Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shutdown

Meatbomb

Shutdown

Bummer. I left my boat in a slip on Lake Powell with plans to go up for one last trip next week before the cold weather moved in and I bring it home to use local.

Lake Powell is now shut down so all I can do is drive 4 hours each way to retrieve it. I'm disputing the slip fee on my credit card if not refunded.

Lake Powell entrances are now manned by Law Enforcement officers. Those with personal property (i.e. houseboat, trailer, etc.) may enter the park to access their property. You may come and go on the road ways but you cannot access the lake to enjoy Lake Powell. You may reside in your personal houseboat while on a buoy or in a slip but you cannot leave that location to go out on the lake. (I am unsure how one without a boat will get to his houseboat on a buoy.)

If on the lake before government shut down you may continue to enjoy the lake. Here is the verbiage from NPS documents.

"Overnight visitors will no longer be allowed to enter and those already here will be given 48 hours to make alternate arrangements and depart the park. Visitors in the back country, including remote areas on the lake, will be advised to leave but will allowed to complete their trip.

All land and water based fueling operations will remain open for official use and returning guests. Businesses will be allowed to enter the park to retrieve their customers."

Dangling rope is open to provide gas to those returning from an extended trip uplake.

Ramps maintain the normal night time soft closure with cones blocking access at the top of the ramp. Those returning from a trip may move the cones to retrieve their boats.

gobsmacked Moderator
    You know that some people don't have jobs right now, right?

banned
    Sep 2012
    Yeah, shame on you for not shutting down your life because others are locked out of their jobs due to silly politics. And then you have the nerve to come to an off topic forum on a recreational activity site and ***** about it. What are you, some careless 1%er? Geez.

Meatbomb
    Wow .. tough crowd... I'll be in the corner flogging myself with a rubber chicken.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Sorry, forgot to hit the sarcasm key when I typed my response out.

But go ahead and flog on, pics or it didn't happen.

mtbr member
    People could DIE, people!!!!! This is no time for sarcasm or humour!!!!

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by OCtrailMonkey View Post
    Sorry, forgot to hit the sarcasm key when I typed my response out.

But go ahead and flog on, pics or it didn't happen.

Was not replying to you.. I saw your humor.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post

Yes, I realize this. What am I suppose to do about it?

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    What am I suppose to do about it?
    get out the rubber chicken and use it religiously that way no need to ask.
    plus+, plus+ = win:

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    are you gloating?

gobsmacked Moderator

Shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    are you gloating?
    Yes. I'm super happy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This thread has fun with sharp knives written all over it.

I'm just messing with you
    It's my tea party sponsored vacation.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Don't you realize that they shut the Panda Cam down and you are more concerned with your boat? PANDA CAM IS GONE!
    God Fearin', Rock'N Rollin', Gun Totin' Texan!

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Yeah, shame on you for not shutting down your life because others are locked out of their jobs due to silly politics. And then you have the nerve to come to an off topic forum on a recreational activity site and ***** about it. What are you, some careless 1%er? Geez.
    1%'er ha,ha,ha,ha.....
    ---------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    I was trying to get a couple topo maps ( read: poach and print)
    For some pig hunting this fall, the dilly dang USGS is CLOSED !!

This totally sucketh mightily
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

mtbr member

Shutdown

Time to ride PCT, CDT, etc
    Its all ****s and Giggles until somebody Giggles and ****s

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Haha... If a MTBer rides the PCT but no rangers are around to witness it, did the MTBer really ride the PCT?

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    I was trying to get a couple topo maps ( read: poach and print)
    For some pig hunting this fall, the dilly dang USGS is CLOSED !!

This totally sucketh mightily

HAH! Just as I thought, The PIGS are behind it all!!!
    It's all Here. Now.

Super Clyde
    Damn the pigs!!!!

Sent from my iPad while drinking the kool aid.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

gobsmacked Moderator

Shutdown

So much pig hate. They make me bacon and chops. Mmmmm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Just got back from riding the PCT. Told every hiker/horse rider I saw to F.O.

It's good to be the King again...

check your six
    My fishing spots are closed.. yet they still have 11 White House chefs on staff... Irony or idiocracy?
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Someone slap Hawg in the hinny with some rep....

I dont want to.. I dont know where his hinny has been.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak View Post
    My fishing spots are closed..
    Now that's a true tragedy and I do feel for you.

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Now that's a true tragedy and I do feel for you.
    It is sh*tty, but there are others in much worse shape. However, I am a part of HOW (Heroes on the Water) Appalachian chapter. We have a scheduled kayak bass fishing tourney this weekend with many wounded vets and that is going to be postponed until river access opens back up. I feel bad for the vets who are looking forward to this. We are trying to find a local who lives on the Potomac willing to let us access the water from their property. Hopefully we can work something out by Sunday.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It is sh*tty, but there are others in much worse shape. However, I am a part of HOW (Heroes on the Water) Appalachian chapter. We have a scheduled kayak bass fishing tourney this weekend with many wounded vets and that is going to be postponed until river access opens back up. I feel bad for the vets who are looking forward to this. We are trying to find a local who lives on the Potomac willing to let us access the water from their property. Hopefully we can work something out by Sunday.
    Fingers crossed

banned
    Sep 2010
    I always hope for a silver lining to every cloud. I'll keep you all posted on my findings.
    That's all for now.

~Disc~Golf~
    seriously?

I mean, really?

Some peoples' kids - I'll tell ya what
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Rod
    mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about your trip being postponed due to political squabbling. Hopefully things will get back to normal again soon.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

banned
    Jun 2007
    Returned from PA yesterday, and stopped by Allegrippis to do the unmentionable. Saw very few boats out on Raystown Lake, rode Hydro Loop w/ Dale who drove there for a local bass tournament. Discovered Susquehannock c/g closed, and had NO idea the extended reach of this shutdown.
    (sodak - check on O.R.P. for a possible launch site)
    Without being politically biased, I noticed the below on bookface, and feel she says what all of us are thinking...

THINK THIS LADY IS PISSED?

Alan Simpson, the Senator from Wyoming calls senior citizens the Greediest Generation as he compared "Social Security " to a Milk Cow with 310 million teats. Here's a response in a letter from PATTY MYERS in Montana ... I think she is a little ticked off! She also tells it like it is!

"Hey Alan, let's get a few things straight!!!
    1. As a career politician, you have been on the public dole (tit) for FIFTY YEARS.

2. I have been paying Social Security taxes for 48 YEARS (since I was 15 years old. I am now 63).

3. My Social Security payments, and those of millions of other Americans, were safely tucked away in an interest bearing account for decades until you political pukes decided to raid the account and give OUR money to a bunch of zero losers in return for votes, thus bankrupting the system and turning Social Security into a Ponzi scheme that would make Bernie Madoff proud.

4. Recently, just like Lucy & Charlie Brown, you and "your ilk" pulled the proverbial football away from millions of American seniors nearing retirement and moved the goalposts for full retirement from age 65 to age, 67. NOW, you and your "shill commission" are proposing to move the goalposts YET AGAIN.

5. I, and millions of other Americans, have been paying into Medicare from Day One, and now "you morons" propose to change the rules of the game. Why? Because "you idiots" mismanaged other parts of the economy to such an extent that you need to steal our money from Medicare to pay the bills.

6. I, and millions of other Americans, have been paying income taxes our entire lives, and now you propose to increase our taxes yet again. Why? Because you "incompetent bastards" spent our money so profligately that you just kept on spending even after you ran out of money. Now, you come to the American taxpayers and say you need more to pay off YOUR debt.
    To add insult to injury, you label us "greedy" for calling "bull****" to your incompetence.

Well, Captain Bull****, I have a few questions for YOU:

1. How much money have you earned from the American taxpayers during your pathetic 50-year political career?

2. At what age did you retire from your pathetic political career, and how much are you receiving in annual retirement benefits from the American taxpayers?

3. How much do you pay for YOUR government provided health insurance?

4. What cuts in YOUR retirement and healthcare benefits are you proposing in your disgusting deficit reduction proposal, or as usual, have you exempted yourself and your political cronies?

It is you, Captain Bull****, and your political co-conspirators called Congress who are the "greedy" ones. It is you and your fellow nutcase thieves who have bankrupted America and stolen the American dream from millions of loyal, patriotic taxpayers.

And for what? Votes and your job and retirement security at our expense, you lunk-headed, leech. That's right, sir. You and yours have bankrupted America for the sole purpose of advancing your pathetic, political careers. You know it, we know it, and you know that we know it. And you can take that to the bank, you miserable son of a *****.

P.S. And stop calling Social Security benefits "entitlements". WHAT AN INSULT!!!!

I have been paying in to the SS system for 45 years “It's my money”-give it back to me the way the system was designed and stop patting yourself on the back like you are being generous by doling out these monthly checks."

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Politics and politicians make me sick. It's a big joke, they're the only ones laughing.

mtbr member
    On a serious note, the situation is much worse than almost anyone understands. The system isn't broke because government has been spending too much money; in fact government expenditures as a % of GDP have barely increased at all over the decades. There's several reasons for the collapse we're seeing: 1) taxes to the ultra rich have progressively been lowered, 2) we have a debt-base monetary system whereby all money is created out of debt. This is by design an exponential system and requires perpetual exponential growth to function, in a finite world that cannot grow, 3) the US dollar has been the global reserve currency for 50 years which has enabled huge trade deficits to be maintained, and has resulted in a huge dependence on foreign oil, and has resulted in an unnatural shift of manufacturing over to China, 4) that reserve currency status is now coming to an end, 5) the US hit Peak Oil in 1971 and production has been going down ever since, with a few temporary upticks, but no significant advances have been made in alternative energy, 6) in order to mask these problems, interest rates have been dropped form 17% in 1982 to 0% today, and they cannot go any lower, 7) there are no longer any buyers of US government debt; almost all of it now comes from the Federal Reserve printing up monopoly money, 8) this is a recipe for an upcoming hyperinflation and destruction of the purchasing power of the US dollar.

banned
    EnTEATlements.

mtbr member

Afric Pepperbird
    Why does the shutdown necessitate my local BLM website to default to the Depart of the Interior website? That's stupid!

banned
    Sep 2007
    That is a false statement... folks are on "furlough" until further notice. They still have jobs, just no work right now, and no paycheck. Anyone that works a government funded job or works union has to budget accordingly and prepare for the inevitable strike or shutdown.

What year is the last year that Obama signed a budget produced by Congress, I ask?

banned
    Sep 2007
    This is why I didn't buy a season pass to Yellowstone National Park in Mid September... it would be worthless October 1st.

I think all golf courses should be shut down... for the good of the country

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank N. Byke View Post
    I'd think that it would be the agency's responsibility to have contingencies in place,
    The Union could have had a written contract to not be furloughed or receive a lower percentage on their paycheck when this time came.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyonadyke View Post

NO !... who wants their assholy'O manager hanging around..using this month catchphrase.... not I.

mtbr member

Shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by Frank N. Byke View Post
    Some peoples kids are without formula....

Almost a million people (only 25% of our government) were/are instantly without jobs. That's a damn powerful decision.
    Really?!?!
    You need to stop listening to the scaremongering and hand-wringing in the media. Nobody is out of a job because of the shutdown. They are on furloughs.
    They will be paid in full when the government opens back up.
    Anybody working for the federal government should be prepared for these situations. They happen often enough.
    Its all ****s and Giggles until somebody Giggles and ****s

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What year is the last year that Obama signed a budget produced by Congress, I ask?
    It's a bit on the complicated side, but I don't think Congress has even passed a budget since 2009. The budget has become a political tactic:

PolitiFact | Romney says Obama failed to pass a budget

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm furloughed. Wondering how to make ends meet. Guess I can always move back into Mom's basement.

I'm just messing with you
    They will be paid in full when the government opens back up.
    It didn't just lay off civil servants, who for all I know get back pay, but contractors, no. I was lucky to have 80 hrs of accrued PTO, if you can call never having the ability to take time off lucky. I sure as heck won't be getting any of that money for nothing you're hinting at there.

We were prohibited from using government assets as of noon on the first day, and authorization to bill against our contract was revoked. If I don't charge time, I don't get paid. Pretty simple really and don't see why it would be any other way for anyone else. Except for elected officials of course, because they're SPECIAL.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

U sayin' Bolt ?
    How has our right to vote become our right to pick which of two aceholes gets to blow our dough and put debt on our heads?

Hard to believe the whole thing goes to pot and threatens the world economy when they can't borrow more money, less than 6 months after April 15.

Why not get rid of all of them and let the folks who fund the show vote on the laws? Shut it down and send em home, put that on the ballot.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Legalize it! That'll get money pumping through our system...

*Ducks and runs for cover*

Meatbomb

I played 36 holes today. I guess I am bad for the country.

check your six
    Legalize it! That'll get money pumping through our system...

*Ducks and runs for cover*
    No need to run... That is something I have been saying for a long time now. But, this solution makes sense.. something that is lacking in our gov't. TO them that's "crazy talk".

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I played 36 holes today. I guess I am bad for the country.
    Quit flaunting your 1%~~!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    No need to run... That is something I have been saying for a long time now. But, this solution makes sense.. something that is lacking in our gov't. TO them that's "crazy talk".
    Would certainly pare down the debt in a hurry. We'll see how much it does for WA and CO budgets. If the money rolls in as expected, the rest of the country won't be far behind.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 10-03-2013 at 10:04 PM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast