View Poll Results: Should Rep have to have the name attached?

Voters
71. This poll is closed
  • yes, should have name attached

    44 61.97%
  • no, Should not have name attached

    8 11.27%
  • I don't care

    19 26.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 106
  1. #1
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,232

    Should Rep have the name attached?

    OK, not for being D-bags, but to have a real discussion here..

    Should MTBR have your name/handle attached to Rep when you give it to prevent people using other peoples name... ?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,009
    As one of the (probably many) victims of anonymous trolling neg rep, I vote a resounding "YES!"

  3. #3
    Beer Me!
    Reputation: Guerdonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,097
    Ok, i voted yes. But here is my actual opinion on the subject.

    IMO if your not an arse then the +rep received usually outweights your -rep. Thus the only reason why one would care for a neg rep to be signed is to retaliate. Without the anonymity (spelling?) anyone who gets -repped will probably -rep back the person that gave it to them. This is a good thing for people being A$$hats, and leaving neg rep for no good reason, but a bad thing if a person deserves neg rep, and the person giving it to them wants to remain unknown. Man that was a long way of saying that.


    I don't leave much neg rep, and the few times i have i think i have signed it.

    The only reason why i think it should be autosigned is the posers signing other peoples names, and also to discourage the sissy neg repping that i have seen lately.

  4. #4
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    Ok, i voted yes. But here is my actual opinion on the subject.

    IMO if your not an arse then the +rep received usually outweights your -rep. Thus the only reason why one would care for a neg rep to be signed is to retaliate. Without the anonymity (spelling?) anyone who gets -repped will probably -rep back the person that gave it to them. This is a good thing for people being A$$hats, and leaving neg rep for no good reason, but a bad thing if a person deserves neg rep, and the person giving it to them wants to remain unknown. Man that was a long way of saying that.


    I don't leave much neg rep, and the few times i have i think i have signed it.

    The only reason why i think it should be autosigned is the posers signing other peoples names, and also to discourage the sissy neg repping that i have seen lately.
    I agree 100% with everything you said.. but the last line is the reason I started this, to see if we can stop the poser(s) who use others name
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  5. #5
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,621
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    I agree 100% with everything you said.. but the last line is the reason I started this, to see if we can stop the poser(s) who use others name
    assume the signed name is a fake - easy peasy.
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  6. #6
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    assume the signed name is a fake - easy peasy.
    ya,.. true.. but again.. we're dealing with thousands of people here, and let's say I give someone new-ish bad rep, and sign your name they are going to not only -rep you but also probably start sending harassing PM's and/or start a feud in the thread... just easier and less work for Mods if the name was attached right?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cerebroside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    938
    Voted no.

    I'm curious as to what people want the names for, if not to retaliate. Even if someone neg reps you and signs it as someone else, if you're not going to neg rep them back then who cares?

  8. #8
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,621
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    ya,.. true.. but again.. we're dealing with thousands of people here, and let's say I give someone new-ish bad rep, and sign your name they are going to not only -rep you but also probably start sending harassing PM's and/or start a feud in the thread... just easier and less work for Mods if the name was attached right?
    no....it would be a giant mess of retaliatory butt-hurt poo-fling whining...

    I would lose my marbles and go on a lipstick sporting, pantyhose wearing ban-spree until i was taken out by an admin (or rockcrusher)....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation: marpilli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,993
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    I would lose my marbles and go on a lipstick sporting, pantyhose wearing ban-spree until i was taken out by an admin (or rockcrusher)....

  10. #10
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Most of the people seem to be doin alright as far as rep goes (unless your name is david copperfield) right?



    And could my vote be changed from no to I don't care please?

  11. #11
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    Voted no.

    I'm curious as to what people want the names for, if not to retaliate. Even if someone neg reps you and signs it as someone else, if you're not going to neg rep them back then who cares?
    because down the road, if someone honest gives you advice, but you ignore it because you THINK they gave you a neg rep, or if you need advice, and they have good advice to give but don't because they think you gave them a neg rep...

    basically it comes down to ,.. should people be held responsible for their actions?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  12. #12
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    because down the road, if someone honest gives you advice, but you ignore it because you THINK they gave you a neg rep, or if you need advice, and they have good advice to give but don't because they think you gave them a neg rep...

    basically it comes down to ,.. should people be held responsible for their actions?



    Its the interweb, no one is responsible for anything. Just sayin.

  13. #13
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,621
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    crap...forgot the winkie...

    so here ya go
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,009
    IMHO, anonymous rep encourages trolling. It's the same principle as the dislike button on YouTube. Someone can come along and hit that button just for shts 'n giggles. It happens all the time on YouTube.

    Here on MTBR, I have received anonymous trolling neg rep with ridiculous comments, such as the "pale legs for a California girl" comment I got with my first anonymous neg rep. Why did I get that comment, you ask? Because I posted a picture I took with flash of a mtb crash wound on my leg. Anyone who's ever used a camera knows that flash makes skin look lighter.

    The second time I received anonymous neg rep claiming that I was "no match" for a certain video poster. I got that rep because I dared to post one of my ride videos in the "Videos and POV Cameras" subforum. I never criticized anyone else's videos. I just stated that all my videos have natural sound with no music added.

    Unfortunately I don't have a link to provide, as that poster was banned (thankfully!) and all his posts were deleted.

  15. #15
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Can I sell my rep? Auction it off for charity?

  16. #16
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    no....it would be a giant mess of retaliatory butt-hurt poo-fling whining...

    I would lose my marbles and go on a lipstick sporting, pantyhose wearing ban-spree until i was taken out by an admin (or rockcrusher)....
    OHH NOOOOO






    Oh wait, this one's better!!!!




    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,009
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    you really do have pale legs....

    sexy too...




    * i just threw up a little *


    I know it wasn't you who gave me that rep. They didn't have enough rep power to make a difference.

  18. #18
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,621
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    OHH NOOOOO






    Oh wait, this one's better!!!!

    [imghttp://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/32500/Transgender-Mr-Bean--32788.jpg[/img]


    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    more like:
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,009
    I post on RBR too, which is a sister site of MTBR. Your username is attached to your rep there, and the only time I ever received negative rep on RBR was when there was a misunderstanding over an old thread I started and the whole thread got taken out of context. You actually had to earn negative rep over there. Here, you don't even have to p!ss someone off to get it. You can be the nicest person in the world and you still get dinged, due to the anonymous nature of the rep and the trolls that come and go.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FLMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    974

    We the people ...

    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrainuphill View Post
    You can be the nicest person in the world and you still get dinged, due to the anonymous nature of the rep and the trolls that come and go.
    True, trolls can give you an occasional negative rep.. but most dont have much to give, and they can only hit you again after hitting 100 other people.. Most trolls dont have the attention span to go back and hit you again.

    If you give good advice on here, you really dont have to worry about the occasional bad rep, and the green you get will far outweigh the red.

    The problem I see with handles being attached to rep is... some people on here, while they may have a lot of green cause they average 15 posts a day.... they truly dont have much substance to their posts. Then they can retaliate for the sole sake of revenge after getting red, even though they post false information in technical threads.

    Yes, anonymous reps open the opportunity for anonymous names being attached, you just have to simply ignore the name and believe it to be false.

  21. #21
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    more like:
    baahaHAAHAAhhaahaa

    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,009
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMike View Post
    True, trolls can give you an occasional negative rep.. but most dont have much to give, and they can only hit you again after hitting 100 other people.. Most trolls dont have the attention span to go back and hit you again.

    If you give good advice on here, you really dont have to worry about the occasional bad rep, and the green you get will far outweigh the red.

    The problem I see with handles being attached to rep is... some people on here, while they may have a lot of green cause they average 15 posts a day.... they truly dont have much substance to their posts. Then they can retaliate for the sole sake of revenge after getting red, even though they post false information in technical threads.

    Yes, anonymous reps open the opportunity for anonymous names being attached, you just have to simply ignore the name and believe it to be false.
    I agree with everything you're saying. You're right, so far the trolls that have hit me and other posters have had very low rep power.

    Thomllama brings up a good point though in post #6. There have been several recent incidents where a troll signed someone else's name to negative rep. Luckily the mods caught it right away and no fights happened, AFAIK.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FLMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrainuphill View Post
    I agree with everything you're saying. You're right, so far the trolls that have hit me and other posters have had very low rep power.

    Thomllama brings up a good point though in post #6. There have been several recent incidents where a troll signed someone else's name to negative rep. Luckily the mods caught it right away and no fights happened, AFAIK.
    I dont see why a "fight" would happen.. If someone signed their own name to a rep, im sure a private message to them to confirm wouldnt be an issue.. after all, if they signed their name, why would they then deny they did it?

    If you PM'd someone and they denied it, then it would be obvious it was fake...

  24. #24
    banned
    Reputation: marpilli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,993
    FLMike speaks the truth...

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,009
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMike View Post
    I dont see why a "fight" would happen.. If someone signed their own name to a rep, im sure a private message to them to confirm wouldnt be an issue.. after all, if they signed their name, why would they then deny they did it?

    If you PM'd someone and they denied it, then it would be obvious it was fake...
    True, but all this could be avoided if usernames were attached to rep.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    694
    I started a thread in the Pennsylvania fourm talking about "Ticks"
    we were on the topic of Deet products, someone gave me neg rep with this in the cmts
    "Deet!" I just dont get it. If you were a man (or woman) you would post your name. why?
    Whatever...
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,382
    The way I see it, if you had it in for someone
    you could neg rep a lot of people and sign that
    persons name. Then watch the fireworks while
    they take the heat. If you post neg (which I don't)
    you should be held for it.

    Best, John

  28. #28
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,123
    Attaching names to negative rep just encourages retaliatory negative rep. Nothing positive can come from it. If you're so concerned about a negative rep you got, call it out in that thread. So many people keep saying "man up" and yet they're the ones advocating forcing the system to change around their inability to handle criticism or idiots. Yeah, trolls giving out negative rep bothers me a bit but if I were concerned with how many little green squares are under my name then I would at least tone down the level of a-hole I am on the board.

    I've tried calling out people who left me inane negative reps in threads and it is always met with crickets and tumbleweed. Let it go and move on.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skullcap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    923
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    Ok, i voted yes. But here is my actual opinion on the subject.

    IMO if your not an arse then the +rep received usually outweights your -rep. Thus the only reason why one would care for a neg rep to be signed is to retaliate. Without the anonymity (spelling?) anyone who gets -repped will probably -rep back the person that gave it to them. This is a good thing for people being A$$hats, and leaving neg rep for no good reason, but a bad thing if a person deserves neg rep, and the person giving it to them wants to remain unknown. Man that was a long way of saying that.


    I don't leave much neg rep, and the few times i have i think i have signed it.

    The only reason why i think it should be autosigned is the posers signing other peoples names, and also to discourage the sissy neg repping that i have seen lately.


    Also agree with this 100%.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

  30. #30
    REALLY?
    Reputation: jeffgothro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,098
    I voted yes, but ultimatly I really think I dont care...

    I called them out anyway...

    http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discu...ml#post9160214

    I'm sure whoever wont step up...(whatever shrugs)

    Funny though...someone actually agreed w/ me (same thread #9)

    As for those who dont agree...WHATEVER!
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

  31. #31
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Attaching names to negative rep just encourages retaliatory negative rep. Nothing positive can come from it. If you're so concerned about a negative rep you got, call it out in that thread. ..................
    I don't give a crap about Neg rep.. i care that the trolls are signing other's names to them to cause issues between two normally friendly people.

    Why would there be an issue with having your name next to a Neg? the only thing it's going to do is keep people from posting crap because they will be held responsible for their comments. Then the fighting can be in PM's or what ever instead of in a otherwise positive and informative thread. I just can't see why anyone honest would need to hide..?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  32. #32
    REALLY?
    Reputation: jeffgothro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    I just can't see why anyone honest would need to hide..?
    Yeah, confused here too...
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,542
    I stopped looking at my rep. Why ruin my day with anonymous d-bags with nothing better to do than spread negativity? Unfortunately, I have no idea who is giving me positive rep because I don't want to read my negative rep.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,009
    Here's a radical idea that many may not agree with. How about removing the neg rep feature entirely?

    I used to post on a law enforcement forum years ago that had the rep feature. I never got neg rep because I watched my p's and q's like you wouldn't believe. I even ended up with a full stick of green. But I witnessed a lot of bullying of new posters who asked questions in their "Ask a Cop" section. Many of these posters ended up with red rep, even full sticks of red.

    That forum attached usernames to rep, but it always boiled down to cops vs. citizens. Like in real life, it's your word against theirs.

    Eventually things got so out of hand that they disabled neg rep entirely. You could only give positive rep. IMHO, that's the way it should be. If you disagree with someone, then say something in the thread with the post you disagree with. Don't just hit a button. Give constructive criticism when necessary, use the "report post" feature to report obvious troll posts, and call out people who are trying to stir the pot. Be civil about it though.

    Vimeo.com and contour.com only have "like" buttons on videos. Vimeo even states that their site is "respectful". Guess what? I don't see the fighting and childish insults being slung back and forth on those two sites like I do on YouTube, which is a bastion of stupidity.

  35. #35
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrainuphill View Post
    Here's a radical idea that many may not agree with. How about removing the neg rep feature entirely?

    I used to post on a law enforcement forum years ago that had the rep feature. I never got neg rep because I watched my p's and q's like you wouldn't believe. I even ended up with a full stick of green. But I witnessed a lot of bullying of new posters who asked questions in their "Ask a Cop" section. Many of these posters ended up with red rep, even full sticks of red.

    That forum attached usernames to rep, but it always boiled down to cops vs. citizens. Like in real life, it's your word against theirs.

    Eventually things got so out of hand that they disabled neg rep entirely. You could only give positive rep. IMHO, that's the way it should be. If you disagree with someone, then say something in the thread with the post you disagree with. Don't just hit a button. Give constructive criticism when necessary, use the "report post" feature to report obvious troll posts, and call out people who are trying to stir the pot. Be civil about it though.

    Vimeo.com and contour.com only have "like" buttons on videos. Vimeo even states that their site is "respectful". Guess what? I don't see the fighting and childish insults being slung back and forth on those two sites like I do on YouTube, which is a bastion of stupidity.
    best idea yet.... stops the trolls as they have no bridge to hide under
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cerebroside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    938
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrainuphill View Post
    Here's a radical idea that many may not agree with. How about removing the neg rep feature entirely?

    ...
    This is probably the best way to resolve things, I doubt people care so much about giving neg rep as to complain if it was disabled.

    If people are giving out incorrect information (or whatever else) then correcting them in the thread is a lot more constructive.

  37. #37
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Just pos. rep ? Just scrap the whole thing. This starting to sound like there are no winners or losers and everyone gets a trophy. Sorry, but if you can't take a bit of adversity I'm sure there are other forums that always play nice. My two cents.

  38. #38
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,320
    Has anybody has gotten a signed (-) rep from a long term, high chicklet member?
    Anyone? Except for one ego-centric nutjob, all (-) rep I've gotten has been from low rated noob's, and the (+) reps received far outweigh their real impact.

    The anonymous azzhats are certainly annoying, yet have no sting. If they sign another's name they will be discovered by sending a PM to the Mods, and will rapidly be banned. (* check LW & DB).

    Do agree that all should be held accountable, yet why start a pissing war, when all can be avoided by posting to the active thread. Isn't this the whole idea of an " open forum"? If anyone thinks I'm being a d-bag, am totally wrong, or full of shiite - call me out on the forum, I can take it, plus it's far more entertaining than sniping somebody with an unsigned comment.

    See far too much potential for pooh-flinging and packing perma grudges.
    Please, take it off the hook, and go hit the dirt!

  39. #39
    wannabee
    Reputation: giantbikeboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,125
    voted yes. let the mayhem begin. GBB
    .....

  40. #40
    wannabee
    Reputation: giantbikeboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,125
    "for being in a rep whore thread" because of InterNetChiken$hits like this. GBB
    .....

  41. #41
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,038
    man, look at all the rep in the this thread. Nary a 1 or 3 chicklet in the bunch. Once you pop over the 5 chicklet range rep really doesn't matter. Obviously you have made contributions, obviously most people have agreed and obviously you will have some detractors.

    It ain't high school, rep isn't the head cheerleader asking you out or the football captain, nor is negative rep getting pants in student assembly. It just isn't worth the effort everyone puts into it.

    I rep people when I really like something, it saves me from a stupid post like "Aw man that is awesome!" instead the user gets a little private message from me and everyone else doesn't need to read it. If I get negative rep I get negative rep. If you sign it makes me feel warm inside, if you don't I don't care.

    It just doesn't matter.

    <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g3S_k1dRbXY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Try this: HTFU

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FLMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by giantbikeboy View Post
    "for being in a rep whore thread" because of InterNetChiken$hits like this. GBB
    which post did you get this rep from?

  43. #43
    Big Boy
    Reputation: texasnavy05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMike View Post
    True, trolls can give you an occasional negative rep.. but most dont have much to give, and they can only hit you again after hitting 100 other people.. Most trolls dont have the attention span to go back and hit you again.

    If you give good advice on here, you really dont have to worry about the occasional bad rep, and the green you get will far outweigh the red.

    The problem I see with handles being attached to rep is... some people on here, while they may have a lot of green cause they average 15 posts a day.... they truly dont have much substance to their posts. Then they can retaliate for the sole sake of revenge after getting red, even though they post false information in technical threads.

    Yes, anonymous reps open the opportunity for anonymous names being attached, you just have to simply ignore the name and believe it to be false.

    very well put.

    what sucks is if someone like me gets a neg rep from somebody with a lot of chiclets, its gonna hurt me quite a bit (and I'm a freaking jewel in the rough)

    I would like to think that if i negged somebody for something legit and left my sig they wouldnt retaliate, but i'm willing to bet they would. people dont like to be disagreed with.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

  44. #44
    Titanium junkie
    Reputation: Loudviking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,429
    I will admit that I call people out on a thread, especially
    if they are smacking around someone new. Sure we can all HTFU,
    but it sure puts the forum in my opinion in a bad light when some newb
    comes on with a silly question or comment that to them is important, and they
    get bull-rushed by the"Experienced" forum members.Had that happen to me with
    almost my first post, cause I have an Airborne. I have yet to give a neg rep, and won't,
    but I will find out why an opinion that someone has is B.S., if it doesn't agree with the majority.
    Frankly, I voted wrong, just get rid of the whole rep system, and if your helpful and decent to
    others, it will show without the green stick.
    .
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

  45. #45
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,320
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05 View Post
    very well put.

    what sucks is if someone like me gets a neg rep from somebody with a lot of chiclets, its gonna hurt me quite a bit (and I'm a freaking jewel in the rough)

    I would like to think that if i negged somebody for something legit and left my sig they wouldnt retaliate, but i'm willing to bet they would. people dont like to be disagreed with.
    Have you actually gotten (-) rep from someone packing lots O' chicklets?
    Or is this a rhetorical ?

  46. #46
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,880
    You forgot the most important option on your poll:

    "Remove the rep thing from this website!"

    ...therefore, I cannot vote.

  47. #47
    Big Boy
    Reputation: texasnavy05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Have you actually gotten (-) rep from someone packing lots O' chicklets?
    Or is this a rhetorical ?
    No, I havent. Those guys are typically more patient than most.

    Picture this: three people around a campfire roasting marshmallows and doing the camping thing. Somebody starts telling ghosts stories. You start getting kinda scared and then you think you hear something walking behind you. Then you notice the shadow of a big chic'o'stik coming from over your shoulder.

    Next thing you know, the token guy is dead and its just you and the ditzy blonde trying to outrun the chic'o'stik.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

  48. #48
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,320
    TN05,
    Yes, I can picture it, and it's all good - if you're faster than the blonde.
    Seems that few, if any have gotten (-) rep from a Chicklet Hoarder, so unless telling ghost stories, please don't scream before you've been hit.

  49. #49
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    Ok, i voted yes. But here is my actual opinion on the subject.

    IMO if your not an arse then the +rep received usually outweights your -rep. Thus the only reason why one would care for a neg rep to be signed is to retaliate. Without the anonymity (spelling?) anyone who gets -repped will probably -rep back the person that gave it to them. This is a good thing for people being A$$hats, and leaving neg rep for no good reason, but a bad thing if a person deserves neg rep, and the person giving it to them wants to remain unknown. Man that was a long way of saying that.


    I don't leave much neg rep, and the few times i have i think i have signed it.

    The only reason why i think it should be autosigned is the posers signing other peoples names, and also to discourage the sissy neg repping that i have seen lately.
    yup, this.

  50. #50
    better than I deserve
    Reputation: roblee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    478
    They need to do away with the rep power completely.
    Let status be for how many posts like some other boards and the more posts you have a different status under your name appears.
    That would eliminate a lot of the childish rep games that go on.

    I voted yes by the way at least then half the crap would end.No more anonymous pot shots.

    I only have 2 chiclets and I piped in...lol
    Last edited by roblee; 04-05-2012 at 09:54 PM.

  51. #51
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Has anybody has gotten a signed (-) rep from a long term, high chicklet member?
    ...
    Yes - CHUM gave me a yellow square - I insulter another member (called someone a tool or jagoff or 'something')

    Also, others have gotten a neg from me (I suppose I might be an atleast mid-term/high chicklet member).
    I -neg rep pretty often, about 40/60 (neg/pos) - And always sign for Negs. - Usually for being a bonehead or touting bad info. (what the -neg rep is for)
    I think the anonymous is fine for the reason of retaliation, though they are tit-for-tat mentality and will take each-other down anyway.

    I think most my -reps are pretty asinine/funny (of course, unsigned) like my last one which read; "Sock-puppets can give negative rep back" - grey square - for a thread that was choc-full of bad info.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,382
    I also got a neg rep from a high chicklet
    member. I still don't know if he was serious
    or jerking my chain. I laughed because he
    signed it, which has never happened before.

    Best, John

  53. #53
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    i am missing something. how can you give gray or yellow feedback chicklets? i only see "approve" and "disapprove", which I assume translate to green or red.

  54. #54
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    i am missing something. how can you give gray or yellow feedback chicklets? i only see "approve" and "disapprove", which I assume translate to green or red.
    grays and yellows are rep given by people who have little or no Rep power...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  55. #55
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    i am missing something. how can you give gray or yellow feedback chicklets? i only see "approve" and "disapprove", which I assume translate to green or red.
    yellows are from mods
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  56. #56
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    yellows are from mods
    ohhhh I didn't know that... those are the worst one to get then
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  57. #57
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    ahh, i see. thanks.

  58. #58
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,621
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    Yes - CHUM gave me a yellow square - I insulter another member (called someone a tool or jagoff or 'something')


    that's not rep - that's an infraction (think getting a card in soccer). It may ding you a little - but no much.

    I've only given you +rep:
    "14:43, 9th Sep 2011 +rep 4 U....but watch the language por favor - Love, CHUM"

    in fact I pos repped ytou for the infraction I had to dole out...ya knuckle head

    Click Here for Forum Rules

  59. #59
    Clyde on a mission!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrainuphill View Post
    Here's a radical idea that many may not agree with. How about removing the neg rep feature entirely?
    Here's another radical idea, why not just stop worrying about rep, it's just green dots under your avatar, they don't do anything..

    I like the rep system as it is. It has absolutely zero influence on ones ability to read or post, it totally doesn't matter. I can give someone a virtual pad on the back if I like what he/she posted or I can yank the chains of those that are way too obsessed with those pointless green dots just for the fun of it.. If I think someone is an asshat I say so out in the open..

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,009
    I'm not worried about the influence of the low rep power trolls on my rep score. I would like to remove the ability for the trolls to get their jollies. That is all.

  61. #61
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrainuphill View Post
    I'm not worried about the influence of the low rep power trolls on my rep score. I would like to remove the ability for the trolls to get their jollies. That is all.
    me too.. reason I started this thread...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  62. #62
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,038
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrainuphill View Post
    I'm not worried about the influence of the low rep power trolls on my rep score. I would like to remove the ability for the trolls to get their jollies. That is all.
    Inherent in troll is the need to be a juvenile ass on the internet. If they aren't negative repping they will be flaming or PMing or whatever. It is like grafitti: at a certain point you just accept it because there is no way to stop it completely. You accept a certain level and that is that.

    Same thing with trolls, just accept it and go about your posting and contributions.
    Try this: HTFU

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,009
    True, I guess a neg rep is less of a headache for the mods than flaming and PM harassment (as long as the troll doesn't sign someone else's name, that is ).

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,500
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I rep people when I really like something, it saves me from a stupid post like "Aw man that is awesome!" instead the user gets a little private message from me and everyone else doesn't need to read it.
    I think the main value in posting an attaboy is that it bumps good content.

    Cheers...

    Mike

  65. #65
    Clyde on a mission!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrainuphill View Post
    I'm not worried about the influence of the low rep power trolls on my rep score. I would like to remove the ability for the trolls to get their jollies. That is all.
    Sure you're worried. You made a big stink about a bit of neg rep in that "this is just cruel" thread and now you're suggesting to abolish neg rep. You fool nobody, you DO care about your rep..

    Easiest way to spoil the fun for the trolls is to ignore it and not bother..

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrenseren View Post
    Sure you're worried. You made a big stink about a bit of neg rep in that "this is just cruel" thread and now you're suggesting to abolish neg rep. You fool nobody, you DO care about your rep..

    Easiest way to spoil the fun for the trolls is to ignore it and not bother..


    I don't care about the effect of that poster's neg rep on my rep score, but I do care about the possibility of my thread being taken out of context. The last thing I want when I start a thread is to give people the wrong impression. I don't want one of my threads to end in a flame war, so I try to word things careully to avoid that.

    You're right about ignoring the trolls though.

  67. #67
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    20,397
    there will always be rep games.

    if "rep" is handled as just your post count, there will be post count padders. if we ban rep whoring threads, the rep whoring will happen behind the scenes.

    whatever.

    I use the rep feature the way (I hope) it was intended. I rep folks for good advice, I give rep for interjecting good-natured humor, and I give rep for awesome stoke. I neg rep for hateful comments, truly bad advice (it needs to be really bad advice to earn a neg rep. if it's only a slightly bit of bad advice, then I only refute it in the forums). I don't give out silly negs and I don't give out a neg just because I disagree. I have given both pos and neg reps to people who have posted in this thread. I know I have received some pos rep from folks in this thread, but I do not know who has negged me because all negs given to me have been unsigned.

    I don't hand out a lot of rep either way, but I sign all of it. sometimes that's to my detriment. occasionally I have negged someone, only for them to make a pos-worthy comment days or weeks later in another thread, but I cannot pos them for it because I haven't given out enough rep. that brings to mind a question - would it be possible to change the 100 reps policy to be reps of the same type to a person? say, for me to neg someone again, I have to post 100 reps, but for me to give someone I had previously negged a pos rep, I would not have to do that? likewise for someone I gave a pos to, for me to pos them again, I have to hand out 100 like it is now, but for me to neg them, I would not have to hand out that much? I think this would be good in threads where someone is completely off-base, gets negged a bunch for it, and then changes their tune days or weeks later, which would warrant some pos rep?

    I do not have reason to believe anyone has negged me in retaliation for any of the neg rep I have handed out. And for this reason, I believe that mandatory signing of rep actually would work with very little retaliatory rep being handed out.

    one comment, though. I have heard mention of "infractions" a couple of times, but this is the first time I've seen any mention that they show up in your rep comments area as yellow chicklets. I have participated in a forum where infractions were publicly displayed underneath your avatar. that was the "rep" function available on that forum. it showed you who caused more trouble in the forum. this might be a useful feature. display infactions beneath a person's avatar for some amount of time after the infraction...maybe a month or something. that way, they don't have infractions hanging over their head indefinitely and good behavior can make them go away, but this can let newbies know that even folks with lots of chicklets can and do get in trouble.

  68. #68
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    582
    I don't even think this whole rep system should exist.

  69. #69
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    73
    What is a rep and why should I care?

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FLMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    there will always be rep games.

    if "rep" is handled as just your post count, there will be post count padders. if we ban rep whoring threads, the rep whoring will happen behind the scenes.
    True, it will happen behind the scenes, but at a significantly smaller scale.

    Yes, there will always be people that get together through Private Message and ask for a return favor for providing positive rep. But its nothing like going into a "rep whoring thread" and just handing out your days worth of reps solely for being a part of it. That right there completely undermines the purpose of reputation.

    Other bulletin boards ive been a part of dont allow people to solicit positive reps (aka "rep whoring threads"), and dont allow for people to solicit others to gang up and bad rep others either. I believe punishment can go from either losing current rep or eventually banishment.

    For reputation to be more effective, it should be done unsolicited and based on someones opinion of the subject matter.

  71. #71
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    20,397
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMike View Post
    Other bulletin boards ive been a part of dont allow people to solicit positive reps (aka "rep whoring threads"), and dont allow for people to solicit others to gang up and bad rep others either. I believe punishment can go from either losing current rep or eventually banishment.

    For reputation to be more effective, it should be done unsolicited and based on someones opinion of the subject matter.
    This is true. It would require mtbr to make a policy change regarding the issue and then there would be an additional load on mods to monitor for those threads and delete them. it would get harder to police pm conversations and rep comments for that sort of behavior. if it was the policy from the beginning, I think it wouldn't have been so much of an issue.

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FLMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    This is true. It would require mtbr to make a policy change regarding the issue and then there would be an additional load on mods to monitor for those threads and delete them. it would get harder to police pm conversations and rep comments for that sort of behavior. if it was the policy from the beginning, I think it wouldn't have been so much of an issue.
    Policing that sort of behavior would be next to impossible, so if people are willing to go to the extent of taking it to PM and such, I say just let them..

  73. #73
    Bro
    Bro is offline
    Content from my avatar
    Reputation: Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,356
    Meh. I sign all rep -- neg and positive.

    I don't give out much rep, but I feel like I give out more negative than positive rep because I give negative rep to let the person know that they're being an idiot or a d-bag or whatever. IMHO, there's no need to do that in the thread -- usually someone has already called them out anyways.

    There was a thread in the Beginner's Corner a few days ago where the OP was giving out some horrendous advice. I neg-repped the OP and explained how his advice was bad -- he was continuing to post this advice after someone corrected him, and I positive-repped the guy who decided to correct the OP.

    I've occasionally given out negative rep to well-respected posters as well, but only as a joke, and I'm usually expecting some negative rep in return for that. It's all fun -- it's generally someone who I can tell won't take it seriously. Who knows -- maybe that's some weird Freudian logic explaining how I express my mockery of the rep system.

    I give people negative rep on RBR too, where it's automatically signed. Same as over here -- I do it because they're being stupid/trolling/whatever, and I've never gotten negative rep back from them.

    I don't care about rep. I like that I have a big green enis, and I like the fact that I can be a total nerd and show my friends (in real life) that I'm one of the biggest posters on the forum, but it really don't matter.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

  74. #74
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,038
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    there will always be rep games.

    if "rep" is handled as just your post count, there will be post count padders. if we ban rep whoring threads, the rep whoring will happen behind the scenes.

    whatever.

    I use the rep feature the way (I hope) it was intended. I rep folks for good advice, I give rep for interjecting good-natured humor, and I give rep for awesome stoke. I neg rep for hateful comments, truly bad advice (it needs to be really bad advice to earn a neg rep. if it's only a slightly bit of bad advice, then I only refute it in the forums). I don't give out silly negs and I don't give out a neg just because I disagree. I have given both pos and neg reps to people who have posted in this thread. I know I have received some pos rep from folks in this thread, but I do not know who has negged me because all negs given to me have been unsigned.

    I don't hand out a lot of rep either way, but I sign all of it. sometimes that's to my detriment. occasionally I have negged someone, only for them to make a pos-worthy comment days or weeks later in another thread, but I cannot pos them for it because I haven't given out enough rep. that brings to mind a question - would it be possible to change the 100 reps policy to be reps of the same type to a person? say, for me to neg someone again, I have to post 100 reps, but for me to give someone I had previously negged a pos rep, I would not have to do that? likewise for someone I gave a pos to, for me to pos them again, I have to hand out 100 like it is now, but for me to neg them, I would not have to hand out that much? I think this would be good in threads where someone is completely off-base, gets negged a bunch for it, and then changes their tune days or weeks later, which would warrant some pos rep?

    I do not have reason to believe anyone has negged me in retaliation for any of the neg rep I have handed out. And for this reason, I believe that mandatory signing of rep actually would work with very little retaliatory rep being handed out.

    one comment, though. I have heard mention of "infractions" a couple of times, but this is the first time I've seen any mention that they show up in your rep comments area as yellow chicklets. I have participated in a forum where infractions were publicly displayed underneath your avatar. that was the "rep" function available on that forum. it showed you who caused more trouble in the forum. this might be a useful feature. display infactions beneath a person's avatar for some amount of time after the infraction...maybe a month or something. that way, they don't have infractions hanging over their head indefinitely and good behavior can make them go away, but this can let newbies know that even folks with lots of chicklets can and do get in trouble.
    we have infractions as well and you may occasionally see people with them. However they are applied by moderator and up users and since we only have a handful of those we don't use them that much. I mostly use them as a means to deliver a warning. Which is what I give as a precursor to a time out (usually depending on the infraction), which is what I give out before I ban outright.

    If we had a couple of thousand users it would be cake but I think we have somewhere in the range of a quarter million registered users and of those I would think that somewhere in the range of 30-50 thousand are active any given day. Factor that in and you see why you rarely see the infractions, either yellow or red card.

    It is what it is and as I have said in numerous other posts it isn't worth worrying about, fishing for or crying about the occasional negative score.
    Try this: HTFU

  75. #75
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post


    that's not rep - that's an infraction (think getting a card in soccer). It may ding you a little - but no much.

    I've only given you +rep:
    "14:43, 9th Sep 2011 +rep 4 U....but watch the language por favor - Love, CHUM"

    in fact I pos repped ytou for the infraction I had to dole out...ya knuckle head

    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    Yes - CHUM gave me a yellow square - I insulted another member (called someone a tool or jagoff or 'something')
    I just said a 'yellow square' - not a 'rep'

    -ya blockhead
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    one comment, though. I have heard mention of "infractions" a couple of times, but this is the first time I've seen any mention that they show up in your rep comments area as yellow chicklets.
    Maybe I should have been more clear - I was just pointing out that there is another color chicklet (that most don't get to savor! )

    It is not in the 'rep' section - it is just above it.
    I wonder if it goes away after a period of time - or if I have to look at a warning forever. It says it expired a while ago - yet...
    I spoke my mind publicly - I guess I could've hid it in the neg-rep.

    Here's My Post - *note the yellow button to the right in the thread
    Offending comment below

    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    ^^^ the illegal occupation of buildings , looting and arsonists are not the protesters and need to be arrested.


    If you don't believe what I wrote, that's your problem - but I am not clueless - I have seen it 1st hand.
    If you need second-hand proof, there are countless vids on youtube - many just covering OWS and alike.

    All that aside, do you not believe he had a life threatening injury for being beaten so hard and had to wait 18 hours in custody for medical attention? - what type action deserves that kind of beating? - NONE . Subdue, cuff and transport - Do not wail, punch and kick - EVER.

    F.T.P.

    Oh and No Offence, but you are a Dipstick
    I <3 Bikes called someone a 'dolt' but his post is not yellow Dolts < Dipsticks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Should Rep have the name attached?-chum-warning.jpg  

    Last edited by highdelll; 04-07-2012 at 07:56 AM.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  76. #76
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    Wow, you said "no offense", and everything.

  77. #77
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,232
    baaaahaaa I just read the "sock puppets can give Negitive rep back" comment...

    funny thing is,.. he can't as he has no rep power!!!! LOLOLOL now that's funny!!!
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,009
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    baaaahaaa I just read the "sock puppets can give Negitive rep back" comment...

    funny thing is,.. he can't as he has no rep power!!!! LOLOLOL now that's funny!!!
    Ever notice that trolls don't know how to spell? Check out this gem I got a few minutes ago: "Your to slow uphill". Anonymous, of course.

    Wow, it takes a BIG MAN to pick on a female rider who is still in the process of losing weight, doesn't it? The sad thing is, this "rider" actually had enough rep power to ding me 6 rep points.

    I'm starting to believe that the ideas other posters have of completely abolishing the rep system is probably the best idea yet.

  79. #79
    banned
    Reputation: marpilli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrenseren View Post
    Easiest way to spoil the fun for the trolls is to ignore it and not bother..
    This ^^^^ times 100...

    If you give in and complain about negative rep the trolls win. Don't let it get to you. The positive rep flowing around more than makes up for any trivial negative repping.

  80. #80
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    Wow, you said "no offense", and everything.
    well, that was a tongue-in-cheek remark the the guy I was responding to, who said, "No offense but you are clueless."
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  81. #81
    REALLY?
    Reputation: jeffgothro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,098
    I just got neg-repped for posting in this thread - whatever dude.

    Name:  rep.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  20.6 KB
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

  82. #82
    Sweep the leg!
    Reputation: Caffeine Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,805
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    assume the signed name is a fake - easy peasy.
    Never sign fake names to comments. Ever.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

  83. #83
    Sweep the leg!
    Reputation: Caffeine Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,805
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Can I sell my rep? Auction it off for charity?
    have you tried selling it on a street corner?
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

  84. #84
    Sweep the leg!
    Reputation: Caffeine Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,805
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Inherent in troll is the need to be a juvenile ass on the internet.
    I think that statement is true about males between the ages of 10 and 100, and it isn't restricted to the internet.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    I think that statement is true about males between the ages of 10 and 100, and it isn't restricted to the internet.
    Females too, although maybe not as much.

  86. #86
    REALLY?
    Reputation: jeffgothro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    Never sign fake names to comments. Ever.
    Thanks CP
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

  87. #87
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,583
    I wouldnt mind getting rid of the rep system completely. I know who the good posters are by what they say in the posts, not by how many green squares are under their name.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  88. #88
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    but that would mean our super-secret LIGHT-green chicklet club would go away!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  89. #89
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,583
    Meh... You gotta ask yourself why you are here posting in the first place. It seems like some people here are in it to extend their "green e-penis".
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  90. #90
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Meh... You gotta ask yourself why you are here posting in the first place. It seems like some people here are in it to extend their "green e-penis".
    really? seems like most here with more rep "e-penis" have been here well before the rep thing was implemented...
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  91. #91
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,583
    That is very true. Those people arent the ones whoring themselves out either. Thats the part of the system that bothers me the most. But thats a different rant for a different thread!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  92. #92
    inexperienced at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,872
    I feel that rep should remain anonymous. For a long while, I strongly supported the requirement of a signature for either way. However, that all changed after one experience. I left a negative reputation and signed it saying something along the lines of, "if you have nothing constructive to say, you may as well keep it to yourself ~ehigh" on a post that I truly felt was inane and insulting. He got back to me and sent me a nasty message full of hatred. Because of that, I wouldn't sign another negative reputation. I hardly give out negative rep, but all the same, I support the anonymity of the system. "Get over it," I feel that a required signature would only perpetuate drama.

  93. #93
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    ^^^ I don't think it should be required either - but I don't think you should hold back on signing your name.

    Signing your name just shows that you're not a coward and can take whatever childish repercussions.
    or maybe they are not childish and deserved (I have a couple )
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  94. #94
    I Ride Bikes
    Reputation: Mazukea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,746
    ahhh...even several months ago, rep was littered in controversy.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!
    INSTAGRAM -> hawaii808MTB
    FACEBOOK -> Big Island Mountain Biking

  95. #95
    inexperienced at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,872
    Blast from the past

    Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

  96. #96
    meow meow
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,622
    yes, it has stopped the neg rep trolls.

  97. #97
    meow meow
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,622
    i change me mind, this is a mess.

  98. #98
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    i change me mind, this is a mess.
    ? the negative trolls have stopped as far as I can see... seems FAR better now
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  99. #99
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,220
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    no....it would be a giant mess of retaliatory butt-hurt poo-fling whining...
    And that is exactly what happened. Thus you handing lockouts.

  100. #100
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,220
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    ? the negative trolls have stopped as far as I can see... seems FAR better now
    It is only better for people who obsessively watch over their private comments. Otherwise, no change whatsoever, except it is harder to tag obvious trolls because of the new limits and poo flinging.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •