Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Shutdown Passion

Ever the optimist, I'll take the forced time off to ride more.

Go ride!
    2002 Giant Rincon
    2012 Diamondback Podium 3
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29
    2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 2

Rogue Exterminator
    I think congress should forfeit their pay until the issue is resolved.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Your Best Friend

Re: Shutdown Passion

Apparently I'm "essential" staff so I still have to go to work, I'm just not getting paid for what I do. Wish I could go riding all day.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I decided to take the time to work on my bikes, unfortunately the work multiplied when I found some problems. Oh well...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Time for a new millennial Sedona 5?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My thoughts also.
    Because, one is never enough.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm "essential" staff, so I'm still working. We're funded for 10 days. After that, we work without pay until a funding bill is passed.

mtbr member
    We are good for a couple of weeks but when the money runs out we will designate essential staff. I don't feel essential.

human dehumidifier
    I'm not essential. As if I didn't know that already.
    I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

mtbr member
    I'm one of the 40% of dopes that pays more in taxes that the benefits he receives. I'll be working today... and tomorrow...

mtbr member
    I'm also essential. But only as a payer of taxes.

How much further ???
    So when you shutdown your electric service you don't have to continue paying an electric bill. When you shutoff your cell service you dont keep paying your cell phone bill. So I can I stop paying my taxes now?

Yeah I know I know ...... how stupid of me......
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've been deemed non-essential. After all, I'm only the boss!

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I'm working, but I'm not being paid

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I work with the Forest Service both for my job and also with our local mountain bike non profit so I know a lot of folks there. I really feel for them, they're good folks.. They've been laid off without any idea of when they'll get their next paycheck. They all have bills to pay and families to support just like everyone else.

Not only that but it delays work that we had planned.

Friggin tea baggers need to go a month or so without any pay.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I guess, the federal workers get to see what the private sector is like now.

What I don't understand is why the govt can't leave stuff open, but with no services. Why kick people out of a campground because the water is shut off?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    So when you shutdown your electric service you don't have to continue paying an electric bill. When you shutoff your cell service you dont keep paying your cell phone bill. So I can I stop paying my taxes now?

Yeah I know I know ...... how stupid of me......
    Yep, pretty stupid, because there are essential services still going on, like traffic lights, emergency response, air traffic control, etc. And taxes are collected once a year, so it's not even remotely the same thing...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post

What I don't understand is why the govt can't leave stuff open, but with no services. Why kick people out of a campground because the water is shut off?
    Because it's 1 or 5% of people that screw it up for everyone. The ones that think it's funny to poop on the floor and throw TP all over the bathroom, the ones that leave their garbage all over the picnic area, the ones that don't put out their fires/bbqs, the ones that might get hurt and then sue, the ones that might abandon their car there. Yes, I realize that you are inconvenienced, but any one of these things can cause mega-man-hours for the agency when the government does "re-open". I'm thinking you'll survive though..

Elitest thrill junkie

As if we've never worked in the private sector? Please, don't hold back when expressing your hate next time. As if your company decides to "shut down" for a few days, then miraculously spring back to life? How often does that happen to you?

Elitest thrill junkie
    So to change the topic back to lighthearted discontentment, I've found the following issues with my bikes during furlough:

Bike A

-L/H PF30 bearing shot.
    -Warrantied rear shifter, shifting seems to take a LOT of effort though, seems somewhere there's some excessive friction, but I can't find it, replaced cable twice in attempt.

Bike B
    -Derailleur cable frayed.
    -Chain had too many links.
    -Rear hub coming apart (cone/end adjustment loose).

Done the following:

-Taken off both chains, reajusted bike B's.
    -Installed flat pedals on bike B.
    -Drilled the fat-tire rims on bike B and installed glow-in-the-dark tape in the holes (multi-day process requiring tools and time, but finally done).
    -Attempted to convert fat-tire-rims to tubeless (failed).
    -Changed shifter and cables 3x on bike A (first time confirmed shifter was jammed and needed to be returned).
    -Removed cranks on bike A to troubleshoot rough pedaling, found PF30 bearing shot.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Without federal workers, most of the things you take for granted wouldn't be available to you. How do you know that many haven't come from the private sector? There are 800,000 people out of work and not being paid right now. How do you think they feel about all of this? Do you think these 800,000 have a choice in the matter? Next time think before you post a comment like that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dharel1705 View Post
    Without federal workers, most of the things you take for granted wouldn't be available to you. How do you know that many haven't come from the private sector? There are 800,000 people out of work and not being paid right now. How do you think they feel about all of this? Do you think these 800,000 have a choice in the matter? Next time think before you post a comment like that.
    Reality is unfortunately unpleasant sometimes.

mtbr member
    Really???

Worked in the private sector 20+ years before getting my fed job in 2010. Also owned my own business. Was laid off before too.

For the record, the agency I work for is 8 people below our staffing levels just to maintain salaries for the other 25 people. We also laid off people two years ago. So thinking that the private sector is so much worse is baloney.

BTW, I did much better financially in the private sector. My fed job has no pension, bonuses, overtime pay or profit sharing. My medical expenses are more and my 401k matching is less. I have gotten raises the last three years because I scored at the highest level for evaluations. They were all mid 3 digit raises. Not the prime fluff job everyone thinks it is.

And taking heat as a fed employee because congress are also feds is BS. The American people would be very sorry to see my agency shutdown.

Rant done, flame suit on.

mtbr member
    Looks like an aggrieved woman has tried to take it to the whitehouse.... fox news.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Actually the shutdown doesn't affect me. I am not inconvienced at all. I am just saying people have been getting laid off right and left for years. Govt jobs have been secure.

It is amazing when the shoes is on the other foot, who gets all offensive. I take it some of the offensive govt workers haven't saved any money to weather the storm.

And We pay our taxes more than once a year, But that is another whole topic on itself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast