope that getting my ass kicked at the military drill and the intensive technical training is gonna keep me away from them wimmenz and not getting lucky too much for a while.

What's you guys (and gals) think of all this ? Anyone here in the army in the same field of work as I'm looking for ? Please note I'm enrolling in the Canadian army, not US.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Canadian Army pays 50 to 100k ?

Huckin' trails

Basic infantry soldier is $30k when you start, but in my case once you complete the technician or gunsmith training (which is about a year or two total), you then get $50k base salary working these jobs, but still have the $30k+ salary anyway during the training years. Then gunsmith is up to $75k and amo tech $100k, then add bonus of all sorts for experience years, additional training, over-sea deployment, etc.

Then I get to build myself a nice big house and buy a few good bikes and enjoy 20 days of vacation per year (25 and up after 5 years). I think it's a pretty good deal so far.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member

Don't believe everything the recruiter tells you. Take everything with a grain of salt. The more money he talks about, the bigger that grain of salt should be.
    It's his job to glamorize things, make it look lucrative.
    If you can, talk to some active soldiers before signing up.

If you follow through with it, good luck and God Bless!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Signing up for the army tomorrow, any advices ?-kitbomb_cam.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Don't believe everything the recruiter tells you. Take everything with a grain of salt. The more money he talks about, the bigger that grain of salt should be.
    It's his job to glamorize things, make it look lucrative.
    If you can, talk to some active soldiers before signing up.

If you follow through with it, good luck and God Bless!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is good advice
    Round and round we go

human dehumidifier
    Make sure you have a signed contract for that training and job assignment.

My son-in-law's father retired from the RCAF. Made a decent living, got to see the world, and seems to have a real nice life now, not exactly hurting for money from what I can tell at 1000 miles away.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member

Re: Signing up for the army tomorrow, any advices ?

Like others said... Get everything in writing! Also remember every soldier is an infantryman first so if it hits the fan you will have no choice but to fire your weapon at the enemy. Buddy of mine was an HVAC tech but ended up in a humvee turret his entire first tour in Iraq. If Canada is anything like US Army... They put you where they need you. Good luck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les Misérables

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    my brother was normal before he joined the army, 10 years later he's a f'head with post traumatic stress syndrome, not depression they are different...
    Don't do it

Gnarly
    I don't think you should be basing your decision to take a job based on salary alone.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Super Clyde

Definitely don't base your decision on salary. My first enlistment in the (US) Army was based on a cash bonus. I could have had any job in the Army but I chose artillery. Now I can't hear to save my life. I was smart enough to reclass to a more marketable job when I re-upped, but some aren't or can't.

Along those same lines, what are job prospects in that line of work as a civilian? I came to a point where I HAD to get out after 9 years, and not stay in for 20 like I wanted to. Like I said, I had a marketable job skill (nursing), so it wasn't hard for me to get a civilian job. Will it be that easy for you?

Sent from a telecommunication device with a touch screen keyboard.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    What's you guys (and gals) think of all this ? Anyone here in the army in the same field of work as I'm looking for ? Please note I'm enrolling in the Canadian army, not US.

Thanks
    Joining the military is the last decision you'll ever make...you'll be told what to wear, what to eat, where to live, who you can marry, who you're friends will be...even the smallest detail will be driven by "The Book". Like becoming a priest, you'll live by "The Rules". Keep in mind that most of The Rules are unwritten.

As a Canadian vet...RCE, back in the day, you need to revisit that salary grid...you'd be making more than your Lt. Colonel at $100K. Your RSM tops out at a little more. I live a few miles from Base Borden and Meaford...most of the married new recruits are on welfare and visit the food banks. And Harper just reduced the danger pay and killed most of the benefits for wounded vets. Don't believe what the recruiter tells you...that's how they got me.

Also, under Harper, you're no more than cannon fodder. Back in my day, being a Peacekeeper in places like Cyprus was as bad as it got...under Harper you're considered a Peacemaker, a very different concept, especially in Afghanistan or Syria. Remember, where NATO goes, you go.

An armorer is a good job, I'd prefer the quartermaster or supply regiments, but it's stable but very hard to get into. If you're thinking of enlisting, try joining the reserve then transfer to full time if you like it. Be prepared...most of the officers are idiots, the NCO's are sadists and high school dropouts. Consider RMC?

Lastly, be prepared to relocate with little notice...most posting last only a few years...

The only thing I learned in the RCE is that it's more fun blowing up a bridge than building one.

You need to see this:

DGCB - Regular Force and Class C Officer Rates - 2013

DGCB - Regular Force and Class C NCM Rates - 2013

Huckin' trails
    I'm not looking at the army as the "army", but more as a tech job. If it doesn't turn out the way I like, I'll just go do something else. I know you're usually engaging for a minimal period of X years and if they decide to send you to war, you don't have the choice (well you always have the choice, but the options aren't very fun either way).

I was looking at many job and career and on my list I had gunsmith, electrician and elevator mechanic, and a few other ones in the same fashion. Like I said before, I always loved guns and blowing up random stuff, and if it wasn't for the fact I am against all form of violence (except video games, coz it's a game, not the real world), I'd be trying to get in the local SWAT team already. With a career adviser, we've checked out many programs, like gunsmith (which I would love even more than bike mechanics), but also the job opportunities and yes, salary. I want a job with minimal $60k income, not having to manage a team or make stressful decisions, actually nothing to build up stress to an extend, which has manual work and involve no sitting in front of a computer, no work to bring back home, not have to worry about tomorrow and with a quick and easy (for me) schooling.

I would do great with electrician, good income and no sweat, same as mechanic, but these aren't as exciting as guns and amo. Plus gunsmith course are only given at one school a few hours away, so I'd have to move there, and then you wont get much more than $20/h, unless you're some kind of gun guru and open your own awesome shop (which I won't). Then I also checked out the offering for such jobs in the army and saw Weapons Technician (FORCES.CA - Weapons Technician - Land) and Ammunition Technician (FORCES.CA - Ammunition Technician), which both are quite the kind of job I would love to do (I don't mind working hard if I'm having fun, mountain biking is the same). I haven't been approach by a recruiter, and I am gathering as much info as I can first before accepting the job offer. When I say "signing up", it's because I first have to do the basic army enrolling request, to see if I can even go in the army, which takes a few months. Meanwhile I will keep getting to know more and more about this kind of job and until I receive a job employment letter from them and accept it, I'm not taking any engagement. I am aware of all the little fine-prints and I have good people and family around me to guide me trough these kind of decisions.

On a side-note, yesterday I also signed up for Electricity course, so I'm keeping a few doors open. I already also have a graphic designer degree and I can always work as a bike mechanic for the rest of my days in worst case haha.

Huckin' trails
    I saw that already. Easy maths shows 33.6k first year, 41.1k second year, and 49.4k third year, which is the base salary for first year gun or amo tech (because you have over 2 years of training for both). And that's Private rank. But as long as I'm getting paid and having fun, $40-50k give or take isn't much of a deal for me. Thanks anyway

EMBA Member
    My dad (US Army during WW II) always said the most important thing to know when in the military is to never ever volunteer for anything.

High Desert MTBer
    As an army brat, I could never understand anyone's desire to join the forces, but I guess I just hate being institutionalised. Each to their own, but I value some autonomy in my life.
    It's all Here. Now.

human dehumidifier
    I'm not looking at the army as the "army", but more as a tech job. If it doesn't turn out the way I like, I'll just go do something else. I know you're usually engaging for a minimal period of X years and if they decide to send you to war, you don't have the choice (well you always have the choice, but the options aren't very fun either way).
    One of my favorite quotes "You can lie to whoever you want, but never lie to yourself."

I think you'd be better served by a few years of real life, before you spoil your pacifist outlook by seeing people blown to bits in the desert.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I'm not looking at the army as the "army", but more as a tech job.
    If you want a tech job, get a tech job. If you are good, you will earn more.

If you want an extended childhood and lack of responsibilities - go study some natural sciences in college, and then get a tech job. Six years doing Ph.D. is better than six years in the army. Not by much, but still. I enjoyed it.

We can't find enough good engineers around here, and pay is good. Even quality assurance monk...^H^H entry level techs easily get double the numbers you quoted.

Go to the army if you want to go to the army. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever, but it is not something else. Of course my only limited experience was with the Soviet army, so I am biased.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    As an army brat, I could never understand anyone's desire to join the forces, but I guess I just hate being institutionalised. Each to their own, but I value some autonomy in my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    One of my favorite quotes "You can lie to whoever you want, but never lie to yourself."

I think you'd be better served by a few years of real life, before you spoil your pacifist outlook by seeing people blown to bits in the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    If you want a tech job, get a tech job. If you are good, you will earn more.

We can't find enough good engineers around here, and pay is good. Even quality assurance monk...^H^H entry level techs easily get double the numbers you quoted.

Go to the army if you want to go to the army. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever, but it is not something else. Of course my only limited experience was with the Soviet army, so I am biased.
    I'm not for the "war" either. And I don't want to be an engineer either. And I don't wish to go to combat. I'll make sure that the job they offer me won't involve anything I'm against with, like actually firing on people outside my country. But if we ever get invade here, I won't have any problem firing back, because I'd rather do so than hide in a basement while strangers are trying to invade my own house. If they can't offer me the job I want, I'll go somewhere else. But if it turns out the way I like, that's good all good.

I just completed the first entry form, so I still have many steps to go before even being sure I can get a job there. And I think I could use some more discipline for a few months in my life at the drill.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    like actually firing on people outside my country.
    I thought that's the fun part.

And I think I could use some more discipline for a few months in my life at the drill.
    Get married and have a kid.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Signing up for the army tomorrow, any advices ?

I would consider another means of making an income. From what I've read in this thread, it doesn't seem like you should take it up for a tech position.

I'd recommend continuing your education instead. Don't be in a rush to get 'disciplined'
    It's all indoctrination one way or another, may as well kick back and study hard.

mtbr member
    When they start... and they will ! ,

Ask them to use their inside voice. Explain, You're 6 " away from them for cripes sake.
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

mtbr member
    And I don't wish to go to combat.
    Then don't enter the military. Plain and simple.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

human dehumidifier
    I'll make sure that the job they offer me won't involve anything I'm against with, like actually firing on people outside my country.
    I refer you again to my favorite quote above, and other posts pointing out that recruiters are lying sacks of ****, and wish you well in whatever you decide.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Don't do it, its the absolute WORST thing one could do with their life. Besides, you will just wind up working for the banks and killing innocent people anyways. Pick a respectable career instead.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast