Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shutdown

Meatbomb

Shutdown

Bummer. I left my boat in a slip on Lake Powell with plans to go up for one last trip next week before the cold weather moved in and I bring it home to use local.

Lake Powell is now shut down so all I can do is drive 4 hours each way to retrieve it. I'm disputing the slip fee on my credit card if not refunded.

Lake Powell entrances are now manned by Law Enforcement officers. Those with personal property (i.e. houseboat, trailer, etc.) may enter the park to access their property. You may come and go on the road ways but you cannot access the lake to enjoy Lake Powell. You may reside in your personal houseboat while on a buoy or in a slip but you cannot leave that location to go out on the lake. (I am unsure how one without a boat will get to his houseboat on a buoy.)

If on the lake before government shut down you may continue to enjoy the lake. Here is the verbiage from NPS documents.

"Overnight visitors will no longer be allowed to enter and those already here will be given 48 hours to make alternate arrangements and depart the park. Visitors in the back country, including remote areas on the lake, will be advised to leave but will allowed to complete their trip.

All land and water based fueling operations will remain open for official use and returning guests. Businesses will be allowed to enter the park to retrieve their customers."

Dangling rope is open to provide gas to those returning from an extended trip uplake.

Ramps maintain the normal night time soft closure with cones blocking access at the top of the ramp. Those returning from a trip may move the cones to retrieve their boats.

gobsmacked Moderator
    You know that some people don't have jobs right now, right?

banned
    Sep 2012
    Yeah, shame on you for not shutting down your life because others are locked out of their jobs due to silly politics. And then you have the nerve to come to an off topic forum on a recreational activity site and ***** about it. What are you, some careless 1%er? Geez.

Meatbomb
    Wow .. tough crowd... I'll be in the corner flogging myself with a rubber chicken.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Sorry, forgot to hit the sarcasm key when I typed my response out.

But go ahead and flog on, pics or it didn't happen.

mtbr member
    People could DIE, people!!!!! This is no time for sarcasm or humour!!!!

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by OCtrailMonkey View Post
    Sorry, forgot to hit the sarcasm key when I typed my response out.

But go ahead and flog on, pics or it didn't happen.

Was not replying to you.. I saw your humor.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post

Yes, I realize this. What am I suppose to do about it?

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    What am I suppose to do about it?
    get out the rubber chicken and use it religiously that way no need to ask.
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    are you gloating?

gobsmacked Moderator

Shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    are you gloating?
    Yes. I'm super happy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This thread has fun with sharp knives written all over it.

I'm just messing with you
    It's my tea party sponsored vacation.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Don't you realize that they shut the Panda Cam down and you are more concerned with your boat? PANDA CAM IS GONE!
    God Fearin', Rock'N Rollin', Gun Totin' Texan!

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Yeah, shame on you for not shutting down your life because others are locked out of their jobs due to silly politics. And then you have the nerve to come to an off topic forum on a recreational activity site and ***** about it. What are you, some careless 1%er? Geez.
    1%'er ha,ha,ha,ha.....
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

mtbr member
    I was trying to get a couple topo maps ( read: poach and print)
    For some pig hunting this fall, the dilly dang USGS is CLOSED !!

This totally sucketh mightily
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

mtbr member

Shutdown

Time to ride PCT, CDT, etc
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Haha... If a MTBer rides the PCT but no rangers are around to witness it, did the MTBer really ride the PCT?

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    I was trying to get a couple topo maps ( read: poach and print)
    For some pig hunting this fall, the dilly dang USGS is CLOSED !!

This totally sucketh mightily

HAH! Just as I thought, The PIGS are behind it all!!!
    It's all Here. Now.

Super Clyde
    Damn the pigs!!!!

Sent from my iPad while drinking the kool aid.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

gobsmacked Moderator

Shutdown

So much pig hate. They make me bacon and chops. Mmmmm.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Just got back from riding the PCT. Told every hiker/horse rider I saw to F.O.

It's good to be the King again...

check your six
    My fishing spots are closed.. yet they still have 11 White House chefs on staff... Irony or idiocracy?
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Someone slap Hawg in the hinny with some rep....

I dont want to.. I dont know where his hinny has been.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak View Post
    My fishing spots are closed..
    Now that's a true tragedy and I do feel for you.

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Now that's a true tragedy and I do feel for you.
    It is sh*tty, but there are others in much worse shape. However, I am a part of HOW (Heroes on the Water) Appalachian chapter. We have a scheduled kayak bass fishing tourney this weekend with many wounded vets and that is going to be postponed until river access opens back up. I feel bad for the vets who are looking forward to this. We are trying to find a local who lives on the Potomac willing to let us access the water from their property. Hopefully we can work something out by Sunday.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

Binned
    Nov 2008
    It is sh*tty, but there are others in much worse shape. However, I am a part of HOW (Heroes on the Water) Appalachian chapter. We have a scheduled kayak bass fishing tourney this weekend with many wounded vets and that is going to be postponed until river access opens back up. I feel bad for the vets who are looking forward to this. We are trying to find a local who lives on the Potomac willing to let us access the water from their property. Hopefully we can work something out by Sunday.
    Fingers crossed

banned
    Sep 2010
    I always hope for a silver lining to every cloud. I'll keep you all posted on my findings.
    That's all for now.

~Disc~Golf~
    seriously?

I mean, really?

Some peoples' kids - I'll tell ya what
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Rod
    mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about your trip being postponed due to political squabbling. Hopefully things will get back to normal again soon.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

banned
    Jun 2007
    Returned from PA yesterday, and stopped by Allegrippis to do the unmentionable. Saw very few boats out on Raystown Lake, rode Hydro Loop w/ Dale who drove there for a local bass tournament. Discovered Susquehannock c/g closed, and had NO idea the extended reach of this shutdown.
    (sodak - check on O.R.P. for a possible launch site)
    Without being politically biased, I noticed the below on bookface, and feel she says what all of us are thinking...

THINK THIS LADY IS PISSED?

Alan Simpson, the Senator from Wyoming calls senior citizens the Greediest Generation as he compared "Social Security " to a Milk Cow with 310 million teats. Here's a response in a letter from PATTY MYERS in Montana ... I think she is a little ticked off! She also tells it like it is!

"Hey Alan, let's get a few things straight!!!
    1. As a career politician, you have been on the public dole (tit) for FIFTY YEARS.

2. I have been paying Social Security taxes for 48 YEARS (since I was 15 years old. I am now 63).

3. My Social Security payments, and those of millions of other Americans, were safely tucked away in an interest bearing account for decades until you political pukes decided to raid the account and give OUR money to a bunch of zero losers in return for votes, thus bankrupting the system and turning Social Security into a Ponzi scheme that would make Bernie Madoff proud.

4. Recently, just like Lucy & Charlie Brown, you and "your ilk" pulled the proverbial football away from millions of American seniors nearing retirement and moved the goalposts for full retirement from age 65 to age, 67. NOW, you and your "shill commission" are proposing to move the goalposts YET AGAIN.

5. I, and millions of other Americans, have been paying into Medicare from Day One, and now "you morons" propose to change the rules of the game. Why? Because "you idiots" mismanaged other parts of the economy to such an extent that you need to steal our money from Medicare to pay the bills.

6. I, and millions of other Americans, have been paying income taxes our entire lives, and now you propose to increase our taxes yet again. Why? Because you "incompetent bastards" spent our money so profligately that you just kept on spending even after you ran out of money. Now, you come to the American taxpayers and say you need more to pay off YOUR debt.
    To add insult to injury, you label us "greedy" for calling "********" to your incompetence.

Well, Captain ********, I have a few questions for YOU:

1. How much money have you earned from the American taxpayers during your pathetic 50-year political career?

2. At what age did you retire from your pathetic political career, and how much are you receiving in annual retirement benefits from the American taxpayers?

3. How much do you pay for YOUR government provided health insurance?

4. What cuts in YOUR retirement and healthcare benefits are you proposing in your disgusting deficit reduction proposal, or as usual, have you exempted yourself and your political cronies?

It is you, Captain ********, and your political co-conspirators called Congress who are the "greedy" ones. It is you and your fellow nutcase thieves who have bankrupted America and stolen the American dream from millions of loyal, patriotic taxpayers.

And for what? Votes and your job and retirement security at our expense, you lunk-headed, leech. That's right, sir. You and yours have bankrupted America for the sole purpose of advancing your pathetic, political careers. You know it, we know it, and you know that we know it. And you can take that to the bank, you miserable son of a *****.

P.S. And stop calling Social Security benefits "entitlements". WHAT AN INSULT!!!!

I have been paying in to the SS system for 45 years “It's my money”-give it back to me the way the system was designed and stop patting yourself on the back like you are being generous by doling out these monthly checks."

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Politics and politicians make me sick. It's a big joke, they're the only ones laughing.

mtbr member
    On a serious note, the situation is much worse than almost anyone understands. The system isn't broke because government has been spending too much money; in fact government expenditures as a % of GDP have barely increased at all over the decades. There's several reasons for the collapse we're seeing: 1) taxes to the ultra rich have progressively been lowered, 2) we have a debt-base monetary system whereby all money is created out of debt. This is by design an exponential system and requires perpetual exponential growth to function, in a finite world that cannot grow, 3) the US dollar has been the global reserve currency for 50 years which has enabled huge trade deficits to be maintained, and has resulted in a huge dependence on foreign oil, and has resulted in an unnatural shift of manufacturing over to China, 4) that reserve currency status is now coming to an end, 5) the US hit Peak Oil in 1971 and production has been going down ever since, with a few temporary upticks, but no significant advances have been made in alternative energy, 6) in order to mask these problems, interest rates have been dropped form 17% in 1982 to 0% today, and they cannot go any lower, 7) there are no longer any buyers of US government debt; almost all of it now comes from the Federal Reserve printing up monopoly money, 8) this is a recipe for an upcoming hyperinflation and destruction of the purchasing power of the US dollar.

banned
    EnTEATlements.

mtbr member

Afric Pepperbird
    Why does the shutdown necessitate my local BLM website to default to the Depart of the Interior website? That's stupid!

banned
    Sep 2007
    That is a false statement... folks are on "furlough" until further notice. They still have jobs, just no work right now, and no paycheck. Anyone that works a government funded job or works union has to budget accordingly and prepare for the inevitable strike or shutdown.

What year is the last year that Obama signed a budget produced by Congress, I ask?

banned
    Sep 2007
    This is why I didn't buy a season pass to Yellowstone National Park in Mid September... it would be worthless October 1st.

I think all golf courses should be shut down... for the good of the country

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank N. Byke View Post
    I'd think that it would be the agency's responsibility to have contingencies in place,
    The Union could have had a written contract to not be furloughed or receive a lower percentage on their paycheck when this time came.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyonadyke View Post

NO !... who wants their assholy'O manager hanging around..using this month catchphrase.... not I.

mtbr member

Shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by Frank N. Byke View Post
    Some peoples kids are without formula....

Almost a million people (only 25% of our government) were/are instantly without jobs. That's a damn powerful decision.
    Really?!?!
    You need to stop listening to the scaremongering and hand-wringing in the media. Nobody is out of a job because of the shutdown. They are on furloughs.
    They will be paid in full when the government opens back up.
    Anybody working for the federal government should be prepared for these situations. They happen often enough.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What year is the last year that Obama signed a budget produced by Congress, I ask?
    It's a bit on the complicated side, but I don't think Congress has even passed a budget since 2009. The budget has become a political tactic:

PolitiFact | Romney says Obama failed to pass a budget

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm furloughed. Wondering how to make ends meet. Guess I can always move back into Mom's basement.
    Nothing is impossible to him who will try. Alexander the Great

It didn't just lay off civil servants, who for all I know get back pay, but contractors, no. I was lucky to have 80 hrs of accrued PTO, if you can call never having the ability to take time off lucky. I sure as heck won't be getting any of that money for nothing you're hinting at there.

We were prohibited from using government assets as of noon on the first day, and authorization to bill against our contract was revoked. If I don't charge time, I don't get paid. Pretty simple really and don't see why it would be any other way for anyone else. Except for elected officials of course, because they're SPECIAL.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

U sayin' Bolt ?
    How has our right to vote become our right to pick which of two aceholes gets to blow our dough and put debt on our heads?

Hard to believe the whole thing goes to pot and threatens the world economy when they can't borrow more money, less than 6 months after April 15.

Why not get rid of all of them and let the folks who fund the show vote on the laws? Shut it down and send em home, put that on the ballot.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Legalize it! That'll get money pumping through our system...

*Ducks and runs for cover*

Meatbomb

I played 36 holes today. I guess I am bad for the country.

check your six

No need to run... That is something I have been saying for a long time now. But, this solution makes sense.. something that is lacking in our gov't. TO them that's "crazy talk".

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I played 36 holes today. I guess I am bad for the country.
    Quit flaunting your 1%~~!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    No need to run... That is something I have been saying for a long time now. But, this solution makes sense.. something that is lacking in our gov't. TO them that's "crazy talk".
    Would certainly pare down the debt in a hurry. We'll see how much it does for WA and CO budgets. If the money rolls in as expected, the rest of the country won't be far behind.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 10-03-2013 at 10:04 PM.

mtbr member
    If you guys want to learn about what's really going on with the government and the US dollar and international <strike>crime</strike>, ahem, finance, you should follow Harvey Organ's blog. Also, this interview today is pretty good. It's really interesting how the internet allows you to learn about some VERY secretive and profound things about how the world works, if you're willing to look and learn...

Fighting for a fair game in the gold market - CNBC

The Organized Crime / Banking At Its Finest Show | Lars Schall

Harvey Organ's - The Daily Gold and Silver Report

mtbr member

Now we're talking. I'll be doing my part as a citizen to help pay down the debt a bit.. Looking forward to an overnight layover in Seattle on my way to Alaska next year. "Just running out to get a newspaper, honey!"

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by knutso View Post
    How has our right to vote become our right to pick which of two aceholes gets to blow our dough and put debt on our heads?

Hard to believe the whole thing goes to pot and threatens the world economy when they can't borrow more money, less than 6 months after April 15.

Why not get rid of all of them and let the folks who fund the show vote on the laws? Shut it down and send em home, put that on the ballot.
    Well, I'm not the dumbfcuk who voted for these clowns.
    I vote almost ANYTHING-but Dem or Rep.
    I'm (along with others) are waiting for all of you who bltch about either D or R to actually put your vote where your mouth is

(not necessarily directed at you knutso)

~Disc~Golf~
    not 'crazy talk' at all!
    Timber, Textiles, Energy, Pharma,and Prison all are bankrolling the thing.
    These fcuks listen to $, not their constituents or common sense (as if that's a secret) *minus a few

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    If you guys want to learn about what's really going on with the government and the US dollar and international <strike>crime</strike>, ahem, finance, you should follow Harvey Organ's blog. Also, this interview today is pretty good. It's really interesting how the internet allows you to learn about some VERY secretive and profound things about how the world works, if you're willing to look and learn...

Fighting for a fair game in the gold market - CNBC

The Organized Crime / Banking At Its Finest Show | Lars Schall

Harvey Organ's - The Daily Gold and Silver Report
    if only people would wake up

High Desert MTBer
    I wonder if Fed prisons shut down too? All the inmates just free to walk out... that'd shake things up! I think they should take out a lot of the prisoners that are serving major time for some of the BS offences they have been put in there for, and replace them with the true criminals that are feted in the worlds of finance and corporate robbery; many of whom are running the prisons...
    It's all Here. Now.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I wonder if Fed prisons shut down too? All the inmates just free to walk out... that'd shake things up! I think they should take out a lot of the prisoners that are serving major time for some of the BS offences they have been put in there for, and replace them with the true criminals that are feted in the worlds of finance and corporate robbery; many of whom are running the prisons...
    I've seen several studies that show that the same sociopathic characteristics that criminals display are displayed by many of the high-powered CEO-types. Many of the most successful people are high-functioning psychopaths.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    successful people are high-functioning psychopaths.
    So... now we've confirmed I'm no psychopath...

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    So... now we've confirmed I'm no psychopath...

Join the club!

I've seen several studies that show that the same sociopathic characteristics that criminals display are displayed by many of the high-powered CEO-types. Many of the most successful people are high-functioning psychopaths.
    Many? I think they're more likely sociopaths, than psychopaths.

Psychopath vs Sociopath - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

Mitt Romney is a sociopath. John Wayne Gacy was a psychopath.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    Many? I think they're more likely sociopaths, than psychopaths.

Psychopath vs Sociopath - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

Mitt Romney is a sociopath. John Wayne Gacy was a psychopath.

Thanks for clearing that up, and for the link. I feel a lot better now!

mtbr member
    Day 4 of no panda cam.
    Life is tough, have resorted to some Koala Cam in a third world country called Ozzstralia. Buffering is terrible, grainy feed, and I think the Koala is a stuffed bear. All it does is sit in a tree all day. Don't know how much longer I can watch.
    God Fearin', Rock'N Rollin', Gun Totin' Texan!

mtbr member
    The cream rises to the top ... so does the scum.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TxVeno View Post
    Life is tough, have resorted to some Koala Cam in a third world country called Ozzstralia. Buffering is terrible, grainy feed, and I think the Koala is a stuffed bear. All it does is sit in a tree all day. Don't know how much longer I can watch.
    Wait for it to drop on an unsuspecting mtn biker riding below.

I bet the funding for this didn't stop
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wE3fmFTtP9g?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sweeeeet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Really?!?!
    You need to stop listening to the scaremongering and hand-wringing in the media. Nobody is out of a job because of the shutdown. They are on furloughs.
    Anybody working for the federal government should be prepared for these situations. They happen often enough.
    I don't believe the above statements are quite correct. The federal employees that have been declared "essential" or "excepted" (depending on an agency's terminology) and continue to work, will eventually receive the pay for the work that they continue to perform during the shutdown. The employees that are actually furloughed, and have been told to stay home until further notice, will not get paid unless Congress passes an exception to provide back pay to those personnel. In my almost 30 years as a federal employee, I believe a shutdown has only actually occurred twice, even though there have been multiple threats of Continuing Resolution issues during that timeframe. In both cases, Congress has generously elected to provide back pay to furloughed employees. I say "generously", as it is not a requirement to do so.

Part of me does not believe the government should provide back pay. No work no pay. Another part of me says if there's no "punishment", the door opens to abuse the ability to shut down for a day or two and call it a savings. The next thing you know the puppet masters will have convinced the fringe that it should be a law to save money, for example gov employees only get 11 months work per year, netting the same effect of cutting 1/12th of the workforce.

Part of me does not believe the government should provide back pay. No work no pay. Another part of me says if there's no "punishment", the door opens to abuse the ability to shut down for a day or two and call it a savings. The next thing you know the puppet masters will have convinced the fringe that it should be a law to save money, for example gov employees only get 11 months work per year, netting the same effect of cutting 1/12th of the workforce.
    Sneaky bastards, and they would convince the workers that the one month off is a benefit for working for the government.
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

If they had to go a month without pay, some will find it tough to save enough money per year to make it through that month, if you know what I mean.

Yep!

mtbr member
    Politicians and diapers are similar, both need frequent replacement for the same reason...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

gobsmacked Moderator
    That is a false statement... folks are on "furlough" until further notice. They still have jobs, just no work right now, and no paycheck. Anyone that works a government funded job or works union has to budget accordingly and prepare for the inevitable strike or shutdown.

Nope, that was not a false statement. There are tons of vendors and others that are affected. It's not just people that get a government paycheck that are affected. There are gas stations inside national parks. There are stores; there are janitors in museums; so many other things. There are so many people that are not working and won't see a cent. I have a big government contract that we depend on. We've been put on notice that it's suspended. No order, no money, no job.

I guess I'll just spend more time here watching you guys. MWAH HAA HAAAAA.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Ripple effect: http://www.nytimes.com/news/fiscal-c...-workers/?_r=0

Lockheed Martin furloughs 3000 workers.

~Disc~Golf~

gobsmacked Moderator
    I suggest you revise your post, please.

~Disc~Golf~
    I suggest you revise your post, please.
    Revised - but then again it's fitting, as Americans are the only ones to have a hang-up on that 'C-Word' (Ask a Brit or an aussie - that word is tossed around and really carries little weight)
    As the most hated, derogatory term in the USA, I believe it fits them well.

While we're at it ... why is it fine to say that person is a dick, but I can't say that person is a "C-WORD"?

mtbr member
    My friend's wife is Mexican and we drop the c and f words all the time. She doesn't understand why it's so bad. But if we ever say chingera .... ooh we're in trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    Revised - but then again it's fitting, as Americans are the only ones to have a hang-up on that 'C-Word' (Ask a Brit or an aussie - that word is tossed around and really carries little weight)
    As the most hated, derogatory term in the USA, I believe it fits them well.

While we're at it ... why is it fine to say that person is a dick, but I can't say that person is a "C-WORD"?

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    My friend's wife is Mexican and we drop the c and f words all the time. She doesn't understand why it's so bad. But if we ever say chingera .... ooh we're in trouble.
    heheh
    well, both of my examples above are chingeras then!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Make it permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    Politicians and diapers are similar, both need frequent replacement for the same reason...
    Yeah but you have to replace them with improved models. The main drivers in this mess are new members of Congress listening to the fringe of society and calling it the majority. Sticking with your analogy, in this case I think they changed a pissy diaper for a shitty one.

mtbr member
    Yeah but you have to replace them with improved models. The main drivers in this mess are new members of Congress listening to the fringe of society and calling it the majority. Sticking with your analogy, in this case I think they changed a pissy diaper for a shitty one.
    LOL! True that.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

Axe
    Custom User Title
    They are listening to the voters in their gerrymandered districts. And they are no more arrogant than those ones who pushed through the law they are now trying to amend.

Listening to majority is not better anyway. Majority of people can not balance their own damn checkbook - and you want them to budget the country?

banned
    Sep 2007
    Nope, that was not a false statement. There are tons of vendors and others that are affected. It's not just people that get a government paycheck that are affected. There are gas stations inside national parks. There are stores; there are janitors in museums; so many other things. There are so many people that are not working and won't see a cent. I have a big government contract that we depend on. We've been put on notice that it's suspended. No order, no money, no job.

I guess I'll just spend more time here watching you guys. MWAH HAA HAAAAA.
    Were you not taught to never put all your eggs in one basket? I don't want to depend on the government for anything except military defense and national security. Everything else, they screw up, including your paycheck. Gotta get off the government teat for your contract work. Private sector, baby! I learned that very early on when I quit working for Litton Defense Industries. Salaried exempt in Program Finance my azz, lose the program, lose my job. Filled in a time card, when I'm salaried? WTF is up with that?

~Disc~Golf~

banned
    Sep 2010
    My new next-door neighbor told me he works for the Federal Gov. and he and wife are expecting twins, in just a few weeks. He got put on furlough. The kid's only 26, and already I can see the signs of pretty severe stress on his face. I feel really sorry for them.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    In Cali (maybe everywhere?) it's not just Fed/Govt stuff that's closed down, it's also at least some of the State Parks. We were shocked to find that the trails we like to ride within a State Park were closed due to the shut down. Do you think that stopped us?

banned
    Sep 2010
    In Cali (maybe everywhere?) it's not just Fed/Govt stuff that's closed down, it's also at least some of the State Parks. We were shocked to find that the trails we like to ride within a State Park were closed due to the shut down. Do you think that stopped us?
    If it would just cool down on a weekend now, and if none of our back country pyromaniacs don't start what's left of our local forest ablaze, I'm aiming to do just that, too!

Binned
    Nov 2008
    If it would just cool down on a weekend now, and if none of our back country pyromaniacs don't start what's left of our local forest ablaze, I'm aiming to do just that, too!
    Go early to beat the heat. That's what we did.

AZ
    banned
    Good time to ride the Grand Canyon?

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Good time to ride the Grand Canyon?
    Hell yeah, imagine blasting down the South Rim to the river below! Get up there and let us know how it went!

banned
    Sep 2010
    Go early to beat the heat. That's what we did.
    I used to do that all the time, and if this weather pattern keeps on holding, I'm just gonna have to do it, again.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Hell yeah, imagine blasting down the South Rim to the river below! Get up there and let us know how it went!
    yeah, let us know what bail is and your court date too. ;-)

banned
    Sep 2010
    Yep...there is a thread floating about around here speculating on that, and the overall opinion is not very optimistic.
    I'm definitely a a "silver lining" kinda guy when it comes to just about everything, but riding the main trail in the Grand Canyon is sadly not part of good things surrounding this shut-down.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Oh come on! Where's your imagination?! You wear a compact inflatable life jacket over your riding garb and pull the string when you get to the bottom right before you jump into the river and float down to Lake Mead. See, they gotta catch you first if their gonna slap you with some penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    They are listening to the voters in their gerrymandered districts. And they are no more arrogant than those ones who pushed through the law they are now trying to amend.

Listening to majority is not better anyway. Majority of people can not balance their own damn checkbook - and you want them to budget the country?
    What I want is for the smug bastards to look straight in the camera and not lie. Since you're pointing out what would be "better", you should agree that would be a great improvement. Also, listening to the majority is the way it should work, but then money.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    So many trails... so little time...

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    Airspace is pretty well controlled/monitored already, but you can still fly a kite, and I still want my own drone.

A missed opportunity to point out that industrious folks with access to the waterway will prove that the free market works. Fox - too busy spewing hate and ******** to realize a chance to show they're right about some things.

AZ
    banned
    Meh, ******** is pretty well evenly distributed by all of them.

mtbr member
    I can't figure out how a country of our size and wealth manages to be in debt 17 trillion dollars. At some point, we just aren't going to afford everything we are paying for. For the younger generation, I think this entails raising the retirement age to 70 and creating means-based benefits. I could never understand why Bush bailed out the banks with TARP. Why not let the market regulate itself? And Obama has been an overspender, like none other. If Americans live within their means, why can't our government?
    Nothing is impossible to him who will try. Alexander the Great

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast